Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I love sea turtles, and I also love environmentalism, so I square that circle of "don't interact with the course of nature" and "gently caress these birds" with it counterbalancing the turtles that die because they get confused by human lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This marmot tried to get in my pack today.

This is Lake of the Clouds. Really lived up to its name today. Totally overcast, got drizzled on a few times. The final approach to this lake is one of the worst I can think of out of the glacial lakes in RMNP. Just a very steep, nasty rock/talus slope. The only ones I can think of offhand that are worse are Frigid Lake and Isolation Lake. For this one I started from the La Poudre Pass trailhead, which meant 6 miles of flat dirt road following the grand ditch, followed by 1.2 miles with 1200 feet of gain. The rock slope at the end was I dunno, 400-500 feet? I don't recommend it unless you're comfortable with rock scrambling. Not my best shots, but the clouds weren't getting any better and I wanted to get back down before the rocks got any wetter and more hazardous.

Edit: also did some minor upgrades of necessity to Waldo. Added a tiedown for the Aimpoint Micro, since the sling swivel on the left side can on rare occasions hit the quick release mount lever. Also the sling socket on the right rear of the gun, on the hinge, got busted when I fell on my pack a couple months ago. Wrecked not just the socket but also the threads. Set the rear end of the sling on the lower part of the stock, and then wrapped some 550 cord in there to keep it in place and as an emergency 550 source.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I went out to Mount Rainier a couple of times but didn't get any good shots, even during the week there was a ton of people.

This is a beach I go down to every day that's near my apartment. Can't get over the natural beauty of the PNW.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Took a trip to Hanging Lakes in Glenwood Springs (3.5 hrs west of Carson). Steep rear end hike, but worth it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh nice! What was the permit process like?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

The Rat posted:

Oh nice! What was the permit process like?

It was very backed up. We pretty much just checked the website everyday. It was full at first, but we eventually found a few slots that were open.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

My gf is interested in going there, I just haven't looked into the permit process yet. I assume the crowds were too big to pull off a Waldo shot, what were they like when you were there?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

The Rat posted:

My gf is interested in going there, I just haven't looked into the permit process yet. I assume the crowds were too big to pull off a Waldo shot, what were they like when you were there?

Not bad at all. Ran into a few groups, sporadically, on the trail. I'd say, as an estimate, maybe about 20 people total when I went. The permit is per person which helps. Highly recommend it.

I'd also check out the caves too while you're there. The bad side, however, is I don't think Glenwood Springs as a whole is doing a good job with COVID mitigation. The cave park was relatively crowded.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Brief hike around Vedauwoo. There was a point where we were coming down from the top of turtle rock and went around a dropoff area, and I looked back up and had a sort of flashback moment, because it was where the broken ankle incident happened. Thankfully no injuries occurred in this instance.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That cubic rock looks really cool

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Come to Utah

Spend all day climbing big piles of rock

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ughhhhh :flashfap: I miss Utah, hoping to go back in November as long as the plague hasn't killed everyone off and/or the government hasn't collapsed. So who knows at this rate!

Where is that? I've only explored the Utah deserts, not the mountains.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Looks like the middle (north-south) of the state.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Henry's Fork basin. First pic is looking directly at King's Peak, last pic is the King-Emmons ridge. I did almost the same hike two weekends in a row. Last week was Gunsight Peak, here I am looking at West Gunsight

And this week I was on West Gunsight, and now I'm looking back at Gunsight

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Man that's some nice mountains. Nuts how different in character they are from the ones around here.

I saw three of these guys peeping the flock. Thankfully they look to small to make off with an adult chicken. Did see one kill a bat last Friday though. Buried the bat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A hurricane got in the way, but I finally got baby sea turtle pics!

They’re so awkward on land, I love them :kimchi:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

omg :kimchi:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Hell yeah. Good luck little guys :3:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Yayyyy!:dance:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

One more:

They’re so cute, I can’t handle it :3:

Barely bigger than an oreo, and fairly awkward as they waddle their way to the water. I couldn’t get a pic of it, but those little heads poking out of the water after getting to the waves was too much :kimchi:

And then...they were gone. There’s not a lot known about their early life, but hopefully some of them grow up big and strong (and come back in ~20 years to lay their own nests).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Voting 5.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Thread lurker dropping in to say that the random hiking/beach/mountain photos are dope and to keep them coming.

I haven't got out much due to the new kid and the pandemic, but here are a couple shots from a recent Skyline Drive cycling trip. It is hot as gently caress and I drink my weight in water every time

Do gardening photos count as nature? Cause it is tomato season in VA, otherwise known as "the dogs have to go outside, guess I'm gonna have an appetizer" season

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 8, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Edit: ^^^ nice pics, post some more!

