Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Present Day, 17:53

After hours of grueling interviews about what, exactly, happened in Summitview two weeks ago, the lights finally brighten and you can see your interviewer.



A small badge reading 'Agent Stetson' is visible on his chest, but he continues to stare at you in stony silence. He looks meaningfully at each of you in turn, then sighs. His manner softens a faction as he finally speaks, "There's a lot of pressure from the top on this one. You don't have an incident like that without people starting to ask some hard questions." He taps a large finger on the table next to a satellite photo of the ruins of Summitview's city hall. Most of the town is fine, more or less, but there's definitely a long future of construction projects ahead before the town looks like you remembered it.

He sweeps his gaze across the room, settling on Sparrow, "Here's the deal: we need you to get to the bottom of this. Lichthos. The Biker. Whatever the hell was under city hall. We've been hitting our sources hard and getting nothing. We'd bring in The League, but they are still out of communication range. If we're going to stop this, I think we need a new approach. Something... less conventional." He does something with his mouth that you assume is supposed to be a grin, but really looks a lot like his usual expression. "So I want you to do what you do best. Meddle. We can't officially sanction your activities, at least not without compromising your effectiveness, so it's for the best that you continue your activities under the guise of the Justice Friends."

Stetson begins to gather the various materials scattered around the table, then stands up, "Unless you have any questions, you are free to go."

The Fearsome Five Three: After getting caught up in the explosion and sucked into the vortex, you found yourself exiting a portal some time in the past two weeks. Where did you end up? How did the organization end up bringing you in?

The Justice Friends: Come to think of it, you were there too! That's how you got your big break and got called up to the big leagues, right? What were you all up to while The Fearsome Three were duking it out at city hall?

Everyone: You know them! Wow, some coincidence, huh? Why didn't you team up sooner? Do you think you can work together? And, uh, what are you going to do about getting to the bottom of this?

---

OOC Thread
Influence Sheet

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2017 around 04:22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

"You can count on us Officer!" I give Stetson a sharp salute. We're actually being trusted with a task by the ... I'm not actually sure if he's government, local or broader, or associated with the heroes, but... whatever, someone important! This is a step up for us, even if my two teammates voted for someone else to lead the new team. Like gigantic a-butts. Showstopper and Tundra might be cool (one literally, the other figuratively) but that doesn't stop it from hurting! See if I talk to either of them for a bit!

Lets see, what else, you wanted to know where I ended up after the Vortex spat me out... Well, I got chucked into a bit of 'Underground Summitview' where they used to do the tours, until it got too unsafe and they blocked them all up. It's like the Underground Halcyon City, where they built the city on the remains of the older city. But since Summitview is tiny and not actually a city, it's a lot smaller. And ours is because it was sinking into the ground, not because of a flood and fire. Anyway, I got dumped out into a walled up abandoned sewer-way, glowing with green moss and stuff. I wandered around a bit until I found a manhole up, but it was sealed off, so I had to bang on it for awhile until someone heard and got the Organization to come let me out. I didn't want to risk setting off an explosive bullet down there and I couldn't get enough arm room to swing my sword well enough to cut my way out.

Speaking of Underground Summitview... "I think we should check out the remnants of the Underground Summitview tour, if the City Hall had connections to some weird crypt basement thing, other old buildings we can get to down there might as well. And that's where the vortex portal thing dropped me out, so it might be connected magically as well." I directly this mostly at Sparrow, since she's the usurping new leader. As far as I'm concerned, the main reason we didn't work with these guys before is we already had a team of five. You can't go much bigger than that, if we'd had all of their old team we'd have been ten heroes, which is way too many to function in a group. Too many cooks. Sparrow is cool even if she did steal my spot, Bombshell is awesome and Manitou is... I don't know, a pumpkin somehow, but... impressive?

The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: All American Girl
Real Name: Jessica Johnson
Look:


With a red, white and blue Domino Mask and no horse.

Abilities: Bow Revolver and trick arrows bullets, Swords

Moves
Suck it, Domitian
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Won't Let You Down
When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Never give up, never surrender
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move.
Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

There when it matters
When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

Drives
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.

□ Lead the team successfully in battle
□ Kiss someone dangerous
□ Punch someone you probably shouldn't
□ Help a teammate when they most need you
□ Take down a threat all on your own
□ Outperform an adult hero
□ Pull off a ridiculous stunt
□ Save a teammate's life
□ Get drunk or high with a teammate
□ Drive a fantastical vehicle
□ Get a new costume
□ Get a new hero name
□ Earn the respect of a hero you admire
□ Make out with a teammate
□ Punch out a teammate
□ Break up with someone
□ Stop a fight with calm words
□ Tell someone your true feelings for them
□ Travel to an incredible place (or time)
□ Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”


Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation..

Stats
Freak: -1
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +1
Mundane: +2

GodFish fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2017 around 23:09

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:


"Oh! Hi Agent Stetson! And... uhm, sorry about your car." Tundra replies. "I don't have any questions no! We'll do our best to solve this for sure!

What happened to the car, one might wonder?

Well, Tundra got deposited... roughly fifthy meters in the air. Above a car. She may have not even realized she was falling and continued berating her team members about the benefits of giving dental to zombies.

She DEFINITELY fell ono Agent Stetsons car, however. And due to her immunity to mundane damage, SOMETHING had to give, and that something was his car. Which is the precise reason why a Tundra-shaped dent decorates the car roof and interior now.


quote:

Tundra, the Legacy
Legacy Name: The North-Wind Witches
Real Name: Carol Winters
Look: Woman, White, Unassuming Clothing, Magical Girl Costume

Abilities: divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Legacy Moves
Fight the good fight
When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Words of the past:
When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.


Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Holly Winters is still active and prominent in the city.


That's my mom! She's the best! She's been fighting the good fight for a good 60 years now.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that, didn't I? Becoming a magical girl slows down aging. A lot. So Mom? Got a lot of practice. She's one of the most renown heroes in the city!

... I wanna be just like her!

Unfortunately, for now, she's keeping me here in Summitview, "for my own safety". Just means I got to prove how much I've trained, right?

Sandra Winters is the next possible member of your legacy.


My little sis. She's... well, uh... a little bit more competent at most matters than I am. But I got the spirit! Totally! But anyway, she's too young to become a magical girl like me yet, so HAH.


Annalena Winters is retired and quite judgmental.


She's my grandma. And like, reaaaaallly old. Like, 150 years old. No, I'm serious. She's been on the job for that long, and, uh... It kinda shows...

