Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Suicide Watch posted:

I've been looking at options for MA. Looks like the Mini 14 and M1A are good options, PS90, CZ805 and Tavor seem to be allowed too because of their unique operating mechanisms
Mini 14 and M1A are especially nice because there are so many pre-ban magazines available, and in the case of the Mini, there aren't date codes to distinguish pre- and post-ban ones

I had an AWB era Mini-14. Good gun, but look for ones made after the ban was lifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Reverand maynard posted:

I moved to a different state but haven't gotten a new driver's license. Do I need a new license in the state I currently live in order to buy a firearm? I moved here for school.

Yes, you need a license with the address you claim residency at to buy a firearm (at a retail establishment, so go to a gun show).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really liked the feel of steyr pistols (and the space lasers look) but they were still kinda new at the time and I bought a cheap revolver instead. Still really like them though. Maybe when you come down to $400 land.

M_Gargantua posted:

Alright, that kinda sold me. I've seen some nice match grade M1A's and the semi-auto is attractive, but if it loses practical effectiveness I'll just pursue a nice 700. Now knowing all the kind of marketing poo poo Remington probably pulls that will be fun to research.

I don't know that I'd trust remington to make anything more than an 870 shotgun and a 700 bolt action.

There are probably better options, but it's kinda hard to gently caress up making either of those guns.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 30, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus loving christ that's terrible turn around. Just give the guy another gun for fucks sake.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gargantua, I've always been partial to Savage but that's because I grew up shooting their sears rebranded shotguns and stuff.

Though they're becoming a bigger name these days, so you might look into them. Also, they're not owned by Cerberus, a huge plus. Couldn't hurt to look, at least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What do you want to do with it?

Plinking, home defense, range, hunt, etc?

A .22 rifle is always a good place to start. Cheaper ammo, not loud enough to really need hearing protection (use it though), low cost of entry, light, get a ruger 10/22 and you can do almost anything you want to it. Always in enough demand that when you get sick of it, you can sell it easily.

If you're looking at it like a hobby, you'll have a .22 eventually.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 31, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My .357 has a 4" barrel and I'm glad I went with that instead of a 6".

Used to have one of those H&R 922s and it was like looking down a dowel rod when I shot it. Something like an 8" barrel on a .22 revolver is just ridiculous.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're looking at Austrian maybe look at the steyr line. I doubt you'll find one to rent at a range though. And mags are probably expensive with a bonus side of scarce.

But pew pew space gun pew.

I carry a raging semi for the Steyr L40 and the Baby Eagle in .40 with the longer barrel. If I had no restraint, a chunk of my tax return would be going to one of those.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

e: and yeah, the judge is a turd, I don;t care for the governor either. I'm a revolver guy and I've had 2 Taurus revolvers (a 38sp and a 44) and they were both good guns with no issues in my years with them, but I'dn be remiss not to point outr that my Rossi re-manufacture of the same 38 model was miles better in terms of mechanical smoothness and accuracy and my S&W 357 is even more-so. So I was curious if they'd gotten any better with semi-autos after seeing a friends PT24 be a laughable poo poo-gun for years. It would appear they have not

The positive talk on Rossi revolvers is kind of relieving. My .357mag is a Rossi and watching the rear sight fly off at the range during my ccw class was really off-putting, but it was cheap and everything important mechanically works like a charm. And the rear sight was re-tapped for a larger screw and as much metal-metal adhesive as physically possible without being noticeable.

I wouldn't buy a Rossi again, but I'm comfortable with the one I have. Until I can dump money on that R8 someone mentioned before in another thread. But I don't have that kind of gun money laying around.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cans need stamps and SBRs need registered... for now.

Didn't the GOP want to introduce legislation to make it easier to get around that poo poo?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

yeah so what? the nfa isnt good legislation.

I'm actually rather neutral on the issue. Just remembered seeing something about gun legislation around silencers and poo poo introduced.

Silencers aren't something I'm politically excitable about. I'm pretty liberal all around, even in conservative concerns. Just be sure the person isn't going on a homicidal free for all and not already a violent offender and I could really care less. So own whatever silenced machine gun you want, it's your ammo, money, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ended up going shooting lastnight with a friend, he has a brand new Rossi R85104 and it actually shot much better than my old Rossi and my new S&W .357, way more accurate, smoother action, less recoil. I'm now seriously debating selling my SW because I can pick up the same Rossi from a local gunshop for $250 and my SW sells for around $650 around here

I have the 97104.

I like it, I really do. It shoots straight and everything works nicely. But after the rear sight ejected itself, I started reading more reviews. Warranty work is in the neighborhood of hilarious and ridiculous so I took it to the shop I bought it from and their smith took care of it for cheap.

In the end, I wanted a revolver and if you're gonna gamble on cheap or brazilian, may as well try a Rossi. Function over form. But it does look pretty decent too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 9, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And that's why I haven't gone and gotten a med card here in Colorado. California's supreme court answered that question a few months back. Only a matter of time before that question gets added to the list of poo poo to answer on a background check.

