Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre

TL;DR version: Girlfriend and I do a podcast where we adapt old video games into something like a serialized radio drama. We're about to start an eleven-episode season and there are like 140 characters and I need some people to volunteer their voices.

What This Is Supposed to Be: My girlfriend and I work on a podcast in which we take retro video games (in this case, by "retro" we pretty much just mean "without voice acting") and, using the dialogue exactly as it was written and the music and sound effects directly from the game, we recreate it in a serialized drama podcast we release twice a month.

For the last year, we've been working on Final Fantasy IV. When we started the project, more than a year ago, we didn't know anything about podcasting, website development, sound editing, or anything else that would have been really helpful when we set out to do this. It's still a little rough, and the website is kind of a nightmare, but I think it's pretty good considering and we're just getting better. We've completed nine episodes now and have two or three more to go before that season is finished. And then we're going to move on to Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, a CRPG by Interplay from 1997. You might be more familiar with their graphically impressive step-sequels, Fallout 3 and 4.

We need actors! Have you ever wanted to perform voice acting for a video game? Well, now you kinda sorta can!

If you want an idea of what the goal of this is, you can check out our first season at thespoonybardpodcast.com. The first season is a bit rough, since it's just two of us, but you can get the idea. The primary reason for this thread is to start assigning roles. I hope to in one month have the first episode prepared; once the voice acting is all done, then all that's required of me is to do a lot of editing, which means half the job will be finished and then I can just release these episodes for the next ten weeks while we figure out what the next game is going to be (uh, for anyone interested in contributing your voice to THAT game, the next one will likely be Skies of Arcadia followed by the SNES game Shadowrun.

Some podcast stuff:
iTunes | Website | RSS

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

Edit: This thread has served its purpose and now is outdated and cumbersome. I've not only asked for help here on somethingawful, but also on a reddit thing and at No Mutants Allowed. It's tricky to negotiate three different avenues of assistance, especially since there is always going to be a percentage of the population that doesn't come through with what they've signed up for. Consequently, I have some roles promised to people that I don't think will ever come to fruition.

As of right now (late April, just before Episode 01 of the new season goes up) there are only about 300 more lines to voice. They're spread out over 10 episodes so it isn't a big deal. If you are interested in voicing some of these characters, I don't have private messaging but you can email me privately at calvinredburn@gmail.com or at thespoonybardpodcast@gmail.com where Girlfriend might answer instead. She's not a goon, but she's not dumb or anything. Please, feel free to sign up for any roles you'd like to do. Or if you want to sign up for future seasons.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Below is the cast list. It may be more helpful for you to view the Google Docs sheet, as it lists numbers and other things that are important (like what gender they are). This is just a checklist of actors.

EDIT: Condensed this to just roles available still. It's redundant to list all the others, maybe and was hard to read.

ROLES PROBABLY UP FOR GRABS:

Generally more important roles, main characters, significant characters:

GABRIEL
GARL
GUIDO
GUNTHER
IRWIN
JAKE
JERRY
JOHN
JUNKTOWN GUARD KALNOR
LEONE
LORENZO
BROTHERHOOD MICHAEL
MICHAEL
MILES
MITCH
MOORE
MUTANT ON RADIO
PHIL
RAZLO
RUTGER
SGT. D. ALLEN
SMITTY
THE GLOW LOG
TINE
TON
UNCLE SLAPPY
UNDERGROUND GHOUL LEADER
VANCE
VINNIE
WATER THIEF
WIGGUM
ZACK
ZAX 1.2
CATHEDRAL HEALER
CHILDREN OF THE CATHEDRAL THUG MALE 1

Incidentals, combat taunts, random folk, small roles:

FAR GO TRADERS CARAVAN DRIVER
FOLLOWER OF THE APOCALYPSE MALE 2
GIZMO'S GUARD 1
GUNRUNNER GUARD
INVADING MUTANT 4
JUNKTOWN PEASANT 1
NECROPOLIS AGGRESSIVE GHOUL 3
NECROPOLIS GHOUL 2
NECROPOLIS GHOUL GUARD
NECROPOLIS MUTANT 1
REGULATOR MALE 3
SENTRY ROBOT 2
SHADY SANDS CITIZEN 02
SKAG 2
SKUL 1
SKUL 2
SKULZ GUARD
SUPER MUTANT 1
SUPER MUTANT 2
SUPER MUTANT 3
SUPER MUTANT 4
SUPER MUTANT MALE 1
SUPER MUTANT MALE 2
THE HUB GUARDSMAN 2
THUG
THUG 2
JUNKTOWN SULLEN MAN 2

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 27, 2017

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i'll be vault citizen male 03

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Well, that's fine if you want to do one line. It's a pretty special line ("Hi, NataliaERROR") but if you want to do more, you can.

