Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Taking Never Give Up, Never Surrender

"Yes. Just because there's nothing wrong with doing something doesn't mean it won't hurt someone." Yeah, he's walking away. "But I guess I shouldn't expect you to care about how other people feel!" And what was that supposed to mean?! "Busting your chops about what, exactly?!" Yup raising my voice here. Why do I even care if apologizes, he's such an rear end in a top hat about this!

[17:04:22] <GodFish> oh yeah, provoke showstopper: tell me what your problem is and/or apologize
[17:04:26] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[17:04:28] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 4+2 = 6
that was, with influence

GodFish fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2017 around 00:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

During the tunnel trek
So, this is happenings. I raise my voice, saying, "Fine! I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, ok?"

Now, I'm getting up on her face, yelling back, "And I'm sorry that I didn't fawn over you like everyone else did after the fight. I was too busy being thrown across the room by a skeleton T-Rex. Feeling ok now, thanks for asking. But i guess not all of us can be as beloved as you. But dont worry! I'll still be around to hotwire a car if you need to chase some robbers down, and I'll even leave the radio off so you can look a gift horse right in the mouth by lecturing me about how I did an awful thing and that I'm basically a criminal!"

got a 12 provoke.
Acknowledge you haven't treated showstopper the best either and gain a team, or don't and take a condition. ...i think. I don't have the book in front of me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

"That's such a worthless apology and you know it! You could at least try to sound like you care if you really want to 'bury the hatchet'!" Oh good, he's back, so now I can yell properly right back in his face, "You don't have to be, I don't expect people to be worried about me if I get hurt fighting as a superhero, that's why I'm here, it's part of the job! But Sor-ry I didn't realize you needed someone to kiss your ouchies and pat you on the back every time you do something! And I guess I didn't realize either that you wanted to be a superhero so you could break the law and get away with it all the time, but it's not like I stopped you from doing any of your illegal things, I just tried to say maybe we shouldn't if we're the good guys! I wanted to be on your team, I thought you'd be a great superhero, but apparently you don't think so, so maybe you should just make up your mind if you're a hero or not, because you can't have it both ways!" Hands on my hips, I'm glaring even harder, "Why did you even vote for me to be leader in the first place, and act like you were my friend if you've been this dam-dar-drat mad at me all this time for that ONE THING?!"

Taking Angry

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Afraid Underground Aftermath

Oh good, two of my three favorite teammates apparently hate each other. For a while I'm... well surprised's not really the right word, stunned is more accurate, but eventually both the team's situation, and mine specifically, gets my attention again.

"You two mind having this discussion AFTER we figure out what to do with this thing?" I give the orb I'm holding a little shake, as if to remind them that we're not done here quite yet. I'll say this, I've got more practice sounding surly than they do - and that combined with literally shaking the MacGuffin means hopefully the team's lips are shut and eyes are on me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Suddenly, I remember that All American and I have an audience for our yelling match. I fold my arms and look away, more than a little embarassed. To break the sudden silence, I say, "Righ. Um, later then. Anyway, I think you should smash it, but Tundra thinks that it might be dangerous and wants to remove it to study it. What do you think Manitou? You're the other person who knows anything about magic."

poo poo, this was so lame. This is specifically the kind of pathetic bullshit I want to avoid dragging out.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

Oh yeah, avoid answering, now that I've called out your bullshit Showstopper, ha! Folding my arms and looking way from him I stare around at the others, a set look on my face. "And I agreed with Tundra, since you decided to leave that out." What does Manitou think?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

Manitou takes a moment to process everything that has been said to her this far. The journey for her mostly went by in a sort of daze. Getting feeling back into your legs and all, so much so that she didn't even register when All American Girl addressed her directly nor did she pay much attention to the apparent lover's spat between her and Showstopper whilst they did. The source didn't help, she somehow was feeling vertigo, sea sickness and jet lag all at the same time, it was making it difficult to think, so much so that she didn't notice when they'd actually arrived at the chamber itself.

Lots of people suddenly addressing her at once snapped her out of her daze. "Whuh?"

She paused a few moments as she ran the conversation, they had the orb, people wanted to take it away, some people wanted to destroy it, the fights and other things were mostly just fluff to these important points she focused on them. "Yes..." Thoughts shunted together, there were multiple things to say yes too, she should clarify right? "Yes I think we should take it. Because, the thing about smashing, magic things is that it might make everything worse. We could all be turned into frogs as a result of the magical backlash, or killed. Or turned into frogs and killed. Or killed and then turned into frogs. I would not recommend forced transformation, or death."

"And we need to store it safely yes?" She held out gnarled hands to Bombshell. "I can safely store it if you hand it to me, I think I have an idea that may work to this end."

