Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BigDave posted:

Any thoughts on the Bushmaster XM15-E2S? I'm thinking about making the plunge and getting a scary black rifle. :tfrxmas:

BCM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pin it with a 5 round mag and it would be legal here :ca:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kinda falling in love with the ruger scout

That's fine...Ruger makes a lot of magical guns that I want.

That said if it's legal were someone lives, don't forget the Maxim9 for all your space gun needs. That said you might not get it till after the missiles fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Fbaz3T7Rc

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smiling Jack posted:

Don't get the XDS

Why?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mike-o posted:

But man we got a lot more dudes in here that like guns than I realized

This is GiP after all.

the Ruger RPR looks like a good starting point for shopping. Theres a whole thread for optics in TFR too, but its TFR so...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

What's your optics budget?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mike-o posted:

Just stick with the standard stuff, 5.56, 9mm, .22. Usually if you look you can find stuff in bulk that's cheap plinker ammo.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to looking up CT and MA laws, trying to do job search stuff but I'll have something for you guys tomorrow. But man we got a lot more dudes in here that like guns than I realized so hopefully someone finds the answers for you before my slow rear end does.

I already dug into MA stuff on my own. Found a decent breakdown here: [URL] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Massachusetts [/URL]

Like I said, mag restrictions + awb rules here make it look like a rifle is probably not worthwhile. Plus I need to go get MA firearms licensed since apparently my MN firearms cert doesn't transfer.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Where does Armalite fall in the spectrum of AR's?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Oh poo poo I forgot about the Ruger Precision Rifle as a bolt gun. Ruger came up with this budget sniper platform by having their engineers hang out on the SnipersHide forums and mining them for information. By all reports this gun is astounding and it can hit out to something like 1800 yards or something crazy with 6.5 creedmore.

Considering that I can't remember the last time I saw clear terrain past 500 yards, it's not for me, but it's definitely a rifle I'd consider

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smiling Jack posted:

Price point isn't much improved over the Glock and it has a grip safety. Earlier generations has serious reliability issues.

NYPD just authorized it for off duty so I assume reliability issues were mitigated, but it doesn't do anything a Glock doesn't do better.

I've never held a Glock that felt comfortable, so they're out right off the bat. I borrowed a Shield a couple of weeks ago...it shot well, but didn't feel especially well put together.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Rat posted:

What's your optics budget?

~$800 baring obvious advantages that an extra few hundred would get me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just want to chime in that im the pr0est of operators and totally rock a H&K USP .45

but the best loving pistol i own is one of those German police Sig P6s that made their way over here like 10 years ago

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

M_Gargantua posted:

~$800 baring obvious advantages that an extra few hundred would get me.

This is a good basic scope in that price range. First focal plane mildot reticle, mil adjustments: https://www.natchezss.com/scope-tactical-3-15x50-mil-adj.html

Your next step up would be a used Bushnell HDMR for $1200ish or a new Burris 4-20 XTRII w/ H591 reticle in my opinion. I really like mil-based reticles and I really like Horus stuff.

e:

Bolow posted:

Where does Armalite fall in the spectrum of AR's?

I hate to phrase it this way, but they're kind of has-beens. I know they're still in business, but I can't remember the last time I saw one on a shelf or heard of them producing anything new or innovative. Their product line is stagnant.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Has anyone shot a sig mcx? I love the idea of a folding stock rifle but I haven't heard anything positive about it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll throw out an option for a .308 bolt gun. The FN TSR whatever they call them. I picked one up off a dude living in the barracks for cheap who needed spice money and had never fired the thing. When I was shooting regularly I could cold shot a target the size of my fist at 300 yards with factory ammo. Now I can't find a loving range anywhere near but I still got it.

Also for a carry piece you could also look an FN. I've got an FNX-9. I don't actually carry it, but you can count on it to bang every time, and it's a polymer frame with (mostly) metal guts, and a metal slide. It's as plasticy as I'll ever be willing to go because that plastic flex feeling makes me loving crazy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reverand maynard posted:

Has anyone shot a sig mcx? I love the idea of a folding stock rifle but I haven't heard anything positive about it.

It's expensive, the first wave had an accidental MG ability, and expensive proprietary mags. The conceal bag in the ads was kind of cool...hell the ads were the coolest thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtDJSUxzqg8

It's 9mm vs 556, but look into the CZ Scorpion, if you can do an SBR in your state. It's still cheaper than the MCX.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nah dawg the MCX is the 5.56 rifle. Different from the subgun MPX.

I haven't seen anyone bring an MCX out to a match, so I have no input there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sky shark posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about the Ruger Precision Rifle as a bolt gun. Ruger came up with this budget sniper platform by having their engineers hang out on the SnipersHide forums and mining them for information. By all reports this gun is astounding and it can hit out to something like 1800 yards or something crazy with 6.5 creedmore.

Considering that I can't remember the last time I saw clear terrain past 500 yards, it's not for me, but it's definitely a rifle I'd consider

After that and their scout rifle it feels like they are doing a good job of making guns people want.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Rat posted:

Nah dawg the MCX is the 5.56 rifle. Different from the subgun MPX.

I haven't seen anyone bring an MCX out to a match, so I have no input there.