There isn't as much interest here as I was hoping there would be. Fortunately, there is some help coming through other sources. Nobody seems to want to voice significant characters like Richard Grey or Ian, people who have 20+ lines, because they think they're taken already. Well, they're not. Probably not. I'll update the list again after tomorrow, since we're recording a lot of it then.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I was born for the role

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

you would probably be better off posting this in a forum like creative convention, or linking to it in game's general discussion thread or maybe even the fallout 4 thread, or really just about anywhere else then relatively low traffic rapidly going deaf forum
good luck though

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm very interested in contributing to this and my roommate probably will be as well. My mic setup is a little scattered at the moment but once I get that straightened out I'll claim some parts. What kind of time frame are you working with for putting episodes together?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

One of the problems we've had in doing the first season is that it takes a surprisingly long time to edit things together, so even if all the lines are recorded, it still takes me hours to put together samples and music and whatever else. Because we didn't anticipate certain things taking so long, and we assumed two weeks between episodes is sufficient, my partner and I are constantly finishing on the day of release or just hours before, and this last week we had to delay it because she has some other real-world things to do (she's in a play as well as working a full time job.)

So rather than work episode to episode, I'd much rather have at least 80% of the voice work complete (and 100% of the first episode) before we start releasing them. I hope that within a month I can reach that point, so let's call it that? A month?

I appreciate your willingness to contribute! Please,. pick as many roles as you'd like. There shouldn't be this many roles available by this point, but too many people have promised a vague "I might want this role..." without actually owning it so it's mostly still all up for grabs. I'll definitely update the thread, though, when things become solidified.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a very good effort post. I only skimmed it for now.
I'll throw my hat in the ring as a dude with a deepish voice. I'm not picky about what I play.

I can do animal and monster noises as well if that's needed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

You're a boon, Inzombiac!

If you're leaving it up to me, I've scoured the list for characters that, at least I envision as having a "deep voice" and I've thrown together a few characters. Would you be willing to voice these?

KANE: Decker's right hand man. Guards the entrance to Decker's basement. He has 10 lines.
LARRY: One of Harry's brothers at the Watershed in Necropolis. He's a mutant. He only has one line: " If you disturb the boss, he's gonna hit you."
DOGMEAT: Dogmeat has one line of dialogue that appears when you first encounter him: Woof! How would you like to be Dogmeat?
REGULATOR MALE 2: Just one line.
BROTHEROOD PALADIN GUARD MALE 1: This is the dude hanging outside the Lost Hills bunker along with Bull from Night Court. He has seven lines.

So that's about twenty lines, spread out across the entire wasteland. Is this acceptable?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sounds good to me.
A small part of me wants to do Dogmeat in a deadpan human voice but I don't think comedy is the #1 goal here, haha.

Would you like several takes for each line?

The earliest I could get some samples would be Saturday. I'm going to listen to a few episodes of season one first.

Edit: I wish I knew FO1 better. I know 2 inside and out but only played 1 once.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 9, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hm. If you'd like, you could record a deadpan one and another one. We probably wouldn't use the deadpan one, but it might turn out to work in the scene. It's hard to tell until we get there. These little bits of dialogue are kind of silly (also a rat "says" SQUEEK and a Brahmin "says" MOO, which I also want to have voiced.) Try to make the woof sound like a dog. Actually pronounce the word. But, well, you know.

As for multiple takes, that would be helpful but don't go out of your way to intentionally record it if you don't want to. If you've got one good line and you're confident, then that's fine. If you want to try variations of it, go ahead; we can pick the one that works best for the scene.

Take as much time as you like. There are a lot of roles to fill and I'm going to be busy recording people in real life as well as balancing some of the roles online. Saturday would be fantastic. Thanks for your help!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

This sounds super interesting, plus I love Fallout so I'm totally down to do some voice stuff! Doesn't matter to me what part(s), so whatever you need. I'm a guy, so probably not female voices, I guess, but you're the director.