Since weed's legal here, common sense would say you can say no to using illegal narcotics if you just smoke weed. Don't go in looking all rasta or smelling like you just put the bong down and you're fine.

Or just go to a gun show.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't looked into the laws here besides cursory glances. It was the wild goddamn west in Tennessee and gun shows are pretty much the easiest way to buy a gun. Dealers are one thing, they're gonna check. But Billy Bob walking around with an armload of ARs he bought on credit and can't make the bill is not going to care in the slightest.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. I planned on looking into it more closely when I get around to making a serious decision on what to buy. That's probably not any time in the immediate future. Just the revolver and a cricket bat will suit for now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just buy the Pelican. Everyone balks at the price, but you won't find the same quality in something cheaper.

I mean, it's a gun case, not a cooler. You don't need a yeti to tote beer around all day, but beer is a significantly cheaper investment than a firearm.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would try to think of the worst case situation you could see yourself in with that case. If it doesn't involve being dropped repeatedly, run over, or just generally treated like poo poo, then you'll probably be fine with it. Pelicans are nice because they're watertight and drat near indestructible. I don't know that I've owned anything made by Plano that even remotely falls into the near indestructible class besides an ancient metal tackle box that eventually succumbed to rust.

We get Pelican poo poo at work and I know we have one long gun case laying around. We usually don't carry poo poo that large because it's ancillary to the business at best, and was probably ordered as a favor that someone never fulfilled their end on.

But the markup is kinda crazy after you see vendor prices. Still worth the money.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 15, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Warehouse monkey for a company that deals mostly with alphabet soup agencies, mil, police, but for our four legged fur monster friends. We don't generally carry things not related to dogs or their jobs, so a long gun case is really odd for our warehouse.

Closest thing to guns otherwise is a starter pistol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nevermind that Pelican case, it's actually a 5.11 case. Looks the same from ten feet down.

Which reminds me, I have a stack of their 2017 catalogs here, need to remember to put one in the bathroom.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm so glad I don't live where you are.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least I'm not the only one that's had fly-away sights syndrome.

Bonus points if yours was also a Rossi.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Weapons grade Joetanium

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll never understand why some people think they need plate carriers. Especially garbage like Voodoo Tactical.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's loving marvelous, that's what it is.

No, it's a Luger. Real question is whether or not it's stamped.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I need that hat for my next VA psychiatrist visit.

That dude's loving crazier than I am and claimed to believe in chem trails and haarp conspiracy poo poo during my second appointment. I don't remember the details of how the conversation got there, but if I had to guess, probably a matter of statistical significance compared to massive scale poo poo, and then he let the turd drop that he believes the government is altering the atmosphere on a grand scale and I honestly had a head scratch of a moment as to seek out another provider. But it's the VA so lol at that happening.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. I have one more appointment with this lunatic and I'm off to patients advocates. Probably going to need to drive to Denver to do that proper.

And this guy thinks weed muddies the water.

E: I didn't mean to derail the gun thread. That hat belongs on my head in every thread though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll take my dd214 over a discount on a handgun any day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In that case, Dr. Rossi in room .357 will see me after a cancer diagnosis.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just tell him to get an S&W R8 and get over his revolver hitch.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-mp-r8

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're already stomping the altitude of any mountain in NY just living in the Rockies, almost every mountain in the Appalachians.

I'm sure the Adirondacks are nice and the Finger Lakes and whatnot. But I'm also sure that southern Alaska is amazing too, and has lax gun laws and no lyme disease.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haha. That poo poo reminds me, we have a shelf full of dog training dvds at work that are $20-50 each and the video files themselves are 20 years old at best. Like, old ladies in 80s sweaters leading dogs through weave poles and over jumps. All that poo poo is on youtube and people (police departments too) spend good money on it. Granted, it's mostly olds that don't know what a youtube is, but goddamn are they stupid expensive for no reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving airsofters.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bob Ross or bust

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Soooo... amish mafia?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress new jersey.

I wonder what colorado has to say about the suppressed pellet rifles.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How is an AR15 "safer for the neighbors" than a shotgun full of bird shot?

Someone comes in my door, I want them picking pellets out of their asses.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm thinking in the range of #3-4 shot, not something like #7 or anything finer.

It's maybe 15 feet from where I'd grab it to the door. My apartment is small and sucks, but for relative size, I'd have thought larger steel shot would be fine at that range.

Don't have a shotgun anyhow, but I have a box of .38s for the .357, because loud. And short range.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How you haven't found an unkempt hippy chick in Colorado to bum around with you is beyond me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
One of the local shops had DPMS AR15s for $300 this past weekend. Got my mail after the weekend away this morning, sale ran out yesterday. There weren't many screaming deals in the flier otherwise, but I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel of AR prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's probably a safe assumption they ran out quickly, at least before saturday ran through. They also had M&P15-22s for $200.

The rest of their flier was mostly standard fare pistols and rifles at standard fare prices.