When the Orb was safely in her hands, she smiled at Bombshell warmly. "Thank you for trusting me. I think, in order to prevent the energies of this thing from affecting the environment whilst we transport it out, we need to put it somewhere that can safely absorb and disperse the energy into something more natural."

She said this rather matter of factly, and then put the entire thing into her mouth and swallowed it. Doubling up a little at the suddenl concentration of unknowable energies in her body, she quickly raises a hand as the glow suffuses her. "Gimme a sec... I think... I think I can... Nope, nope excuse me just a moment." Turning away from the party the mouth of Manitou opens widely and quite explosively spews neon green energy up the walls of the cavern as her body reacted violently to the energies, and tried to force it out. After a few seconds of this, the deluge seems to subside as wall flowers and other cave fauna begin to grow across the splash zone, she slumped to her knees.

"Urrrgh. I'll feel better as soon as I've got it out of me..." She shook herself a little, the radiant glow from her stomach dimming slightly. "Let's hurry please I don't think I want to do... That, again."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2017 around 21:22

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

I sigh, and rub the bridge of my nose as AAG and Showstopper have their little yelling match. "Now is not the time for this," I speak up, "Do I need to remind you both how important this mission is? The town is depending on us to get this done, and we won't be able to do that if we start arguing with each other. You two can discuss your problems after we're done with what we came here to do." I say that all as sternly as I possibly can. There's already enough tension between Bombshell and I, and I think the last thing we need is even more team conflict.

Speaking of Bombshell, I am not looking forward to the inevitable talk I'm going to have with her. Talking to her is going to be... difficult. Maybe I should get in contact with mother later for some advice on how to handle the whole Bombshell situation.

I turn to Manitou, my face filled with concern for her, and say, "Uh, will you... be okay with that thing inside of you?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

.... wow.

"Uh... are you okay Manitou? Do you need a shoulder to lean on to get out of here?" I offer her a hand, not entirely sure if it's actually safe to touch her after eating that. But she's containing it, right? Or the harmful bits anyway? Maybe I can get magic radiation powers from being near her? Hmm.

[21:38:28] <GodFish> support manitou
[21:38:31] <GodFish> !r 2d6
[21:38:31] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 4 = 4

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



A Thrilling Underground Wrap-Up

All-American Girl: He can't be right, right? He's just throwing more trash at you! But, even so, you can't help but feel like he has a point. A tiny point, maybe, but a point. What are you going to do about that? How are you going to show him that he's wrong about you?

Mark Insecure.

As you offer Manitou a hand, you notice that her mouth is starting to tremble again. That's... probably not good. You should get out of the way before- A tide of neon green energy washes over you. That's definitely not good. Your clothes are soaked in magical goo, for sure, and parts of the costume are starting to sprout up into odd, otherworldly plants. Huh. As you shake the goo out of your hair... Well, it seems like your hair has transformed into delicate green ferns. Once you get past the novelty of having plant hair, if you do, it's a small consolation that it looks pretty good. Clashes a bit with your color-scheme, though.

Huh. Probably not how you expected the day to go when you got up this morning? I guess you'll need a landscaper instead of a barber now. It doesn't even look like you got cool plant powers out of the deal! How do you feel about that?

Manitou: Well, uh, that just happened. What do you say to AAG? Are you feeling any better? Actually, what does it feel like having the orb inside you? Are you noticing any changes in your body?

---

Everyone: Despite Manitou's gastrointestinal distress and AAG's bath in liquid plant magic, you've secured the orb without smashing it and/or transforming into all sorts of frogs! Great! If only your team cohesion was half as good. All-American Girl and Showstopper are on the outs, Bombshell has all sorts of unresolved tension with Sparrow, and then there's that whole love triangle! Such is the life of teenage superheroes. Luckily, the process of extricating yourself from the depths beneath Summitview is much simpler than the descent turned out to be! After a short hike, whether it was icily silent or filled with more arguments, you find yourselves walking back outside the Underground to the sight of the rising sun.

Seems as good a time as any to call it a day, right? Evil may never sleep, but you lot look pretty tired after being out all night. Speaking of which, how did you set up your room in the base?

Manitou, Tundra: As the team's recognized magical authorities, it's up to you to figure out a slightly more elegant (and permanent) method to store the orb. What do you do with it? Are you going to figure it out by yourselves or try and bring in an expert?

Bombshell, Sparrow: All-American Girl is looking like she's had a rough day. Are you going to try to cheer her up? Any chance of burying the hatchet, at least for the moment, while you help her out? If not, what's the plan?

Showstopper: Man, that was a rough day. Not only did nobody notice your contributions during the fight, nobody even listened to your plan! Have you felt like this before? What's your go-to method to cheer yourself up?