Here's my soundcloud if that helps. I mostly do music, but there's a couple weird, avant-garde spoken word type tracks that give a better idea of my speaking voice (from about 3 years ago, so like that but more tired).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

CaptainViolence posted:

This sounds super interesting, plus I love Fallout so I'm totally down to do some voice stuff! Doesn't matter to me what part(s), so whatever you need. I'm a guy, so probably not female voices, I guess, but you're the director.

Here's my soundcloud if that helps. I mostly do music, but there's a couple weird, avant-garde spoken word type tracks that give a better idea of my speaking voice (from about 3 years ago, so like that but more tired).

Thanks for willing to help! I checked out your Soundcloud; that's some amazing stuff. I appreciate when someone who has some musical aptitude uses it creatively. I don't understand the point of making a single by covering another song if you're just going to make it exactly the same. For instance; look up "Drift Away covers" online and you'll find a hundred million professionally recorded covers of the song that is almost indistinguishable from the original.

Well, anyway, I picked some roles based on what I personally envision fitting it well enough. It's a little hard to really tell based solely on your voice, since the spoken word tracks I listened to (which were, like your other tracks, great to hear) have a lot of other things going on, but I can already see you have a broad range. But anyway, that's neither here nor there; who's to say why one person sounds one way and another doesn't? It's only with specialty roles like a mutant or maybe a ghoul that require a kind of delivery. But anyway, if you're willing, here are some roles:

JON ZIMMERMAN, Mayor of Adytum. He wants the Blades destroyed because he believes they tortured and killed his son. He has 14 lines.
CRAZED RAIDER, Raider who holds Sinthia hostage. Then Natalia beats him to death. He has 4 lines.
BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL PALADIN MALE 1 . He has 2 lines.
DECKER'S GUARD MALE 1. He has 3 lines.
NECROPOLIS GHOUL 4. He has 2 lines.

If crazed raider role will need to have some...uh, well, craze to it, and the ghoul one should sound rather...ghoulish? Raspy and wet and melty. I picked these roles because I think your voice is perfect for the mayor of Adytum, and I wanted the other roles spaced far apart from one another. It's a total of 25 lines. Is that okay? If you'd like more, let me know. If it's too much, let me know, too!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping out with this project. I've got some recording done at home with one of our actors, and so the project has migrated from pre-production to um, regular-production.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. If anyone wants to voice Ian specifically, let me know. He's Natalia's companion through most of the game, so I don't want this actor voicing any other lines than Ian unless they think they can do others convincingly so people don't think, "Wait, isn't that Ian?"

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 9, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just uploaded my batch of lines.
I'm very sick right now so I hope they are okay.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

credburn posted:

Thanks for willing to help! I checked out your Soundcloud; that's some amazing stuff. I appreciate when someone who has some musical aptitude uses it creatively. I don't understand the point of making a single by covering another song if you're just going to make it exactly the same. For instance; look up "Drift Away covers" online and you'll find a hundred million professionally recorded covers of the song that is almost indistinguishable from the original.

Well, anyway, I picked some roles based on what I personally envision fitting it well enough. It's a little hard to really tell based solely on your voice, since the spoken word tracks I listened to (which were, like your other tracks, great to hear) have a lot of other things going on, but I can already see you have a broad range. But anyway, that's neither here nor there; who's to say why one person sounds one way and another doesn't? It's only with specialty roles like a mutant or maybe a ghoul that require a kind of delivery. But anyway, if you're willing, here are some roles:

JON ZIMMERMAN, Mayor of Adytum. He wants the Blades destroyed because he believes they tortured and killed his son. He has 14 lines.
CRAZED RAIDER, Raider who holds Sinthia hostage. Then Natalia beats him to death. He has 4 lines.
BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL PALADIN MALE 1 . He has 2 lines.
DECKER'S GUARD MALE 1. He has 3 lines.
NECROPOLIS GHOUL 4. He has 2 lines.

