Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are we sure she's not going to be Gregor? Gregor is foreign exotic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Picayune posted:

Man, if only she could have Innes. :allears:

Clearly the correct answer would have been 'the 3-13 archer'.

(In all seriousness Innes would have been fantastic, but since they've decided to not only limit their character pool but also sort of disregard the source characterization anyway, it's probably for the best.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Glazius posted:

Are we sure she's not going to be Gregor? Gregor is foreign exotic!

Two problems with that theory:

1) Gregor wasn't a foreign exotic in the Japanese version of Awakening; he was just a generic older guy, and Glorious Russian Accent Gregor was something 8-4 came up with to give him a bit more personality during localization.

2) Gregor's not an archer by default, and Ellie's last name, Yumizuru, comes up as "Archery" if you run it through Google Translate (with "Bowstring" as an alternative translation).

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As someone with basically no Fire Emblem familiarity beyond Ike and company and Marth in Smash Bros., Ellie's mirage interactions are easily my favorite.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We're going to be doing double updates for the next week or two to get through the intermission, and then we'll go back to normal once Chapter 3 starts.

And so we find ourselves back in sunny Shibuya for another intermission. Let's see what Maiko has for us today.

quote:

You've been doing great these days Itsuki! Well, here's mission number two!
And this time the coach will be...! Ooh, curious? Do you want to know?
But... I'm afraid it's a secret. <3 It's at the same place as last time: Uzume Lesson Studio!

By the way, have you heard about Anzu? The apparel store in Harajuku?
Apparently they have outfits that were used in TV shows and movies too. If you have time, you should take a look.

The lesson can start anytime, so just come by whenever you feel you're ready!

Well, with an invitation like that, how can we not? Off to Harajuku!

Unlike Shibuya, Harajuku is 100% optional, although the structure is largely the same. Like the cafe in Shibuya, food is strictly inferior to drinks on account of costing twice as much for the same benefit, but if you're dying to hear more of Itsuki's food critiques, it's here for you.

Anzu, on the other hand, sells a bunch of optional costumes. Basically anything that you see get used in a music video or sidequest will eventually end up here, although as you can see, they do get quite expensive! By the end of the game, you can expect to be regularly dropping 100k+ on costumes, if you're so inclined.

And at the far end of the street, there's an idolasphere entrance. Don't worry about it! We'll come back to that later.

So hey, now that we've seen what the new place has to offer, let's get cracking on those sidequ-

quote:

itsuik are you busy
i need you to come hhelp its an emergency

...Well, I guess we should probably start at the office.

*sigh* I mean, if we're being honest, I'm surprised this hasn't come up earlier. Let's see what she's been up to.

:siren: I'm A-Okay! :siren:

How much did you drink to get like this...!?

About...two big bottles of shochu...

Are you going to be alright?

As you can see, I'm A-Okay! Ahahahaha- Urp!

...I understand. You want me to go buy some hangover medicine, right? Is there anything in particular you'd like?

...A vodka. Lemon, please.

Do you want me to leave?

W-Wait! Wait! I had Tiki make me hangover medicine before... Try asking her. She'll know what to- Oh, god.

You had the spirit girl make you hangover medicine? What the *gently caress* kind of medicine is that and how goddamn drunk did you get that you needed *that*? :stare:

Okay, I'm heading out now.

I-I owe you one...

So yeah, we need to go to the spirit world to get medicine for a hangover. Let's see what the hell Tiki has been cooking up for Maiko.

:siren: Not Again... :siren:

Ugh. Not again.

Tharja?

Relax. It's nothing we haven't dealt with before.

Is there something that will help?

There's a medicine we had her take when this happened last time!

Could I have some of that, then?

Oh good, she has to think about it when we ask if we can have some. This is a good sign.

Um... It looks like the amount we gave her last time was the last of it...

We'll have to go to the Idolasphere to get the ingredients for it...

I'll go. I can't leave Ms. Maiko like this.

You're so nice, big brother.

...Who knows what she'll do if we leave her like that.

Ahaha, that's true. Well then, be careful! I'll send you the details of the ingredients later.

Anyway, since we're here, let's go ahead and make a new sword for Itsuki before we head out.

quote:

Let's see here... The ingredients for the medicine are...
Illusory Fungus, Illusory Clams, Illusory Dirt.
That's all! You can get them in the Idolasphere at Daitama!

