Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nice and hot piss posted:

I might be quitting my job come July. I'm pondering doing the oregon portion of the PCT.

Anyone have any good stroller recommendations?

Remember to calculate your nugget burn rate and map out chicken joint locations along the trail where you can resupply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

Remember to calculate your nugget burn rate and map out chicken joint locations along the trail where you can resupply.

All joking aside I'm hoping this comes to fruition. Oregon has some amazing places to get away for a while, and the most hiking I've done has been eastern oregon. So it'll be a nice change of pace

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Rat posted:

Work called a day off today due to excess cold. So I bundled up and tried to get up to Dream lake for a nice sunrise shot.

Unfortunately, wind and snow at the lake itself was such that visibility was <200m. So I took this one as I was coming back down the trail instead.

This reminds me desperately of 49 Degrees, north of Spokane. It is a place I desperately want to get back to. Love the shot.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

All joking aside I'm hoping this comes to fruition. Oregon has some amazing places to get away for a while, and the most hiking I've done has been eastern oregon. So it'll be a nice change of pace

I spent 3 months in the Gorge scenic area hiking before starting my new job. It was definitely one of the most pleasant and beautiful stretches of daily hiking in my life.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

I might be quitting my job come July. I'm pondering doing the oregon portion of the PCT.

Anyone have any good stroller recommendations?

Remember to read the something awful classic thread by muerte, where he abandons a stroller after one day and gives up in Golden Gate Park two days later, the place he started in. He was trying to go to Florida. If you can do everything he doesn't do you'll be in good shape

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Remember to read the something awful classic thread by muerte, where he abandons a stroller after one day and gives up in Golden Gate Park two days later, the place he started in. He was trying to go to Florida. If you can do everything he doesn't do you'll be in good shape

I dunno, he seemed confident in his posts

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saturday I went up to Granite Mountain via Cool Canyon out on the western edge of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, seeing as it'll probably be my last desert hike for the season since babby is coming very soon.

I knew Santa Ana's were blowing in, but wasn't expecting 50-60mph gusts for the stretch that went ~4,500ft to the peak at 5,650ft

Overall it was a fun hike, as once you get out of the canyon there's no real trail and it's just making your way up the ridges with some scrambling along the way.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq1IF5J.mp4

This was at 4,600ft

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That looks like it was a fun time, apart from the wind. What sort of camera are you using?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Camera's on a Samsung Galaxy A51 5G

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Made another attempt for a Dream lake dawn alpenglow shot this morning. Got to the lake about 20 minutes before dawn and was very happy to find that the moon wasn't all the way down yet.

Unfortunately the snow/wind haze around the peaks kept the alpenglow from hitting full force. Was still a fun time though!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

Made another attempt for a Dream lake dawn alpenglow shot this morning. Got to the lake about 20 minutes before dawn and was very happy to find that the moon wasn't all the way down yet.

Unfortunately the snow/wind haze around the peaks kept the alpenglow from hitting full force. Was still a fun time though!

That’s beautiful

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

The Rat posted:

That looks pretty chilly, you bring any specialized gear?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

That looks pretty chilly, you bring any specialized gear?

Apart from my camera and tripod, just cold weather clothing and the usual crap in my backpack (Waldo, first aid kit, emergency beacon, clif bars, etc.)

It was pretty chilly, somewhere between 0-10 degrees. By the time I left around 7:30AM, I was shivering until I started moving again. Spent quite a bit of time proned out behind my tripod and camera and not moving a whole lot.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Anyone know anything about oboz boots? They fit me really well just curious about durability or other problems. I hate shopping for boots as I'm very picky, so I'm thinking about getting the waterproof version and the vented, non wp version

https://www.rei.com/product/857508/oboz-bridger-mid-bdry-hiking-boots-mens

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thought we’d lost this thread for a while, I just wasn’t scrolling down far enough :v:

I’m working for NPS doing shorebird monitoring, and I’ve been taking a bunch of pics through the scope.

Rufus red knots, in the morning sun/surf:

A pair of american oystercatchers, fresh off terrorizing a nearby pair that already has their nest:

The previously/mentioned terrorized pair, who finally JUST. HAD. ENOUGH. (Interlopers on the left).

A ghost crab I found walking on the beach:

And this was just perfect timing. SpaceX launched a crewed Dragon capsule to ISS the other day, and we happened to be walking to work as it flew overhead :unsmith:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Outdoors thread! I seek ye input.

As of now, this August I am planning on hiking the Oregon section of the PCT. I think it would be cool to semi-routinely post some endeavors of my 455+ mile trek across this neat-o state here in the outdoors thread, but also didn't want to just inundate said thread with a bunch of my postings.