If crazed raider role will need to have some...uh, well, craze to it, and the ghoul one should sound rather...ghoulish? Raspy and wet and melty. I picked these roles because I think your voice is perfect for the mayor of Adytum, and I wanted the other roles spaced far apart from one another. It's a total of 25 lines. Is that okay? If you'd like more, let me know. If it's too much, let me know, too!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping out with this project. I've got some recording done at home with one of our actors, and so the project has migrated from pre-production to um, regular-production.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. If anyone wants to voice Ian specifically, let me know. He's Natalia's companion through most of the game, so I don't want this actor voicing any other lines than Ian unless they think they can do others convincingly so people don't think, "Wait, isn't that Ian?"
Thanks for the compliments! A lot of those covers I did for various Rockstar competitions over in Musician's Lounge. There's some crazy talented people doing those, you should come check them out. :)

I'm totally down to do those lines. I'll get cracking on those this weekend, and send them to you for notes.

EDIT: uploaded them to your dropbox. I gave you a couple readings for each set of lines, and I tried to make the voices all relatively distinct, but let me know if any of it is too much. I also recorded Zimmerman's lines with more headroom just because I knew the last line was going to be louder (I think the last take of it still clipped) but if it's too noisy when you bring the levels up I can rerecord them.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 11, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, dudes! Thanks for all the work you've done. We're still working through the last two episodes of FFIV but since my partner is doing a play, I had some free time to work on this project until she and I can collaborate. I've put together a mostly complete opening scene to Episode 01 of Fallout. You can listen to it, see what the atmosphere and feel of it's supposed to be. It's a bit hammy, but I don't see how it won't be. That's me narrating, and I honestly wasn't trying to emulate Ron Perlman but it kinda happened. Oh well.

You can listen to the 15 minute test run here: http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-01-into-the-wasteland-test

So far in this, there are only two actors (myself and a dude named Patrick) and the in-game voice work. It's a long, introductory scene. If you're unfamiliar with the game, there are some noises you hear that might be odd. The game's "screen" is in a wacky meta conceit supposed to be what is being projected by the Pip Boy itself, and everything you do, such as going through the inventory, accessing the menu, manipulating the environment, is actually being done via the Pip Boy, so the sounds you hear are the Pip Boy's affirmative sounds. Like, inventory usage has a specific button sound. There are sounds for small buttons and large buttons and toggles and dials and switches. And there is the kshhhhrk sound for when combat happens. The chimey jingle for when the player wants to see more options for doing things with the environment. I'm including these all here for the opening scene as a sort of nod to fans of the game, but I think I will just phase them out because they're very tedious to implement and also perhaps kind of annoying? It works better in FFIV where everything is very abstract and video gamey, but here it might be odd. Or maybe not?

By the way, did you know that Fallout has like thirty different sounds for the same action, depending on what the person is wearing and what they are wielding whenever said action is made? That is to say, the sound for specifically getting hit from the front while wearing a leather jacket and holding a knife is different than the same sound but holding a hammer, or wearing the vault suit, or getting hit from the front. And it's all hidden by these string of letters that have to be decrypted. For instance, a sound file that reads HAPAABD means Hero Androgynous, A which means...I think, light armor, A meaning lightest of that armor, B meaning a death sound, and D designating it's death by being ripped apart by a melee weapon or something. Well, this isn't entirely accurate because I don't have the list with me, but it's about that complicated.

Oh, I wanted to explain a few things, too. The conceit of this podcast is that it's kind of a translated experience where the listener is effectively the player but has no direct control. But since the listener is the player, I've incorporated a few things that are slightly beyond the game itself -- specifically, using the manual that came with the game.

Since the manual for Fallout 1 is "The Vault Dweller's Survival Guide" and it's written as though this were an actual thing the Vault Dweller would have (such is the conceit of the book itself) I've incorporated it into the game to help understand some of the extraneous details and also it functions as a slight nod to nerds like me who really love old PC game manuals. But anyway, small details like what is Vault 13 is nice to have as introductory exposition and until you find holodisks and talk to specific people, which doesn't happen until much later, the player's understanding of what is happening is limited to the game itself which is sparse in this regard.

With help from SA Goons, myself and Girlfriend, some other contributing folks from the Online and some actors in real life, we have 25 of the 130-something roles filled. This next week we're going to fill up a lot more, but if you want to jump in, feel free to! Or if you already have, you can do more voices if you're up to it. The voices you guys have uploaded are all perfect; thanks to for doing multiple takes. Sometimes little things shift in tone by the time we actually get to the voiced scene and having multiple lines to choose from to find the best fit is helpful.