...Clams? Fungus? Dirt? What the *gently caress* is this medicine? :staredog:

Kiria's hanging out at Daitama too. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the office right now, either.

Anyway, while we're here beating up on L1 enemies, we can grab Bow-Thunder from the sword we just made for Itsuki. Now, I'm not suggesting that you do this before Chapter 3 proper starts, but it might not be the worst idea in the world to grab a Bow session skill. Just saying.

The actual items are just lying around the path through Illusory Daitama. With Estoma up, there is literally nothing to this other than holding forward and grabbing the shinies. And holy poo poo, is that *rusted nails* in that dirt? The stuff we're using as part of some medicine? :stare:

:siren: Woo! :siren:

Leave it to me! Let's make this medicine!

Hrah!

She even does that pose she practiced for taking a Carnage form when she makes it. Tiki is still the best. :3:

Phew, I'm tired... The medicine's ready though!

What was that pose just now?

Geez, that doesn't matter! Come on, hurry and take the medicine to Maiko!

Alright, let's get this over with.

Itsuki made Maiko take the medicine...

*gulp* Ewww... It's so bitter...

*sigh* Thank goodness...

That worked like a charm... What the hell was actually in it?

Ahaha... I'm sorry, everyone. Looks like I caused a lot of trouble for you. I'd better thank Tiki too.

Seriously... What kind of hangover takes a trip to the Idolasphere to cure? Please don't make us go through that again. We're not your parents, Ms. Maiko.

Huh!? M-Me!?

Th-That's a bad boy, Touma! Bad boy! You have to be nice!

Hahaha... The lady sure is irresponsible...

Well, we know she likes her booze, but there's probably a reason that she came in that hung over. So uh, little of column A, little of column B?

I wouldn't go that far...

There's no need to sugarcoat it. Maiko went drinking with industry execs last night to promote Fortuna's talent. Her conduct was impressive, I hear.

So that's why...

That's not all. She's even negotiated with police officials all night in order to cover up the incidents involving Mirages...

So we're able to fight because Ms. Maiko supports us in the background... Is that what you mean?

She tries not to let anyone notice that kind of thing... But I thought you should know about it, Itsuki.

We should be thankful then.

Let's work hard today, as always! Woo!

Woo!

Woo!

C'mon, you too, Itsuki!

Woo.

Maiko Shimazaki has become "Tipsy President" thanks to Itsuki's influence!

Did... Did we really cause that? I don't think that one was due to Itsuki's influence...

Maiko acquired the backup skill Drinking Connections!

Like Tiki, all of Maiko's sidequests unlock new passive skills. This one increases the amount of money we get from selling stuff, from 60 to 63%. Hooray?

Last thing for today, Anzu also has a Melmark lottery, which you can use to unlock artwork and other promotional stuff. It's pretty good stuff, and I'll be posting them here and there as I unlock them.

Feel
The Hee-Ho Mart
Hero FES
Labyrinth of Love
One of Millennium Audition

The merchant herself is harder to pin down than Anna and Aimee. Visually, the closest design is Cath, from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, but FE6 is otherwise never referenced in TMS, and Cath is a thief, not a merchant. So... :shrug:

Anyway, next up is Tsubasa first sidequest. See you all for that!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Artix posted:

Unlike Shibuya, Harajuku is 100% optional, although the structure is largely the same. Like the cafe in Shibuya, food is strictly inferior to drinks on account of costing twice as much for the same benefit, but if you're dying to hear more of Itsuki's food critiques, it's here for you.
Heh, you should do a "food episode". It's just about the most personality and characterization we're going to get out of Mr. Blue, so it'd be good to show it off. Maybe hold off until you get access to all the food shops, though.

Artix posted:

...Clams? Fungus? Dirt? What the *gently caress* is this medicine?
They're all "illusory", so maybe it's a placebo? The power to be not hung over was inside Maiko all along?

