Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Poniard posted:

There's a fun image out there of all those anime ship girls and whatever war crimes they were part of in world war 2 listed next to them.

Like that makes them less attractive to the target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Well that makes the game even more confusing to me - it's a power fantasy with no power but a lot of misogynistic overtones instead? Odd mix.

You just described meninism/redpill.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

It was a meme on D&D, 'til the emote killed it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Aaaand we've come full circle. But this isn't debate and discussion, so, anyone got some terrible games?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, it should be the other way around, Bayonetta was inspired by DMC!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What does the non-H version replace the horrific sexual abuse and body horror with, you might ask?

VAMPIRES. I swear on the goddamn bible, it makes her a vampire instead of a sexual abuse victim. :psyboom:

I mean, vampires were sexual abuse metaphors since forever, so it's not really a new use of vampires. On the other hand, it sounds like it's done extremely poorly, and somehow backwards?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Wait, the angry video game nerd has only had an account for a few months? That's surprising.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Especially with the teaser picture, it looked like a completely different game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Loutre posted:

Edit: wrong thread

I mean, Urban Yeti does absolutely belong in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly I’m surprised the hate They get as a genre. Like there are individual ones that do really bad things but people treat the concept of a power fantasy as some dirty thing when like most media is a power fantasy of some variety.

Hell action movies are usually the exact same power fantasy at their cores.

"Slavery is good" as a popular trope is pretty much the main difference in complaint between it and most power fantasies, but that's a heck of a first step.

e: by no means is it a necessary part of the genre, but it's common enough to warrant notice.