Thanks again, guys. I'm going back to work on it, the voices so far are great!

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 13, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm up for this. Here's a Tindeck to show off my voice: http://tindeck.com/listen/fhmoz

e: Hell, I'll take Richard Grey. Caleb, too. Follower Scout Male 2 as well.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 17, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The best kind of mix tape. Go nuts!

VVVVV As of today, all the female roles have been taken (haven't updated the list quite yet) but there are like 50 roles that are just one or two line NPCs and those are going to be the hardest to fill. We would definitely appreciate someone to lend their voice to those roles. You can voice as many roles as your range allows. Or even if you have a limited range it's not really going to matter if Raider 02 from Episode 1 sounds the same as Merchant 4 from Episode 10. Or what have you.

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 17, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This is a cool project, I'll scan the characters this afternoon. If nothing too big pops out at me, maybe I could be "rando male" and just pick up one small role for each town kind of thing.

Let's get some of these not so glamorous parts out of the way...

ADYTUM GUARD MALE 1
BLADES MALE 1
BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL PALADIN MALE 2
CHILDREN OF THE CATHEDRAL JUNKTOWN DOCTOR
CHILDREN OF THE CATHEDRAL MALE 1
CRIMSON CARAVAN CARAVAN DRIVER
DECKER'S GUARD MALE 2
FOLLOWER OF THE APOCALYPSE MALE 1
GAMBLER MALE 1
GHOUL UNDERGROUNDER 1
GLOWING ONE 1
GUARDSMAN 1
GUNRUNNER MALE 1
INVADING MUTANT 1
MARIPOSA AI
NECROPOLIS GHOUL 1
RAIDER MALE 1
REGULATOR MALE 1
SHADY SANDS PACING MAN
THE HUB DRUNK
VAULT 13 CITIZEN MALE 01

ed. Just to be clear, I know that you might want to bump some of these recordings if they are too close together, or if you get a lot of people expressing interest, in order to make things more diverse. So even if not all of them get used, I'm fine with that.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 17, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

You're a huge help, offering your voice for these roles. We could definitely use those filled -- all but the Mariposa A.I. -- we've decided to use an absurdly sensual woman's voice for this broken down computer as well as combine it with another A.I. role. Sort of like a sexy HAL 9000.

The roles you're offering to do are varied, but they don't total a great many lines. If you want to do a more significant role, go ahead!

Edit: Oh, wait, nevermind. You have more lines than anyone! Well, you can still have more if you want to try.

OH and all you who have contributed or are going to contribute; if we mention you on the podcast, how would you prefer to be called? You know, one day, in the far future, this podcast will be in a museum and your great grandchildren who are now pure energy beings will bring their great grandchildren there and they'll point to the podcast and they'll say, See that? Your ol' great granpappy was on that podcast.

Back when there was flesh?

Yes.

What a horrible time.

Let us never speak of it again.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 18, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I got them all recorded this afternoon, do you have any editing guidelines? Like should I guess what the best take is and just send that, or do you want a couple different takes to choose from? I'm going to try and get them all edited tomorrow before a birthday party, but it might get pushed back to Sunday evening/Monday possibly, just for a rough time line. I'm glad you got a good fit for the Maripsa AI, sounds like a fun choice.

Once I edit them down I'll shoot them over, and see if there is another role, or if you want you can hear them and if you think I'd be a good fit for a role let me know.

This is a really cool project and I'm going to dig into some of your past episodes :)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

You don't need to edit them at all. Since much of what I do in putting the podcast together is basically stitching sound samples onto a timeline, I'll be editing them anyway. If you have takes that you know are not good, you can get rid of them, otherwise I'll take any extras. Sometimes it helps to have multiple recordings that are just as good because you're making these recordings against only what you perceive the context is, but so is the person providing that context within the scene, so there's no way it will ever sound completely natural; having multiple recordings helps, though. The first and last accents in a sentence ties into the preceeding and proceeding ones like a jigsaw puzzle. I want to come as close as possible.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Very cool, I'll make sure your job is as easy possible, keep things limited to just good takes and the like. I've done voice work for these kinds of projects before and everyone has their own processes they prefer so I always try to provide whatever makes the job simplest.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Computers restarting without warning makes me sad, but it's a good thing I save regularly.

For Richard Grey...what's the deal with the #ERROR!s? Is there dialogue that's been corrupted?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Oh, I didn't see that. No, that came about from some Word - to - Excel tomfoolery. I copied it right from the game's text, which can be found here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Grey%27s_audio_diary -- I can't find it specifying anywhere, but I think the number ranges in each entry represent a period of days covered. Like, the first log covers days 1 through 4, and the second entry covers days 5 through 20 and so on. If you want to voice that, you can maybe just say "five through twenty" or something. Maybe the audience will make the same assumption as I, with the same data, albeit in a different form? I dunno. Try it how you think would work best. Or both ways, and we can decide later.

On side note, Episode 01 is almost finished. It won't be released for a while yet, but I just want to say it's getting done'd.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ah, I see. Seeing as how Grey says that he doesn't know how much time has passed, I don't think it would make sense for him to say what day it was.

Also, having read more of the script, I claim Craps Dealer, Brahmin, Skag 1, Invading Mutant 3, Sentry Robot 1, and the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide (for which I will attempt a Stephen Fry impression).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Having not replayed Fallout 1 in quite a while, kind of intrigued by this weird type of Let's Play.

Claiming Patrick the Celt and Mr. Handy 1.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 19, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

You got it!

Interestingly, (did I already mention this?) the only mention of the Vault Dweller's "partner" post-Fallout is in the Vault Dweller's Memoirs in the FO2 manual, and it only describes this person as "Pat." I'd like to think the protagonist, in this case female, found Patrick the Celt sometime later and they settled down together singing Irish ballads.

Edit so as not to bump the thread unecessarily: We're halfway done filling up roles. Production of the episodes has halted because I'm waiting for a role to be voiced (reserved for a friend in real life, but she's busy at the theatre until tomorrow) but things are moving along faster than I'd thought they were.

credburn fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
You people need help

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Sign me up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

This is a boon. You've got an awesome voice. How about these guys?

SETH: The leader of the guards in Shady Sands, Seth is favored by Aradesh. He organized the guards to protect against raider and radscorpion attacks alike. You're the first person to interact with the protagonist! Only 3 lines, though.

RUTGER: The guy who actually runs the Far Go Traders. 12 lines.

TON: A very strong and very angry and perhaps a little psychotic man who has been treated with FEV but not completely mutated into a Supermutant. He boasts his incredible strength and relishes in killing. 9 lines.

And here are some miscellaneous characters:

ADYTUM GUARD MALE 2. 2 lines. Tough kind of guy, metal armor, rifle.
BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL ELDER MALE 1. The elders are the ruling council at the Lost Hills bunker. They are older and cloaked in purple robes. 6 lines.
GIZMO'S GUARD 1. Gizmo's super tough guard. 3 lines.
INVADING MUTANT 2 The Invading Mutants have taken over Necropolis and are hunting "prime normies" for dipping. They are loud and angry and mostly idiots. 1 line.
NECROPOLIS AGGRESSIVE GHOUL 2 These are ghouls who have lost their humanity and are now just kind of violent, brainless zombies. 2 lines.
RAIDER MALE 2 M Raiders usually wear leather jackets, though sometimes they can be seen in metal armor. They sometimes carry guns, but the gun quality is usually low-tier, like a 10mm pistol or equivalent. It's not uncommon for raiders to just carry around knives and spears. 10 lines.

That's 48 lines. Is that okay? You can have less or more if you like. Also, feel free to experiment with voices and styles, but try to maintain a somewhat regional consistency. You can't go full blown yee-haw hillbilly because these are Northern California folk.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

tango alpha delta, you're breaking my heart. It's been a while and I've not heard from you. Are you still interested in doing voices?

I need to know, because we're now working on the podcast itself but we've run into the first couple snags because the expected voices are not yet available. We've got plenty of time to get it cleaned up before this project's deadline (which at this time is going to be ... well, the first episode will appear April 15th, I think.) but I need to make sure who is going to contribute -- so I can replace people if they're not interested.

There are a lot of roles left, but in fact more than half of the voices are already recorded and myself and my partner will be voicing the narrator and protagonist which make up an entire third of the content so effectively this project is already about two thirds complete. There aren't many lines left; most of the roles remaining have only have a handful of lines, except for Ian who by himself has close to 60. I know there are other resources, but I wanted to get you guys involved first and if there isn't enough interest coming up in here I do have people in real life who can do it, too.

Anyway, I don't want to bump this thread...it's a rather niche thing and I don't want to clutter the forums, but I don't have any way of directly contact you (tango alpha delta) and I wanted to update the top post, anyway.

Everyone else who has contributed or is going to, thank you so much. The stuff I've gotten already is surprisingly good.

EDIT: VVVV 3> VVVV

EDIT 2: VVVV <3 I mean VVVV

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 13, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've been working hard on the two voices I haven't sent in. They're not at a point I'm happy with yet, but rest assured I haven't forgotten about this project.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd be happy to do more lines. What I lack in talent I make up for with lots of free time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Inzombiac, a hero is you. If you don't mind, maybe you could help out with some filler roles? These are the oddest ones to do, and I kind of wish I'd done them differently. I definitely want them there, but it's weird having 100 characters with only one line a piece. But I also don't want two characters close to each other sounding alike and this is an easy way to ensure that. Shrug. But there are some larger roles that need filling, too...how about these?

THE GLOW LOG -- A series of logs recorded by a scientist working in the research facility that became the Glow. It contains failed experiments on dogs, rats, and the changing of the research location to the Mariposa Military Basy. 22 lines. If you like, you can record this normal -- it's being played back via holotape and so I can add radio crackles and beeps as needed to emulate the sound.
LARS - The head of the guards of Junktown. He is a heavily muscled man with a mustache, bearing many scars from both knives and guns. 12 lines.
RUTGER M The guy who actually runs the Far Go Traders. 12 lines.

And some fillers:

RAIDER MALE 2 -- Raiders usually wear leather jackets, though sometimes they can be seen in metal armor. They sometimes carry guns, but the gun quality is usually low-tier, like a 10mm pistol or equivalent. It's not uncommon for raiders to just carry around knives and spears. 10 lines, mostly a lot of "argh!' and "I'm gonna gitcha!"
THUG 2 - 1 line.
SHADY SANDS CITIZEN 01 - 1 line.
WIGGUM - A crazy psyker beneath the Cathedral. 1 line.
NECROPOLIS AGGRESSIVE GHOUL 3 -- 2 lines.
BATTERED INITIATE -- 2 lines.

That's 64 lines, in addition to the ones you've already sent. Is this okay?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sounds good! I'll get started on Friday.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What is the tolerance for accents on this project?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Not very high, I think. As far as I know, Vault 15 would be the only source of accents in this game's region since it was designed as a social experiment to contain people of many different cultures, but of those people one is voiced, the other is a woman (already recorded her lines) and I don't know who else would be. Besides those people, the only people with accents have them as some weird quirk. Loxley, for instance, is not British but styles himself after Robin Hood. There's a supposed Scotsman and a Celt, but there's not much information about them or why they are, uh, foreign or whatever. Even the Fallout Wiki draws a blank.

SO that being said, there's no reason to think the occasional mutant or ghoul didn't have an accent, either. Where do you come from, by the way? If you can do a good Scottish or Irish accent, I could use you for those roles. Otherwise, it's kind of limited to ghouls and mutants going rawwwrrr

But let me know if you'd like to do that! We always need more actors.

EDIT: Well, there is Razlo, a doctor in Shady Sands with nine lines. There's nothing that says he's not from Vault 15. Let me know if you want him!

Edit 2: On a side note, thanks again to everyone who's helped out so far. This project has over 3000 lines in it, and we've only got 658 left to go!

And if anyone is reading this far down, we also have an idea of the next games we're doing, which should be: Fallout (starting next month, twelve episodes) and then Skies of Arcadia (the Gamecube version, which I own and has a lot more stuff in it, but we're using the sound and music from the Dreamcast version, which is better), then Shadowrun (SNES) and if all that goes well, we're going to jump into a really big project, Final Fantasy 6. So, if anyone wants to be part of any of those, let me know and I'll keep you on call for voices! If you have always dreamed of playing a particular character, let us know.

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I finally got Richard Grey done. I hope I conveyed 'slowly turning into a monster' well! Any other roles do you think are up my alley?

• Locked thread