Artix posted:

Anyway, while we're here beating up on L1 enemies, we can grab Bow-Thunder from the sword we just made for Itsuki. Now, I'm not suggesting that you do this before Chapter 3 proper starts, but it might not be the worst idea in the world to grab a Bow session skill. Just saying.
I mean, you have the skill slot open anyways, so you might as well, even if you don't have a party member who can use Bows yet. Too bad it can't trigger off of those consumables from the Hee-Ho Mart that deal Bow damage, though. It seems kinda useless at this point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Itsuki sure seemed very annoyed at Maiko's drunkenness. It's kind of weird to see him that irritated considering his usual nature, but I can't say I wasn't close to laughing at him deciding to just leave after Maiko's vodka joke.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
So a bit of Japanese Business culture thing going on here but going out and drinking with your fellow peers and/or fellow employees is a Big Thing over there and being able to hold your liqueur is frequently considered an impressive and good trait. It's frequently done after work as well used for important meetings between different business groups both formal and informal.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd be annoyed if my boss showed up to work drunk/hung over, and I'd call myself fairly laid-back, as well. And on top of that, being expected to pick up some medicine for her hangover?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Itsuki sure seemed very annoyed at Maiko's drunkenness. It's kind of weird to see him that irritated considering his usual nature, but I can't say I wasn't close to laughing at him deciding to just leave after Maiko's vodka joke.

I cannot stand dealing with drunk people.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Maiko's great, y'all a buncha squares. Look how hard she worked for the lamest passive skill in the game!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ometeotl posted:

I cannot stand dealing with drunk people.

Never get a job as a server

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Itsuki does have a personality. It's a little boring, but still, it's there.

Like how he decides to leave after Maiko's vodka joke, and how he's like 'Woo.' when the others are 'Woo!'

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When Maiko was hungover, I couldn't help but imagine her sounding like Rick from Rick and Morty.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Maiko was hungover, I couldn't help but imagine her sounding like Rick from Rick and Morty.

God drat it now I can't get that image out of my head. "*uuuuurp* I-Itsuki. I-I need you to *urp* g-go to the Idolasphere. M-Maiko n-eeeds her hangover juice." "Oooh...I don't think this is such a great idea Maiko."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

when does she make Tsubasa sing Get Schwifty

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo that background image.

Can you get that as a poster?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I only just appreciated that he's somehow driving while sitting in the passanger's seat. I know that cars in Japan are reversed like in Britain but that steering wheel is clearly on the left side of the car.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Artix posted:

The actual items are just lying around the path through Illusory Daitama. With Estoma up, there is literally nothing to this other than holding forward and grabbing the shinies. And holy poo poo, is that *rusted nails* in that dirt? The stuff we're using as part of some medicine? :stare:
I'm more worried about the cordyceps. I admit I don't know much about medicine, but I don't think that swallowing magic brain fungus from another dimension is a good idea.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Shochu will kick the poo poo out of you if you're not careful. It tastes like rubbing alcohol, but it doesn't have much bite so it's easy to down shot after shot of it until you find yourself in trouble as Maiko apparently did. 2 bottles in an evening would probably have someone like me on his knees worshipping the porcelain throne. If you're drinking for fun, the stuff is vile, but there are few substances better when your goal is just to get drunk. Maiko is clearly made of stern stuff.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kids at work giving
me grief over coming
in hungover... #ugh

quote:

a debut CD release and a model shoot! everything's happening so fast... my life is full of surprises now. x___x

Oh don't act like you didn't deserve it, Maiko. "Giving me grief" is underselling "I needed literal magic medicine". :colbert:

Anyway, today we're going to tackle Tsubasa's first sidequest, but first let's take a lap around Shibuya and catch up on some other stuff.

Like Yashiro! He's hanging out near Illusory Shibuya, if you feel like you haven't been demeaned enough recently.

Just down the street, the maid from Cafe Seiren has a quest for us. She's modelled off of Ilyana, a mage from Path of Radiance whose personality can best be summed up as "I like to eat." At least she's on brand?

Welcome... Thank you for stopping by.

I came up with a new item, so our customers here at Seiren can relax... It's a Yakisoba Latte, but it's wildly unpopular, it seems...

I was hoping to make something more medicinal, to soothe the mind and body. Would you mind helping?

Of course.

All right, thank you! So I'm thinking we use a...rather controversial ingredient - Maca Leaf! But I'll need three of them, mind you. Just let me know when you get them all.

If we didn't already have four of them, this could be remedied by walking 15 seconds down the street to the Hee-Ho Mart. They're not even that expensive!

