Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Robert Red Rocket posted:

yeah i dont know about you guys but steam sells games for like 1/4th the price that Epic sells to poorer countries. Basically Epic charges hosed up european pricing to everyone outside of the US. Steam has actually been really good in bringing gaming to everyone and it‘s sad to see developers going to a service that doesnt seem to respect consumers (especially non americans) at all. The only more consumer friendly competitor I can think of is GOG and even they struggle to give good value to poorer gamers.

one can only hope epic picks up its game but this doesnt seem likely lol.

GOG's apparently struggling in general, to the point that they might be in real trouble if they get pulled in deeper into the Star Control: Origins lawsuit.

Honestly, they really deserve it, considering pretty much the entire reason that lawsuit happened as it did is because they backstabbed the original Star Control devs repeatedly and got them sued as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Danakir posted:

Wait, what's GOG got to do with that lawsuit? I feel like I missed something big since the last time I checked on that particular shitshow.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think you're confusing CD Projekt with Stardock. Stardock are the ones that are getting sued by the Star Control people. CD Projekt owns GOG and also own CD Projekt Red who make the Witcher series and are working on Cyberpunk 2077. As far as I know, CD Projekt and Stardock have no professional affiliation.

The convergence point between the two was the original Star Control games. Atari was selling them on GOG, and when the original SC Devs (From here on P&F) contacted them about it, explaining that Atari doesn't have the rights to do so, Atari agreed and wrote a contract with GOG giving P&F a cut in exchange for letting GOG sell the games in Atari's name. Eventually, Atari went bankrupt, Stardock purchased the rights to SC3 and the trademark to Star Control. GOG refused to tell P&F when the Atari contract ended, and Stardock managed to convince them that they actually had all the rights to Star Control. My memory of the mess gets a little fuzzy here, but IIRC the timeline went: P&F DMCA's the games off GOG because Stardock had GOG put them up in a name designed to snatch the Ur-Quan Masters trademark that P&F owned, and Stardock turned around and told P&F that if Star Control, that they owned the trademark to, was put back up that they would sue. And then Stardock had GOG put back up the games, and Stardock sued P&F over it. P&F appealed to GOG since it wasn't P&F's fault the games went back up, and GOG was suppose to back up P&F over this by standard GOG contract, but GOG came down on Stardock's side and let P&F eat the blame, which kicked off P&F being sued for this and other Stardock nonsense.

This is why GOG is in the lawsuit and desperately trying to get out, while P&F is suing them for the breaching of the contract that led to the whole affair, and to at least own up to their mis-deeds (which would open them up to Stardock suing GOG, so GOG is in a bad place).

Steam's also being sued, but as far as I know largely just for distributing SC:O's very infringing material.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 10, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Man I didn't know GOG was involved other than as a distributor like Steam - the last time I read about any of this was when a judge had basically handed Stardock their rear end and explained that the court was under no obligation to fix the problem they had created for themselves.

It seems unlikely that it's going to end up taking down the whole store though. The potential damages they'd be liable for probably aren't immense. It is a bit confusing as to why they would have taken Stardock's side in the dispute though since at the very least I'd think the safest legal position would be to just take all the games down and wait until the two main parties had worked it out between themselves.

I don't think the lawsuit would be trouble otherwise, but from what I've been hearing, there's a lot of rumors rumblings that GOG's financial situation is surprisingly bad, and that an expensive lawsuit might be a straw that breaks the camel's back.

I'm not really sure why they decided to go along with Stardock's schemes at all, though. I can't imagine Stardock was offering them anything nearly worth the legal liability. Their motives have been a complete mystery in all of this, unless they've just been super incompetent and hosed everything up and there was no motive.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Between Valve riding the ragged edge of disaster and CD Projekt finding new and exciting ways to endanger their fiscal solvency I'm starting to worry a little about the future of PC gaming.