Me starting this morning's hike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkyF37c2Ic

Me after a sum total of 4600 feet of elevation gain, a peak elevation of 13200ft and a 17.5 mile round trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0DAz_30qQ

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Somehow couldn't fall asleep after that until around 4AM and my body saw fit to wake me up at 6:40AM soooo gently caress it got my images done.

The hike in question was to the Rowe glacier. There are no trails leading to it, but four potential trailheads that someone could start from, follow a trail and then split off. I started from the Stormy Peaks trailhead as shown here:

There wasn't any real technical stuff or scrambling, though the section labeled 'gently caress you shrubbery' was the steepest individual part. It was also covered in krummholz that I had to either maneuver around or Kool Aid Man through. Overall though it was still a whole lot of elevation gain, over a pretty good distance. A good portion was above treeline as well (everything above the shrubbery), so I made sure to watch the weather forecast and only do it on a day with no rain/thunderstorms. Didn't want to get zapped. This is probably the hardest single physical activity I've done yet, and also the highest in altitude I've been. Not sure if I'll ever do it again or not. I was doing ok up until Icefield pass, but ascending from there to the glacier was a real slog. Move 20-30 meters, stop and breathe until my heart stops beating out of my throat, repeat.

On the way up in the morning, Icefield pass looking east. Lakes Louise and Husted are visible. Was kind of hazy in the morning.

Almost up to the glacier, there was a flock of bighorn sheep. Was kind of surprising, first time I've seen them in the proper wild. I've seen them before, but they've always been near the road, causing traffic jams as tourists stop and take pictures.

Rowe glacier, coming down the talus slope towards it.

At shore level.

From around the center of the lake.

Another one from shore level, I like this one the best I think. The clouds started rolling in thicker and I figured it was time to roll out. Even though the forecast said no rain/thunderstorms, I didn't want to tempt fate. (It didn't rain or thunder thankfully.)

As I was coming down, the rams were more cooperative in posing for photos.

Then they decided that I had enough and they ran.

Icefield pass on the way down.

From somewhere on Sugarloaf mountain looking south at Lake Dunraven. If one were to follow that valley up you'd eventually get to Rowe glacier as well, but I think it would be tougher due to the scrambling and talus slopes involved.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Good thing you didn't take a first date up there with you

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Good thing you didn't take a first date up there with you

No he met the sheep there

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hey now I'm not Welsh :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Outer Banks just after sunrise, with rain clouds rolling in :unsmith:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Here we go again

I migrated even further along the ridge

Henry Fork Peak

Some previous trip reports had described the ridge as "fun"

Whatever floats your boat I guess

Most people were headed to King's Peak

And probably no one was on any other mountain

Strava claims this was just under 26 miles total with about 3950 feet of elevation for the day. Most people would probably do this as part of longer day hike starting from one of the nearby lakes and chain together a few mountains but doing one big hike is fun too

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Jeeeeeez that's a lot of mileage. Looks like fun though. Those mountains remind me more of the ones up in Glacier NP than the usual Rockies.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

There's a big dang fire going on up in the Poudre canyon, which is where I've been stomping around and posting pictures from these last couple months :(

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2020/08/13/forest-fire-poudre-canyon-closes-colorado-highway-14/3371627001/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Only had 1 little buddy to release tonight, all of its brothers and sisters bailed out of the nest and left him behind.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 15, 2020

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The Rat posted:

There's a big dang fire going on up in the Poudre canyon, which is where I've been stomping around and posting pictures from these last couple months :(

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2020/08/13/forest-fire-poudre-canyon-closes-colorado-highway-14/3371627001/

*starts writing in my notepad*

And when were you there last?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Only had 1 little buddy to release tonight, all of its brothers and sisters bailed out of the nest and left him behind.

Godspeed little dude :3:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

tyler posted:

*starts writing in my notepad*

And when were you there last?

Last time I was around the Chambers lake / Cameron peak area was 18 Jul when I took this one: https://i.imgur.com/wesiHMI.jpg

That area was stuffed with people, both car camping and hiking. Lots of the car campers were just pulled off the dirt road and had set up their tents right there, having fires and drinking beer and whatnot. There was even some group selling firewood right off the highway, despite the fire ban. I remember thinking as I drove by that was loving stupid.

I hope the fire doesn't spread much cause I love that area, but who the hell knows. :(

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Last time I was around the Chambers lake / Cameron peak area was 18 Jul when I took this one: https://i.imgur.com/wesiHMI.jpg

That area was stuffed with people, both car camping and hiking. Lots of the car campers were just pulled off the dirt road and had set up their tents right there, having fires and drinking beer and whatnot. There was even some group selling firewood right off the highway, despite the fire ban. I remember thinking as I drove by that was loving stupid.