Thank you so much! I'm going to take these into the kitchen right now and test out my idea! Oh, and if you like, you can have a fresh cup! I'll be waiting for you...

And sure enough, there's a new drink in the menu. Why don't you tell us about it, Food Critic Itsuki?

Such tart, earthy tones signal not only the pinnacle of taste but also the height of digestive and metabolic reinforcement.

It also brings Itsuki and Touma's luck up to "Good", if that's something you really need.

quote:

Itsuki, I need your advice on something!
I'll be waiting in front of the cafe. could you come by whenever you have time? please?

Why, what a coincidence! That's where we are right now! Let's go see what she wants.

Sure. What's wrong?

It'll be awkward talking about it here, so let's go inside the cafe.

:siren: Meet and Greet, Part 1 :siren:

But... I can't shake hands with people... I-It's normally not a problem, but when I think about doing that at a public event, I get nervous.

Uh-huh... Well, why don't we practice a bit?

...That's pretty bad.

I have...social anxiety...

Man, if that's what she does when it's Itsuki, her problems go way past a little public anxiety. She's going to need more than just a little practice to get over this one.

Hrgh... Hey, Itsuki. Do you have any ideas on how I can gain more confidence?

It's...probably best if you just interact with as many people as possible. ...But it'd also be weird if an idol suddenly walked up and asked, "May I practice shaking your hand?"

Oh! What do you think about freebie marketing?

Huh?

Handing out free samples might be good practice for interacting with people you don't know.

I see! Ehehe, you sure are smart, Itsuki!

Plus, you can probably expect a better turnout since you'll be advertising your meet-and-greet.

It's decided then! I'm gonna go get ready at once!

I suppose that some impromptu exposure therapy isn't the worst idea in the world, although I'd imagine this would be more likely to have her end up curling up in a ball because of her anxiety rather than helping her get over it.

quote:

I'm ready to go!
I'll be waiting for you at the crosswalk near the station!

But hey, she's ready to do this, so who are we to say no?

:siren: Meet and Greet, Part 2 :siren:

You're gonna get over this no matter what, right?

Of course! I'm gonna go do my best. Make sure you watch!

Why, there's someone right now! Let's see what you've got, Tsubasa.

Itsuki! S-Someone's coming! H-How should I go talk to him?

Briskly and full of energy. Probably.

I'll be holding a meet-and-greet soon! P-Please come by!

Forgive the sudden jumps in this section, this is literally how it's presented in-game, with the constant jumping between Itsuki and handing out the invites.

Good. Keep at it. This time, try changing how you hand it over, depending on the person.

How I hand it over? ...Okay, I'll try!

You could just not think too much into it and hand it normally.

P-Please come to my meet-and-greet!

(Yes!)

You're on a roll. ...Then again, it still doesn't feel natural yet.

Hmm... My facial expression might be too stiff... All right, I'll focus on that next time!

Just smile a bit!

I'll be holding a meet-and-greet soon! I'd love if you would come to it.

Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this! I'll try the next one myself.

And from here it's just a supercut of her talking a bunch of different NPCs and giving out all her invites. You overcame social anxiety in just a few minutes! Itsuki is just that good.

Looks like you're over your social anxiety.

My what now?

Ohhhhhhhh! Th-Th-That's right! I was handing out free samples to get over my social anxiety! I was so preoccupied doing it that I completely forgot about that part!

Come on...

But a meet-and-greet's the same idea, isn't it? You're supposed to give it your all in that short period of time. I understand now!

Tsubasa Oribe's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening... Tsubasa's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Hand's Warmth!

Ehehehe... I did it!

Door of Connection unlocks a new SP Attack for Tsubasa. It's disgustingly good! But we'll talk about that in a second.

You'll be fine. What's truly terrifying is when one grows numb to that feeling. The tension you feel is a good sign. You worked hard for this, Tsubasa. Have more confidence in yourself.

Y-You're right! Thanks, Caeda! Tsubasa Oribe is off to the greet-and-meet!

Waaaaah!

God only knows, Caeda. God only knows.

:siren: Meet and Greet, Part 3 :siren:

The actual meet-and-greet is more or less glossed over. It's basically just Tsubasa up on the stage shaking hands with all the NPCs she saw in the first bit.

