Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Omobono posted:

X-Slayer attacks both trigger sessions and elemental immunities/repels/absorbs are ignored from the start in said session.

Wouldn't a party member chaining dekaja/sukunda force Matador to waste turns rebuffing himself in that case? 1 to 1 turn trades tend to be in the player's favour in this kind of games.

Most bigger bosses in SMT games tend to get multiple turns to balance your larger party size out, or more likely snowball your party wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

X-Slayer attacks both trigger sessions and elemental immunities/repels/absorbs are ignored from the start in said session.

Wouldn't a party member chaining dekaja/sukunda force Matador to waste turns rebuffing himself in that case? 1 to 1 turn trades tend to be in the player's favour in this kind of games.

Nocturne uses a system called "Press Turn" where you get a turn for every party member you have, consumed upon use, and you can also add a "half" turn by exploiting a weakness. The thing to understand though is that bosses get multiple turns (Matador gets two, for instance, letting him Dekunda away your debuffs and then go again).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omobono posted:

As other people have said, not only does Matador get two turns each round (at least), if he crits one of your party members or hits a weakness, he basically gets a free turn. He rarely has a problem re-casting Red Capote or using Dekunda.

At least he doesn't have Beast Eye; a skill that straight-up gives the enemy two extra turns, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arist posted:

Nocturne uses a system called "Press Turn" where you get a turn for every party member you have, consumed upon use, and you can also add a "half" turn by exploiting a weakness. The thing to understand though is that bosses get multiple turns (Matador gets two, for instance, letting him Dekunda away your debuffs and then go again).

The rub is that it goes both ways:
Enemies can get half-turns off your weaknesses as well.

Which can work out pretty badly in a game like DDS1/2, where you dont have the usual SMT luxury of picking and choosing and have set weaknesses for each character.

^^gently caress mot.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mot wasn't that bad; yeah, it took me a few tries to beat him, but you expect bosses in MegaTen games to push your poo poo in. Worse was when a random encounter enemy, IIRC Berith or Eligor, ended up with Beast Eye later on in the game. That was a surprise.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Just got done binging my way through this, and I have to say I just love the character design of pretty much everyone. Virion in particular is just fantastic :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So hey, things have been pretty quiet lately, and the reason is basically that I needed some time away from LP to recharge and play some stuff on my own time. So I did! I beat Trails of Cold Steel earlier today, it was real good (aside from the very very end, but that's an hour out of like, 50), and I'm going to get the next update put together later this week. Maybe Wed? Watch this space.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Woo! This means more screentime for Best Little Sister! :3:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Welcome back, everyone! It's been a little while since we checked in with our anime children, and boy do we have a special one today.

quote:

Hey, Itsuki! There's a favor I want to ask of you.
I'll be waiting in front of the Shibuya station. Hurry up!

Why, whatever could poor Ellie need? Let's head over right away.

But first, we have this poor fellow.

Hey, you! Have you seen a girl named Momoko around? She kinda spaces out a bit...

>Itsuki accepted the request Dating Difficulties.

Well, if you do, let me know...

I feel you, man. Getting stood up sucks. But you know who doesn't have that problem?

That's right, it's time for Itsuki to stretch those romance muscles. The Master of Love is officially on the case.

If I can help, I'll gladly help out.

R-Right. That's quite prudent of you. So...um... I-It's kind of awkward talking about it in the middle of the street...

...I know! The classroom set! There's a classroom filming set we always use. Let's go there!

quote:

I'm waiting at the classroom film set! You'd better hurry, Itsuki!

Who are we to keep a young lady waiting? Off to the set!

:siren: Read, Chat, Fall in Love, Part 1 :siren:

Um... Well...I-I... I-I need you to... *breath* To, um...go on a d-d-d...

*Itsuki's phone rings*

Ah. Sorry, I should check this.

quote:

Itsuki?
I assume that right about now, Ellie is blushing bright red and stuttering "D-D-D..." like a DJ.
Yes, she's doing exactly that.
I'll speak for our shy girl Ellie and explain your mission this time, okay?
You two...need to go on a date!
What?
Well, Ellie was in a bit of a pickle.
See, she's appearing in this TV drama called "Dandelion in Love."
But she doesn't get how a high-school girl who's in love with the idea of love feels.
So wouldn't the best way to figure that out be going on an actual date? That being said...
Good luck being her partner!

