Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is 3-gun just an excuse to cosplay for these loving nerds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put an Elcan on it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MAD ABOUT MAH CAMELBAKS

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The lower will still flex and crack from other stresses, though. Probably at the buffer tube, grip mounts and the take down pins.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

Oh man that makes me cringe just looking at it.

I had been planning on a trip up to North Cascades and Glacier in a few weeks, but now I see that everything is on fire :catstare:

Not really sure what alternatives there are. Don't really want to go if it's as smoky as last year's Sept trip was.

Olympics? I don't think it's on fire there yet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

what if they made mp5 that took Glock mags

I don't think the Glock mag Aug ever went into production

Yeah, the company canned it before going into bankruptcy I think. I was excited enough for it that I bought three 33 rd Glock mags for it too :(

I still want a pistol carbine, but there's drawbacks to all the available ones. Keltec seems kinda primitive, hi point is single stack for some god drat reason. The Ruger PCC seems interesting, I really want a bullpup pistol carbine though.

And what's the hype behind 10 mm? It seems like it doesn't do anything 9mm, 40 s&w or 45 can't do better.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Then maybe don't buy a trap gun for 3-gun, scrub :dukedog:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The vented rib and fiber optic bead said trap gun to me, but 21" barrel length not so much. Why didn't they at least tap for ghost rings or rails then, isn't that what dudes usually run in 3-gun? :shrug:

e: looking into it a bit, apparently not. Personal preference skews toward a bead it looks like.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 23, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does that mean you have to run slugs through the sxs and the semi or pump? I'm assuming the sxs is a sawed-off to fit the pistol category here.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
sawed off coach gun, chainsaw and BFG or LMG I guess if you need something that currently exists, whatever

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EBB posted:

o/u > sxs :omarcomin:

:yeah:

Considering gambling on a turkish O/U or a semiauto like the tristars. Seems to be a lot of praise for them on the internet, "My Tristar setter's worked flawlessly for four years and I shoot every other weekend!" etc.

20 ga with around 26" barrel sounds ideal to me for grouse, skeet, duck and the occasional island deer from <25 yards, the dumb docile fucks

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WW2 Japanese-themed course where you bayonet a cabbage patch kid at the end

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I'll go with 12ga, and I've got a budget around $500. I think I'll check out some pawn shops again this week.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's some weird loophole that a shotgun can fall under. If you cut a stock and 18" barrel down as short as it can go, you've made a short barrel shotgun, which gets reclassed and is illegal without the paperwork. But if the manufacturer makes it that short without a stock, it falls into some 'firearm' gray zone that makes it legal under an "any other weapon" clause. Put a stock on it, and you're violating the law. Same deal with the "arm brace" :airquote: and he's just dickdancing around the law with the cheek weld and hip firing because that not-shotgun is totally a pistol and can't be easily shouldered, no siree.

It's a monument to the 'i'm not touching you' game between the ATF and gun makers, basically.

He runs hotter loads just to make sure it cycles since "you can't shoulder it" :airquote:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 12, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

my kinda ape posted:

IV8888 claims his 8s have no neonazi connection and as far as I know he hasn't been caught doing anything especially racist but would YOU trust a youtuber not to be racist?

Nah dude he's just a big Dale Earnhardt Jr fan is all

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's famous enough that he could rebrand to just Iraq Veteran or something else, though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

Finally used these in the woods and on the beach last weekend. Pretty awesome with boot socks, and like Professor Bling said, they're basically ruggedized Chuck Taylors.

Also still on sale!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought mine in a size 8.5, thinking about getting the WP ones at some point too. Hobbit feet supremacy :smug:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Picked up a shotgun finally. 12 ga Pardus single shot. 70 drat dollars($90 after the title transfer fee and sales tax).