...Mostly, anyway. :allears:

Welcome back. A lot more people showed up today than I imagined.

Mm-hm! Tons of people who accepted my free samples came too! It's all thanks to you helping me! I couldn't have done it without you, Itsuki!

So, how'd it feel doing a meet-and-greet?

Ehehehe...

What's up?

Handshakes are like magic. I did get nervous, but I felt as though I was truly connecting with my fans through the palms of our hands. It's not just about singing and dancing. Connecting with people is important for an idol too.

Speaking of handshakes... I'd like one too. I want to experience the results of all your effort.

H-Huh!? ...Okay.

Tsubasa Oribe has grown as an entertainer and has become "Madcap Idol"! Tsubasa acquired the Special Performance Debut Smile!

So, let's talk about Debut Smile real quick. Those of you familiar with the Persona series are probably aware of a skill called "Heat Riser" (or Luster Candy, as it's called in Strange Journey and SMT IV). It's universally considered to be the best buff skill in the game, due to the fact that it combines Tarukaja, Rakukaja, and Sukukaja, buffing your attack, defense, and agility all at once. This is somewhat balanced by the fact that it's usually expensive as hell (Usually around 50 MP a pop, although SMT4: Apocalypse jacks it up to 100 because????), single-target, and can't be obtained until very late into the game.

Debut Smile is a full-party Heat Riser, except if you traded the attack boost for a Mediarama, for 1 SP. It's not quite as ludicrously broken as it could have been, but it's still far and away the best defensive skill in the entire game.

There's one more quick thing we can do, by examining the bookcase again.

First, we can grab the magazine featuring Tsubasa's photo shoot.

More importantly, this is how we access the DLC costumes. Let's see how Tsubasa fared at the fashion show.

:siren: Tokyo Millennium Collection: Tsubasa :siren:

It's a...sexy Santa outfit. Yeah, sure, let's go with that.

You must be tired, Miss Santa.

Yup, I'm pretty exhausted! Still, it went by in a flash!

So...um... Wh-what do you think of my Santa costume!?

I think you looked really good wearing it out there. It was cute.

R-R-R-Really!?

Yeah.

He said I looked cute in it...! I gotta buy these clothes at once!

Tsubasa?

O-Oh, it's nothing! Really! Nothing at all!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Artix posted:

Like Yashiro! He's hanging out near Illusory Shibuya, if you feel like you haven't been demeaned enough recently.

THE REASON OF YOSUGA HAS wait wrong game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kurieg posted:

THE REASON OF YOSUGA HAS wait wrong game.
Eh, every MegaTen has a Yashiro.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017
I've never been demeaned enough, so more Yashiro is always a good thing.

As cliché as Tsubasa is, she's just so drat earnest and sweet that I can't be annoyed by her. Hell of a thing. Plus Debut Smile is ridiculous, but hey.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Somehow Luster Candy minus attack seems pretty fair for a... this is like mid-game, right?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Eh, every MegaTen has a Yashiro.

So rude. So mean. Can't we sass him back?

He's so cold. Colder than our ice / dark mage.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Glazius posted:

Somehow Luster Candy minus attack seems pretty fair for a... this is like mid-game, right?

Technically we've completed 2/6 chapters, but as far as actual game time, we're at like...25%? 30%? Somewhere in that neighborhood. And it's not Luster Candy minus attack, it's Luster Candy minus attack but plus a full party heal. :v:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Artix posted:

Technically we've completed 2/6 chapters, but as far as actual game time, we're at like...25%? 30%? Somewhere in that neighborhood. And it's not Luster Candy minus attack, it's Luster Candy minus attack but plus a full party heal. :v:

And it costs 1 SP? Really? Really?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And it costs 1 SP? Really? Really?

SP takes a few rounds to build up. It's not this game's form of general mana, that would be EP. SP skills are really powerful, but in theory that's offset by them needing a few turns between use. In theory, at least. There are ways around that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

SP takes a few rounds to build up. It's not this game's form of general mana, that would be EP. SP skills are really powerful, but in theory that's offset by them needing a few turns between use. In theory, at least. There are ways around that.

Oh sorry. I kinda forgot SP is the special thing and not the SP in persona games.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

canks for thoming!
...omg I can't type.
W/E NOT FIXING IT

quote:

my dad kiiiiinda freaked out when he heard about the model shoot stuff.

but Aya helped me convince him, and now he fully supports me on all this. I'm so lucky to have them on my side, yknow?

