Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I am absolutely the last person who is gonna throw shade on someone for liking a game or a character or anything that relates back to sex in either a minor, major, or otherwise unmentioned way.

It's just that remember that the context of this whole conversation was "this one VN got removed from steam for sexualization of minors, yet steam didn't do anything about another VN with similar content that has been on sale for years now" so even arguing that it's a small part doesn't excuse it from being eligible for removal for the same reason, imo.

e: I know you weren't trying to argue that it being a small part of the game gives it a free pass. I'm speaking generally here now about how Steam has poor rule enforcement due to their general refusal to hire some people to curate their store.

double edit: actually I would definitely throw shade if someone was all "the sexual content in kindred spirits is good" because of minors but that's just because I've got a grievance about that kind of thing and how casually it feels like people treat sexualization of fictional minors.

Out of curiosity do you have this problem with R rated or even PG13 rated highschool romantic comedies where the characters gently caress? I'd say KS floats somewhere between those two ratings in terms of explicitness and it's probably a lot less titillating about it than a lot of the latter ones I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't keep up on highschool rom com critical theory so I can't tell you which ones have been called out or not but I wanna say most of them? Like, I haven't watched any of these in years so my memory's hazy but a lot of the pg13 ones had them banging down, the r ones moreso and more explicitly. nick and norah's infinite playlist had the loud rear end orgasm with the uhhh, audio visualizer thing onscreen in the music studio at the end? for some reason that movie is the only one of those I clearly remember I guess I thought that scene was really clever when I was 15.
Anyway I think it's very normal for media about highschool to deal with sex when it's where most people have their formative sexual experiences. I've got my fair share of gripes with KS but I think it's really good how it portrays gay teens exploring their sexuality as totally normal and healthy and deals with societal homophobia without punishing the characters for having sex by murdering them with gaybasher lynchmobs or whatever. Personally I'd find media that pretended being gay in highschool was all handholding and blushing and maybe a chast peck on the cheek now and then if not extremely weird then at least totally unrelatable to my experience as a gay teen.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The Terrible Awful Gays Thread

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm glad you didn't read my post and just responded to "it's cool to want to gently caress teenage anime characters" instead lol. Minors played by minors never entered into the thought process for me because all teens in American movies are played by people in their 30s. Except K Stu in the first Twilight movie I guess.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

megane posted:

The title translates to "Barbarossa! ~Onwards? Red Army Girls' Brigade~"

I don't... know what to say about this.

Personally I'm happy for the tankies who want to make love to tanks

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Not gonna lie that gave me a good laugh

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Are the elves at least 1000 years old?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

I think they would inadvertently write something like Jerry Lee Lewis's Great Balls of Fire, which is a cute song about sex at first, but then learn it's all about Lewis wanting to bang his 13 year old niece.

This one cool French novel I read had a bit about Joyce that said Finnegans Wake was about his shame over his repressed attraction to his young daughters so maybe it's impossible to consume any media, whether it's the dead white guy literary canon or fate/stay night

e: It was Zone which mostly an atrocity history of Europe and the Serbo-Croatian war and not about child loving

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I dunno that spaceship one has all the important bits (spaceships, projectiles, lines for some UI purpose) picked out in a variety of bright colors. Having the important information in high contrast (whether color or value) over a dull background is just a basic way to make visual information easily readable. Ex if you look at CAVE games a lot of them have very detailed backgrounds but they're in fairly desaturated colors and go from like a 2-8 light to dark instead of a 0-10. I'm not saying that's the dull color I'd pick in the dev's shoes but I don't think it warrants comparison to the big wave of brown and grey criticism where most of the included games wouldn't have any of the colors the ships are in and also I think was as much a criticism of homogenous modern military/near future/ruined urban settings with no color in them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
gimme a rating out of 10

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
big lol that valve is removing it from the service but won't let them not charge money for it in the meantime

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Do they not have in-game microtransactions? I’m pretty sure Valve at least used to have a no-$0 policy.

Dystopia and Neo Tokyo are both on Steam for free, as are non HL mod games I forget the name of

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, if you're not into that stuff at all you're not going to review the game, you're going to play and review something you'll enjoy instead.

you underestimate goons

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
they should kill that blackmail rape vr game colonel was talking about

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
They could easily shock the world with Half Life 3 by having Gordon run at 100 MPH and replacing all the enemy bullet guns with slow moving fireball guns

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, was and am phoneposting. Short version is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

Vortigaunts.

Yeah, idk. Coordinated lying about platform oppression, apparently is the theory. It’d explain the odd selection of companies involved, and the million games not involved , but it’s still super weird as a tactic. Like I said, chan, salt, etc

Weird and arbitrary is kind of par for the course with censorship of sex stuff historically, and with everything valve has ever done

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The different anthro weapon of war franchises fight for supremacy in their own league but 2hu is eternal

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

well,

how good are the rpg mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Touhou is too easy to be interesting. It's passé.

I don't like the slow, super intricate pattern style of bullet hell but i could do with more bullshit easy shmups. doubt i could beat a 2hu these days