Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Been wanting to get my ccw for years now; this is the year I will actually do it. Not sure what I'll get to carry; I like my m&p but it's full size so I want to get hands on and some trigger time with the compact and the shield to see which one I like more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DoktorLoken posted:

I'd go Shield if you want it for CCW unless you're a giant. I have a 9c and I love it, but it's not really all that concealable for me.

Guess I was more worried about how it'd feel in my hands rather than how concealable; hadn't thought of that

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Rat posted:

Had fun at my first pistol cal carbine match over the weekend. I think my main points that need improving are safety manipulation, visual patience on the sights, and reload technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CkkJSCZro

Cool man. I've always wanted to try out this kind of stuff but have no idea where to start. If you got tips, post em. And if anyone is familiar w comp/match shooting near lejeune (lol rip my life) let me know

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they're Immortan Joe Biden's War Boys

:yeah:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

Just pulled the trigger (heh) and bought my first big boy rifle off gunbroker. A PTR-91 GIR.

Guess I should probably find an FFL sometime today??

Greetings fellow PTR haver. May your cheap surplus ammo be plentiful

The Rat posted:

My experience so far has been mainly IDPA and 3-gun. IDPA is just pistol and thus easier to get into from a budget perspective.

Honestly the biggest thing is to just show up with what you have. All of the matches I've been to are very friendly to new shooters. I try to invite people, but they tell me they aren't good enough yet. Which to me sounds like "well I can't go to the gym until I'm in shape." The whole point is to improve, so just show up, have fun and learn what you can from others and from honesty self reflection of your performance. The only person you should be competing against is yourself, last match.

Yea, that's the big reason I haven't tried yet. But I'm going to. I'll probably go to a couple and watch first, ask around for advice, before buying up gear and entering. Also I don't have a shotgun yet so I'll look into the pistol only stuff.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 31, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

What's a good optic for a PTR 91? I've always thought eotech stuff was cool but I looked at the prices and gently caress that.

$300 (or less preferably!) is about as high as I'd like to go unless it's absolutely worth spending more.

What are you looking for in an optic? Trying to push the range? Mid-range? Up close? I dunno because I don't have an optic for mine, but what you're looking for willc hange the advice given

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you haven't shot the rifle at yet, if you seat your cheek too far forward on the stock, the part where it curves up to the rest of the rifle will be slamming into your cheek from recoil. So that will be a consideration for mounting the scope as well. Let me know how you like it though, still in the market for a scope for mine

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Gotta get that surplus Eastern European .308

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

It's a PRT-91 GI so allegedly it can fire almost anything vaguely 308 win shaped.

I always buy whatever is cheapest off gunbot and I've never had an issue with mine. Still quite accurate as well. I'm gonna be stealing your scope soon. I'm on the prowl for decently priced green furniture but I doubt that will ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

OD green is really cheap from RobertRTG I think, not sure about tropical. The wide handguard is harder to find but Numrich arms has them in stock for $80. Brownells has them too I think.

edit: Full OD green furniture set for $13 http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-GERMAN-OD-GREEN-SURPLUS-STOCK-SET-25p2135.htm

OD green wide style handguard for $80 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/985470.htm

Also I just realized the indoor range near my house doesn't allow ammo that attracts a magnet...like the 500 rounds I just bought :negative:

Maybe I can convince them it's ok since it's not actually steel cored?

Good looking out thanks