Basically the same thing as those Midland backpacker shotguns, but with no choke(booo) and a 28" barrel. As long as it can kill some grouse for a couple years before falling apart, I think it was worth paying 40% below retail for it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wore my palladium boots on my hunt yesterday, total mileage around 7 miles and about 800 ft elevation gain. They weren't quite rugged enough around the toes for the nasty clear cuts I was walking through, but they held up great. I wasn't carrying a lot of weight, just my rifle and an 8 lb pack, but I have zero blisters or hot spots on my feet afterwards, zero soreness. Pretty impressed, I might order another pair if they still have them for sale in my size.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty typical width-wise I think.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mostly crossposting from the hunting thread:

My Saturday hunt looked like this at sunrise:

Then turned to soup 20 minutes later.

I couldn't see more than 50 yards clearly, so I eventually went back down the mountain to get my trail camera on the coast. Ended up blowing a grouse's head off with a .308, then got to look at what my camera caught and got fuckin' stoked.

I'm pretty sure those are three different bulls, so three shooters in that area. :woop: Hope that really big dude is still alive, but hell I'll shoot whoever shows up first.

Bonus panorama from the 20 minutes of clear sky I got at my deer spot today.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 22, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got mine ordered, thanks. Now I just need to grift the rest of an ar-15 and I'm set!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Free is free :shrug:

I ordered a bunch of little bits to go into building out my free barrel, thanks black Friday deals

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna use all aero parts to build out my garbage barrel now

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How weird do other hikers get about you carrying an AK everywhere?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

All of those diving shots are insane. I like the shark one the best. SHAAARKS.

Here's mine for today. Lake Agnes. This was not an ideal shot by any means, especially since I forgot to zoom in a little while taking the shot in order to zoom past the dust spot. Normally that's not an issue except when shooting directly into the sun, which has plenty of other reasons for not being ideal. Would you believe this is on the north end of the lake, facing south, at 1PM? It's nuts to me that the sun was so low in the sky. I didn't feel like hanging around to see if it would set behind that mountain, because it seemed to be moving more sideways than down and I was getting cold. Was trying to snap the pic while the wind was gusting and the lines of snow were blowing across the ice like a big ol' cocaine party. Gonna have to go back there later this winter, either earlier or later in the day to avoid that giant sun. Oh well, learning occurring at least.

Nice! Long exposure or are those streaks already on the ice?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wanted to go there during the eclipse, but that poo poo was probably fully booked over a year out and absolute chaos

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

would anyone be interested in a gip coordinated hike this summer?

I'm thinking hike somewhere we can drop main backs and fish/day hike

If you do pacific NW, I'd recommend Packwood lake and goat rocks wilderness. I think they restock the lake with fish every year, but it probably gets busy in the summer. I'd tag along if I could bring the baby and the wife was ok with it, but that seems like a bit much.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The tactilol thread wasn't intended for user-created content, but fair enough

:v: looks fun, I wish I had a can for 22 so I could pop squirrels and grouse while deer hunting. Hoping a threaded buckmark pops up for $200 sometime soon.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We'll see, I ran the idea of camping by her and she wouldn't wanna be more than a couple miles from a road in case the baby gets sick etc.

The cool thing about packwood is you can do a 4 mile hike in or you can scoot up to the lake on an orv along a different path, something I'd consider for supplies and stuff.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ebay's ok, Keh.com is good as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only problem with hammocks is that once you kit one out for the elements they end up weighing as much as a 2 person tent, and at that point I'd like to have dry space to change, repack and cook just outside the door.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a rifled musket, and therefore a rifle
:awesome:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should do more hikes on the peninsula. I've only done hoh rainforest and some hot springs, nothing that scenic.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A discount blemished aero handguard? I dunno, I just went with a cheapo eBay one

I also do mag changes with my right hand and can't tie my boot laces

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Get a compound bow and some judo points and feel like Hawkeyekatniss while you merc pests

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

In the past week I've uncovered two rolls of undeveloped film. I'm sure they're fine. Only...10-20 years old I guess.

I've got some holga film I still need to develop, but they're probably all underexposed anyways since I bought a dumb iso.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

photo from honeymoon in Vietnam, need to format some more to post here as they were breaking tables

Dope boots

elk scat from last year. a literal poo poo post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think we also all bought them when they went on sale last year for <$40, great boots for dry hikes.