Everyone: What do you do?

Alright, this is the end of session 1! Make your end of session moves, vote on Tundra's legacy roll either via IRC or the OOC thread, and feel free to establish any intermission scenes that you want. We're in flex time, so feel free to be in multiple scenes at once. I'll prompt scenes as necessary or as requested. We'll start session 2 at the base a few days later.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Ok, that was wild. Manitou just ATE it. I had no idea she could even do that! ...And it really didn't agree with her.

Or All American Girl, for that matter.

I cover my mouth to stifle a giggle, because come on, watching her get slimed out of no where is just funny! But I don't want to make things even shittier with All American... Still, that gives me an idea to try and make things better. Because, yeah, I'm still mad. Way too mad to do anything with it now, but I know that I'll chill out later. I really did mean I wanted to stop fighting before. So, when no one is looking, I scrape a sample of the goop from the floor.

__________________________________________________________________

So, when I get back, I toss my satchel of equipment on the workbench and gently place the sample in a tube rack. My room is down in the basement by the garage, and I've got my clothes mostly in a duffel bag. I never really got around to seriously unpacking, so I just left all the unimportant stuff (like clothes and such) in the bag. Important stuff, like my music, various projects I'm working on, or a bunch of half-filled sheet music is scattered on various surfaces around the room.

Speaking of music, I gesture to the sound system in the corner and the music starts pumping out of the speakers. I turn it up to half and then start thinking. I figure Bombshell probably is probably taking care of business with All American and/or Sparrow first, like she said. That's assuming she still wants to hang out with me at all after that pathetic pity party I just put on. All American's probably freaking and, well, we're still fighting. And I don't blame her about freaking. I know I'd be freaking out a bit if I started sprouting leaves. Tundra and Manitou are probably doing something about the magic orb. Which... leaves me by myself. Well, maybe Sparrow's free, I guess, but she's probably with All American. And I'm not sure what I'd do with her, anyway.

Still, I'm used to being on my own. I mean, Bombshell was pretty cool about talking about how the fight went, but everyone else? Probably thought things would have gone just fine without me. Whatever. I know I did a lot.

But, after taking a breather while listening to my music, I start eyeing the sample. Sure, it's probably magic, but my detector did... pretty fine figuring magic out. So, I should be able to figure out what it'll take to get All American back to normal. Cranking the volume up to max, I lower my head to the table level, pull out a few pieces of jury rigged testing equipment, and say, "Ok. Let's see what your deal is."

<Capfalcon_work> Showstopper unleashing the powers of SCIENCE!
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 7+1 = 8
Marking Insecure, since he REALLY wants this to work out.

Also, I'm fine with a triple yes on Tundra's questions. She was a little clumsy, but otherwise she did a good job.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Showstopper:

After fiddling with the sample for an hour or two, you realize that it's going to be a bigger job than you thought. Magic isn't exactly your wheelhouse, though sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable and all that. Do you know anyone who dabbles in weird science?

quote:

To fix AAG's hair:
(1) First, you must have the Orb intact to run some tests on as well as take samples from AAG's hair.
(2) You'll need help from an established super-scientist.
(3) It'll take time and a number of attempts.

You do, almost as more of an afterthought than anything else, succeed in tweaking one of your holo-projectors into a headband that should cover up All-American's new plant 'do with a holographic version of her normal hair. It's still green, but that's pretty easily explainable. Ferns? Not so much.

What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Oh grooooooooss! Ahh, my costume is sprouting! It's a good thing my backup is almost finished so I can wear that until I fix this one, but yuck, gotta get this goo out... of... my... ferns? "AhhhHhHH!" MY HAIR WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HAIR! After patting my clothes desperately for a second I pull out my sword, using the reflection in the blade as a mirror. It's... ferns. Yup. Ferns. "hhhhh...actually this looks kind of cool WAIT MY SECRET IDENTITY AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" I can't go around with plant hair normally, everyone will know who I am an in instant - it's not like I'm trying hard to keep it a secret, but, if someone finds out I want to be the one who told them! AhhhhHH!!!




Maybe it'll go away. You know, after a few days. I could definitely just hide for a few days when not doing heroics. Hmm. On the way back to the base I stopped at a few plants, trying to make them grow or something by waving my hands around and concentrating. Nothing. This sucks. I got the downsides of getting transformed into something obviously not normal without getting to look really cool or getting superpowers. I mean it doesn't look bad, but it's not like looking like a giant spooky pumpkin like Manitou or a sick dinosaur person like what's his name, that hero over in Halcyon City.

