Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I moved to a different state but haven't gotten a new driver's license. Do I need a new license in the state I currently live in order to buy a firearm? I moved here for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I seem to recall someone in TFR owns it and liked it. I also know it's even legal in NYC.

It's still really modular apparently.

that looks beautiful in the same way a well used sawed off lever action does

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Has anyone shot a sig mcx? I love the idea of a folding stock rifle but I haven't heard anything positive about it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

sky shark posted:

Plate carriers have become popular because people have realized that rifles are much better than shotguns, which are much better than pistols. If you are carrying a rifle, you should have some spare mags, and if you are carrying spare mags, you might as well have rifle plates underneath. A plate carrier setup lets you have 120-180 rounds, a med kit / tourniquet and unlike soft armor it doesn't wrinkle or degrade if it is in your closet or trunk. For a while there were scads of SAPI / ESAPI plates available via Craigslist / eBay, and if you are frugal you can get new manufacture , quality, name brand, (not AR500 steel bullshit) LVL IV standalone plates for $200 a pair... that can handle multiple hits of 7.62x54, .30-06, and more, let alone 9mm & 5.56

Throwing on the plate carrier isn't likely to happen in a home invasion situation, but it's one of those handy things to have during civil unrest, and since we've been at war for 15 years, there's a generation of vets who have the "better to have it and not need it" mindset.

Let's not pretend that the vast majority of the civilian owners haven't bought them for anything other than "I want to pretend I'm an operator when I look in the mirror" tho. Also for some reason the cult of crossfit has decided that exercising in a plate carrier is a good thing
Holy poo poo are plates really that cheap? I don't know why but I always assumed it was like a grand for a set of plates

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

Can the bunch of you guys who own plate carriers post photos of yourselves wearing them over your blazers? preferably wearing raybans with hands in pockets if you can. thanks in advance

i rock h-gear under my blazer.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Rather than ask TFR, is there any reason E-Triggers would be illegal? I understand that under the NFA you can't have it shoot more than one bullet per trigger action but is there a rule that it has to be a mechanical linkage? Because if not i've got an extra 10-22 that I might experiment on, i've got a ton of electronic components around.

I think its illegal because it would be easy to modify it to be full auto.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

That would be a weird case because you can modify mechanical triggers too.

Yeah but that is harder to do than simply rewiring an electronic trigger to pull the trigger three times if you press button once

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder if anyone that has done mag drills like that has accidentally done that in combat. Shoot two rounds out of a full mag then immediately reload from muscle memory

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rat you should get a plate carrier made out of blue denim

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a blue denim plate carrier over flannel would be :bustem:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yo rat my dad bought the boots you suggested and loves them. Mind you the pair they replaced was some all leather lowes from when he worked for the national parks in the 70s.

Does anyone have a suggestion for suspenders and outdoors belt? I'm going day hiking/fishing want to be able to put fly fishing gear knife etc on a belt and just drop the pack.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 31, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't live in the state my drivers license is in. Can I buy a gun online and have it shipped to my home state then have my dad trasfer it to a dealer where I currently live?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Can someone do me a favor and measure the dimensions of a 30 rd stanag? Height, width, thickness, etc.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can someone measure their stanag/pmag and give me the dimensions? I'm trying to make a chest rig like this but out of acid washed denim.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

buy a surplus/after market wooden stock for it and keep the original furniture safe

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ld__M1%2bGarand

get something like this and put this machine kills fascists into the stock and keep your own furniture safe.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the name 'squats' is dumb as hell but the idea of space dwarves is fukken cool

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

snarf snarf

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

keep the bayonet on while skeet shooting and wear your dress uniform

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does it connect to that rail/raised sight thing or do you have to drill a mount

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

:stare:

I'm completely baffled by EVERY aspect of that video.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is that a RATT? Those are the loving worst tourniquets ever. So maybe they're just parodying how bad they are.

yall are legit retarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUBRDykhNM

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

tastefully arranged labia posted:

my wife is still in chicago for the foreseeable future :wink:

I'm only an hour from downtown chicago :wink:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

You don't have to rock both filters, FWIW.
yeah you take the filter off of the side you need for cheek weld.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

was the FAL ever made in a 556 variant?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

CCI Quiet-22 rounds are pretty awesome if you don't have a suppressor. My spring piston pellet gun makes more noise. The only downside is that they won't cycle most semi-auto guns.