The questions I'm proposing:

-Do you all even want to hear about such endeavors, the lead up to it, during, and my post hiking rants about how much I hate eating chili-mac 7 days in a row
-Would it be cool to post my endeavors in this thread or should I look at another forum to post my adventures? Or, if it's actually something people are wanting to see, should I just make a new thread about some idiot veteran and his girlfriend hiking?
-Which stroller would you recommend for such an endeavor?

As of now my exercising consists of utilizing a shake weight and doing 15 air squats for each 1 minute of triceps blasting shake weight endeavor. I was a cub scout which gives me high end knowledge about wilderness survival and I was a Cavalry Scout in the National Guard so my combat skills, navigation skills and h2h bear combat is equivalent to that of a delta operator.

Either way I figure it might be cool to show a bit of what I'm planning on doing; and our collective group of people have taken to the outdoors quite well. I'd love to share my experience with you all, but obviously want to see what everyone's perception is before I find myself posting whenever I can a bunch of pictures and fun/not so much fun times on this amazing adventure I want to partake in.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’d read the gently caress out of whatever you care to post about your adventures, be it in this thread, another one in GIP, or TGO. Bottom line is:

:justpost:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah post here. Not like this thread is flooded with new content. You aren’t in danger of drowning anything else out.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PookBear posted:

Anyone know anything about oboz boots? They fit me really well just curious about durability or other problems. I hate shopping for boots as I'm very picky, so I'm thinking about getting the waterproof version and the vented, non wp version

https://www.rei.com/product/857508/oboz-bridger-mid-bdry-hiking-boots-mens

I got some Oboz boots a couple years back and they're still going strong. They're probably the most comfortable / best hiking boots I've ever owned.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Alright, fair points made by all. I may just do some routine text updates as cell phone service is apparently "decent" on the PCT in oregon, but probably will make uploading difficult.

If anything, at the end I'll make a big ol' post with some cool pictures at the end about all my endeavors.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 18, 2022

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wife and I are heading out to Utah tomorrow to hit up the mighty five parks out there. I also realized this is my first real week+ vacation I’ve taken in like 6 years. Granted, I’ve done some annual trainings and TDY’s to some really cool places with the Air Guard in that time, but that doesn’t count. I’m so excited to just to get away from everything and not have cell service for a long stretch of time.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

pkells posted:

Wife and I are heading out to Utah tomorrow to hit up the mighty five parks out there. I also realized this is my first real week+ vacation I’ve taken in like 6 years.

Awesome! It's so pretty out there, enjoy!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

pkells posted:

Wife and I are heading out to Utah tomorrow to hit up the mighty five parks out there. I also realized this is my first real week+ vacation I’ve taken in like 6 years. Granted, I’ve done some annual trainings and TDY’s to some really cool places with the Air Guard in that time, but that doesn’t count. I’m so excited to just to get away from everything and not have cell service for a long stretch of time.

Pro tip: in Canyonlands, try to spend at least some time hiking in the Needles, you won't regret it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The hike itinerary is posted for the Oregon section of the PCT. 32 days, two rest days and averaging between 15-21 miles a day. Got myself a good pack, sleeping bag and between the lady and I, $850 worth of Mary Janes organic dried food.

I'm stoked beyond belief to do this trip.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That is a ton of miles to do day after day and I hope you have a blast!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
This was 24 miles with 7200 feet of climbing. Parking where I did added 7 miles one way and 3500 feet of vertical

Some people would say this was a dumb idea, trust me it was one of many

The views were good

The plants were neat

The injuries were painful but not threatening

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jelly was quite tired after 8 miles of hiking

Joy was too, but was trying real hard not to show it.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Jelly was quite tired after 8 miles of hiking

Joy was too, but was trying real hard not to show it.

Give those puppers a good pet/belly rub!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
RTX on:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We did a sea turtle hatchling release tonight, and it’s as :kimchi: as you’d expect :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
yessssss

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

We did a sea turtle hatchling release tonight, and it’s as :kimchi: as you’d expect :)

you can tell us..... did you eat one?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Well, that’s just adorable.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Hiked up Mt Peale on Sunday and did Mt Tukuhnikivatz while I was there as well.

The smoke kinda sucked

Mt Peale was the 8th and last ultra prominent peak for me to climb in Utah so that's kinda cool

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Went hiking yesterday along the blue ridge parkway. The smell of autumn up there, the waterfall’s constant white noise…it did something to my brain. Like how a sore muscle or joint feels a ton better after you stretch it out some.

(Cross post from good vibes thread)

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sent out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park a few weeks ago and went up Whale Peak from the south.

First bit of the route went by some pictographs

Looking east toward Salton Sea

Looking south to the Carrizo Badlands and Sawtooth Mountains

Route down

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good two person tent for hiking? what brands should I look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Before I became a hammock camper, I liked my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. I bought mine in 2015 and it’s my understanding that they’ve only continued to improve on the design. That said, I think most gear manufacturers measure “one person” as someone 5’ tall and 90 lbs so if you actually want a little room to stretch out you may want to get a three-person tent instead.