I'm not sure Valve is really in much danger, at least, so there is that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Somfin posted:

Ismail being the voice of indie game dev is so loving rad

If only he could have finished Nuclear Throne instead of abandoning it without telling anyone and paying one dude to put out the last (bugfix) patch which took him like a year to do and then hosed off into the night.

I'd probably be less harsh if Ismail hadn't spent a year insisting that the Vita version of the patch was holding back all the other versions from being published.

I'm still not sure the consoles ever got that patch either.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 21, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Glagha posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Nuclear Throne's final patch took like a year and was done by the Nuclear Throne Together guy because Vlambeer abandoned the game. They kept insisting the delay was due to Vita certification and then when the patch was finally ready suddenly announced it was the final patch and that was that despite the game being blatantly unfinished. It was a real shame as I like the game a lot but left a real bad taste in my mouth for the devs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Glagha posted:

I mean I understood the words you said but like, in what way is the game unfinished?

Oh sorry. The way you phrased it made it sound like I was real unclear.

Placeholder stuff's still in the game for a lot of things. Like the Oasis unlock is suppose to have some other boss instead of yet another Big Bandit but they never finished the boss. The character they were working on for release isn't finished (Cuz). The entire looping system in general was only in as a placeholder for a proper progression and ending and was gonna be like an optional challenge mode is more or less now the entire gameplay, and they just threw in (one of?) the final intended level as a secret in the loop.

A lot of story elements are in and meant to lead somewhere but just doesn't as a result. It's a real drat shame as a lot of it was real interesting.

The long story short for all of this is that Vlambeer burned themselves going too hard on updates and decided to just never update again outside of getting the Nuclear Throne Together guy to throw together one last update.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the nucas posted:

i was really surprised to turn on steam and see rage 2 listed for pre-order, and apparently beth has announced all their other titles going that way as well? i wonder if valve blew them behind the scenes or something.

they probably have the clout/brand recognition to go all in on their bethesda launcher. losing them along with all of EA's games, maybe all of Ubi's future games (based on how happy they were with their uplay pre-order sales figures for div 2), whatever other random ace poo poo epic store is going to steal with their chinese money, would have conceivably turned steam into an oddball platform for AA releases and toilet bowl indie poo poo.

It'd take a lot more than all of that to do such a thing to Steam, lol.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
There was that cyberpunk dystopia where feminists won so now all men are dead, killed by the femnazis and also they live in ever-present fear of a man sneaking in as a trans person so all trans people are banned too and it's very clearly a game that just hates all feminists and is just trying to dress it up a little.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

chairface posted:

If that's not called TERFWars, opportunity missed.

It was not! It had some stupid name I have no idea the meaning of. It did have a zone called TERF Town where all the TERFs lived.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

John Lee posted:

oh my god

So, a good while back, I kept seeing ads for some dumb-rear end looking show called PUNCH LINE. Description was something like "If he sees panties, the world ends!?" Naturally, I rolled my eyes and ignored it for like a year... but then I was reading about an anime/weeb poo poo author I especially like, Kotaro Uchikoshi, and apparently he wrote this show? It was instantly back on my radar. Long story short, I watched it and liked it a good bit, and the panties thing was pretty much misdirection. Not my favorite thing by the author, but it's fine, y'know?

It looks like this guy was deceived in the other direction, playing the Punch Line game and thinking that it was actually about anime panties, instead of weird time travel and body dysmorphia and poo poo.

Oh hey I was about to post this very post. Except I hate most things the writer writes but this was actually a super-legit show and easily my favorite thing by him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

John Lee posted:

Not even Ever17!?

:colbert: You and I are enemies now.

Dear enemy, I actually think Ever17 is real bad. That twist was the most convoluted and nonsensical one in history and did not justify me going through the rest of the boring everything!

I relatedly think 999 is bad for similar reasons.

We can at least agree that Punchline was way better than it had any right to be.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Casull posted:

The point is that this is an Uchikoshi's Wild Ride anime. Is it worth adding to my Steam wishlist in spite of the skeeviness?

