Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Black Sails Season 4 (Final Season!) premiered Sunday Jan 29th.

From Starz:

quote:

Hundreds of British soldiers lie dead in a forest… the Royal Navy sails back to England… the West Indies are now a war zone, and the shores of New Providence Island have never been bloodier. With the help of Eleanor Guthrie, Woodes Rogers transforms Nassau into a fortress, as Captain Flint amasses a fleet of unprecedented strength, hoping to strike the final blow and reshape the world forever.

Cast:

Captain Flint, Toby Stephens

A former Naval officer, disgraced and betrayed, Captain Flint now leads an alliance of pirates and slaves intent on overthrowing the New World. Lost a good coat.

John Silver, Luke Arnold

Once an outcast, now the stuff of legend, thanks to the propagandist talents of Billy Bones. But as the costs of Flint’s war continue to mount, Silver must decide once and for all if he intends to assume the mantle of Pirate King... or bury it in the ground forever.

Eleanor Guthrie, Hannah New

A target for anger and suspicion following the death of Charles Vane, Eleanor Guthrie now sits behind the throne, in deference to Woodes Rogers. But as his war with the pirates threatens to consume him entirely, she will once again face an impossible choice, if there is to be any hope for their future.

Max, Jessica Parker Kennedy

A former prostitute, now a key player in Woodes Rogers’ plan to quell the pirate threat. But can she bring peace to Nassau before the perils of war and ideology consume them all?

Billy Bones, Tom Hopper

Once the boatswain on Flint’s ship, now the leader of the pirate resistance on Nassau. But holding his own against Rogers’ redcoat allies has taken its toll... and given Billy a taste of authority he may not be so ready to relinquish.

Jack Rackham, Toby Schmitz

Rescued from certain death, now intent on repaying the favor, Rackham teams with Edward Teach to bring Charles Vanes’ executioners to account. But when Woodes Rogers’ regime proves more resilient than believed, Rackham is forced to put everything on the table... his life, his loves, and his legacy... if he hopes to one day balance the scales.

Anne Bonny, Clara Paget

A beacon of loyalty in a sea of shifting alliances, Bonny must once again risk everything to deliver herself and Jack Rackham from a trap of their own making.

Edward Teach, Ray Stevenson

One of the most notorious pirates to have ever lived, Edward Teach, aka BLACKBEARD, is a reluctant adherent to Flint’s plan to retake Nassau, as he seeks one thing, and one thing only: Eleanor Guthrie’s head on a pike.

Madi, Zethu Dlomo

Raised in exile by her father, Mr. Scott, Madi is now the leader of a growing slave rebellion and a key ally for Captain Flint... if she can somehow find a way to trust him.

Woodes Rogers, Luke Roberts

Backed into a corner, Woodes Rogers will stop at nothing to defeat Captain Flint and restore civilization to the West Indies... even if it costs him his soul...

WHAT"S NEW
Billy's Beard Crew:

**UPDATES**

gently caress y'all and a bottle of rum look how loving cool I am with these shades that are not historically accurate but who gives a gently caress, I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmfX8QtBfA

**BY POPULAR DEMAND**

COAT

The Coat. The Coat was a great Coat but it's gone so get over it.

ARMS

Billy's Arms. These impressive appendages can climb the shrouds or lift 18-pound cannonballs all day, crush your skull and/or gently caress you if you're into that.

THE DEAD :rip:

Charles Vane.
A good pirate and a huge rear end in a top hat. Died by hanging, left in a gibbet.

Randall.
Once the boatswain on the Walrus, a good beating left him mentally impaired, leaving him as the ship's cook until losing the job to John Silver. Bitter with the loss of status, he assists John Silver until a horrible accident while the crew careened the ship. Irresponsible crewmen, with too many trips to the gently caress Tent, failed to properly secure the ship as it was tipped on its side for cleaning, and as the ropes failed and the ship started to roll back upright, the intrepid and heroic Randall rushed in to save a cat from a horrific demise, only to have his leg crushed in the process: amputation followed.

Later, our one-legged hero Randall discovers John Silver's secret of the theft of the ship's log that would lead all to the Spanish treasure, and in exchange for his silence Silver promises that he will take care of Randall. Silver later discovered our hero is faking his mental debility all along, thus sharing in all the pirate crew's rewards but none of the danger. In response, Randall farts.