My room is mostly given over to my workshop, which is to say, a sewing machine, some spools of cloth, a small leather working kit, that sort of thing, though I have a couch and a coatrack with my costume and bits and pieces of other potential designs on it. Oh and two mirrors, obviously, so I can examine my work when I'm wearing it. It's one of those that I'm in front of now, critically examining my appearance. What can I do with this? Hope it goes away as my hair grows out, maybe, but that's not much good in the meantime. I can't go around being All American Girl with Bright Green Plant Hair. Doesn't work. Sighing, I sit down at my desk and pull over a piece of paper, starting to scratch out ideas. The Green Party. mh. Green Giant. no. Organic Heroine... might be the start of an idea, but no. All Natural Girl? Natural Hero. Hero of Nature? Heroic Nature? Nature Heroic? Gluten Free Girl. I need a new direction. Wild Girl. Hm. Man versus Wild. Wilderness. I might be able to do something with that. Sort of abstract concept. Into the Wild. Nooo. After a bit more working I've settled on All Natural Girl or Wilderness. The Green Party is still sitting at the top of the list. Hm. Could do a simple American Flag outfit except its three shades of green instead of red/white/blue. ...No. I just need to buy some plant patterned fabric and some green cloth and I should be able to make a good Wilderness or All Natural Girl costume though. I should run the two ideas by some other people on the team though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I nod when I get the results back. Knew it wasn't going to be simple. Magic bullshit never is. Still, I know she's freaking about her hair. She really cares about the whole secret identity thing. And making it LOOK normal is a lot easier.

Thing is... she's probably not going to come down here, what with the whole screaming match we just had. But wait. She likes Bombshell, and they're probably going to hang out soon. So I can just give it to Bombshell! Perfect!

'"IM to Bombshell" posted:

Hey. Know youre probably going to hang out with All American. Got something something she probably wants. I'd give it to her, but... you know... we're still fighting.

I fiddle with my tools a little (my toolbench is the only part of the room that is immaculate) and then decide to send another message.

IM to Manitou, Tundra posted:

When you figure out what you're doing with the orb, let me know. Got some tests I wanna run. You sure you ok, Manitou.

Should make sure they're not sending it to the Phantom Zone or something.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

IM to Showstopper posted:

Going to call up Grandma about it. She'll know what to do - she dealt with something really similar to this before.

Happily typing away at her comically outdated phone, Carol then selects one of her saved contacts, and calls them.

"Hi Grandma! I need your help. Do you have some time?" she asks. Without actually waiting for a response, she continues. "Actually, this is kinda really important. We found one of those planar conflux orb thingies in a cave. It turned most of it into a weird acid-magic draining underground river! What are we supposed to do with it? Uhm, also, one of my friends ate it. Are they going to be alright? And, uhm, another one grew a garden on her hair when she touched it. Can you fix that?"


quote:

When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2017 around 16:17

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Tundra:

After a few rings, the call goes through. Your grandma doesn't say anything at first, but after you finish she lets out an exasperated sigh. "Carol, what have I told you about messing with strange magic? It's like you don't listen to a word I say!" She yammers on for a few moments about kids these days and their poor decision making skills, which is a talk you've heard roughly a hundred times in recent memory. You could probably even recite it by heart.

Eventually, though, she seems to calm down and offer some pertinent advice. "Alright, what's done is done. You're going to need to store it in an ice construct. The magic of the North-wind witches should cool it enough to prevent any additional secretions. As for your friends, I don't know. It sounds like their pattern is being forcefully altered by exposure to planar energies. You can't fix something like that with more magic, but... Isn't that like what happened to your friend, Manny? Manatee? You know, the plant one. It might be worth checking into Cheiron Cryptoinnovations to see if they have any information hidden away."

Take +1 ongoing to construct an ice-based container for the Orb and break-in to investigate one of Cheiron's secret labs. Or, alternatively, blow off the advice and mark potential!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:


"Hey! It wasn't me! ... This time..." Tundra retorts. "But thanks! I'll go fix this."

Taking way too long to find the stop call button, she eventually finshes the call and writes Showstopper another message.

Message to Showstopper posted:

Hey, it's me again. Grandma told me to store it in an ice construct to stop the secretion. She said trying to use more magic to fix AAG's hair isn't going to work, though - something about patterns being altered by planar energies? I dunno, it's all technobabble to me! - but she said Cheiron Cryptoinnovations might have some information. Where you at right now? I'll come over."


quote:

20:08 Yamifenrir Tundra, what does the legacy think about you?
20:08 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+3
20:08 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 8+3 = 11

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I message back:

IM to Tundra posted:

Those are the fuckers that Manitou and I looked into. Guess I'm gonna be paying them another visit.