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of her. She's always so critical of me and mom! I mean, I'm sure she means well, but still...


The Darkfire Witch is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced... and is still at large.


Remember when I told you about the Darkfire Witches? Yeah, grandma apparently missed one of them. Or the familiar. Like, these dark witches are seriously evil. And always up to no good!

So recently, this one surfaced. Neither Mom or Grandma know much about this one, but she's really powerful! Scary powerful. And she's apparently hiding out in Halcyon City! Eeep.



Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:

- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.


Labels
Freak +0
Danger -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up and any other label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a Condition and give them Influence over you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 11, 2017 around 22:15

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Well this was quite a fine mess to get yourself into.

And here was Makkitotosimew Walker, the Manitou, sat away the interview table, huddled in the corner in the shadows. It wasn't that she was trying to be dark and broody or anything, it was mostly that she got nervy in enclosed spaces these days and was gripping onto the office plant for dear life. It was the closest thing to soil she could get in this solid concrete building.

And what had happened? Well, ever since the assistance Showstopper had given her to track down what was going on with Cheiron's shady business in Summitville, she had been going through the papers in her free time, and a few things came up on close examination. So she had gone to the town hall herself in order to try and find a few answers of her own. It was supposed to just be a quiet thing that she wasn't going to involve any of her other teammates in on this, even if it just turned out to be a dead end lead she wanted to see for herself. What happened instead was, absolute bloody chaos. Suffice to say she didn't quite get what she came for after that and was quite lucky to get out with all her bits attached, what happened that day was quickly the second most eventful - actually no maybe more like the third or forth most eventful - thing to happen in her life so far, that was the first unexpected thing.

The second one was that right after that whole mess happened, the organization came to her, like directly to her. She knew the woods in this area like the back of her bark, all the places to hide, all the secluded spots. And they didn't look everywhere for her, they looked in the one place that she was, and then hit her with magic doodads before she could flee and carted her off to a dark room to talk to government men whilst she was just a pumpkin in a plant-pot. It really ruins the mystique of being an urban legend when you get so easily subdued like that.

She would have started throwing down the moment she grew her body back were it not for the fact she also found Bombshell and Tundra were brought in too. That made matters slightly more tolerable then they otherwise might have been, if they had come in and they had come in willingly then Makki supposed that she would stay put for the moment and see where it led. And it seemed to lead in the finish to the formation of an all new superhero team.

Whoda thunk it?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2017 around 22:46

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

When the lights come up, I'm glad that we're done. Not just because this has been hella boring. I mean, I've been rocking back in forth in the chair for the entire debrief, and if I had to sit here another moment, I might have screamed! But, on top of that, I sort of ended up in a bank vault a few blocks over, and I didn't want to have to explain that the "bank robber" the town's been looking for was me.

Don't give me that look! I didn't touch a thing!

I just, uh, kinda had to fry the bank's security system for a few hours so I could get out without being seen.

Stupid portals.

Once he's gone, I grin at the others and say, "Finally. Thought he'd never leave!" I settle my chair down and add, "Gotta say, it's kinda weird to have an ...sort of official sanction to go stir up some trouble. Can't say I'm going to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, though."

I nod when All American mentions the Underground tour, saying to the team, "That's a good lead. We also might think about figuring out how Lichtos knew about all the mystic nonsense down there. Someone had to point him on the right track, since... ah... he didn't exactly strike me as a guy who was all there, you know?"

While I'm waiting, I give a sidelong look at All American Girl. She's been ignoring me for a bit, and yeah, I feel sort of lovely about backing someone else for team lead. But come on, Sparrow's got a pedigree when it comes to superheroing! I mean, Mockingbird is awesome! And from the brief time I've hung with Sparrow, she's actually been pretty cool to me, unlike someone else I could name who's got a lecture for every little thing!

And, yeah, I did some stuff with all of them before when we were solo acts, but we never teamed up afterwards because 10 heroes is overkill for almost anything out in the sticks.

I'm just glad we're not getting paired up with some randos.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

My favorite part of being a hero is the constant loving interviews and interrogations. I mean, why be out helping people or fighting bad guys when we could play Twenty Questions every other day with some different old person telling us a bunch of bullshit and asking us to blather on instead. It's bullshit. I mean, I answered my bits because I want to get this over with, but that's for everyone's safety at this point. My eyes are glowing pink - I have energy to work off, and I am annoyed. Pissed, even. Can't help it, I'm a freak, and with great power comes occasional manic rage if managed poorly.

Yeah, while the Fearsome Three - sooo want to make fun of that name - were fighting that Lichtos or whoever, I was dealing with that loving Dark Biker or whatever her name is. Smacked her around a lot, scared the hell out of her, accidentally smashed up a bank with some people in it when she took cover in there. No one got hurt, 'cuz I held the drat thing up, but the stupid Biker (runner at that point) got away while everyone evacuated. Was a good workout all things considered, and no one got hurt - probably not her included, that weird energy she was using reminds me of mine kinda so I'm not underestimating her - so it wasn't like that sucked too bad.

Randomly falling through a portal and emerging a few days later did though. Wanna know what happened? I got shunted through time or some stupid bullshit, but my Red Reactor built up at the regular rate. Meaning, I was ridiculously overcharged when I got dumped into the harbor. Hooray for that by the way, it's probably the only reason I didn't kill people when I, you know, exploded. It's what I always do when I can't burn off excess energy. Not like it hurt me of course, but it registered as a seismic event and I may have accidentally caused an ecological shift in Halcyon Harbor. Sorry about that Makki, know you're linked to nature (but I'm too scared to talk to you because I'm awful)... though at least Sparrow wasn't around to tell me how bad I am and how she and her mommy would have done things. The organization recorded the seismic event I caused and picked me up right after, I was hardly even back to shore. Woulda punched a few just for good measure, but I sorta wanted to change clothes and shower since I was soaked with loving nasty harbor water.

Having tapped my foot impatiently enough during our debrief often enough to have cracked the tile under my foot (and indented the floor) without noticing, I don't say anything while Lemmy Von Cowboy leaves the room. All American Girl does because she's quite sweet, and apparently Tundra fell on his car so that's hilarious, but yeah I'm not giving this guy the time of day, I don't owe him anything. Finally uncrossing my arms as the door closes behind him, I listen in as everyone discusses where they want to go and what we should look into. Personally I want to investigate the Biker... but gently caress it, I'll just vote for whatever All American Girl wants and be done with things.