Uh, Ms. Maiko?

:allears:

D-D-D...

A date?

Er... Ms. Maiko just sent me a topic. What's all this about?

There's nothing "about" it! I-It's exactly as she must've put it! This is only to dial my character in, you hear!? If you get the wrong idea from this, I'll make you my next archery target!

Actually, will you even be able to help me train for this?

Ice cold, Ellie. I can't believe you're doubting Itsuki's romantic cred.

You're the one who called me to do this, though.

What, losing confidence, are we? I guess that's expected. You ARE new to the industry. I'll have to train you in the ways of Hollywood.

How does training me help you...?

H-Hey, Ellie?

You'd think you wouldn't have to go look at magazines to get date ideas in a place as busy as Shibuya, but sure, let's go along with this.

quote:

What're you doing, Itsuki? Hurry up and come where I am.
Where's that?
Didn't I tell you some place I can read magazines?
Why're we going there separately?
It'd be a real scandal if someone were to think we're on a real date, you know.
Anyway, I'll be waiting!

Anyway, off to the Hee-Ho Mart.

:siren: Read, Chat, Fall in Love, Part 2 :siren:

We're starting this date off at a convenience store...?

What's so weird about it? Everyone in my hometown in Saitama does it.

That's kind of hard to believe...

I'm not sure what she's showing Itsuki, but he's either horrified or speechless. I choose to believe the former.

Ituski, this jewelry's so cute! This says that they have a store in Shibuya, let's go check it out later!

...Sure.

What's with that warped idea of dates? You've never dated anyone before, have you, Ellie?

:thurman:

Wh-What's wrong with that!? It's just, there are no Hollywood men around that suit me!

Huh.

You're right. I wonder if she's biracial? She looks like a doll, I wish I could be like her.

...Hmph.

You sure stand out.

I'm half-Scandinavian, after all. They just think I'm some novelty, I'm used to it.

Where to?

Your girlfriend's saying she's thirsty. As the boyfriend, you need to sense what I'm getting at. It's all training!

So yeah, this quest is mostly just following Ellie around Shibuya. Ignoring that the only place we can actually go is Cafe Seiren, I thought Itsuki's question was quite appropriate. There's a lot of places we could have gone to get a drink, Ellie. :colbert:

quote:

Now that we've gathered intel, it's time to get neck-deep in my training! Next is a standard go-to place on dates!
I'll be waiting for you there! I'm so thirsty I feel like I'm going to become a dried up persimmon.
Wait, where are you?
Figuring that out is part of the training! You better not make me wait too long, okay?

Now this is a traditional place to go on a date. Come on, let's really get this training underway!

:siren: Read, Chat, Fall in Love, Part 3 :siren:

Ah yes, that traditional date drink, the rainbow-colored smoothie.

What's that?

Don't you know? This is a smoothie! And it's loaded with enzymes! It's a must-have for Hollywood celebrities!

...Is it good?

O-Of course it's good! It's popular in Hollywood, after all!

Because it's special... I mean, because Hollywood's the best!

I'm not sure I follow.

You know how I'm biracial? I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb no matter where I go. It's like I don't belong anywhere.

But if I become a Hollywood actress, I think things will be different. Like, once I becomes that famous, the world will make room for me - somewhere I actually belong.

So that's why...

I-I may have said a little too much! Anyway, Hollywood is the best of the best!

Say, Itsuki! I want to go to the jewelry place I saw earlier!

So off to Carabia, then. At least this one is as unambiguous as it gets.

quote:

You know where I mean by a jewelry store, right?
It's like I'm giving you this question for free!
Isn't this getting a bit off topic...?
Haha, I'm starting to have fun with this.

Aw, she's starting to get into it. Not that she'd ever admit that she had a good time with Itsuki of all people, but it's a start.

:siren: Read, Chat, Fall in Love, Part 4 :siren:

It's nice coming somewhere like this once in a while. There's this mature woman's atmosphere about it.

Wow, I didn't know they had a replica of it...

Something wrong?

This is right... We aren't doing any training at all... *sigh* I'm no good at this. I honestly don't get things like dating or romance at all.

Sorry, Itsuki... I dragged you around for nothing...

But it was fun. I got to see a new side of you that I didn't know about.