Whoops. That would explain why I kept having trouble finding the video I posted. Also I had no idea the MCX was even a thing vs a typo. :downs:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LingcodKilla posted:

After that and their scout rifle it feels like they are doing a good job of making guns people want.

i keep waffling between a no-poo poo .308 bolt action and the ruger scout. it looks just so amazing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i keep waffling between a no-poo poo .308 bolt action and the ruger scout. it looks just so amazing.

Get the Ruger...so I can live vicariously through you.

Also someone buy their LCR in 9mm I want that too...for reasons.

Also Ruger please make a PCC.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I have a SIG MCX, and it's pretty nice. The collapsing stock wasn't available when I bought mine, I'm debating replacing my side folder with the collapsing stock. Cheekweld with the sidefolder sucks, but the compact size is nice. I will probably be replacing the ambidextrous safeties with nicer ones as I'm a lefty shooter. The MCX was designed to be suppressed from day 1, which is a big reason I bought it.

That said, they have a recall going on right now to replace the bolt carrier assembly & firing pin to replace the floating firing pin with one that prevents slam fires due to a spring.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Alternate budget bolt action: Tikka T3, dickload of options for stock/caliber/etc and a direct price competitor for Savage.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Alternate budget bolt action: Tikka T3, dickload of options for stock/caliber/etc and a direct price competitor for Savage.

Bought a used one of those once in 30-06....goddamn was the gun fantastic. I mean just a great gun. That said I wouldn't really call it budget or in the same price point as Savage.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

I've never held a Glock that felt comfortable, so they're out right off the bat. I borrowed a Shield a couple of weeks ago...it shot well, but didn't feel especially well put together.

If you're willing to go Spacegun, the Walther PPS Gen1 is a nice little gun and very thin. I haven't messed around with the Gen2 yet.

ded posted:

So whats the best ammo for a home defense shotgun?

#1, 0, or 00 buckshot, in regular or low recoil 2 3/4" shells. Federal is trying to sell a #4 buck load for home defense, but as far as I can tell you'd be field testing it for them.

Alternately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievbU3xIYGQ

(Click to see an FBI agent shoot flare shells into ballistics gel)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 30, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Did someone say Dragon's Breath?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Bought a used one of those once in 30-06....goddamn was the gun fantastic. I mean just a great gun. That said I wouldn't really call it budget or in the same price point as Savage.

Well Tikka T3 CTR vs Savage 10FP probably isn't "budget", but both have low-mid $600 offerings which are plenty nice.

Of course what I really want is a custom action in some flavor of 6.5 with Schmidt & Bender glass and maybe an AICS AX stock if I can get over how much of a tacticool dildo it looks like compared to the AWs. Buuuut $7k (including a hand load setup because if you've got that and you're not...) in disposable income isn't just trying to mug me and jump in my pockets every day.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Had fun at my first pistol cal carbine match over the weekend. I think my main points that need improving are safety manipulation, visual patience on the sights, and reload technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CkkJSCZro

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Are you putting the weapon on safe before moving? Reload could def use work, did the match have rules for reloading on the move?

Anyone have tips for safety manipulation as a left handed shooter?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

There were a couple times that I spaced putting it on safe before moving, purely because the safety sits differently than it does on an AR. Need to practice that more.

Reloads with partials were allowed in that match. I'm just not used to that habit since I primarily do IDPA. It was just a one time PCC match unfortunately, not a regular thing. Can start using the K in IDPA specialty division though, so that will be fun.

Also thinking about getting a Navy lower since it looks like it has a smaller circumference grip.

Lefty, I dunno. Short of ambient safeties, I use the part of my palm by my first finger knuckle to push it on fire so that I don't have to flip my thumb over, but then I don't often shoot lefty.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

The Rat posted:

Had fun at my first pistol cal carbine match over the weekend. I think my main points that need improving are safety manipulation, visual patience on the sights, and reload technique.

Rat you have cool gats and you should give them all to me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

Rat you have cool gats and you should give them all to me.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Is this also where we can talk about general geardo stuff because oh boy do I need some recommendations.

Like a good plate carrier/belt setup, hearing protection stuff. And socks. Mostly socks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Fox River socks. Always Fox River socks. There may be better out there but I have never had socks that last so goddamn long.

Hearing protection my wife and I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's better out there but for the price they are pretty aces.

There's no loving way you'd catch me wearing a plate carrier but I'm sure someone else can help.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Someone talk me out of getting a .223 bolt action.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Never, you should especially get a CZ 527 of some kind

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

What are you looking to do with it?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Rat posted:

Cool man. I've always wanted to try out this kind of stuff but have no idea where to start. If you got tips, post em. And if anyone is familiar w comp/match shooting near lejeune (lol rip my life) let me know

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the more i look at the ruger scout the more i like it

i could see taking it to the range for fun

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
In Illinois, so target shooting, something to give to my son in a couple of years .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

ReebTop posted:

Is this also where we can talk about general geardo stuff because oh boy do I need some recommendations.

Like a good plate carrier/belt setup, hearing protection stuff. And socks. Mostly socks.

For plate carriers, I have used the Crye JPC and Paraclete SOHPC and like them both. For a war belt I am happy with the Blue Force Gear SOC-C. Will post pics and more details when I get home.