"Just tell me who needs taken down or what you need reduced to rubble, that's basically all I do. I'm fine with whatever, but that Underground Summitview tour thing sounds like we should do that. Yeah." I'm doing my best to sound casual and not annoyed - I'm pretty tightly wound right now. The second we're done here I'm going to go straight back the base's training room to work all this off. "That gets MY vote." We're definitely voting on poo poo as often as possible since Sparrow is team captain and just... don't remind me of that.

I briefly glance at All American Girl and smile slightly, though given how pissed I look and that my eyes are literally glowing with mutated pink-rage or loving who even knows, yeah the impact may not be what I was going for. Maybe she likes that I'm kinda hot, when you get past the whole 'me being a dangerous experiment' or whatever?

Rauri fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2017 around 09:12

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Uh, yes! W-we'll, uh, w-won't let you d-d-down, Agent Starsu- STENSON!" I stutter out. I might have only been half-listening to the briefing, which was very uncharacteristic of me. Normally, I would hang on to every word, and take detailed notes, and try to come up with plan in advance, but I'm a little... pre-occupied, right now. I still can't believe they actually voted me as team leader, and aside from Bombshell (Why does she have to keep giving me that look?), the vote was unanimous. They're all looking at me to lead them, and I don't even know how. What do I do? Mother never taught me how to lead a team before. Agh, why couldn't they have made All-American Girl the leader instead? She is much more suited for the role than I!

...Deep breaths. I need to take a deep breath. Calm down. I can do this, somehow. I need to remember there are more important things to worry about, like the Dark Rider. I couldn't take my mind of that whole encounter with them, it felt so... off. What were they trying to accomplish? It couldn't have been a simple rampage. What was with the fog they created? Who are they? There were so many questions left unanswered, so I decided to do a little digging. I combed through my mother's old files to see if a situation like this has ever happened before, and much to my surprise, it has. One of her files talks about a masked villain, who had powers similar to what we encountered, and whoever they are, they had ties to the mob organization she took down.

The one we recently met, they can't be the same person, can they? If they are, why pop up now? Does it have something to do with the Lichthos? I guess that's why we're here, so we can figure this whole mystery out.

"O-oh!" I was popped out of my thoughts when All American Girl starts speaking, "T-that's a good idea, yes. W-w-we should... we should," I clear my throat, "We should follow whatever leads we have. Something big is going down, and it's our job to find out what, and stop it before it becomes a problem for the city." I rest a hand on the hilt of my sword, and look at the rest of my team. They're all depending on me now (except for Bombshell), and I know I can't let them down. I force a smile, and say, "...No matter what happens, I know we can do this. Together, we will overcome whatever hardships that is in our way! We," I drew my sword out my sheath, and pointed it ever so dramatically at the sky, "Are the Justice Friends! Our hearts are united under one cause; justice! No evil shall escape from our sight! We are... we are..." I look around at all the blank stares everybody is giving me, and feel my face go red with embarrassment. I slowly sheath back my sword, and after a moment of awkward silence, I finally say, "...Yea, uh, we... should probably be heading off now."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

I lean in towards Sparrow to whisper, "It's SteTson, like the hat." But its already too late. Oh well... It might be a little unfair of me to already be regretting my choice of voting for her, but... she isn't exactly inspiring confidence so far. On the other hand, she's just being kind of embarrassing, not like Bombshell who is, I'll admit, kind of freaking me out right now with that glowy eye angry-smile thing, even if she is super awesome to watch. "The entrance they pulled me out of was at the corner of 4th and Broadway, but there might be a place closer to City Hall?" Actually, thinking of the tour and Bombshell... I better say something. As we head off to wherever Sparrow decides to lead, I fall back to get a little closer to her so can whisper to her as well. "You're super-strong, right? Along with being able to blow up? Cause... I don't think the place is very sturdy, so doing any explosions might not be a good idea? ...Sorry." I make an extremely nervous awkward face, really hoping she's not going to take this the wrong way.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

...Yikes, I might actually owe All American an apology. Sparrow might not be cut out for this after all!

Ah, well. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And it looks like most people want to go to the underground tour instead of pounding some pavement. Fine with me, I guess. It was just an idea.

Anyway, Bombshell is looking a little... glowly right now, so maybe we should just decide on something so we can get out of here.

I start rocking my chair again and say, "Well, sounds like we're starting with the tour. I think we all need a break after that, and I don't know about you all, but getting interrogated by the police always make me hungry. So, I vote we grab some food before we go play tourist." Looking over to Bombshell, I add, "We could all grab something to go, if you want."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Based on that first performance, I think we could probably replace Sparrow with a sword taped to an inspirational quote-a-day calendar and not miss out on anything. Seriously? Other people voted for her?

I'd have more scathing thoughts about Sparrow's miserable leadership (maybe I should offer to give her lessons, and just hand her a note that says 'resign' if she takes me up on them), but All American Girl leans in to whisper to me, and all of a sudden I am all ears, trying to smile just a smidge in a vain effort to look better. Not that I needed to bother... she just wants to remind me how dangerous I am, and my smile slowly vanishes. I mean, she's new, so I'm going to totally do my best to overlook this because she's cute and apologized too, but like... does she think I need people reminding me of what I can do when I'm not being careful?

"Yup, I'm pretty strong. Got it," I report back after a sigh, and it's not like she doesn't have a point. If we're all in some enclosed place, people like her and Sparrow and... drat our team has a lot of not-tough people on it now that I think about it - are very squishable, so that'd be a big problem if I started throwing wild punches or blasts and brought the place down around us.

Showstopper's talking about food, and letting me know we can grab it to go, so it looks like half the room's decided to play 'Remind Holly she's loving unstable', cept they'd call me Bombshell probably. Just great. gently caress it, I nod my head yes and lay my head back on the top of the seat, looking up towards the ceiling and shutting my eyes. "I just need to exercise later today, burn off some of this energy. Food sounds good though, I'm voting for," poo poo I should have waited for Sparrow to speak up, then voted against wherever she picked, "hamburgers and fries, past that I don't care."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Present Day, 17:55

Agent Stetson tips his hat as he leaves and you all file out. You're in a fairly non-descript building downtown, so it shouldn't take too long to get back to where you're bunking down. The evening breeze is a welcome change from the slightly stifled air of the interrogation room. There's even a few restaurants lining the streets around you!

A few hours later...

Man, you're feeling so much better! Food, rest, and a chance to stretch your muscles made a welcome change from the marathon interview. Still, though, it sounds like the Underground Summitview tour is going to be your best bet on figuring out what's actually going on. And that is why you're standing at the entrance! Just as the sun's gone down!



...Man, this place is looking pretty creepy.