Huh?

I was thinking that, if you really were my girlfriend, every day woudl be new and exciting.

S-Say, Itsuki... Do you think we look like we're going out to the people around us right now?

Yeah, I think so.

...O-Oh, I see.

Hm?

If we look like boyfriend and girlfriend, then what I'm feeling right now must be...

Eleonora Yumizuru's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening! Eleonora's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Secret Tenderness!

Haha... I think I figured it out.

I see...

Yup. I think I can pull off my role as a high-school girl. And I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for everything today.

Like most of the first sidequests, this just unlocks an Ad-Lib attack for Ellie (although it's a drat good one, as we'll see next update).

I don't believe you've taught me anything, though.

By the heavens! Do you not recall how I've toiled day after day, teaching you the refined conduct of a true lady?

Have you now?

It seems I must more strictly teach you the proper etiquette befitting one's stature henceforth. Without my peerless tutelage, the high society you strive for will be naught but a dream within a dream.

I've said this time and again: it's not high society, it's Hollywood! Geez, Virion, get it right...

:siren: Read, Chat, Fall in Love, Part 5 :siren:

So... won't you choose me, please?

A cliffhanger? Those monsters. I want to complain to the director.

What'd you think? Wasn't my acting pretty realistic?

I can't wait for next week's episode.

Of course you can't! Everyone said the same too. Spending the time to train in person definitely paid off.

Still, that isn't all I'm capable of. There's more of my Hollywood story... To be continued!

Eleonora Yumizuru has grown as an entertainer and has become "Lovey-dovey"! She acquired the Ad-lib perfomance One-Sided Love!

Anyway, last thing for today is to grab Ellie's DLC outfit.

:siren: Tokyo Millennium Collection: Ellie :siren:

It's a maid outfit. What else do you really want me to say?

Yeah. That maid outfit really left and impression out there. I think you riled up the crowd the most today.

Naturally! I did do heavy research into how Hollywood supermodels walk, after all.

So in other words... What you showed off was how Hollywood maids walk?

You forgot to say "perfectly," Itsuki. Hehe...! Now I'll be ready if I ever get an offer from Hollywood for the role of a maid!

I...don't think that's quite how that works, Ellie.

You looked cute in that outfit out there too. I can't wait for the day you play a maid.

Hrgh...! A-Are you stupid or something, calling me cute!?

But, it was cute.

Th-That's not important! You stupid moron! Blyeeeah!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I wish she wasn't quite so focused on Hollywood, but that was pretty darn cute. At least she didn't try to make Itsuki buy her any jewelry.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Serifina posted:

At least she didn't try to make Itsuki buy her any jewelry.

Yeah, that whole date had potential to go sad places, but it turned out sweet.

Though if she's worried about standing out, good lord is Japan the wrong place for her to be. No wonder she's so obsessed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Daww, that was kind of sweet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Ellie's date is a standout moment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was worried about the date just turning into an endless tsundere moment but instead it was a pretty nice character mini-arc with a sweet ending. The whole thing made me like Ellie a lot more.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Damnit, Itsuki! Stop casually charming girls!

This will only make trouble in your future!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
He can't help it! He doesn't know he's doing it! He's the ultimate accidental ladykiller!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like how Itsuki straight up implied he wanted to go out with her and yet actually didn't mean to

That's impressively stupid, really.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Look, Itsuki's just following in the proud, romantically-impaired footsteps of his Lordly forebears. He wouldn't be worth his salt as a Fire Emblem protagonist without having at least three people crushing on him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Heavy Sigh posted:

Look, Itsuki's just following in the proud, romantically-impaired footsteps of his Lordly forebears. He wouldn't be worth his salt as a Fire Emblem protagonist without having at least three people crushing on him.

And of course, according to tradition, he has either not notice it, or pretend he doesn't notice it.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Alright, I expected to roll my eyes at that, but both characters (at least initially) committing to the 'training' premise did make it pretty sweet in the end. You're alright, Ellie. (Also you hang out with the fella who has the greatest goddamn stand persona Mirage design, which can't hurt.)

Heavy Sigh posted:

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And of course, according to tradition, he has either not notice it, or pretend he doesn't notice it.

Or, in one case, be implied to be homosexual (or at the very least wholly romantically uninterested in women).

vdate fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 25, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And then marry some random farmhand because he forgot to lock in a romance before mission 7.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

vdate posted:

Or, in one case, be implied to be homosexual (or at the very least wholly romantically uninterested in women).

more materials that's been coming out seems to imply that he is in fact gay

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Robindaybird posted:

more materials that's been coming out seems to imply that he is in fact gay

Roy?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Pretty sure they mean Ike/Soren.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artix posted:

Um... Well...I-I... I-I need you to... *breath* To, um...go on a d-d-d...

*Itsuki's phone rings*

Ah. Sorry, I should check this.

wow, rude

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So while these goofy sidequests are happening, Barry's still having his rock concert, right? I like to imagine that the party is putting off finishing this dungeon because they all just want Barry to have a good time. :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

RandallODim posted:

Pretty sure they mean Ike/Soren.

Almost certainly, since Ike is the only Lord who has only male paired endings (Soren and Ranulf), and Soren has at least one base conversation in RD locked behind him and Ike getting to A-rank in PoR—and I do recall that they were pretty blatantly gay in both games even with the translation trying to make Ike seem straighter. I don't know anything about more recent material, though; maybe something in his Heroes dialogue?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

Almost certainly, since Ike is the only Lord who has only male paired endings (Soren and Ranulf), and Soren has at least one base conversation in RD locked behind him and Ike getting to A-rank in PoR—and I do recall that they were pretty blatantly gay in both games even with the translation trying to make Ike seem straighter. I don't know anything about more recent material, though; maybe something in his Heroes dialogue?

Soren immediately asks where Ike is when you summon him in Heroes, but I think that might be it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Like Clockwork posted:

Considering he can still get female paired endings, he may very well be bisexual. Though my pessimism tells me that wasn't the intent. (Writers be like 'ooh yaoi this'll sell')

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Drakenel posted:

Considering he can still get female paired endings, he may very well be bisexual. Though my pessimism tells me that wasn't the intent. (Writers be like 'ooh yaoi this'll sell')

He can't though? He either goes off alone or with Soren/Ranulf, there's no one else Ike has a paired ending with.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

hopeandjoy posted:

He can't though? He either goes off alone or with Soren/Ranulf, there's no one else Ike has a paired ending with.

Really? I... could've sworn he did. Huh. Weird. Then again, it's been a LONG time since I've played the games.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Drakenel posted:

'Ooh yaoi this'll sell' lacks something as an explanation - it was subtle enough that I wasn't really sure if it was the case myself (hence my qualifying the original statement). I don't know that you jack subtlety to maximum when you're pandering.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A lot of the Ike/Soren stuff is up to viewer interpretation by design, but he did leave a distant descendant (Priam) in Awakening.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

vdate posted:

'Ooh yaoi this'll sell' lacks something as an explanation - it was subtle enough that I wasn't really sure if it was the case myself (hence my qualifying the original statement). I don't know that you jack subtlety to maximum when you're pandering.

I... wouldn't call it 'maximum' subtlety considering how common an interpretation it is.

Then again, I've already proved I don't remember poo poo about those two games, so the hell do I know? I suppose it doesn't matter too much in the end. Ike was still probably one of the better FE protagonists for being blunt without being dumb. I recall the second game of him nearly telling the green haired kid that he was going to die if he decided to fight him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Materant posted:

A lot of the Ike/Soren stuff is up to viewer interpretation by design, but he did leave a distant descendant (Priam) in Awakening.

My headcanon is that he's actually descended from Mist. Still shares Ike's blood.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well Greil was apparently a cool enough dude that having his blood was a good thing in and of itself, so I'll buy it.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
You know, I just realized what was bugging me about Fates: no official blue haired lord. Sure, Corrin can be made with blue hair, but he/she is the player avatar so that's kinda cheating

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

glocknar posted:

You know, I just realized what was bugging me about Fates: no official blue haired lord. Sure, Corrin can be made with blue hair, but he/she is the player avatar so that's kinda cheating

Gaiden/Echoes. Thracia. Binding Blade. Sacred Stones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gaiden/Echoes. Thracia. Binding Blade. Sacred Stones.

Alm used to be a blue-haired lord! Does it still count though now that he's green for the modern era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Isn't there less of a distinction between blue and green in Japan least in language?

• Locked thread