I have no idea about how the game plays, but if it is just a straight adaptation of the anime? Then yeah. The skeeviness is pretty much a misdirect.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

John Lee posted:

It's a VN that covers more than the anime, like the events of the anime are about 30% of the content of the VN, with the rest being taken up by alternate paths and suchlike.

I guess it's more of an advertising misdirect? Like, it's presented as a pervy thing. I have the box for the game, and it's got all the female characters in revealing poses but with DANGER tape covering their crotches, etc. But the actual characters and events aren't pervy, and after a couple episodes even if the main character looks at panties, they just don't show them onscreen or anything.

If you're wondering WHY the planet gets destroyed if the main character sees a pair of women's panties... well, that's one of the central mysteries of the show. It's essentially a genre that the author loves, which could be described as: weird supernatural (or seemingly-supernatural events) are happening, but things are very definitely Not What They Seem in a fundamental way.

Like, I'm not going to recommend it as something that unreservedly works, and it's not for everyone, but I liked it.

This sums it up pretty well, yeah.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is sounding a lot like that manga about the guy who can't orgasm or it'll cause the end of the world because he has Satan trapped in his balls.

The actual reason is.... well, okay, maybe not QUITE as goofy as that but it's entirely silly and goofy instead of anything else.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Weird that the first step they took in making a good anime is to present it as something it's not, seemingly in a effort to drive away as many non-pervy potential viewers as possible.

Yeah it drove me away at first too, but I'm pretty sure the amount of pervy potential viewers far outweighs the non-pervy potential viewers.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I always thought the bit in Bakuman (fictional manga about the manga/anime industry) where the lady with the struggling weekly manga was told by her editor to start including more panty shots in the comic to get people to read it was interesting. They brought in a panty shot expert who specialized in drawing panties to help with the art and give her advice (make them very detailed, frame them like the reader is seeing a glimpse of something they shouldn't be instead of showing them clearly head on.)

Bakuman made me really wish there was more in depth non fiction writing about the manga and anime industry in English, because there have to be an enormous amount of hosed up and interesting stories about the real thing.

I kind of got the impression that the Punchline guy got told something similar from the start and all it did was make him come up with the goofy pun title and then he got distracted and forgot the stupid fake fanservice after the first episode.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Somfin posted:

I love both the ultra-optimistic development timeline and the idea that YIIK got more than one remaster because it was obviously just so loving good

And that the dev called the remaster the equivalent of "[title]_final_(2)"

Honestly, YIIK: The Final Remaster is a better title for it than what it got.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

I’ve read some articles that talked to insiders, and Origin was a mess long before EA. Garriott had run things into the ground pretty soundly and they’d have gone under without the buyout. EA tried to get things on track, but it just wasn’t ever going to be possible to turn things around.

Origin was basically the one time that EA was the good guys in a situation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Looking at older patch notes, previous changes included a new story mode with reduced monologues and automatic text-skipping, plus tweaking combat mechanics and adding challenge to enemies - so they were in some way aware of the biggest criticisms and attempted to respond to them, but I think the damage was already done.

So now they're doubling down on all the worst aspects, because the only thing left is treating this as a passion project and catering to the fans.

They didn't make the combat better at all, since the core fundamentals were always tedious and bad. Making enemies more challenging just makes it worse until it is fun to play YIIK's combat at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I watched a little bit of the goon LP dunking on that game and yeah, the combat mechanics looked unbelievably bad.

I don't mean that to be dramatic. It sincerely beggars belief that someone would think that was a good idea. I guess I just can't imagine what the view is like from that far up my own rear end.

No, there's nothing dramatic about that at all. It's very impressive that Ikenfell basically made the exact same combat style (times minigamesfor everything) as YIIK but unlike YIIK is actually a lot of fun to play.

It turns out having the combat minigames last only a second or two really helps a lot.