Everyone: You remember a spooky story about this place, right? Tell me about it! And what did you do during the downtime to unwind a bit?

All-American Girl: This is your plan, right? That basically means you're the leader! How should the team investigate? Split up, maybe? If you did, who would you want to be paired with?

Tundra: You got a message from your Grandma a few minutes ago! What surprisingly pertinent advice did she give you? Picking up anything odd about the Underground? Anything magical?

Manitou: Man, it's just been one enclosed space after another! At least there's a bit more dirt in this one. There's some weird glowing moss around. Any insight into that?

Showstopper: Talk about divided loyalties! How are you going to make it up to All-American Girl? Any cool new gadgets that you think are going to help with the investigation?

Bombshell: Whew. You finally got a chance to work out some of that energy. Now that you're feeling a little more collected, what do you think of the new additions? Who are you most worried about, even if you'd never admit it?

Sparrow: Okay, sure, you probably could have made a better first-leader-impression on your new teammates. Still, it's not a big deal. Right? Well, in any case, you're the leader. What's the plan with the investigation and why is it absolutely the worst idea to split up?

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2017 around 16:16

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

I challenged Bombshell to a burger eating contest!

...I lost.

I was trying to cheer her up because I don't think she took my warning very well, but... she seemed kind of pleased to win at first, and then just seemed even more down. I don't get it, I thought winning was supposed to cheer people up. But obviously, I've been doing a bad job of trying to not be a downer around her, so I kind of, let her do her own thing instead of continuing to tag along with her bringing the mood down until we all headed to the tunnels. And here we are - Underground Summitview. I'm glad we're following my plan, there's a lot of ground to cover and it's not all one path, so we're going to have to split up. "Okay, we should probably split into teams of two so we can do this faster. Tundra and Showstopper, Bombshell and Sparrow, me and Manitou maybe?" Sparrow can probably cheer Bombshell up better than I can, they've known each other longer, and that keeps me away from Tundra and Showstopper, good team splitting All American Girl!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

'Grandma just sent me a message! And it wasn't yelling at me for no reason this time! Hooray!' Tundra thought to herself as she read a message on her phone.

She told me Tundra she sensed up some sort of magical reading below the city, and well, it turned out to be right! There IS magic in the air! Quite a lot, actually. Seems like some sort of magical thingie got activated.

"No need to split up! My magical senses are showing me exactly what we're looking for! Follow me!" Tundra proudly exclaims, walking forward to a crossing in the tunnels. Suddenly, she stops, looking at each direction in a rather confused manner.

"... huh? The thing can't be in every direction. That's just silly." she mumbles to herself loudly enough for others to hear, before continuing to walk straight forward, because that's what you do to get ahead in life! ... right?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2017 around 16:01

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

After grabbing a single burger, since I'm not about to even humor All American's eating contest idea, I spend most of lunch doing my own thing. I guess I do have to give All American credit for sticking with her gimmick. What's more American than an eating contest?

Anyway, "My own thing" mostly consisted of working on some lyrics for a new song. Normally, I'd run them by All American, but... well... she's still steamed over the earlier vote. And I don't really know how useful the others would be on this, so I just stick to my booth and spread out my papers over the table.

------------------------------------------------

Anyway, when she tries to split us off from her for the investigation, I just shrug and say, "Whatever works for me." If she's gonna be petty about it now, I'm not going to fight it. I do feel sorta bad about jumping ship on her, but I'm willing to give Sparrow a shot before I change my vote again. But, I'll make something nice for All American in the mean time. Show her no hard feelings (and also keep her from having a reason to get on my case anymore than she already does.) I'm thinking... a new kind of trick bullet or something. She loves that kind of poo poo.

When Tundra speaks to her confusion, I say, "Oh, I've got an idea there." I grin as I heft off my backpack and start digging through it. I present a rough, TV remote looking device with a flourish, saying, "I may not know a lot about magic, but that Lichthos guy was radiating some kind of energy. I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how to track it, and I think I'm on the right track. With a little luck, we'll have a nice clean trail to follow." I start tuning it, keeping a close eye on the scope at the top. Don't want a fuse to blow while it's in my hand or anything.

<Capfalcon_work> Unleash gadget powers
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 8+1 = 9

Unstable or temporary use of a tracer to find

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Underground Tour

When All American Girl challenged me to a burger eating contest, I was actually just so happy that she was actually still cheerfully talking to me that I agreed to it... and won. Which like, hooray, I won a meaningless contest and also ate slightly too much, and like five minutes later I realized it made me look like a pig in front of everyone else. Today's going just great. Whatever, after some food and some exercise, I'm feeling better - I'm not at risk of being overcharged or anything, and with that food in me I don't have to worry about feeling drained. If, for whatever reason, this fact-finding expedition turns into a fight, I'll be ready to go. It feels good traveling with a full team again, even if one of them thinks I'm an incompetent weapon and the rest probably just think the second part.

As we all clamber into the Underground Summitview Tour main chamber, I'm further disheartened when All American Girl pairs me up with Sparrow of all people. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she's being a friend to Makki, it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect her to do... but I'm with SPARROW. Bet she tells me how I walk too loudly or some poo poo, or tells me that I've hurt her somehow. For what it's worth, at least she's not Tundra... that girl is in her own world at all times, and it seems to me that it only sorta overlaps with this one every now and again. She's bizarre.

Luckily no one's gone anywhere yet, so I'm going to stick around with the group and not just Dear Leader for as long as possible. Showstopper's playing with some gizmo, Tundra's figuring out her left from her right, and I'm ninety percent sure I'm going to end up causing some property damaging - just calling it now. Adjusting my hair and staring down one of the tunnels with my normal, non-glowing blue eyes, I smirk. "Whether we split up or go as a group, I'm going to be in front. I'm pretty drat invulnerable, and if there IS something down here and it gets the drop on us, best that I take the hit." Who knows, maybe that thing Showstopper's playing with will actually work?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

quote:

<Tricky> Capfalcon_work: It's showing three different readings in the underground. You're /pretty/ sure that one of them is real and that you know which one it is.

I grin as I get some hits. ...Wait, some hits? I start fiddling with the knobs, muttering, "Stupid magic bullshit..." After trying a bit to tune out the noise, I decide it's no use. Still, one of them looks a lot stronger than the others.

Nothing to do but just tell them what's up. I say, "Got a signal down this tunnel. It's pretty strong, so it's what we're looking for. ...Probably. There's some noise that could be other readings that way and that way." I point down the other two tunnels to illustrate what I'm talking about. I look to Sparrow, adding, "So, we splitting up or just going down this tunnel?"

