Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

throw to first drat IT posted:

I guess I managed to miss it somehow, what's the penalty for dying repeatedly because you are bad?

Well you lose your last salt pile forever, obviously, but the cleric who drags your body back to your last sanctuary/shrine also takes some of your gold as payment. Also, if you die to fall damage or a DOT or whatever, as opposed to a monster, your salt pile turns into a monster called a Saltbat that you have to kill to get your salt back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I guess I managed to miss it somehow, what's the penalty for dying repeatedly because you are bad?

I've not discussed it because I've not died yet. :shobon:

Which surprised me, because I figured I would have died at least once by now. In case it doesn't happen for a while, your salt becomes claimed by the enemy that killed you (or becomes a bat if you died to something like gravity) and you need to kill that enemy to reclaim it. Gold is not lost but you lose 10% of your current total with each death.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I feel a strange combination of gladdened and thwarted that you're now rolling with the exact gear setup I planned on recording an LP of this game with (leather armor, battle axe, Teuthis shield). I was looking forward to rocking that "local baron's henchman" look.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jeedy Jay posted:

I feel a strange combination of gladdened and thwarted that you're now rolling with the exact gear setup I planned on recording an LP of this game with (leather armor, battle axe, Teuthis shield). I was looking forward to rocking that "local baron's henchman" look.

Well don't get too attached, that look isn't going to last for long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speedball posted:

I went with the poison guys as my covenant once. The poison...wasn't great against a lot of enemies. They also specialize in a lot of dexterity weapons, though, at least.

The poison guys are probably the best covenant in my experience, actually, for anything that is capable of taking damage from poison, especially any boss capable of that, there's just a particular reason why.

Poison damage stacks. The more poisoned you, or an enemy gets, the faster you lose health. This isn't super obvious but if you eat lots of attacks from cytoplasms you can see it.

You might think this is useless, however (spoilered because it might ruin the game for you) one thing you can gain access to with the woodswraiths is free poison throwing knives

Which means you can fight any boss with, say, 75 poison knives to throw at them which basically takes out about two thirds of their health for free.

Enemies may be resistant to poison, but they are not really balanced for you having that much poison.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 12, 2017

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Well don't get too attached, that look isn't going to last for long.

Oh, I won't. You seem to be going for a "use ALL the styles" playthrough.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

I mean is that something that's in this game or are we just naming stuff we see in our nightmares? Because Dark Souls also doesn't feature everyone is snakes
You're thinking of Bloodborne. :v:

Examining the skill tree, I have to ask: are all of those roughly equivalent, or is one the designated 'pro-strats only' path? Besides using the oar the entire game, I mean.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Str and magic are the easy mode paths. Dex has some good stuff but most of it is garbage. Wisdom is mostly to support dex and str.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

In this episode, we die.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Probably my favorite area in the game.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Genocyber, you are a super under rated LPer. The Bloodborne LP and now this one have made my post surgery sit around and do nothing days much easier to bear. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Man, I want Salt and Vinegar chips :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dang, you turned the Tree of Men into a corpse faster than I thought possible.

I love the concept of the Tree of Men. And its name. It's a torture machine come to life with the power of hate!

The Scarecrow thing still has some pretty intimidating dialogue.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Main use i found for whips is that raising the whip skill only raises willpower instead of dex or str. So it gives a melee option to mages who want to min max a bit. Of course why youd want to min max in a single player game is the real question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seconding that I really enjoy your LPs. I haven't finished this game as I find its... rather erratic difficulty a bit tiresome, I'm glad you're showing it off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Apologies for the slight delay, today. Episode is currently processing and should be up soon.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I really hate those teleporting skeleton thingies and I instantly recognized stopping to heal and then dying when one more swing would do it because I've done it way too much.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ive done a build on pretty much everything but pure wisdom so far and havent really found an easy way to deal with the skeletons. Except STR who can just one shot them and poise through the first attack.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Probably my favorite area in the game.

Okay catching up, two things: first, what is 'proc'? You used it to refer to the poison effect.

Second, they're 'salt and vinegar crisps' not 'salted vinegar chips' you heathen, us denizens of the sceptered isle take such misapplication of our cuisine to heart

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Okay catching up, two things: first, what is 'proc'? You used it to refer to the poison effect.

Second, they're 'salt and vinegar crisps' not 'salted vinegar chips' you heathen, us denizens of the sceptered isle take such misapplication of our cuisine to heart

Proc as in "cause to happen" e.g. you deal enough poison damage and you proc the actual poison status effect.