Anyway, just working on some stuff in my room, but you can stop by whenever. Down in the garage, remember?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



All-American Girl:

While you're absorbed in the tough work of dreaming up a new (temporary?) super-heroic identity, your thoughts turn to your Grandpa. How do you think that he's going to take your new look? Do you think this minor setback and/or potentially awesome development is going to color his perceptions of your chosen career?

...didn't you promise to grab dinner with him tonight?

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 22, 2017 around 00:51

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Once I get back to my room, I collapse on my bed, completely exhausted from the stressful events of the night. My room is filled with posters, DVDs, and figures from my favorite anime, Rose Princess Noriko. I even have the limited edition replica of Noriko's roseblade, which they've only made ten of. It might sound silly, but the show left a deep impact on me when I first watched it, all those years ago, and the main heroine, Noriko, is one of my idols. I based my whole heroic identity on her, right down to how she'd appear while being surrounded by cherry blossom leaves. Noriko was always so strong, brave, and confident. She was everything I wish I could be.

I roll around on my bed, so I'm facing up, and stare at the ceiling. God, poor AAG. At least it's just her hair. As much as I want to go and try to cheer her up a little... I still have that whole issue with Bombshell to resolve.

...Now that I think about it, Bombshell got angrier than usual when I started talking to AAG. Almost as if... she likes her, too...

...Great, there's another reason for Bombshell to hate me, I guess.

I give a long, tired sigh. Maybe I should call mother, and get her advice on how to handle this whole situation. I pull out my phone, and dial her number.

"Hello, mother. I... think I might need some help." I proceed to tell her about everything that's happened. I tell her about my poor attempts at being a leader, my sudden confession to AAG, the tension between me and Bombshell, and how we both might like the same girl. I tell her how much I think Bombshell hates me, and how scared/nervous I am of confronting her. I probably sound like a rambling mess. "...I have no idea what to do. I want to talk with her, but I'm afraid she's going to explode on me if I do. What should I do?"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Sparrow's going to reach out for some motherly advice!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 7+1 = 8

Using Fireside Chat. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sparrow:

Ren makes appropriate motherly interjections as you tell your story and as you trail off, she says, "It sounds like you've had a rough day, honey. It sounds like everyone had a rough day. You're going to want to talk this out sooner than later, things do sound pretty tense, but I'd give Bombshell a day or two to cool down. Maybe you could meet her with one of your other teammates? Probably not All-American Girl, that might just make things worse. How about Manitou? Those two get along, right?" There's a brief pause, then in that excited tone you're oh-so-familiar with, she asks you to spill all the details about All-American Girl. And, possibly, invite her over for dinner.

Take +1 forward to talk things out with Bombshell, possibly with a mediator!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Oh poo poo! Dinner with Gramps, I almost forgot! Or technically I would have forgotten if I hadn't just remembered! How much time do I have? ... Oh, okay. Got time. Phew. But yeah... that's going to be... He's always been supportive of me, even if I think he never really expected me to actually go through with it and succeed, but this is going to worry him. It isn't like it did any damage, but that's kind of the point, if it could just mutate my hair like that, what else could it have done? I know he fought not with, but adjacent to, some of the first heroes back in WWII, but no one wants to think about their family mutating into weird things, even if I think Manitou is awesome.

Maybe I can cover it up with a baseball cap and a scarf or something...

In front of the mirror again, a few minutes later... no. No I can't.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Mother, please!" I could feel my face redden when she tries to get me to talk about All-American Girl, "...But that's not a bad idea. I'll try to talk to Manitou and see if she could be our mediator." A small smile crosses my face, as I say, "Thanks, mom. I'll see you tonight for dinner. Love you, too."

Invite AAG over for dinner, huh? I guess it wouldn't hurt, and I was planning on checking up on her anyways. I'll go talk with Manitou after I'm done talking with AAG for a bit. I hop out of my bed, and make my way to AAG's room.

Standing in front of the door to her room now, I take a deep breath, and knock on the door. "Hey, it's Sparrow. Do you mind if I come in?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Maybe I should try and put it off for a day or two, give my hair a chance to revert. It's gotta revert, right?

"huh? Oh, just a sec!" Stepping away from the mirror, I hurry over to my coatrack and pull my domino mask back on over my eyes, then step up to the door. I hesitate for a moment with my hand on the handle, but.. everyone already saw me with plant hair, so... I open the door. "Hey Sparrow, come on in, have a seat." I wave her towards the couch, shutting the door behind her and head back to my desk, sitting down on my chair and swiveling to face her. "Okay, All Natural Girl, green ... spandex, yeah, with leafy plant patterns, or Wilderness, kind of shaggy pants and shirt, green again but with a bit of camo style, and a vine holster. What do you think?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

I sit down on the couch, and try not to stare at her leafy green hair. "Oooh, I like All Natural Girl. It's a nice spin on your original name, and it fits well with the plant theme!"