http://cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960

how do these work?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

vent hot air right into my boi pussy

edit: I'm the jorts and lovely tattoo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840644

some nerd in TFR has a giant box of AR triggers he's loaning to goons to try out

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of the local shops had DPMS AR15s for $300 this past weekend. Got my mail after the weekend away this morning, sale ran out yesterday. There weren't many screaming deals in the flier otherwise, but I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel of AR prices.

thanks trump lol

its actually funny just how much the AR market is based on idiots that stock up as much as they can spend whenever a democrat is president. just short stock in AR manufacturers every time republican gets elected, buy stock when a democrat gets elected

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you provide examples of what you consider low/med/high grade ARs and explain the differences?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

MLOK tubes are so svelte. Like this gun here, this thing is so light and maneuverable that it blows my mind compared to a bulky quad rail.

whats on top of your acog, iron sights?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Yeah, it's a TA01NSN model, so it has rudimentary irons on top. I wouldn't pay extra for them and I've never actually tried to shoot with them, but hey a $500 ACOG is a $500 ACOG.

how does an acog stand up agaisnt a 1-4x variable scope?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

everytime someone says something like '9mm is a pussy round that won't do poo poo' i ask if they're volunteering to let me try my sig on them

Also one of the constants of humanity is that people are retarded when it comes to gun caliber debate. I remember reading about the korean war and troops complaining about the lack of STOPPING POWAHH in the m1 carbine and as it turned out they were correct: .30 carbine that misses has no stopping power

PookBear fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 1, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

am I dumb for wanting to trade a sig 226 for a 228/229 both in 9mm?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

doesn't 556 start to get weird at barrels that short

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/11/gign-adopts-cz-806-bren-2-7-62x39/

This article says GIGN is adopting the cz bren in 7.62x39 to use with silencers and subsonic ammo to defeat body armor and this makes no sense to me.

"The decision to adopt the Bren 2 was the result of a process that began in 2015 after the Paris attacks in January that year. Faced with terrorists equipped with bullet-proof vests, French gendarmerie and police intervention units found that 9 mm weapons had little efficiency in such situations and that 5.56 mm ammo lacked the necessary stopping power.

The CZ spokesperson said that the GIGN identified a need for a new weapon able to fire a heavier bullet. The 7.62 x 51 mm caliber had the suitable characteristics but the weapons for this caliber were considered too heavy and bulky for efficient close-quarter combat.

Thus, GIGN decided to evaluate assault rifles chambered in the 7.62 x 39 mm caliber instead and undertook trials throughout 2015 with a variety of weapons."

i mean a silenced CZ in 7.62 sounds dope as hell but I don't understand how that is going to help them defeat body armor

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

I'd assume they have to be using some special AP rounds, since subsonic means you can't rely on velocity to punch through.

Or their body armor threat is just soft pistol rated Kevlar.

Either way it's an odd choice.

That said I gotta stop being lazy and order some subsonic x39 for my suppressable AK to try out.

if it was softshell then I wouldn't think any AR ammo would have trouble defeating it, and if its plates they're worried about then isn't more velocity better?

I'm probably playing arm chair operator here too much but if they're worried about defeating body armor I'd think they'be be using non subsonic rounds. maybe they're straight up ninjas though i dunno

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i mean it could also be that the reporters are retarded

edit: or its intentional misdirection because they're using something different from 556/762 completely

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you hunt with silencers

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there any national standard for concealed carry permit though? Because in Georgia all I did was pay 50 bucks for a background check and get fingerprinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I've never understood the freak-out about concealed carry, except as an extension of "no one should have guns because they might get in a heated argument, flip out, and shoot someone."

The sort of people willing to go down to the courthouse, get fingerprinted by the Sheriff, pay a fee, and wait 30-60 business days before carrying a gun are not the people who, on average, you need to be worried about.

What are you talking about those are exactly the people that you need to be worried about because gun owners are retarded. There should be more to getting a concealed carry license than paying :10bux:. You should be required to know basic gun laws, shoot/don't shoot scenarios, basic gun safety, and pistol marksmanship to include drawing and firing from a holster.

I went to a gunshow once and a dude was selling a gun that happened to be loaded and someone blew their finger off. I never want to be around that many retards with guns again.