Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«61 »
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hexwren posted:

I understood none of that one-sentence summary, apart from things like "November 2016" and "long and prosperous future."

Started in November 2016, Unitystation has attempted to make sure that the video game Space Station 13 has a long and prosperous future outside of its original game engine "Byond" by cloning the source code to the Unity game engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

hexwren posted:

I understood none of that one-sentence summary, apart from things like "November 2016" and "long and prosperous future."

Space Station 13 is an old game people loved for the variety of chicanery you could get up to in it (like building bombs, making drugs, and accidentally spilling lava everywhere), and it was originally coded in a really dumb engine that forced playing in some weird app called Byond that required a very unintuitive button system to work among other things. This is somebody's effort to port the game to a slightly less dumb engine that at the very least lets people play the game standalone, although if 2017-18 hadn't happened yet I'd also hope that maybe it wouldn't take something like five buttons to give someone an item any more either. But of course it did so this is probably a direct port complete with original dumb confusing garbage interface.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.

gently caress you too, Steam.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Don't forget the sequel

Or is that the sequel?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rollersnake posted:

Bear in mind it's sold by Back to Basics Gaming, whose general MO is to warm over some pixel graphics with the slightest of effort, attach it to a meme (like with their pugs series), and then sell it for basically nothing, presumably to make sales off of the secondary card / item market.

It's possible that their monkeys on typewriters method of game development has worked out at some point, but generally they're in the business of publishing rubbish with just enough of a hook that somebody will buy it.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Space Station 13 is an old game people loved for the variety of chicanery you could get up to in it (like building bombs, making drugs, and accidentally spilling lava everywhere), and it was originally coded in a really dumb engine that forced playing in some weird app called Byond that required a very unintuitive button system to work among other things. This is somebody's effort to port the game to a slightly less dumb engine that at the very least lets people play the game standalone, although if 2017-18 hadn't happened yet I'd also hope that maybe it wouldn't take something like five buttons to give someone an item any more either. But of course it did so this is probably a direct port complete with original dumb confusing garbage interface.
Can you still eat parts of the interface (both yours and other players') in this conversion? Because it's a failure if not.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I got that as a joke present from my cousin and its just, bland. Like it's bad but not in an entertaining way, and it's not even offensive in game beyond the general level of annoyance i get at seeing it exist.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

Can you still eat parts of the interface (both yours and other players') in this conversion? Because it's a failure if not.

Holy god I never played the original long enough to see or hear of that one. A shame I missed out on that, but I fear suffering from terminal disappointment if I buy the new conversion just for that and can't do it. How the hell did that even work/Is there a video of it anywhere?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's an ss13 thread here in Games that's full of neat stories, phone posting or I'd link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Brother, why must you be the one with the superior jeans?

Here’s the SS13 thread, a black hole of insanity that will never let you go once you’re gripped: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3815807

«61 »