"And, um, if it means anything, I actually think your new hair is really cool! It, um," I shuffle around nervously as I try to think of what else to say, "It...it...it makes you really stand out! In a good way, I mean!" Agh! Why am I so bad at this!? I look at her apologetically, and say, "...Sorry, I'm... not very good at this. I... I just wanted to try to cheer you up a bit after you had that argument with Showstopper, and had your hair changed like that. I, um, actually think you're really awesome and super talented, and... and... and..." I gulp, "...really cute." My entire face turns bright red as I say that.

"...And I really do think the plant hair is really cool."

quote:

Sparrow - Today at 4:55 AM
/r 2d6+2 # comforting All-American Girl! (+1 from influence)
SidekickBOT - Today at 4:55 AM
@Sparrow: 2d6+2 comforting All-American Girl! (+1 from influence) = (4+6)+2 = 12

AAG gets the usual, and I'll choose to add a Team to the pool!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I'll remove Angry

Aww. "Thanks!" I mean it too. "I... I do think it looks good, but I can't go around in public like this as, you know, myself... It'll give it away in an instant. But I really appreciate you trying to cheer me up," I reach out and take her hand, giving it a soft squeeze. I think my face is going red too, it's probably clashing horribly with my hair now. I let go of her hand fairly quickly, and reach back to brush my ferns into what is hopefully a more flattering position. "You're pretty cute too, you know." Yeah, definitely going red. "So!" I stand up, putting my list down on the desk, I'll get back to it later. "Do you want to do that sparring you were thinking of? I've got an hour or so, anyway." Before I need to figure out if I'm canceling on Gramps tonight or not. Hm. "But, you're gonna lose, like I said!" Yeah, definitely not worried about her sword fighting plus magic beating me. Since I'm not gonna shoot my teammate. At least I'm feeling a lot happier in general, anyway.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

...Can I feel your muscles?



Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Oooh yea. I can see how that could be a problem, and it's probably really hard to cover up. Hopefully Manitou and Tundra can come up with a solution for it."

I didn't think it was possible for my face to get any redder, but it somehow does when she holds my hand. My heart feels like it's about to beat out of my chest at this point. "Huh? Training? Oh! Right!" I almost forgot about that! It's a good thing she reminded me! "Heh, I'm not so sure about that," I retort, "I warn you, I'm pretty good with a sword, and to make it a little more fair, I won't use any of my 'magic' during our sparring session." It seems fair enough. I doubt she's going to use her guns on me, and I don't want to accidentally electrify her, "I hope you're ready, because I'm not planning on going down easy," I smile and wink at her.

"Loser buys the team dinner?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

The orb was really disagreeing with her attempts to contain it, so much so that she even ended up throwing up all over All-American Girl when she came over to see if she was okay. She didn't have the breath to tell her to stay back a little, and when she opened her mouth... "Oh... Oh no." Manitou put fingers into her mouth in sheer embarrassment of what she had just done to her maybe possibly friend. "I'm so sorry I didn't mean that to happen I really didn't sorry sorry sorry." The tone with quiet, apologetic and slightly panicked, internal troubles temporarily forgotten the idea of having accidentally mutated her friend made her feel utterly terrible.

Even as she fussed and stammered out apologies over AAG, Manitou could feel the changes coming over her as her plant body - forcefully ejecting it from herself having failed - attempted to adapt to it's strange energies instead. The results were... Odd.

---

A few hours later, things were clearly wrong. First she started sprouting flowers, this was normal, then she broke out in oddly coloured flowers that were out of season, or even not native to the continent entirely. But by the time she had arrived at Tundra's house things had taken a turn for the utterly bizarre and alien. This wouldn't do at all. The moment she saw the first unnatural growth she had bounded down the street towards Tundra's house, taking care to avoid any relatives and crept in through the open window. She made sure she knocked first however.



"Do we know what we are going to do with the Orb Carol? Only, I've been growing flora not native to this world all over my body, it's getting a little difficult to stay, incognito right now." Thankfully earlier gastric troubles had ceased after a few moments of uncertainty and a lie down somewhere normal and natural for a few minutes but right now the room was being bathed in an eerie and florescent glow as light tipped petals waved and shifted under an unfamiliar sun, and thin spindly buds flashed a rainbow in unknowable colours. "I don't know if they would even take to the soil or not, but foreign invasions of flora can have a terrible effect on the local ecosystem." As she said this, a wisp-like bud bloomed out of her Pumpkin head, she looked over Tundra's shoulder at the screen.