Randall was tragically killed by Charles Vane and his men, may they rot in hell, when they boarded and captured Flint's ship when it was moored off Charles Town.

Dufresne
Black Sails' only confirmed vampire. After hundreds of years of nighttime bloodshed and carnal desire, Dufresne decided to try something new and join Captain Flint as an accountant, and found he could count doubloons as easily as the skulls of his victims. Later elected Quartermaster, he rebelled against Flint but unexpectedly died to John Silver's peg-leg, which may have been made of actual silver and thus an unexpected mortal weapon against Dufresne, who would've had nothing to fear from Silver (despite the name) otherwise.

Benjamin Hornigold
Once a pirate, then pirate hunter, Benjamin Hornigold enjoyed the finest weed of the seven seas, and may have been a hobbit. He was killed.

Also, :rip::rip:

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene in the house where Billy and Flint were arguing I was distracted by the return of Billy's MASSIVE ARMS.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

PlushCow posted:

One of the most notorious pirates to have ever lived, Edward Teach, aka BLACKBEARD, is a reluctant adherent to Flint’s plan to retake Nassau, as he seeks one thing, and one thing only: Eleanor Guthrie’s head on a pike.

This is all I'm seeking from this season as well.

Maybe some Anne kicking rear end too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Op needs to include Billy's Forearms.

Pretty sure it's SOP for Blacksails thread by now

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Liked the Genesis quote at the start with the underwater shot too, though yea Silver surfacing was shot drat well too, felt my chest tightening with that dull heartbeat sfx.

Otherwise, all ready to see some deaths deaths deaths and see it all tie to Treasure Island. It's been a p cool journey and it feels good to know this is the last run.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

OP is also missing TheCoat.gif what the hell yo

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Still the best opening credits sequence in TV today. Always watch it start to finish and that loving HURDY GURDY just gets me pumped for some sweet pirate drama.

Also those underwater shots were spectacular.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

RIP The Coat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Needs an RIP section considering it's the last season.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Last Season? :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

Last Season? :smith:

Well, it is kind of realistic. Pirate careers didn't exactly last very long.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Premiere was awesome. Show still awesome. Awaiting more awesomeness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is my first year without Starz since this show started. I'm gonna hate not being able to watch along with everyone. I'm torn between reading along with the thread or putting everything off until I can binge it all at once.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It'll be over soon enough I'd just wait, this thread usually doesn't move very fast.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Good first episode.

I wonder though was it always in the plan for whatever ship got destroyed to be destroyed? I thought I read that one of their prop ships burned down last year.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rocksicles posted:

Op needs to include Billy's Forearms.

Pretty sure it's SOP for Blacksails thread by now

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Rocksicles posted:

Needs an RIP section considering it's the last season.

UGH ok I've updated the OP hope you are happy :argh:

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is my first year without Starz since this show started. I'm gonna hate not being able to watch along with everyone. I'm torn between reading along with the thread or putting everything off until I can binge it all at once.

I'd just wait and binge. Also I'm pretty sure if you have Amazon Prime you can add Starz for an added monthly fee if you didn't want to wait, but if Black Sails is all you'd watch on it I'd just wait. Wikipedia is telling me this season is 10 episodes long, so 9 more weeks to go.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I'd just wait and binge. Also I'm pretty sure if you have Amazon Prime you can add Starz for an added monthly fee if you didn't want to wait, but if Black Sails is all you'd watch on it I'd just wait. Wikipedia is telling me this season is 10 episodes long, so 9 more weeks to go.

May just wait till its in its last month and buy the subscription for a month. See you all in about 5 weeks then!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

PlushCow posted:

Now that is how you do an OP

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PlushCow posted:

OP gud, tho missing two more RIPs by my count if you feel like adding it - Benjamin Hornigold and Dufrense. In Eleanor's words, gonna miss that old lady and Patrick Lyster acted him p well - plus killed by Flint personally so... And Dufrense, his Quartermaster, became well...rather a shitbird, but still his death was kinda the start of Long John Silver's legend.