See, I can be a team player.

"Either way, I'm going down this tunnel," I say, pointing down the one with the strongest signal.

Well, mostly a team player.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Makki really doesn't do enclosed spaces, not least because she's easily the tallest member of the group and thus was having to stoop to not hit her head on the ceiling, but because whilst the synthetic confines of the office made her uncomfortable, the earthy confines if this place made her feel like she was in a crypt. An ancient crypt at that.

Even the greenery in this place didn't make her feel any more at home she one of several species of local plants and animals that could give off their own luminescence, but not a single one of them was a moss. She delicately plucked a clump of moss off of the wall and rolled it between her fingers, examining it critically, it didn't lose it's lustery glow. She then took a tiny piece and put it into her maw, chewing thoughtfully.

"Magical" she said plainly, giving a few more experimental chews. "Feels old, but also feels recent, not a local species in any sense of the word. Doesn't feel like the biker though." In one moment she spat the now chewed but no longer glowing moss into her hand and stuck it back on the wall. And watched it slowly regain it's glow as it sunk back into the wall.

"Hmm." Without much hesitation, she stuck a finger into the wall and felt deep into the earth.

<TheNabphone> Manitou is gonna do the freaky plant thing. +1 Freak
<TheNabphone> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> TheNabphone, 10+1 = 11
<TheNabphone> Neat

For clarification Manitou is unleashing her powers to extend her senses through the underground via plant sense.


As she reached out through the Moss and further into underground on a trial of damp vegetation she tried to get a feel for the underground to fix in her mind. And find the possible source of this mystery.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2017 around 08:46

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

I didn't go with the others for burgers. Not because I don't enjoy burgers, or their company, but mostly because I needed some time alone to think. I spent most of my time sitting on the tallest I could find rooftop, thinking.

A leader is supposed to inspire confidence, but I think I might have done the opposite of that. Agh! What is wrong with me!? Why is this making me so nervous!? What happened to the Sparrow who took down all those bank robbers, by herself!? What happened to the Sparrow who bravely challenged the fearsome Scythana to a duel, and barely won!?

..That Sparrow didn't have to deal with the pressure of leading a team. She didn't have to be responsible for four other people. What if... my orders gets them hurt? What if... all I do is make things worse? What if... what if I can't do it? What if I just can't be a leader? Maybe I should just... resign from the role, and pass it on to someone actually worthy, like All-American Girl. Heck, I bet even Bombshell can do a better job leading than I can. Yes, I'll just... resign as leader. When we meet up, I'll tell them of my decision, apologize, and...

...Agh, what am I even saying!? I can't just... give up, that's not like me! I should at least try... shouldn't I? I should try my best, and learn from any mistakes I might make. Giving up now, after they've all decided to put their faith in me, would be selfish. What would it say about me, as a hero, and as a person, if I gave up without even trying? I can't let them down, not after they've decided to put their faith in me as leader. All I can do now... is try, and hope for the best.

...No matter how scared I am, right now...

------

My nerves are a lot calmer when I meet up with rest at the Underground Summitview tour. I might still be a little nervous, but at least I don't feel like I'm about to fall apart this time. I take the time to carefully listen to the rest of the team, hearing what they have to say first, before I speak.

"I think," I say, to Showstopper, "It would be better if we all stick together. Splitting up is too risky," and putting me together with Bombshell is nothing but a recipe for disaster, "We don't know what we'll find down in these tunnels, but I'm guessing it won't be good. If we stay together, we'll be more than able to handle whatever trouble we might run into." I turn to Showstopper, "You have the tracker, so we'll go to where you point us to."

"If there's no objections to grouping up, I suggest we prepare ourselves to head down the tunnel Showstopper's pointing to."

Okay, phew, that wasn't so hard! My knees aren't shaking, and I'm not stuttering anymore! I just need to keep this up for however long this mission is going to take. No pressure!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2017 around 18:48

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Well, that was a surprisingly good plan. Maybe Sparrow just needed a little to get her head in the game, because she seems to be on the ball now.

Still, I'm gonna keep an eye on her. But, for now, I just say, "Sounds like a plan," before I turn and start walking down the tunnel, with the understanding that everyone is going to follow me.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Mini-Manitou Prompt

As Manitou's senses spread through the network of glowing moss, she immediately notices that the source seems to be deep below the group. The moss seems to grow thicker the deeper she goes — and the closer to the source. The figurative underground of the Underground Tour. She also notices some brief flickers that make it seem like something's moving around in the tunnels, but the information she gets from the moss isn't exactly the most detailed sensory experience.

If Manitou and Showstopper compare their findings, they'll note that one of Showstopper's weaker readings seems to align with Manitou's impression of where the source is. The depth must have served to mask the signal. The flickering movement that Manitou noticed? That'd be the stronger reading.

I'm feeling like crap still, so feel free to either figure out the AAG/Sparrow leadership crisis or group up however you like. Real prompts probably tomorrow?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Manitou stares off quietly into space as she does her best to fix the image of the underground into her mind. The underground was a lot bigger then she originally expected it to be, what things she could sense from the moss was fairly limited, moss not being well known for it's sensory apparatus but what she had felt as if it was physical force was depth and empty time, of rooms long since unoccupied and spaces long since reclaimed by the undergrowth beneath this cold earth. It felt peacefully, undisturbed, quiet, she would have possibly come back here on her own later if she wanted to be alone.

But the presence... Makki was not easily scared nowadays - mostly because she was the one doing the scaring - but something about that presence was making her nervous. In the blind-sight of the moss she only felt it's very brief passage but it was enough to know that she didn't have any desire to meet it face to face. Nothing good would come of such a meeting down here, in the dark.

Without thinking much about it, she reached out a large viney hand, and lightly grasped Showstopper by his shoulders.

"Not that way. We do not want to go that way. We really do not want to go that way." She said plainly, as she gently pulled him back and turned him towards another doorway that from her rough estimates would lead them down towards the source. "We want to go this way instead. It leads to what we want. I think."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2017 around 22:04

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Thrilling Underground Expedition, Logistics Check!

Uh-oh. It's sounding like you've got some differing opinions on what to do! Manitou wants to proceed deeper underground, Showstopper seems dead-set on the tunnel ahead, and who's actually in charge of this outfit, anyways? The sound of scuffling feet fills the hallway as you sort yourselves out into whichever formation you want to go with. Are you splitting up? Sticking together?