Excuse me, potato chips were invented in American you scoundrel. [citation needed] And chips sounds better than crisps. :colbert:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

'Proc' is a gaming term that had its origins in MUDs, it basically means 'an effect that triggers under certain conditions.' e:f,b

Also, if anyone wants to see exactly how bad those two bosses are with bludgeoning, Highwang's run (which is also entertaining) is an oar run so he had to slog through that.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Genocyber posted:

Apologies for the slight delay, today. Episode is currently processing and should be up soon.

While I still remember this, yeah, thanks for this LP. It's cool. I also watched your RE7 stream and it was good showing of the game, despite you never figuring out where bullets go.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Proc is generally agreed to be short for "programmed random occurrence" and is a term used interchangeably for the chance for an effect to activate or for when an effect does activate. Example: "the buff on this armor has a 20% chance to proc". Or "I can't believe that critical hit procced".

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

While I still remember this, yeah, thanks for this LP. It's cool. I also watched your RE7 stream and it was good showing of the game, despite you never figuring out where bullets go.

I haven't played it yet so I'm only guessing, but... in the gun?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry for the missed Friday update, although I'm now using it an excuse to stay one update ahead which should prevent that from occurring in the future.

Anyway, today we have a pretty nifty-looking area with a hair-pullingly annoying enemy type.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Seriously, gently caress Angsty Bones. What the hell were they thinking?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Mayor Mike Haggar the Horrible's Carvern

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The poison guys are probably the best covenant in my experience, actually, for anything that is capable of taking damage from poison, especially any boss capable of that, there's just a particular reason why.

Poison damage stacks. The more poisoned you, or an enemy gets, the faster you lose health. This isn't super obvious but if you eat lots of attacks from cytoplasms you can see it.

You might think this is useless, however (spoilered because it might ruin the game for you) one thing you can gain access to with the woodswraiths is free poison throwing knives

Which means you can fight any boss with, say, 75 poison knives to throw at them which basically takes out about two thirds of their health for free.

Enemies may be resistant to poison, but they are not really balanced for you having that much poison.

Tried this and I can confirm: I threw a whole bunch of poison knives at an iron giant and took that sucker down without much trouble. The problem wasn't the poison, I just wasn't poisoning ENOUGH.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The secret to the disemboweled husk fight is to just wear tons of fire resist like the blacksmith set.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time to visit the land of stink.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Was the Mighty Boosh just not very popular in (I'm assuming you're in) America? I couldn't go one day in high school without someone saying "ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?"

To make it clear Alde Griggs is a reference to Old Gregg from that show.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spudd posted:

Was the Mighty Boosh just not very popular in (I'm assuming you're in) America? I couldn't go one day in high school without someone saying "ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?"

Never heard of that so I'd guess yes.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
"Boatman". "Batman". Drop the "O" and get an angsty super hero.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blacksuit posted:

"Boatman". "Batman". Drop the "O" and get an angsty super hero.

That's a real dumb joke. I defend my inability to notice it. :colbert:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spudd posted:

Was the Mighty Boosh just not very popular in (I'm assuming you're in) America?
I used to watch that show and I still wouldn't recognize any reference that wasn't to The Hitcher. It's not really on our pop culture radar.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Anime Reference posted:

I used to watch that show and I still wouldn't recognize any reference that wasn't to The Hitcher. It's not really on our pop culture radar.

Yeah that's fair, here in Australia British 'weird' comedy is still on repeat during the day. I do love his reference in this game though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Spudd posted:

There's also a chest hiding behind Mr. Griggs that I didn't see you grab.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

There's also a chest hiding behind Mr. Griggs that I didn't see you grab.

Don't be surprised if I miss a few things here or there in this part of the game. I'm much less familiar with it than I am with everything pre-Hall. I'll try and remember to include it when I do backtracky stuff.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Genocyber posted:

Don't be surprised if I miss a few things here or there in this part of the game. I'm much less familiar with it than I am with everything pre-Hall. I'll try and remember to include it when I do backtracky stuff.

No worries, only reason I knew about it was from just watching Highwang's LP a few minutes before :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Well, that was a reference that... exists. Goddamnit, Alde Griggs.

Wanted to tell you, I am really enjoying these videos. Perfect LP for me, since this is the sort of game I love everything about, except that I know I wouldn't much like to play it. Castlevania is often too hard for me, and the level of precision these souls-style games take is at least Castlevania at it's hardest seemingly all the time. You also have a really soothing voice, so you've joined a handful of LPers I can listen to to relax. Keep it up!

• Locked thread