But...I am happy even so. :glomp: In your own time and if you like, I can write it up and you just copypasta.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
drat that was such a fine coat. :perfect:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PaybackJack posted:

drat that was such a fine coat. :perfect:

Nothing even comes close. Sure, Blackbeard's coat might have a lot more utility with those pistol holsters but...ain't none of 'em got half the style.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

CrazyLoon posted:

OP gud, tho missing two more RIPs by my count if you feel like adding it - Benjamin Hornigold and Dufrense. In Eleanor's words, gonna miss that old lady and Patrick Lyster acted him p well - plus killed by Flint personally so... And Dufrense, his Quartermaster, became well...rather a shitbird, but still his death was kinda the start of Long John Silver's legend.

But...I am happy even so. :glomp: In your own time and if you like, I can write it up and you just copypasta.

Done.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Top shelf. Try harder next season... :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Terrific! Love it!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh poo poo i was just googling when this came back and saw it already came! woo

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Billy is sort of an idiot this episode.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
It does make sense he'd do what he did. He never was onboard the whole slaves & pirates shtick in S3, and that + newfound authority definitely would lead to him insisting on the welfare of his own men over that of the slaves.

Even so, yea...failed his own 'none of us are safe, until we are all safe' creed with this bonehead move, and right as the militia is bearing down on them all too. But hating Flint can cause that, lol.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man Billy went a bit sideways there. Talk about unexpected.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Billy is sort of an idiot this episode.

Eh... Billy has a lot of grudges against Flint.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That was a great end to the stand off but it's still sad to see them fight amongst themselves.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Eh... Billy has a lot of grudges against Flint.

Yeah but the militia are like 500 yards away at the time he pulls this.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CODChimera posted:

That was a great end to the stand off but it's still sad to see them fight amongst themselves.

It reminded me of Flint's appraisal of him in S3: "We all face certain death with our own kind of lie. Billy's is that he thinks he can fight his way out of trouble." Wish he'd remember that before yapping more threats at him lol, poor choice that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we add the the Eleanor's OP

Huge daddy issues, suitors must own an Island or she's not having it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Not really getting into this season. Is it just me or anyone else feel this way?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Billy what the gently caress mate!!

Does anyone remember back in season 1 when Flint killed Gates, was it Billy who came in and found them? Like after all the poo poo over the show between them I can totally understand that Billy has just had enough of Flint's poo poo time and time again.

Holyshoot posted:

Not really getting into this season. Is it just me or anyone else feel this way?

Eh I can see some anticlimatic feelings coming on, since this season the last, and we already know how some of it must end since it leads into Treasure Island. Except I can't remember Treasure Island for poo poo so other than remembering some names of who won't die I am enjoying it. The whole Treasure Island bent was really cool initially but it does limit them on story lines keeping to it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I've always felt a little underwhelmed by the first half of each Black Sails season, but the latter half and especially the finales typically make up for it. But this season doesn't feel very climactic, i agree. It shouldn't be dragging in the way that it is, with only 6 episodes left.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

8 episodes. And yeah, I am with the dragging feeling, hopefully its just the lit fuse and poo poo starts exploding soon.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

PlushCow posted:

Billy what the gently caress mate!!

Does anyone remember back in season 1 when Flint killed Gates, was it Billy who came in and found them? Like after all the poo poo over the show between them I can totally understand that Billy has just had enough of Flint's poo poo time and time again.

Eh I can see some anticlimatic feelings coming on, since this season the last, and we already know how some of it must end since it leads into Treasure Island. Except I can't remember Treasure Island for poo poo so other than remembering some names of who won't die I am enjoying it. The whole Treasure Island bent was really cool initially but it does limit them on story lines keeping to it.

Flint threw Billy from the ship in the middle of a storm. Silver was the one who found Flint w/ Gates. Billy actually attacking the other guys was more surprising to me than him threatening it. Flint also took a couple of really hard hits from the USS Billy Guns, he should be dead.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think Flint threw Bill from the ship.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
In the convo between them, it seemed as if Flint may have let go of his hand at the time, though definitely not intentionally. Billy did put it aside when he'd returned, but yeah...both that and considering Flint was even the reason as to why both of them were dawdling out there due to asking about the letter he had found, and then finding out Flint had killed Gates,...all that poo poo pissed him off with good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Flint didn't hold on to Billy, but Billy admits he has no way of knowing whether Flint let him go, or Flint simply couldn't hold on.

• Locked thread