Please indicate which way your character is proceeding! Are you going to check on Showstopper's reading down the main tunnel or are you going to investigate the depths in search of what Manitou claims is the source of all this?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Hey, leggo!" I blurt out in surprise.

After talking a bit more, I frown and say, "I dunno. My signal's strongest over here. Anyway, if you're sure whatever I'm tracking is moving, then that's probably someone we can question. So, all the more reason we should go my original way."

I glance over at Sparrow, waiting for her to weigh in.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Sparrow seems to be doing a little better... Still not particularly sure it was a good idea to vote for her, but, at least she isn't falling apart anymore. I give her a slightly encouraging smile, then get distracted by Showstopper and Manitou's disagreement. Glancing between the two of them, I'm a little more inclined to trust Showstopper, but still not in the mood to do so. Still, if Showstopper has found someone moving, and Manitou thinks she found the source of this... the obvious solution is to check them both out! "Well, let's check them both out then. Manitou, me and," Sparrow or Bombshell... I should give Bombshell a chance to get away from me since I keep making her sad, but if I go in the group without Sparrow, I'll be the leader, "Bombshell, can go check out her thing, and you three can look into whatever Showstopper found." I give the group another smile, and start to head in the direction Manitou was going.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Ok, seriously? We're going to be this petty? Fine. I can do petty.

I tap my finger on my chin as if thinking about it, then shake my head, saying, "Nah, if we're splitting up, why don't we do Sparrow, Bombshell, and myself, with you, Tundra and Manitou as secondary lead. After all, since you'd be following Manitou's senses, it just makes sense that they'd lead right?"

<Capfalcon> provoke All American
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 8+2 = 10

Give a team if you agree, or take a condition if you don't.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Underground Tour

This is dumb and pointless. I've got no problem with Showstopper really, but he's sabotaging what sounded to me like a perfectly good plan - me with Makki and All American Girl, and then Team Stuck With Sparrow - and therefore I'm stepping in. Finally moving from my perch, I give the team a semi-sarcastic wave over my shoulder as I follow after All American Girl towards the direction Makki indicated.

"I trust Manitou. I'm heading this way. We should just head out in the groups we're in, I'm sure Sparrow will keep you all safe without me there." Sounds like we're tackling the actual threat, so they'll be fine confronting whatever B-Grade Baddie is on their end of things. "We'll head back to here once we've taken care of our end." I say all this casual as can be, but there's a subtle menace - that is, can any of these people actually stop me from just doing what I want to? I'm teaming up with All American Girl and NOT Sparrow, END OF STORY.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

Some friend you are Showstopper! "Obviously Manitou will be leading the way, since she's the one who knows where we're going, but I'm not sure if you should be trying to assign group leaders, since Sparrow is the one in charge." I give my head a small shake, tossing my hair back, and then smile at Bombshell as she heads over to join the two of us. "Anyway, since we're dealing with magical stuff, we need Tundra and Manitou on separate teams, since they're our best bets at understanding it."

Taking Angry

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

And now Manitou shuffled awkwardly on rooted feet as she watched the pair go back and forth over the issue.

"Please stop fighting I merely..."

She shook her head for a moment to herself back into character. It wouldn't do to show vulnerability at this time. "No, no splitting up. I would strongly advise we avoid the presence, and go to the source. This is not something we should be actively seeking the attention of I would reckon."

"I'm not going to force you but the deep darkness is not a place you should be wandering around lost in."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"I think we should-" annnnd AAG pipes in with her plan before I could say anything. "That's a decent plan, but-" annnd I'm interrupted again, this time by Showstopper. "Guys, can we seriously just-" annnnd now Bombshell cuts in (Not like I expected her to ever listen to me. What does she have against me?). "Guys, seriously, just listen-" annnnd I'm cut off by AAG. Again.

"Can you all PLEASE CALM DOWN for a second!?" I yell at from the top of my lungs, as my words echo throughout the tunnel. I might be a little frustrated right now.

"Manitou is right. We can't split up. We all need to stick together, as a team. If we split our strength, we'll be giving our enemies the advantage." I turn to Showstopper, "I don't doubt the effectiveness of your tracker, but Manitou and Tundra is more connected to magic than any of us are, so I believe she would have a better sense of where the source is. We'll follow her lead, for now, and see where it takes us."

I turn to AAG, and say, "...AAG, can I please talk to you for a second?" I pull her aside, from the rest of the group. Once we're away from the team, I say, "Listen, I-" I pause, thinking of how to phrase my next few words, "I know you're not happy having your leadership role taken away from you, and I understand that, but we-" I take a deep breath, "We... we can't let this get in the way of our mission. We need to work together, as a team. Whatever issues we might have can wait until after we're done."

I take another deep breath, and say , "...I'm sorry if that came off a little harsh, but I... I actually don't want there to be any trouble between us. I actually- well, I actually, uh," Huh, why am I getting so nervous all of a sudden, "I... actually really like you, Jessica."

...Wait.

What did I just say?

"I MEAN as a friend, and valued comrade, of course! Yes! What else could I mean!? Hahaha! It's not like I meant anything MORE with that comment! Hahahahahahaha!" Oh god oh god oh god I need to find a way to make this less awkward, "Anyways! Mission! Plan! Team! we should! Go! Now! Hahahahahahahhahahaha!" I quickly turn away from AAG, and walk away as fast as I can. I'm pretty sure my entire face is red as a paste now.

quote:

10:28 AM <HugzillaPhone> Sparrow comforting AAG! (+1 from influence)
10:29 AM <Krysmbot> HugzillaPhone, 4+1 = 5

~welp~

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Uhm... you guys seem to be pretty busy discussing so I didn't want to interrupt, but... why do we need to split up if we got multiple people that know where we need to go?" Tundra voices. "That just sounds silly to me. Let's just follow Manitou!"

Followig Manitou.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Well, it's a bit rough that Bombshell decides to go on the other team because she trusts Mantiou more, but I got All American rilled up after she continued to be an rear end.

So, I'll call it a wash.

Anyway, Sparrow makes a good point about this being more Mantiou's specialty, which makes it a little easier to have the whole team reject my plan. Still, I don't think that's what Bombshell meant. In fact, I'm not sure anyone on the team really trusts me that much. Maybe Tundra, but she trusts everyone. Either way, I'm not going to run off by myself, so I eventually shrug and curtly respond, "Yeah, ok. Makes sense. Let's go."

I'm keeping an eye on my remote, though. They may not think it's impressive, but let's see them put together a device that can detect even faint traces of magic, just to see if they could.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

"All American Girl."

I shuffle over after her, looking sulky. "Hmph. I'm not letting it get in the way, splitting up to check out the two different signals was the obvious suggestion, and as the leader, the final choice is yours." I never argued against her decisions. "I - what?" I stare at her for a second, blinking repeatedly, not sure at all that I just heard that correctly. I can feel my own face starting to go red behind my mask, which isn't good, with my hair it makes me look ridiculous! I hastily cough several times, as she starts backpedaling rapidly. Phew, she didn't mean it like that!

...What if she did though. My blush is gone, but I'm smiling slightly as I move back to the group. I'm not exactly going to claim to like her back, but it's nice to be liked, isn't it?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Thrilling Underground Expedition, Continued!

With varying degrees of grumbling, you make your way down the passage that Manitou indicated. Strangely enough, it seems like the deeper you go towards whatever Manitou sensed the fresher — and colder — the air becomes. The slope continues down and gradually gets steeper and steeper until you finally come out into a large open cavern.


(Intrepid cave explorer not included!)

You hear an odd beeping coming from Showstopper's remote. It's kind of slow at first, but as you pick your way through and around the shallows, you can definitely tell that it's starting to beep faster and faster. That's... probably not good?

Everyone: What's something odd that you've noticed about the cave? What caught your attention?

Showstopper: You've noticed that the large dot has been following you. It's not quite on top of the group, but it's catching up quick. Any thoughts on what it might be? What's your grand plan to show everyone that you deserve their respect?

What do you do?

All-American Girl: Whoah! Can you believe that Sparrow just out and said that? It certainly is nice being liked, however she meant it, but what are you going to do about Showstopper? Did he have to be a jerk like that in front of the whole team?

You gain Influence on Sparrow again, so shift her labels!

What do you do?

Bombshell: Wow, it looks like Sparrow is making some kind of a move on AAG! And, maybe it's just your imagination, but was AAG... flattered by the concept? Talk about some serious love geometry in the works! What's your go-to strategy for letting off steam when you're, say, deep underground and causing a big mess is a bit of a bad idea?

What do you do?

Manitou: Well, everyone seemed to trust your judgement. That's gotta feel good! Still, though, it seems like the team is a little at odds with each other. Got any ideas on how to get everyone back on the same page? Regardless, what are you starting to feel now that you're getting closer to the source?

What do you do?

Sparrow: Well, that could have gone worse! I mean, yeah, you kind of were all over the place and may have confessed to a teammate and then tried to walk it back, but... AAG didn't flip out or anything, so there's something! Any ideas on what you're going to do with that? What do you think of this all, anyways? Did you realize that there were so many caves under Summitview?

What do you do?

Tundra: Well, it worked out just like you said! Everyone just ended up following Manitou. You're definitely feeling refreshed as the air grows chillier. In fact, all of this is kind of reminding you of a story that your mom told you once. Something about some sort of planar conflux? What was that about?

What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Oooooh! This is a planar conflux. A place where multiple worlds overlap! I think. At least that what mom told me. This one seems to be connected to some sort of plane of earth." Tundra exclaimed, quite a lot more knowledgeable than usual.

Realizing this, she smiles widely.

"I don't know what the green stuff is about, though. That isn't normal. Somebody must have messed with the magical energies present in this place! Try not to get your feet wet, I don't know what that liquid does. Could do anything from nothing to melt your skin off and animate the bone below to try and kick you in the face." she continues.

"... happened to one of Grandma's friends once."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2017 around 16:01

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

While trailing at the back, I think over how it's been going, and the general idea is "Yeah, that could have gone better."

I mean, if people had just generally agreed with Sparrow, then fair. Sparrow made a good point, and she's the team leader. But, no, the team just doesn't trust me. And that's pretty bullshit! All American's still bitter about the election, ok, fine, whatever. She'll pout for a while, but she'll get over it. But everyone else was probably thinking it too! Even Manitou! Especially Manitou!

What can I do...

*beep*

Hm, we're probably going to have a base soon, right? Maybe I could set up something cool there. Like a big computer to do research with...

No, that would just make me tech support.

Maybe hang out with them outside the team? But if they don't respect me to start, why would they want to hang out with me?

No, I got it! I'm gonna go do some solo things. Stopping bad guys by myself, that sort of thing. Serious bad guys, too! Gonna show them that I'm just as good as the rest of them.

*tsch* Didn't expect to have to prove myself to my own team, but there you go. If that's what it takes to get respect, I'm gonna do it.

*beepbeep*

Huh, that's odd. The cave doesn't echo. Otherwise, the beeping would be making a lot more noise, but the walls are just absorbing the soun-

Wait, beeping?

*beepbeepbeep*

"Uh... guys?" I glance down at the remote to see the last dot much closer than it was before. "I think we're gonna have company soon."

I flick the remote off and stow it, turning around to see what's coming up behind us. I'm already picturing some sort of necromantic baddie. Like... a fossilized T-Rex!

Man, that'd be cool, right?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

Sparrow! Mundane Up, Superior Down!

I'm just going to ignore Showstopper again, he clearly doesn't feel bad about what he did at all, and until he does, I don't see why I should care what he has to say! This is my determination as we head down through the... these aren't really right... tunnels? We should be in like, brick lined... streets, and abandoned basements and stuff. There shouldn't even be a deeper. But there is, and eventually we come out into an honest to god cavern. "whoa..."

My voice sounds especially quiet in such a large space, and trying to make it louder feels wrong. "this shouldn't be here..." Tundra's explanation a moment later makes sense. In that to me she basically just said 'its magic' which seems reasonable. Magic can explain pretty much anything. Though multiple worlds overlapping doesn't seem to explain what it has to do with that weird crypt basement thing, which had been there, in our world, for a long time. Unless this overlap had been her for a long time? I don't know, magic isn't my thing. Might not have time to work that out though if Showstopper, who I am still ignoring except for important things like 'we are about to be attacked', is right, and we're about to be attacked. I turn around to look back up the tunnel, hands drifting down to my belt.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Underground Tour

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! GOD! What else does Sparrow want, really!? She's already our loving leader, she has a parent that cares about her, she isn't a freak, she's cute and doesn't randomly explode like I do, and now even All American Girl seems to like her? What in the gently caress did I do to deserve this? Why does she get everything I wish I had?

I don't say a single word the entire walk down. This place is reacting to my powers for some reason, I can feel that, but I'm not going to mention it to anyone. It's not like anyone wants to listen to me, and I've more important things to think about anyways. Namely... is this worth it? I mean - I endanger everyone just by being here, and I doubt anyone else wants me around. My own loving parents don't - they could hardly hide their glee when I mentioned I was leaving - why should my 'teammates' want me around? All American Girl's really clever, I'm sure if she debates me versus Sparrow, she'll pick Sparrow... and where does that leave me?