"You wouldn't mind if we deposited this orb somewhere safe first would you? Only, it's getting a little uncomfortable to keep around, and I don't want to start breaking out in spontaneous alien fungus or something in case it starts putting spores everywhere and that might cause... Problems."

She thinks about this. "Oh and can I send a message back to Showstopper?" She reached over and with a long branch like finger typed very slowly into the chatbox.

IM to Showstopper posted:

i am o k. thank you for asking. will be round soon i think. finding safe place for orb first. t t y l.

And manually clicked the send button afterwards.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2017 around 18:55

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:


"Yeah, it's fine. Already know where. All kinds of crazy magical stuff happens in grandma's house anyway, one more thing isn't gonna hurt. She told me to freeze it nice and solid and it should stop puking another plane into ours."

She looks at Manitou, expectingly.

"Oh. right. Could you like, put it right there? I'll just freeze it."

Channeling her magic, she suddenly releases far too much.

"Woah woah woah that is a lot stronger than expected!!" she cries out as the entire room is engulfed in a near-polar temperature.




quote:

22:10 Yamifenrir Alright, Tundra attempts to unleash her powers to contain the orb!
22:11 *** Theantero quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
22:11 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+1
22:11 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 5+1 = 6
22:11 Yamifenrir good job, tundra

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

Thinking quickly to avoid becoming a blossom in the frost, and with a display of muscle control most people could never hope to achieve but managed by a lot of snakes, Manitou quickly forces the orb up her gullet and back into back into her mouth, spitting it with almost dead-eye accuracy at the sudden epicentre of sub-zero temperature.

Bits of goo and released magic encounter the thermal void coming the other way, as one prison is quickly replaced with another, the orb seemed to suck in the frigid cold into itself.

Manitou is going to spend a Team to bump Tundra's roll.

Manitou braces herself just in case that quick interjection didn't work.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2017 around 20:54

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

Tundra catches her breath as she finally manages to wrestle control over her magic back.

"Huff... that was close!" she yelps.



Marking Afraid to make it permanent.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 2, 2017 around 17:43

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Tundra:

Well, that was close! After an incredibly frightening moment where it seemed that the orb was going to increase the leakage commensurately with the frost magic that was being sent into it, the orb was surrounded by a perfect snowflake. Successfully contained and ready for transport wherever you want to stow it!

What do you do?

Manitou:

You did it! Thanks to your perfect aim, Tundra's attempts to contain the orb are successful. Do you think you can control your new growths now or is that going to be a project that needs some outside help? In any case, you promised to meet up with Showstopper once the orb was taken care of.

What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

"Alright!" Tundra exclaims enthusiastically.. "A job well done! Let's go meet up with Showstopper!"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 2, 2017 around 17:41

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

"Certainly lets... But erm, do we take the orb with us or should we leave it here with your Grandmother?"

Already with that orb out of her system she could slowly feel herself returning to normal. The Alien Growths would fade in time and return to mulch in her body, although she quite liked the flower on her head she wondered if she maintained the power it would stay. That was one worry taken care of at least, that only leaves several other fighting for attention.

"I don't feel comfortable letting it out of our sight."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid


"It's gonna be fiiine! Don't worry about it. Mom and Grandma got it under control." Tundra reassures Manitou. "Anyway, Showstopper asked I meet up with him, so I'mma go there. Feel free to come!"

That said, she leaves the house, making her way to Showstopper's turf. Once there, she rings the bell.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 2, 2017 around 17:41

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

By the time they get here, I've got the music cranked up to seven. Yes, cranked up. I've got a killer sound system. I'm actually a little worried to dial it up to 10, since by my calculations, it might seriously damage the foundations.

I've got the doorbell to flash a light over the door in addition to ringing. No way I'd hear it normally. Anyway, I dial it back to a one and go over to the door, saying, "Hey, come on in. Sit anywhere you like." I gesture to the mounds of clothes or half finished projects around the room that probably conceal furniture. Then, I start rapidly talking over the music, "So, I've been doing some tests. I've got a rough idea on what I need to do to fix All American's hair. I know we're fighting, but that's... ugh. Anyway. Gonna have to take a look at that orb later. And her hair." I frown at that, realizing that's probably going to be a little tougher, what with us still fighting. I wave it off as a problem for later, "Oh, and you probably saw earlier, but I'm going to take a look at Cheiron to get some more information about... um... you, Manitou. You ok wi-"

I finally look up and stop short when I notice Manitou's appearance, "So, you, uh, sure you're ok, Manitou? You're looking... different."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: -2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"Well in that case, I won't shoot you!" As for dinner, "Well, maybe dinner tomorrow night, I might be busy. But dinner eventually, anyway, you're on. To the gym!" Plucking my sword up off the stand, I head out into the hall and over to the small room we use as a gym/training room. It's not great, but it'll do fine for the two of us. After a few minutes applying a thick rubber edge to stop me from accidentally cutting her in half, I take position a few feet away from Sparrow and give her a half bow. Then, one hand on my hilt and the other on my sheath, eyeing her closely I count us off, "three... two... one... go!" Out comes the sword, slicing towards her side in a quick arc.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +3 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Afraid The Base

Dammit, I fell asleep for way too long! I only meant to take a little nap - not be out for like, hours!