Now that's a status I can get behind, good job Tsubasa. :allears:

Before we hang out with Touma, we've got a few things to clean up. Katao here has another request, so let's see what she wants.

Eeeah! D-Don't look at me like that! ...Oh, I'm so embarrassed!

*sigh* I guess it's dumb getting all bent out of shape... I-I-I should just tell him. Itsuki, could you give me some advice?

Itsuki accepted the request Conveying my Feelings!

You know Moteki-senpai, right? One grade above us... We have a class on the same floor, so I see him every day. Oh... My nerves just can't take this. Fate is so cruel! Why must you toy with my innocent heart!?

Y-You're laughing!? You think it's a joke!? Argh! This is so embarrassing! Just forget I said anything at all!

Well that went swimmingly. Clearly we should talk to her again and rub some more salt in the wound.

Ugh! Hey, are you hearing this? Hello? I'm being serious here...

S-So...the trend is, when you're in love...you're supposed to be direct and pour out a confession? You mean, a love letter! I, MOEKA KATAO, SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I SHALL EXECUTE "OPERATION HANDWRITTEN LOVE LETTER"!

...Itsuki, please help! Won't you lend some of your big, strong courage to a poor, defenseless young girl?

(I got it... "Feel" is a great song! I bet if Moeka heard Tsubasa singing, she'd probably gain some courage...!)

...Look, Itsuki, buddy. I don't know how the hell you got from point A to B there but I think you took a few turns that weren't on the map.

Itsuki gave the "Feel" CD to Moeka.

H-Huh? What's this...? Hey, is this Tsubasa? Hm! Let me see...

Moeka is staring transfixed at the lyrics on the CD insert.

These lyrics... They're speaking to me! It's almost like my exact situation... Hey, I'm feeling something! It's courage! Thank you, Itsuki! I'm going to take this home and listen to it on repeat!

Request complete! Obtained Magic Incense.

Well that was dumb, but totally worth it! :toot: On to the next one - next stop, the department store!

Touma's hanging out in the back, but we don't need to worry about him yet. Let's talk to this small child instead.

I have to look after my little brother... Mommy told me to stay by Sou's side while she goes shopping.

Buuuuuut I finished my coloring book, and now I'm bored. Do you konw where I can find the coloring book my mommy always gives me? She gets it from one of those free magazines...

Hey, mister, if you bring me one, I'll have something to color!

Sure.

You'll get me one of those free magazines to color? Thank you, mister! Mommy always gets those magazines from some place called She-boo-ya. Come back soon!

If you were paying attention, you might remember that there's a huge rack of magazines in the Hee-Ho Mart. In which case you'd be WRONG, IDIOT! Why would you think the magazine we need would be with the magazines? That's just crazy, we'll see where it actually is later. For now, let's see what Touma needs.

quote:

sup. uh. i want to get advice from you. you free? i'm hanging out at the top of the department store like usual

Romantic, you say? Well, by all means, do continue. :allears:

:siren: Touma in Leopard Print, Part 1 :siren:

That's rare. I never thought I'd hear that coming from you.

Yeah... So I need you to help me out with something...

???: What's the Genome Monster doing here?

Wh-What!?

Oh good, everyone's favorite nihilist child is back.

Come on. I watched the show on TV. Was what you told me last time a lie? Were you just satisfied doing some lame show at a place like this? And stuck with the villain part, too.

...Urk!

Well, not like it matters. You just blurted that stuff out. It's not like I had my hopes up to begin with...

Wh-What? Are you gonna hit a kid like me?

I mean, that would be pretty hosed up, especially for someone as nice as Touma, but this kid has been needling him pretty badly. He could do with a good scolding, if nothing else.

I just wanted to get you to smile... That's why I couldn't stop myself from lying to you...!

...For a reason like that? Seriously... That's so dumb...

I will become a real hero some day! And I'll get you to-

There's no way I can smile anymore. I mean... My mom and dad got divorced. Mom cries every day, and I get bullied at my new school... There's no way I can smile in a world like that...

Then... Then I'll definitely become a real hero and make you smile!

...You're just lying again, aren't you?

No! This is my promise to you! That's why I want you to believe in me one more time!