The answer echoes back to me with every step we take deeper into the place. Alone.

Tundra explains the magic of this place, and Showstopper the tech, but I'm hardly listening. No, it's obvious to me now. I just gotta keep these idiots safe. They don't like me, don't care about me, and they shouldn't... but I've got to have the powers I do for a reason, I don't care how hosed up that is. I'll keep them safe, and right now that consists of scanning the area by emitting energy particles from my eyes to scan the room, then have them bounce back to analyze power sources here. That's probably a thing I can do, since I'm a loving science experiment now. Can you believe a year ago I was normal? That I was happy? Me neither.

Unleash Powers
<Rauri> .roll 2d6+1
<Platonibot> Rauri: 5 (2d6+1=1, 3)
<Rauri> wow
<goshfish> RIP
<Rauri> gently caress you Platonibot
+1 potential for me

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Why did I do that? What possessed me to say... that to Jessica? We're just friends! It's not like I actually like her that way... right? Or... do I? Ahhhhhh, why am I thinking of this right now!? I should be focusing on our current mission, not on whether I have feelings for Jessica or not! Which I don't! I think?

...Mother would be teasing me to no end if she saw me right now.

Focus, Sparrow! Keep your head in the game! You can think about how to deal with all this later!

I can't help but be a little surprised when we walk out into a large cavern. Has this always been here? I've lived in Summitview my whole life, and I've never heard of any underground caverns. Something about this place feels... off, and it's not until Tundra gives her explanation when it all starts to make a little more sense. Magic. Of course. I don't have that much experience with magic, but mother has shared with me her stories about her dealing with magic. "Don't even try to make sense of it. When somebody says "it's magic!" Just nod your head, and move on with your life," is what she would say.

Magic aside, I can't shake the feeling that we're being watched, and Showstopper helps confirm that feeling. "Alright, Justice Friends," I lower a hand to my sword, "Get ready. It looks like we're in for a fight."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Makki had really hoped that the prospect of the team getting close to finishing the mission would have made them stop fighting with each other and maybe that could have stopped it all together. She had hoped. And it was turning out to be a misguided hope as she could still feel the intense atmosphere of people not on speaking terms with each other. It was making the Manitou a little upset and that was very not in character. Maybe she should buy them... Something. Or suggest one of her normal teammates buy something and give them the money to do so because Makki didn't like walking into shops looking like she does.

She felt the cold and frigid air around her, the heat didn't bother her like it used to, back when she had an actual body of her own. But there was something about this chill that even she could feel. And heat, a very intense heat, a very intense heat right behin-

Oh no Holly! She's growing pretty hot, the only time Makki has seen her get incandescent like that is before she 'bursts'. She quickly scuttled around the group to the side of her friend and took her by the hand. She defiantly felt the great build up from just the skin contact

"Nononono." The towering pumpkin headed monster said quietly, gently caressing the hand of her friend. "You're overcooking Holly I can feel it, you start building energy when you get angry and then you blow up. Please calm down, please."

20:51 TheNabster Manitou attempts to be comforting and supporting. Using "Wish I could be" to roll +3 Freak
20:51 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
20:51 Krysmbot TheNabster, 10+3 = 13
20:51 TheNabster Ayyy
20:51 TheNabster Shush paps for everyone.

When you comfort or support someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit, they hear you: they mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels if they open up to you.

On a 10+, you can also add a Team to the pool or clear a condtion.


She held that hand a little longer, holding on for her own support more then Holly's at this point. He gave her warm fuzzies, or that could be the violent energy she felt herself slowly feed off of to try and prevent an explosion from happening. "That's better. The Holly I know has a lot going for her and is still despite it all can still be a normal girl who can live a normal life and doesn't have to worry about being a freak in the open. I would like to see that Holly be happy, I want her to be happy very much because she doesn't smile like she used to."

"Can I do anything for you at all right now?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2017 around 21:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



It's A Thrilling Underground Fight Scene!

Sorry for the delay! Fair warning, I'm going to be throwing a lot of random mechanics in and they may need to be tweaked as we go to be Actually Fun. Thanks for your patience!

The beeping grew more and more frequent, bordering on a constant hum, before it cut off completely. Silence falls over the cavern for a few minutes. Before you even have a chance to let out that breath you've been holding in, an unusual creature, seemingly some sort of skeletal fish-man, leaps out of the water and high into the air. It's plummeting straight towards Sparrow!


Skeletal Fish-Man?
Abilities:
-???

But wait! Even as the water stills and it chitters in whatever otherworldly tongue it uses, you hear a loud thumping from across the cavern. All eyes turn to see something that not many could claim to have seen before. A fossilized T-Rex! It doesn't seem to regard the fish-man as an ally, or necessarily at all, but it seems to have identified Manitou as the biggest threat and is headed straight for her!


Fossilized T-Rex
Abilities:
-Welcome... to Jurassic Park!: This thing is just too darn big for one of you to tackle! You can't Directly Engage it without someone either creating an opportunity (through an Unleash or Engage) or assisting your Engage attempt with a point of team.
-???

There'll be time to sort out your issues later, team! You've got some evil (or at least morally incompatible) foes to fight before you can figure out what's going on with this place!

Tundra: I'm sure you've got just the spell in mind. The dead might have stymied you last time, but this time you're going to show them the might of the North-Wind Witches!

What do you do?

Showstopper: This is your chance! You have just the gadget, just the move to turn this situation around! Succeed and they'll be sure to recognize your greatness. Fail? Well. Let's not think about that!

What do you do?

Take +1 forward for keeping an eye on the scanner!

All-American Girl: Whoah! That fish guy is moving fast! What's the plan? Help Sparrow? Help Manitou? Do the leader thing?

What do you do?

Bombshell: Makki seems to be real worried about you. But this? This is finally a problem you can just up and punch! How's your control been? Any worries about bringing the place down on your heads?

What do you do?

Remember to resolve that comfort/support!

Sparrow: Here it is, champ! The first chance you're going to get to really show them what you can do as leader! And what are you going to do about that fish guy, anyways?

What do you do?

Manitou: You're getting all sorts of weird vibes from the fish, but not so much from the giant skeletal dinosaur. What do you make of that? And, uh, any plans for derailing that massive skeleton stomping towards you?

What do you do?

  • Locked thread
«4 »