I hope the fire doesn't spread much cause I love that area, but who the hell knows. :(

I love that area too and was actually just there on Wednesday. I went up on the road that goes North from Michigan Lake to the Moose Overlook/Horse Corral. There was hardly anyone in the area, mostly cows. Actually saw my first ring tailed cat in the area. My wife and I ended up leaving early because of the fires and smoke. It sucks to see it, we had even remarked on how dry the area is and with beetle kill too, it's terrible.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yesterday was really rough. Did Sprague glacier. My route started at the Fern lake trailhead, then to Spruce lake, and then up north and west through Spruce canyon to Hourglass lake, Rainbow lake and Irene lake/Sprague glacier.

Fern falls, on the way up.

Spruce lake. From here I used the field toilet and then went into Spruce canyon. That was a horrible and very time consuming experience. Due to all the deadfalls, thick vegetation, etc, I was traveling at a rate of 1km/hr through it. Had to pay attention to every step due to the amount of debris, logs, soft soil, etc. Didn't want to twist an ankle or anything.

Finally made it to Hourglass lake after some steep uphill sections.

From there it was some more uphill to Rainbow lake.

And from there up to Irene lake and Sprague glacier. To give an idea of timing and the slow rate of travel in Spruce canyon, I was boots on trail at 5:50AM, and didn't make it here until around 2:10PM.

At this point, my camelbak was almost entirely drained (used the water filter and filled it up with some delicious glacial water) and I was pretty beat. I had read about other people making a route to Sprague glacier via Sprague pass, and after the last several hours I was thinking no, I will not go to the basilica of torments again nope, not going through Spruce canyon again if I can help it. The way through Sprague pass involved skirting around the ridge line, which had several sketchy sections of angled loose dirt, with some sheer drops to the side. There was one spot in particular that was all loose dirt with no plants or rocks for footing, that was perched right over a snowfield. Big pucker factor on that one, was thinking to myself that if I slipped and it that snow, it'd just increase my momentum and rocket me down. Did slip several times, but thankfully was able to stop myself with my poles. If I hadn't known that other people had done this route, I wouldn't have attempted it.

The view from the top of Sprague pass. Not a great shot, but more of a HA I DIDN'T DIE WHILE DOING THIS kind of shot. Smoke from the Cameron peak fire is causing the distant haze.

From there I walked across the tundra to join up with the Flattop mountain trail and rode that down to Bear lake. Didn't take any pics along the way since I was trying to make it in time for the shuttle. Unfortunately the shuttles had already stopped running by the time I got there, but thankfully some generous people gave me a ride to my car.

End total about 15 miles, 4200 feet of gain. Due to how sketchy Spruce canyon and Sprague pass were, I don't think I want to do this hike again.

Also had a weird effect happen again from this hike. Even after getting home and getting to bed, body felt fully activated and would not fall asleep until like 4:30AM or so. Happened last weekend with the Rowe glacier hike, and come to think of it also happened last month after I did the Rawahs. I don't remember having this happen before. Dunno if it's all the residual "oh poo poo" endorphins bouncing around my insides or what.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

The Rat posted:

The way through Sprague pass involved skirting around the ridge line, which had several sketchy sections of angled loose dirt, with some sheer drops to the side. There was one spot in particular that was all loose dirt with no plants or rocks for footing, that was perched right over a snowfield. Big pucker factor on that one, was thinking to myself that if I slipped and it that snow, it'd just increase my momentum and rocket me down. Did slip several times, but thankfully was able to stop myself with my poles. If I hadn't known that other people had done this route, I wouldn't have attempted it.

The view from the top of Sprague pass. Not a great shot, but more of a HA I DIDN'T DIE WHILE DOING THIS kind of shot. Smoke from the Cameron peak fire is causing the distant haze.

I tend to call those experiences "pants-making GBS threads moments"

My hike on Sunday did not feature any pants making GBS threads moments since it's a fairly easy albeit long hike. Started at 3:30 am and got the sun just coming up on King's Peak

Fast forward a little bit and here I am taking a picture on top of the highest point in Utah at 13528 feet. Looking at Gilbert and Gunsight Peaks

And here I turn around to look at South King's Peak, the second highest summit in Utah at 13512 feet

And here I am on South King's Peak, looking further down the ridge at Painter Peak, the 5th highest summit in Utah at 13387 feet

And here I am on Painter Peak, looking further down the ridge at Trail Rider Peak, the 9th highest summit in Utah at 13247 feet

And here I am on Trail Rider Peak, ready as gently caress to go home since it's been 16+ miles and 5400 feet of cumulative elevation at this point. What a loving day

That low point between those two mountains means I have around 10 miles to go, felt like a death march at that point

I was alone as soon as I left King's. Very few people make the trek to South King's, and still fewer go on to the next peaks. Imagine my surprise when I signed the summit log on summitpost that someone else had done the exact same route as me the day before

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Jesus that's a brutally long hike. Are you refilling water at those lakes or are you on the ridge lines the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I brought enough with me that I never had to refill. But if I did there's some streams in the basin that have good water to grab from