Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For someone who plays both castlevania and souls games, these arent all that hard. As long as you stick to a good build these are much much easier than most castlevania games. What people seem to forget is that souls games are often much about using the right strategy and gear as much as it is skill. You can make up for bad gear picks with skill and you can also make up for the lack of skill by hard countering the enemy with the right gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I never got that impression from all the boasting I've heard, but if what you say is true I may actually pick this up when I'm able. I just really love the atmosphere.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I never got that impression from all the boasting I've heard, but if what you say is true I may actually pick this up when I'm able. I just really love the atmosphere.

Yeah Iretep makes a good point. The Souls games and this by extension are action RPGs, not just action games, and that means how you build your character will greatly affect the difficulty. In this, for example, go whole hog into strength and use a big heavy weapon and you'll rarely have much trouble.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Genocyber posted:

In this, for example, go whole hog into strength and use a big heavy weapon and you'll rarely have much trouble.
And learn to roll effectively for those instances when you can't just ragdoll dudes with your big ol' warhammer. This will probably end up being the tricky part for people who feel bad at games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another double boss-a-reeno. Goes pretty smoothy thanks to our :rock:JAWS OF DEATH:rock:, though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The boss names are weirdly a highlight of the game, I mean 'The Unspeakable Deep' is just a loving amazing intro boss

I feel like the best way to make this game stand out would be to really boost the specific resistances on everything and couple that with infinite grey pearls, force you to vary your fighting style instead of wearing heavy armour and taking a hammer to everything

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

The Boss names and the lore behind them all are the things that are really getting me. This is like a pathfinder adventure I wrote that was all gothic horror that was secretly lovecraftian horror. Strange otherworldly monumental places that shouldn't be. The long dead and accursed inhabitants of entire civilizations consumed by darkness and locked away in the basements of old townhouses in the city. Lots of overwrought, really strange, and imposing villains. I could only hope to have come up with something like the Tree of Men though. Brilliant! Macabre! I really love this game's aesthetic. It's everything that I want!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I've had this game on my wish list for a while, but after watching this LP I think it's a good idea that I didn't buy it because I really doubt I would much enjoy playing it. Metroidvania-style games are really not my thing at all, although I do appreciate what they achieved in transforming a Souls-style game into 2D while still adding some original touches.

I am, however, enjoying the style and content of this LP very much, so please keep it up! :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I keep wanting to raise criticisms about the art style, but every quibble dies in my throat remembering that two freakin' people put all this together. For something with such consistent cohesiveness, variety, and direction, it's a wonderful piece of work that is more than welcome to continue looking like something out of my sorely abused 10th grade algebra notebook.

That style, combined with the anything-goes mashup environment and exaggeratedly gruesome enemies, all of whom exude this "hell yeah that sounds rad, draw it and put it in" essence, really do help deliver this nostalgic D&D vibe to the whole thing, like you played after school back in the day.

This is also helped by the fact that Genocyber, who possesses the rare ability to read aloud dialogue in an LP in a manner that actually complements the mood, is clearly a veteran DM...or drat well oughtta get on that if not. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Two bosses enter, neither leave because they're both easy as poo poo.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You weren't kidding about glass cannons. She went down fast, but every time she hit you she drat near juggled you.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
itd have gone faster if he used a pure slash weapon instead of a mixed blunt weapon.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I guess if you're going to be that fragile, it's a good idea to live in a castle that nobody can get to anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another area. Not much else to say.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Another area. Not much else to say.

I have to both agree and disagree with you on the temple being a bit ... bland... it isn't that it is bland, so much as it is a retread of things we have already seen. It seems more like a bit of padding between areas, while also being a bit of a breather level. It isn't very large at all, and seems mostly to be an area where all the paths converge together. The boss looked like something you could have comfortably faced off against much earlier then you did, and there wasn't really anything in the way of powerful loot from what I saw in the video. No really incredible weapon that you find you MUST beeline to on your next play through.

Really it felt more like a closing of the previous areas, and the opening to the new one then an area in it's own right.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Everyone's favorite area! And maybe something else...

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That is a hecking esoteric creed.

Also the Pitchwoods may only have the two enemy types, but the fact that they are both horrific and strange takes on the concept of the Unicorn has basically cemented them as my to favorite enemies in this game, based on sheer originality. Like, I'm definitely making those Unicorn Knights into D20 monsters for my next game.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do like that they just threw Gravelord Nito in there and it's all just oh hey this guy! Remember him? Well he's a chump now, move on

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The great sword you get from nito is arugably the best one in the game since it has the fast perk on it. Meaning you can R1 spam things to death even faster. Also my theory is that betrayers covenent is there to make dex builds viable since thats the main way to get around the whole slash resistance thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Area with a cool theme, even if it's a bit lacking in color.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I didn't mind the Witch on the Lake. It was nice to see something that could kill me (since most proper builds are doing massive amounts of damage) and wasn't a unicorn or gravity.

I'm forgiving of the whole lore/story issues this game has because the last optional boss had a piece of lore that made me far more interested in the game lore.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I think the problem with the Witch of the Lake is that she really is disproportionately hard compared to the rest of the game. Other than a few outliers most of the bosses in this game are fairly easy and the difficulty seems to trend pretty strongly downward as the game progresses; there's been quite a few bosses in the LP that I completely forgot were even in the game, because on my playthrough I just facerolled them with no trouble on my first attempt -- not because I'm good at video games but because they just didn't put up much of a fight. The Witch of the Lake is a spike in difficulty that is both massive and isolated. If there had been more bosses that were as dangerous and unforgiving she wouldn't have been such a nasty shock.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's all folks.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im not really sure why highwang and you both say the gravewalkers are dangerous. They die to pistols fast for a dex build, they die to anything a STR build throws at them and they die fast to mages. I wouldnt be suprised if they die fast to wisdom builds too. Of course ive never actually seen them attack due to this whole dying fast thing so maybe thats the issue i have.
Also i love how the nameless god is designed. Resistant to everything but blunt. So basically a gently caress you to elemental mages that didnt go betrayers covenant. Of course also a complete joke for STR builds because you just got the best greatmace in the game and the best farming spot for the 100k to transmute it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I'm happy to finally hear another person pronounce Smough the way the series's use of European English would suggest it's pronounced?

Regardless, it's been fun. Thank you for another entertaining LP, ma'am.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, it was fun. Definitely intending to pick that up. Though, which one is best between pc and psvita?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Humm, the only thing I can think of to say is that you were really close to having a good joke in the title if you had called it a really good 11/17.
If you don't get the joke, sodium is Element number 11, and Chlorine is Element number 17. Put them together and you get Sodium Chloride. Or in other words, Salt.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for LPing this, as it would probably have flown under my radar, since I wasn't very attracted by the art style but in the end the game was very good and you proved that the judgement was hasty. I really liked the imagery present in the last level, and it was a nice iteration of the concept of purgatory. I really wish there were more stuff to make the story cohesive in this regard, but I really enjoyed the reveal about where the island actually is and these last few boss designs :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iretep posted:

Im not really sure why highwang and you both say the gravewalkers are dangerous. They die to pistols fast for a dex build, they die to anything a STR build throws at them and they die fast to mages. I wouldnt be suprised if they die fast to wisdom builds too. Of course ive never actually seen them attack due to this whole dying fast thing so maybe thats the issue i have.
Also i love how the nameless god is designed. Resistant to everything but blunt. So basically a gently caress you to elemental mages that didnt go betrayers covenant. Of course also a complete joke for STR builds because you just got the best greatmace in the game and the best farming spot for the 100k to transmute it.

Yeah as we saw in the update they're complete chumps if you can take them out quick, it's if you can't that they can be surprisingly nasty with those magic missiles of theirs.

KieranWalker posted:

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I'm happy to finally hear another person pronounce Smough the way the series's use of European English would suggest it's pronounced?

Regardless, it's been fun. Thank you for another entertaining LP, ma'am.

I just pronounce it "smoff" because Gough and is pronounced "goff" and so that would make sense wrt consistency.

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, it was fun. Definitely intending to pick that up. Though, which one is best between pc and psvita?

I've only played on PC and PS4 and both are identical although I remember the PS4 version having some audio balancing issues (sound effects being way louder than the music even at their lowest volume) that I'm not sure if they ever fixed. Dunno how good/bad the Vita port is but I believe it's cross-buy with the PS4 one.

Zebrin posted:

Humm, the only thing I can think of to say is that you were really close to having a good joke in the title if you had called it a really good 11/17.
If you don't get the joke, sodium is Element number 11, and Chlorine is Element number 17. Put them together and you get Sodium Chloride. Or in other words, Salt.

I was going for a high blood pressure joke but that's pretty good.

mortons stork posted:

Thanks for LPing this, as it would probably have flown under my radar, since I wasn't very attracted by the art style but in the end the game was very good and you proved that the judgement was hasty. I really liked the imagery present in the last level, and it was a nice iteration of the concept of purgatory. I really wish there were more stuff to make the story cohesive in this regard, but I really enjoyed the reveal about where the island actually is and these last few boss designs :)

Yeah the game has a lot more variety in its environments than the beginning of the game would suggest, and its decision to go with a muted color scheme is a lot more fitting once you know it's meant to be a purgatory place. If they ever do another game in this style it'd be nice to see them go with a brighter color scheme; the very brief instance of color we get with the Survival ending suggests that would look quite nice.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

I was going for a high blood pressure joke but that's pretty good.

Oh poo poo I just got it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love how there's one extra-evil Creed for tarnishing other sanctuaries. Extra power, at the price of having to do all sorts of hard stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The ending(s) make the logo of the game make more sense now. The way we see it throughout the game it looks like a tree without leaves, trees give nourishment and shelter (salt & sanctuary).

But if the world is upside down, that would make what we thought was a tree the roots. And much like the Nameless God, roots absorb.

• Locked thread