Sitting up in bed, I give my room a brief and groggy overview. The whole thing's reinforced for safety reasons, which just serves as a constant reminder of my condition, but it's not too bad. Moved all my stuff out of mom and dad's place, so my room's mostly clothes on the floor and carefully arranged boxes of vinyl records at the base of my bed, near the only expensive thing I own, my Vinyl player and attached speakers. There's some other boxes of crap I haven't bothered to unpack, along with some furniture I picked up a thrift store and a lot of coloured lights strung up everywhere, with a few band posters to round the room's appearance out. Should probably get around to unpacking everything, but for now this is home.

Slowly rising to my feet and tracking my phone down, I head over to the bathroom to check my hair in the mirror while checking to see if I have any messages. None from All American Girl (of course), but I've got stuff from Showstopper. poo poo, I was supposed to talk to her before hanging out with him... chalking my hair up as a messy lost cause, I send a couple responses.

txt to Showstopper posted:

Crap sorry dude, fell asleep.
Yeah I'd be happy to give whatever it is to her, I'ma try and see if she wants to chill soon
Wish me luck
I'll be by in just a bit to pick it up + we can hang? Gonna bring some albums, you got something that can play records right?

Staring at my phone with utter nervousness, I tap out a message to All American Girl too... and then rapidly add a few more after I finish the first one. She makes me so nervous... did you know I used to be pretty normal about like, flirting and dating? Turns out a year of being a monster sort of destroys your confidence, who'd have thought? Whatever...

txt to All American Girl posted:

Is there any chance you want to hang out later? Have something I'm supposed to give you + something to ask you.
Oh yeah super sorry that happened to your hair! Hopefully we can fix it. Don't want you having weird hair - take it from someone with weird eyes, people notice.
Not that your hair is weird! Just meant the accident earlier
Anyways if you want to hang out, please let me know.

Sighing, I head towards Showstopper's room, knocking on the door and hoping he still wants to chill.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun





Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

"I decided to do my hair a little differently this morning" Manitou said, stone facedly refusing the comment on the kaleidoscopic riot of colour across her body and holding the orb.

That was a little embarrassing she'd have to admit, not the hair comment or the rainbow flower suit (although it was close) but the fact half way through heading to Showstopper's house Manitou had asked "Weren't we supposed to being the orb too?"

There was that awkward pause when recent memory caught up to the both of them, and then Manitou had ran back to Carol's room to grab it. And then they confined the walk (or one person walking and the other person skulking behind because she isn't meant to be seen in broad daylight) and no comment was made to anyone.

There was a knock on the door at this point, Manitou raised a quizzical eyebrow (or would have if she had any at Showstopper). "I don't think I should be the one to open the door, it might be the post man."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Apr 25, 2017 around 16:54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I nod slowly, saying, "Uh... huh." She doesn't wanna talk about it; we don't have to talk about it. When they talk about the orb, I say, "Great! Were you going to leave it here? I'd make sure to keep an eye on it."

While I'm looking at Manitou's new appearance, I slap my head when the door rings again. "Oh, right. I forgot I invited Bombshell over to hang out. Back before I started looking into All American's new doo, anyway. You guys are welcome to stay and listen to some music, too."

I get the door and usher her in with the others. After giving her a moment to get settled, I say, "I was just telling them about what I think needs to happen to fix All American's hair. It's, you know, gonna be a lot of work, but it's coming along. Oh, and I made this too." I produce the hairband, handing it to Bombshell, saying, "It's holographic. She puts it on, and her brambles are gonna look like hair again. ...Well, they're gonna look like GREEN hair, but she can keep that secret identity of hers without people asking why she's growing a bush out of her head."

I shrug and add, "Figure you'd want to deliver the good news, since you're... actually getting along with her." I almost say, "Since you're crushing on her" but think better of it. She probably doesn't want to make a big deal out of that in front of the others.

I continue, "Anyway, all that's for later. What'd you bring?" I lean to the side to try and get a peek at what albums she's brought. I finally turn off the music so we can switch out records and point out the record player to her.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply