Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

When the lights come up, I'm glad that we're done. Not just because this has been hella boring. I mean, I've been rocking back in forth in the chair for the entire debrief, and if I had to sit here another moment, I might have screamed! But, on top of that, I sort of ended up in a bank vault a few blocks over, and I didn't want to have to explain that the "bank robber" the town's been looking for was me.

Don't give me that look! I didn't touch a thing!

I just, uh, kinda had to fry the bank's security system for a few hours so I could get out without being seen.

Stupid portals.

Once he's gone, I grin at the others and say, "Finally. Thought he'd never leave!" I settle my chair down and add, "Gotta say, it's kinda weird to have an ...sort of official sanction to go stir up some trouble. Can't say I'm going to be looking a gift horse in the mouth, though."

I nod when All American mentions the Underground tour, saying to the team, "That's a good lead. We also might think about figuring out how Lichtos knew about all the mystic nonsense down there. Someone had to point him on the right track, since... ah... he didn't exactly strike me as a guy who was all there, you know?"

While I'm waiting, I give a sidelong look at All American Girl. She's been ignoring me for a bit, and yeah, I feel sort of lovely about backing someone else for team lead. But come on, Sparrow's got a pedigree when it comes to superheroing! I mean, Mockingbird is awesome! And from the brief time I've hung with Sparrow, she's actually been pretty cool to me, unlike someone else I could name who's got a lecture for every little thing!

And, yeah, I did some stuff with all of them before when we were solo acts, but we never teamed up afterwards because 10 heroes is overkill for almost anything out in the sticks.

I'm just glad we're not getting paired up with some randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

...Yikes, I might actually owe All American an apology. Sparrow might not be cut out for this after all!

Ah, well. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And it looks like most people want to go to the underground tour instead of pounding some pavement. Fine with me, I guess. It was just an idea.

Anyway, Bombshell is looking a little... glowly right now, so maybe we should just decide on something so we can get out of here.

I start rocking my chair again and say, "Well, sounds like we're starting with the tour. I think we all need a break after that, and I don't know about you all, but getting interrogated by the police always make me hungry. So, I vote we grab some food before we go play tourist." Looking over to Bombshell, I add, "We could all grab something to go, if you want."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

After grabbing a single burger, since I'm not about to even humor All American's eating contest idea, I spend most of lunch doing my own thing. I guess I do have to give All American credit for sticking with her gimmick. What's more American than an eating contest?

Anyway, "My own thing" mostly consisted of working on some lyrics for a new song. Normally, I'd run them by All American, but... well... she's still steamed over the earlier vote. And I don't really know how useful the others would be on this, so I just stick to my booth and spread out my papers over the table.

------------------------------------------------

Anyway, when she tries to split us off from her for the investigation, I just shrug and say, "Whatever works for me." If she's gonna be petty about it now, I'm not going to fight it. I do feel sorta bad about jumping ship on her, but I'm willing to give Sparrow a shot before I change my vote again. But, I'll make something nice for All American in the mean time. Show her no hard feelings (and also keep her from having a reason to get on my case anymore than she already does.) I'm thinking... a new kind of trick bullet or something. She loves that kind of poo poo.

When Tundra speaks to her confusion, I say, "Oh, I've got an idea there." I grin as I heft off my backpack and start digging through it. I present a rough, TV remote looking device with a flourish, saying, "I may not know a lot about magic, but that Lichthos guy was radiating some kind of energy. I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how to track it, and I think I'm on the right track. With a little luck, we'll have a nice clean trail to follow." I start tuning it, keeping a close eye on the scope at the top. Don't want a fuse to blow while it's in my hand or anything.

<Capfalcon_work> Unleash gadget powers
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 8+1 = 9

Unstable or temporary use of a tracer to find

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

quote:

<Tricky> Capfalcon_work: It's showing three different readings in the underground. You're /pretty/ sure that one of them is real and that you know which one it is.

I grin as I get some hits. ...Wait, some hits? I start fiddling with the knobs, muttering, "Stupid magic bullshit..." After trying a bit to tune out the noise, I decide it's no use. Still, one of them looks a lot stronger than the others.

Nothing to do but just tell them what's up. I say, "Got a signal down this tunnel. It's pretty strong, so it's what we're looking for. ...Probably. There's some noise that could be other readings that way and that way." I point down the other two tunnels to illustrate what I'm talking about. I look to Sparrow, adding, "So, we splitting up or just going down this tunnel?"

See, I can be a team player.

"Either way, I'm going down this tunnel," I say, pointing down the one with the strongest signal.

Well, mostly a team player.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Well, that was a surprisingly good plan. Maybe Sparrow just needed a little to get her head in the game, because she seems to be on the ball now.

Still, I'm gonna keep an eye on her. But, for now, I just say, "Sounds like a plan," before I turn and start walking down the tunnel, with the understanding that everyone is going to follow me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Hey, leggo!" I blurt out in surprise.

After talking a bit more, I frown and say, "I dunno. My signal's strongest over here. Anyway, if you're sure whatever I'm tracking is moving, then that's probably someone we can question. So, all the more reason we should go my original way."

I glance over at Sparrow, waiting for her to weigh in.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Ok, seriously? We're going to be this petty? Fine. I can do petty.

I tap my finger on my chin as if thinking about it, then shake my head, saying, "Nah, if we're splitting up, why don't we do Sparrow, Bombshell, and myself, with you, Tundra and Manitou as secondary lead. After all, since you'd be following Manitou's senses, it just makes sense that they'd lead right?"

<Capfalcon> provoke All American
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 8+2 = 10

Give a team if you agree, or take a condition if you don't.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Well, it's a bit rough that Bombshell decides to go on the other team because she trusts Mantiou more, but I got All American rilled up after she continued to be an rear end.

So, I'll call it a wash.

Anyway, Sparrow makes a good point about this being more Mantiou's specialty, which makes it a little easier to have the whole team reject my plan. Still, I don't think that's what Bombshell meant. In fact, I'm not sure anyone on the team really trusts me that much. Maybe Tundra, but she trusts everyone. Either way, I'm not going to run off by myself, so I eventually shrug and curtly respond, "Yeah, ok. Makes sense. Let's go."

I'm keeping an eye on my remote, though. They may not think it's impressive, but let's see them put together a device that can detect even faint traces of magic, just to see if they could.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

While trailing at the back, I think over how it's been going, and the general idea is "Yeah, that could have gone better."

I mean, if people had just generally agreed with Sparrow, then fair. Sparrow made a good point, and she's the team leader. But, no, the team just doesn't trust me. And that's pretty bullshit! All American's still bitter about the election, ok, fine, whatever. She'll pout for a while, but she'll get over it. But everyone else was probably thinking it too! Even Manitou! Especially Manitou!

What can I do...

*beep*

Hm, we're probably going to have a base soon, right? Maybe I could set up something cool there. Like a big computer to do research with...

No, that would just make me tech support.

Maybe hang out with them outside the team? But if they don't respect me to start, why would they want to hang out with me?

No, I got it! I'm gonna go do some solo things. Stopping bad guys by myself, that sort of thing. Serious bad guys, too! Gonna show them that I'm just as good as the rest of them.

*tsch* Didn't expect to have to prove myself to my own team, but there you go. If that's what it takes to get respect, I'm gonna do it.

*beepbeep*

Huh, that's odd. The cave doesn't echo. Otherwise, the beeping would be making a lot more noise, but the walls are just absorbing the soun-

Wait, beeping?

*beepbeepbeep*

"Uh... guys?" I glance down at the remote to see the last dot much closer than it was before. "I think we're gonna have company soon."

I flick the remote off and stow it, turning around to see what's coming up behind us. I'm already picturing some sort of necromantic baddie. Like... a fossilized T-Rex!

Man, that'd be cool, right?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

My eyes are scanning the darkness for any signs of movement, and when both of them burst out of the darkness, I'm ready, yelling, "Manitou, I got your back!" Sparrow can probably deal with the fish man... thing just fine, but that T-Rex is huge! And, ok, fossilized T-Rex? That's gonna make for an awesome story.

Maybe even an album cover!

While the T-Rex is lumbering forward, I take a quick look up and figure that the cave's not too unstable for this and sling my guitar from over my shoulder. I give it a few experimental strums to make sure I'm not going to bury all of us, then I let loose a sonic blast that cause stalactites to rain down on the Fossilized T-Rex, forcing it towards the ground (and Manitou). Still playing, I yell, "All yours!"

<Capfalcon> Unleash stalactites
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 12+1 = 13
<Capfalcon> ho ho ho
<Capfalcon> Potential is for chumps.

Reshaping environment to make T-Rex vulnerable.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Yes, this is so badass! Even the lame banter between Sparrow and All American can't ruin this for me.

When Bombshell leaps clear after whaling on the dino, I follow up on her with a few chords to charge up my guitar's sonic blast before running up to slam my guitar in the dino's face!

<Capfalcon_work> dogpile on the dino
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 6 = 6

Ooof. Well, potentially getting potential.

If someone feeds me a point of teamwork, I'll create an opportunity as part of my direct engagement

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Thankfully, I manage to prop the T-Rex's jaws open with my guitar, so I don't get torn apart. However, I can't avoid getting tossed end over end through the air, and I yell as I go flying through an arc through the air.

"FUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuucccccCCCCCCCKKK."

*THUMP*

I land, knocking the wind out of me as I slide along the slick ground. Then, I try to jump up to get back into the fight, but I have to double over wheezing. Leaning on my guitar, I half yell, half choke, "I'm coming! Just... give me a second." I bend over panting, trying to regain my breath. While I'm taking a breath, I look up at the boneado, looking for a core or something else that might make it vulnerable.

<Capfalcon> Take a powerful blow
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 8 = 8
Give ground to the Bonenado

<Capfalcon> Assess the situation
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 2+2 = 4
<Capfalcon> womp

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to hear everyone fawning over All American. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure whatever she did was cool and all, but what's a guy gotta do to get noticed around here?

As if to answer my question, Bombshell storms over and... apologizes? Sounding skeptical, I say, "For what? You ain't my babysitter or anything." I finally find my feet and stand all the way up. Shrugging, I add, "I got cocky, and I got sent on a trip. It happens. Something to learn for next time"

Ok, yeah, I'm a little annoyed that she ran off to catch All American while I was still trying to pick myself up from getting tossed, but how pathetic would it be to say that out loud? And we won. No point in bitching about it now.

Pushing that thought aside, I grin, continuing, "And come on. That was badass. We fought Sue! Or at least someone in her family tree! And we were awesome! I set 'em up perfect for you, and you went in and smashed it to bits. You're really awesome..." My grin fades as I actually get a good look at Bombshell. Yikes. I quickly amend my statement, "And pissed. Awesome and pissed about something, huh?" I glance back at All American and Sparrow. Since she came storming over here, I figure it has something to do with them. I snort and then say, "Well, I'm in the doghouse with them too, so you're in good company. All American's pissed with me because I didn't vote for her, and Fearless Leader thinks I'm a screw up." Nothing like some good ol' fashioned venting to feel better about things!

<Capfalcon_work> comfort bombshell
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 9+1 = 10


Now, I'll admit that I might be taking that whole tracker situation from earlier a little personally (and exaggerating even that to make Bombshell feel better), but I know All American is still mad at me. She's not the leader, and now Sparrow has a win under the belt to point to. Outside of actually losing, the fight couldn't have gone worse from her perspective. Of course, short of active sabotage, I'm not really sure what I could have done to make her happier about the outcome.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2017 around 12:32

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

...Holy poo poo, that went way better than I expected.

Of course, I give her the sympathetic ear she's looking for, and I even keep cool when she basically says she's crushing on All American. drat, I'm happy I'm not in Sparrow's shoes right now. That could get messy.

But then she starts talking about music, and yes, this is great. I'm already looking forward to getting done with digging around caves and junk, and hanging out with Bombshell afterwards just makes it all the better. I nod, saying, "Totally. Don't get me wrong, you totally kick rear end, but you're pretty cool, too. Can't wait to actually play music for someone with some taste." I lean in, whispering, "No offense, but I think All American unironically likes stadium country. I mean, I get that tastes differ and all, but come on." I grin at that, letting her know I'm just messing around. "Anyway, I'm gonna take a look around while you guys have your chat. With any luck we won't have to trudge around down here any more. And... uh... good luck with that other thing you're gonna talk about."

I go over to join Manitou, saying, "So, you found something over here? What do you think it is? Another path, or is it actually here?" I tune my detector a little more, trying to clean up the reading as I talk.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Working with Manitou, I make sure that we're going the right way, while she's making sure I'm not chasing any ghosts.

...Well, chasing any false signals. Who knows? We might be tracking ghosts.

Once we get deeper, the lights strung up along the tunnel abruptly stop. Grumbling, I whip together a quick mini lantern from some half finished gadgets I was carrying around. Yeah, boring, I know, but breaking your neck in a tunnel like this would be a pretty ignoble way to go as a hero.

While we're walking along in the tunnel, I take a moment to pull back a little to get in a word with All American, "Look, I know you're still pissed with me for my vote, but could we just skip to the part where we agree to bury the hatchet? I don't want to spend all our time on the team sniping at each other, ok?"

Once we finally find what we're looking for, I turn off the shrieking detectors I'm holding and give the orb the stink eye as Bombshell describes it. Finally, I just shrug and say, "Seems like serious trouble. I'd smash it, personally. That way no one else could use it."

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Apr 13, 2017 around 18:55

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

During the tunnel trek
Seriously? I let out a disgusted snort and say, "Apologize for what? Making a decision you didn't like? Yeah, I didn't vote for you, because I thought Sparrow would do a better job. She's got more experience and more training than us. But that doesn't mean you did a bad job. You did just fine."

I look away and add, "Busting my chops all the time over stuff that wasn't your business didn't help, though." Unless she stops me, I'm going to go walk off back towards the front with Manitou to make sure we're still going the right way.

Hey, I tried, ok?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

During the tunnel trek
So, this is happenings. I raise my voice, saying, "Fine! I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, ok?"

Now, I'm getting up on her face, yelling back, "And I'm sorry that I didn't fawn over you like everyone else did after the fight. I was too busy being thrown across the room by a skeleton T-Rex. Feeling ok now, thanks for asking. But i guess not all of us can be as beloved as you. But dont worry! I'll still be around to hotwire a car if you need to chase some robbers down, and I'll even leave the radio off so you can look a gift horse right in the mouth by lecturing me about how I did an awful thing and that I'm basically a criminal!"

got a 12 provoke.
Acknowledge you haven't treated showstopper the best either and gain a team, or don't and take a condition. ...i think. I don't have the book in front of me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Suddenly, I remember that All American and I have an audience for our yelling match. I fold my arms and look away, more than a little embarassed. To break the sudden silence, I say, "Righ. Um, later then. Anyway, I think you should smash it, but Tundra thinks that it might be dangerous and wants to remove it to study it. What do you think Manitou? You're the other person who knows anything about magic."

poo poo, this was so lame. This is specifically the kind of pathetic bullshit I want to avoid dragging out.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Ok, that was wild. Manitou just ATE it. I had no idea she could even do that! ...And it really didn't agree with her.

Or All American Girl, for that matter.

I cover my mouth to stifle a giggle, because come on, watching her get slimed out of no where is just funny! But I don't want to make things even shittier with All American... Still, that gives me an idea to try and make things better. Because, yeah, I'm still mad. Way too mad to do anything with it now, but I know that I'll chill out later. I really did mean I wanted to stop fighting before. So, when no one is looking, I scrape a sample of the goop from the floor.

__________________________________________________________________

So, when I get back, I toss my satchel of equipment on the workbench and gently place the sample in a tube rack. My room is down in the basement by the garage, and I've got my clothes mostly in a duffel bag. I never really got around to seriously unpacking, so I just left all the unimportant stuff (like clothes and such) in the bag. Important stuff, like my music, various projects I'm working on, or a bunch of half-filled sheet music is scattered on various surfaces around the room.

Speaking of music, I gesture to the sound system in the corner and the music starts pumping out of the speakers. I turn it up to half and then start thinking. I figure Bombshell probably is probably taking care of business with All American and/or Sparrow first, like she said. That's assuming she still wants to hang out with me at all after that pathetic pity party I just put on. All American's probably freaking and, well, we're still fighting. And I don't blame her about freaking. I know I'd be freaking out a bit if I started sprouting leaves. Tundra and Manitou are probably doing something about the magic orb. Which... leaves me by myself. Well, maybe Sparrow's free, I guess, but she's probably with All American. And I'm not sure what I'd do with her, anyway.

Still, I'm used to being on my own. I mean, Bombshell was pretty cool about talking about how the fight went, but everyone else? Probably thought things would have gone just fine without me. Whatever. I know I did a lot.

But, after taking a breather while listening to my music, I start eyeing the sample. Sure, it's probably magic, but my detector did... pretty fine figuring magic out. So, I should be able to figure out what it'll take to get All American back to normal. Cranking the volume up to max, I lower my head to the table level, pull out a few pieces of jury rigged testing equipment, and say, "Ok. Let's see what your deal is."

<Capfalcon_work> Showstopper unleashing the powers of SCIENCE!
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 7+1 = 8
Marking Insecure, since he REALLY wants this to work out.

Also, I'm fine with a triple yes on Tundra's questions. She was a little clumsy, but otherwise she did a good job.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I nod when I get the results back. Knew it wasn't going to be simple. Magic bullshit never is. Still, I know she's freaking about her hair. She really cares about the whole secret identity thing. And making it LOOK normal is a lot easier.

Thing is... she's probably not going to come down here, what with the whole screaming match we just had. But wait. She likes Bombshell, and they're probably going to hang out soon. So I can just give it to Bombshell! Perfect!

'"IM to Bombshell" posted:

Hey. Know youre probably going to hang out with All American. Got something something she probably wants. I'd give it to her, but... you know... we're still fighting.

I fiddle with my tools a little (my toolbench is the only part of the room that is immaculate) and then decide to send another message.

IM to Manitou, Tundra posted:

When you figure out what you're doing with the orb, let me know. Got some tests I wanna run. You sure you ok, Manitou.

Should make sure they're not sending it to the Phantom Zone or something.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I message back:

IM to Tundra posted:

Those are the fuckers that Manitou and I looked into. Guess I'm gonna be paying them another visit.

Anyway, just working on some stuff in my room, but you can stop by whenever. Down in the garage, remember?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

By the time they get here, I've got the music cranked up to seven. Yes, cranked up. I've got a killer sound system. I'm actually a little worried to dial it up to 10, since by my calculations, it might seriously damage the foundations.