A promise...?

That's right!

...That's so dumb.

And then he just runs off. Still, that explains a lot. A divorce that young must be tough on a kid.

You want to go train...right? I'll tag along.

Heh... Thanks, man. What I need to train this time is how to flirt with confidence.

Excuse me?

Let me make it clear that I'm serious about this. For the next show, I actually have a part without a mask as Hyoma Kiba, the guy who transforms into Raiga.

Does putting on some weird mask really count as "transformation"?

C'mon, that's not the important part! Anyway, the producers wanna target the female audience to boost attendance. That's why they decided to have an unmasked warrior appear, but the original actor couldn't make it, so I was chosen as a substitute. Seems like the Raiga director spoke up and said, "Why not use that kid?"

That must mean he thinks highly of your acting skills. That's great!

Still... The bar's been set high. The actor who plays Hyoma is a young guy with a lot of buzz. He's popular with both moms and young girls. If I'm gonna be his understudy, I need to learn how to act in a way that wins their hearts...

...And that's why you have to be charismatic and confident, huh.

But I don't know how to do that, and when I looked online, everyone said it's better to have a wingman.

And that means...?

Oh. Oh no.

It's Operation Babe Hunt.

All right... I guess we'll just have to do our best.

Now that's the Itsuki I know! Such encouraging words!

Now, where to do this...? Does Harajuku sound good to you?

Yeah, I expect there'd be a lot of girls there.

It's decided then. Let's break it up for now, come to Harajuku when you're ready!

So Captain Oblivious and a Sentai wannabe are going to try and pick up girls. This can only end well. :allears:

quote:

heeey where you at?
i'm waiting in front of anzu, so hurry up

Anzu, you say? Well, let's not keep the man waiting.

:siren: Touma in Leopard Print, Part 2 :siren:

That is so not you.

I know that... I'm trying to get in character. I can't just hit on random girls as my normal self. You better give this your all too. Got it?

And so we begin Operation Babe Hunt: Tokyo Edition. Let's see how they did today. :allears:

Why?

Wh-Why...? H-Hey, Itsuki!

We just thought that it'd be nice to have coffee with you.

Huh?

Is that not enough?

...Hmm, wouldn't say that. It's just, I don't really know you guys.

Why don't we exchange Topic IDs then? That'll let us get to know each other, and we can grab coffee another time.

Sure.

Ooh! Here, let's do that right now...

See ya!

That...went surprisingly well. Too well. I don't know if I like this brave new world where Operation Babe Hunt is a success.

Huh? Did I?

Riiiiiight... You're that kind of guy. I feel sorry for Tsubasa...

All right, let's move on to the next one.

How about that lady next? I'll make the move this time!

Good luck.

No.

I-Itsuki!

Then how about tea instead?

Teehee! I wasn't expecting that response... That was pretty funny!

Does that mean...?

Sure - is what I want to say, but I'm busy right now. Mind if we just exchange Topic IDs?

Are you serious!? Aw yeah!

Guys, I don't like watching my anime children be good at this. This isn't how this is supposed to go at all!

But after seeing how you interact with them, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Good.

H-Hey! Lemme try the next one!

Touma continued to do his best to speak with smoothness and confidence...

We talked to quite a few people. How're you feeling?

I get it now! To be a confident guy, you need the courage to face rejection! The guts to go the distance! And! The ability to "transform" into a different person than normal!

Touma Akagi's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening... Touma's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Grand Transformation!

Awww yeah! I totally got this! Just you watch... I will nail this at the next show!

Door of Transformation unlocks another SP skill for Touma. It's not *quite* as busted as Tsubasa's one last update, but it comes pretty close!

:siren: Touma in Leopard Print, Part 3 :siren:

What's up, Cain?

Why must a man who wishes to become a hero train his confidence by attempting to woo random ladies...?

T-Taking those kinds of steps are necessary for heroes in this world!

I-Is this acceptable?

Huh?

Is it truly acceptable to continue placing my faith in you? Truth be told, I am filled with naught but worry.

Did you seriously just say that out loud? There's nothing to worry about. It might not look it, but I do feel like I'm making progress.

Very well... Then I shall continue to watch over you for a while longer... You may be a fool, but you are not the type of man who would go back on your word with that boy.

Of course not.

That child, however... He somehow reminds me of you - especially the radiance of his Performa.

Y-You think so? Well, that's not important. I'll be heading out now.

A sea of neon colored people...except for a certain someone up front. Don't think we didn't notice you, kid.

Who shall I convert into a Genome Monster today!?

Nooooooo!

???: Hold it right there!

Pffffft Touma absolutely cannot pull that look off. I don't know if anyone could, frankly.

Wh-Who're you!?

I am the fangs of lightning that dash through the streets! My name is Hyoma Kiba!

Is everyone okay? How about you, ladies?

Squeeeeee!

Come at me, Genome Monster! I will protect the children's future and these beautiful ladies!

Squeeeeee!

Now, it's time to be entranced! Lightning Systems, Full Throttle! Transmute!

Squeeeeee!

Whooooaaa!

Okay Itsuki, let's not say anything we can't take back.

Yeah, I improvised so many lines, I'll probably get yelled at later... I guess hitting on those girls paid off though!

The reaction from the female audience was impressive. Some were even saying you were better than the regular actor.

I guess it was worth having you keep me company! I wonder if he was watching...

Oh, you mean that kid? I saw him at the edge of the audience. He was really engrossed in the show.

Heh... I see...

Now that you mentioned it, why're you so concerned about him?

Oh... About that...

You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Just because we're friends doesn't mean I need to know everything.

...No, it's not a secret or anything. You helped me out with a lot of stuff, so I want you to know this.

Around then, my parents ran off because they had more debt than they could handle. I was raised by my grandpa. I got bullied at school for that and lost faith in the world - as much as a kid could, anyway.

But then I saw this hero show on TV, and it's like...it gave me courage. It saved me. Every week, some nasty villain would show up, and every single time, they'd almost take the hero down... But the hero always stood up against the villains, without ever losing hope!

A hero has to be someone who can give courage and happiness to others. I wanna be someone like that for that kid.

You'll definitely be a hero. No doubt about it.

Yeah! Thanks, Itsuki!

Touma Akagi has grown as an entertainer and has become "Pro Understudy"! Touma acquired the special performance Gaia's Whisper!

Gaia's Whisper is kind of a counterpart to Tsubasa's Debut Smile. Where her skill is an absurd, cheap defensive buff, Touma's goes in the complete opposite direction. Gaia's Whisper is a combination of Tarukaja, Sukukaja, and Charge for 2 SP, giving you an attack boost, agility boost, and a 2.5x damage multiplier on your next physical attack. It's hard to beat when you need to gently caress someone's day up, but the increased cost to 2 SP means you'll be seeing it a lot less often. It's not bad, just more situational.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017
What do you MEAN Touma ain't rocking the leopard print how dare you sir

I will not stand for this libel

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I love that. You literally helped a girl to get senpai to notice her. :allears:

Also I have to disagree with you violently about Touma and that leopard print. Nope, he rocks that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Another vote for 'no Touma looks fly as hell'.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Well, debate about Touma's fashion aside, I do love the revelation of just why he got into sentai in the first place.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Artix posted:

Oh. Oh no.

It's Operation Babe Hunt.

Pretty much my exact reaction when I got to this part. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Tsubasa has a prerious soblem with Spoonerisms. :v:

Also this game continues to be great, news at eleven. :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun little note: You see the necklace... thing that Touma's leopard print costume (which I agree is cool as hell and wish I could have in real life) is wearing? It's a cow skull, specifically a bull. In the original games, Cain's epithet was "The Bull".

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

If that leopard print for Touma isn't an available costume for him I will be VERY disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jumping on the "Touma looks great in that leopard print" :bandwagon:.

Also, never saw the non-side story requests done, so that "Helping get senpai to notice me" one is pretty great. Never saw the Topic updates either, so Tsubasa's recent one after her last side story is amazing as well.

Glad to see that this Operation Babe Hunt went better than they usually do in Persona games...

I forget if this is the intermission that has one of my favorite side stories, so I guess I'll just wait for the next couple of updates to see if it is.

It's just a shame this game didn't catch on more since it's so good, but I guess the combination of Wii U, super specific Japanese entertainment focused JRPG combing two rather Japanese franchises, and the whole "censorship " controversy probably didn't help sales at all.

• Locked thread