Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
My fiancé and I hiked the Mount Mitchell Trail this past weekend, and it was an excellent view from the summit, for somewhere on the East Coast at least. The only downside was that there’s a road to the summit, so when we got to the top, it was absolutely packed with tourists. We still lucked out with the weather though, sunny skies and 60 degree temps.

It was about 3500’ elevation gain over 6 miles, but as someone who lives in the flat low country of SC, it was brutal. My last bike ride around home was 30 miles and maybe 100’ of elevation gain, most of which came from the bridge I crossed twice.

This was our first real trip away since COVID hit, and was incredibly relaxing, except for the nasty blisters I got on the descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wife and I are heading out to Utah tomorrow to hit up the mighty five parks out there. I also realized this is my first real week+ vacation I’ve taken in like 6 years. Granted, I’ve done some annual trainings and TDY’s to some really cool places with the Air Guard in that time, but that doesn’t count. I’m so excited to just to get away from everything and not have cell service for a long stretch of time.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wife and I are camping this weekend in SC, and we were on our way to a hike when we stopped at a grocery store for a few things. I noticed we were in Toccoa, GA, and that name sounded really familiar. So I googled it, and that’s where Camp Toccoa and Mt Curahee is, from Airborne lore (and Band of Brothers, which is how I know it). Turns out, the road up Mt Curahee is still open, so we decided to hike it instead.

Despite being a gravel road, it was a pretty steep climb, and my shins are gonna be smoked tomorrow. Respect to all the old dudes who were forced to run that with bellies full of spaghetti by Ross from Friends.