I've got the doorbell to flash a light over the door in addition to ringing. No way I'd hear it normally. Anyway, I dial it back to a one and go over to the door, saying, "Hey, come on in. Sit anywhere you like." I gesture to the mounds of clothes or half finished projects around the room that probably conceal furniture. Then, I start rapidly talking over the music, "So, I've been doing some tests. I've got a rough idea on what I need to do to fix All American's hair. I know we're fighting, but that's... ugh. Anyway. Gonna have to take a look at that orb later. And her hair." I frown at that, realizing that's probably going to be a little tougher, what with us still fighting. I wave it off as a problem for later, "Oh, and you probably saw earlier, but I'm going to take a look at Cheiron to get some more information about... um... you, Manitou. You ok wi-"

I finally look up and stop short when I notice Manitou's appearance, "So, you, uh, sure you're ok, Manitou? You're looking... different."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I nod slowly, saying, "Uh... huh." She doesn't wanna talk about it; we don't have to talk about it. When they talk about the orb, I say, "Great! Were you going to leave it here? I'd make sure to keep an eye on it."

While I'm looking at Manitou's new appearance, I slap my head when the door rings again. "Oh, right. I forgot I invited Bombshell over to hang out. Back before I started looking into All American's new doo, anyway. You guys are welcome to stay and listen to some music, too."

I get the door and usher her in with the others. After giving her a moment to get settled, I say, "I was just telling them about what I think needs to happen to fix All American's hair. It's, you know, gonna be a lot of work, but it's coming along. Oh, and I made this too." I produce the hairband, handing it to Bombshell, saying, "It's holographic. She puts it on, and her brambles are gonna look like hair again. ...Well, they're gonna look like GREEN hair, but she can keep that secret identity of hers without people asking why she's growing a bush out of her head."

I shrug and add, "Figure you'd want to deliver the good news, since you're... actually getting along with her." I almost say, "Since you're crushing on her" but think better of it. She probably doesn't want to make a big deal out of that in front of the others.

I continue, "Anyway, all that's for later. What'd you bring?" I lean to the side to try and get a peek at what albums she's brought. I finally turn off the music so we can switch out records and point out the record player to her.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I visibly preen at the praise. The fact it's from Bombshell, AKA the coolest person on the team, makes it even better. I say, acting modest for a moment "Oh, it wasn't much. Just a hard light emitter with..." I trail off before grinning and saying much less modestly, "Aw, who am I kidding? I AM pretty great."

As Tundra's and Manitou's blank looks say more than enough, I say, "Oh, man. You two are really missing out. Don't worry. We'll get you caught up on everything you need to know." I look over to Bombshell and say, "Hit it!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Yeah, I guess I should have known this wasn't going to be Tundra's bag. She strikes me as more of a folksong and classical kind of girl. But she gets gets credit in my book for giving it a shot. When I feel the communicator vibrating, I crank the music down and look down to see the message.

I let out a curious "Huh..." before saying, "Well, let's go see what's up." I add to Tundra, "Also, let me know where that orb's gonna end up. I still wanna run those tests I mentioned earlier.

Time to see what's going on. I know I didn't make top of the line communicators or anything, but even considering I've been fishing my parts out of the dump, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be trivial to piggyback on them.

Also... I don't really know what to expect from All American. I'll try and not start anything, but... I'm not gonna just sit there and take it if she starts fighting, either. So, I think the best thing is just to avoid talking to her a while.

At least until Bombshell gets a chance to talk to her, anyway. Still feels pretty good that, out of everyone on the team, I know I've got her in my corner.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I finally find my way in and end up leaning against the wall in the back. When what is obviously Stetson's silhouette A MYSTERIOUS INDIVIDUAL comes on with the barest of voice masking, I let out a disgusted sigh. This is just... sad. If he wanted to be secretive about it, fine, whatever, but he's doing such a lovely job that it's insulting. And it's not like he can't, since he had to have someone at least halfway decent in order to piggyback off my coms.

I crane my neck around Manitou to get a better view of the picture and then say, "Oh come on! Why's that rear end in a top hat out already?" when I see who's with them.



Tag is... well... villain is a little strong, but he's not a hero or anything. He's really a glorified vandal, I guess. And, personally, I don't reeeeeeeeally care all that much about vandalism, especially when it's not really hurting anyone. Way more important things to deal with, you know? But Tag's got it into his head that I'm a posuer since I've been working "for the man, man." Now, I'm not gonna put up with that. I've got my rep to worry about, you know? Anyway, he's mostly harmless, since he can usually just make his graffiti slightly animated.

From the looks of it now, though, it's a lot more... uh... lively than normal (is that grafiti actually pulling itself off the wall?), but he's still just a chump who had delusions of grandeur.

Unlike myself, of course.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: 0+1 | Savior: -2 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Alright! Bombshell's got the right idea, in so far as knocking down the small time crooks so we at least have the advantage of numbers against the big names. But, I let Bombshell have the stage first while I'm sizing things up.

<Capfalcon_work> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Capfalcon_work: 12 (2d6+2=6, 4)

Assessing the situation:
What here is useful or valuable to me?
Who here is most vulnerable to me? (Tricky said it was my rival)
How could we best end this quickly?


A quick glance around confirms that Tag's way too focused on his latest "masterpiece" to worry about me. I dash past Bombshell, giving her a short "Right behind you" and swing my guitar like a baseball bat, catching him right in the stomach. As he's staggering back, I lean forward with a Cheshire grin as I say, "You wouldn't be working on a new project without running it by you biggest fan, would you?" I let out a snort at the idea of me actually being a fan of his, and then say, "I'm hurt! ...Well, maybe not as much as you, but still..."

<Capfalcon_work> .roll 2d6+1 pound the rival (with+1 forward from assess)
<Platonibot> Capfalcon_work: pound the rival: 6 (2d6+1=1, 4)
<Capfalcon_work> ehhhhhhhh, I'm gonna be selfish, for sure. Gotta clear my conditions!

Trade blows and resist or avoid their blows.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Savior: -2 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 2+1/5 | Conditions:

"Sell out? Yeah, you're a real hard dude just throwing down some sprays. Better lock the windows and doors. Dork."

Still, it's not like Tag's really dangerous, and as much poo poo as I was giving him, that paint thing is starting to look bad. My eyes dart around as I look for something that could mess with their tag. I think about throwing some more paint on it to mar it, but... I dunno. Seems like it just might be feeding it.

But, when I see the hardware store, I know EXACTLY what I need. I dash over and bash in a window. Yeah, yeah, I know, not exactly heroic, but everything's locked up. And a little collateral damage is just what happens when superbrawls happen, right?

I reach in through the window and pull out a big can of turpentine. Then, I throw it in the air and let lose a chord that'll make the can explode, raining it down on their mural!

Showstopper - Today at 3:40 PM
/r 2d6+2
SidekickBOT - Today at 3:40 PM
@Showstopper: 2d6+2 = (1+3)+2 = 6
Showstopper - Today at 3:40 PM
well hell
Showstopper just can't catch a break
All American Girl - Today at 3:41 PM
showstopper more like showstopped???

Failed an unleash, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Savior: -2 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 3+2/5 | Conditions:

"Ah, crap!"

Startled, I drop the turpentine and start frantically rubbing at my face. Next thing I know, I feel like I get punched a few times. Already off balance, I tumble into someone. And I'm stuck to them. At least I finally managed to get enough of the paint out of my face to see straight. All American, of course. poo poo, she's gonna blame me for this too, I bet. I'm all ready to yell back at her to watch where she's shooting when she just asks me to give her hand.

Got a 6 on powerful blow

Progress!

I 'whisper' back, "Just tell me which pocket it's in, and I can reach it."

I mean, I can't, of course. My hands are just as stuck as hers. But I've got a great idea! It's still a prototype, but my telescoping third arm should be able to get it. The trick is going to be using it with one hand...

Got a 3 on unleashing the robo-claw

Thinking about my advance

  • Locked thread