Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

Crap now what, this filled the role of Spartacus for me and now its over. Is there another historical fantasy show in the pipeline other than that white princess thing?

just watch it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I think it was basically a minimum-security prison colony in Savannah that the upper-class in Britain used to send away people that they couldn't have in public, like their gay son who had unacceptable ideas about pardoning the pirates of Nassau. I imagine it's a mix of well-to-do political prisoners and crazy/gay relatives of wealthy families.

Oh I knew that, I was just wondering if that bag of money was for buying Flint into the prison, or buying Thomas out.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Phenotype posted:

I think it was basically a minimum-security prison colony in Savannah that the upper-class in Britain used to send away people that they couldn't have in public, like their gay son who had unacceptable ideas about pardoning the pirates of Nassau. I imagine it's a mix of well-to-do political prisoners and crazy/gay relatives of wealthy families.

It sounds like a pleasant fiction, but yeah.

Also, I would have doubled down on the prison camp ending. Having Long John slowly rejected, dejected, and showing up, with Flint and Thomas running out and they all dance in the rain. Because, why not.

Roman Reigns posted:

Oh I knew that, I was just wondering if that bag of money was for buying Flint into the prison, or buying Thomas out.

Putting Flint into the prison.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

As Nero Danced posted:

That was a really satisfying conclusion. They did a pretty good job.

Crap now what, this filled the role of Spartacus for me and now its over. Is there another historical fantasy show in the pipeline other than that white princess thing?

Coming up, other than further seasons of Vikings and Outlander, nothing that exactly fits the bill.

But, doing the rounds there are a couple of things coming up: a second season of The Last Kingdom coming to Netflix, if not already there. Netflix is also adding a historical Western called Godless, produced by Steven Soderbergh. Hulu just started a new show, Harlots, about brothels in historical England. (I've not seen it, but it's getting good enough reviews that make me think it could be worth a once over). Ridley Scott is producing The Terror, a show about a shipwreked crew in frozen Canada, to air later this year on AMC. There's another new Western/Dynasty mashup coming to AMC in the next month or so, called The Son. And finally there's a young William Shakespeare show coming to TNT later this year, but no-one knows exactly when it'll be airing.

And there's probably something else I've forgotten -- but nothing particularly swashbucklely, unfortunately.

In terms of back catelogue worth checking out, I'm particularly partial to Da Vinici's Demons. It's really fun fluff, particularly once season 2 rolls around. STARZ also has Outlander and Pillars Of The Earth in its back catalogue, both good -- though there is an honestly offputting amount of sexual violence in Outlander.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Toby Stephens crushed it in this series, and I hope he lands some good roles elsewhere in the future because of it. That final conversation between him and John Silver...holy poo poo.

I wish we got to see Billy die, though. Good god, that guy was a snake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So that's it? It's over?

I'm gonna be that guy and say I was really disappointed in the finale. I was hoping to see a really cool pirate battle but nope that didn't happen. I was hoping to see a cool war that they've been building up. Nope that didn't happen. That entire plot about how rich assholes literally getting sent off "to a farm upstate" was incredibly dumb and seemed really forced. Why did they bother introducing a nice character in the last 10 minutes of the entire show? That seemed really loving stupid and should have been something they do if there was a next season.

All in all I started watching this show because it was about cool poo poo like pirates fighting and fruits and tits. This last episode and last season really didn't have much of that. I think they really missed out killing off Vane.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show, in any case. Toby Stephens loving killed it.

I thought the ending was basically up to you. Like Rackham was saying, if you wanted to believe in the myths and the stories and a happy​ ending then go for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alienwarehouse posted:

Toby Stephens crushed it in this series, and I hope he lands some good roles elsewhere in the future because of it.

He's the lead on Netflix's Lost In Space.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's the lead on Netflix's Lost In Space.

I got nothing.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Roman Reigns posted:

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Flint, like a pet, totally went to the farm in the country. By which I mean, Silver killed him and was spinning a white lie to Madi.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alienwarehouse posted:

I wish we got to see Billy die, though. Good god, that guy was a snake.

The opening of treasure Island is basically billy flipping out and being a bitter old drunk to the point that he dies of a heart attack or something.

Poor ol' Billy Bones, thought of a flint and died.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So that's it? It's over?

I'm gonna be that guy and say I was really disappointed in the finale. I was hoping to see a really cool pirate battle but nope that didn't happen. I was hoping to see a cool war that they've been building up. Nope that didn't happen. That entire plot about how rich assholes literally getting sent off "to a farm upstate" was incredibly dumb and seemed really forced. Why did they bother introducing a nice character in the last 10 minutes of the entire show? That seemed really loving stupid and should have been something they do if there was a next season.

All in all I started watching this show because it was about cool poo poo like pirates fighting and fruits and tits. This last episode and last season really didn't have much of that. I think they really missed out killing off Vane.

Honestly the whole season has been the weakest yet, and I agree there was a hell of a lot of buildup that did not really amount to much.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I'm really satisfied with the finale. Glad that there were happy endings because I expected it to end with Flint dead, Rackham hanged and Anne and Max sneaking away on a boat.

Feels good :unsmith:

In my headcanon, the "Tits, Tits, Fruit, Fruit, Plant, Plant" guy ended up becoming an amazing painter and died rich.

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 3, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Am I the only one disappointed that Silver and Madi seemingly ended up together? Really undercuts her character, and coupled with the whole "Flint and Thomas reunited" thing makes Silver come across as some kind of happy ending machine. Also undercuts Silver's suffering at deciding whether or not to betray Flint.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alienwarehouse posted:

Toby Stephens crushed it in this series, and I hope he lands some good roles elsewhere in the future because of it. That final conversation between him and John Silver...holy poo poo.

It's not easy having to act both, an emotion and stunt intensive role over 4 seasons of a character that's essentially a nonstop PTSD kaledioscope. And yea, though I saw it coming ever since that convo he and Silver had in ep4 about trading the war for Thomas, manly tears were still shed at his final scene together with Silver describing him as finally awakening from his nightmare.

ShakeZula posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that Silver and Madi seemingly ended up together? Really undercuts her character, and coupled with the whole "Flint and Thomas reunited" thing makes Silver come across as some kind of happy ending machine. Also undercuts Silver's suffering at deciding whether or not to betray Flint.

Nope, you're not. I honestly thought that part was a bit too much wish fulfillment by the writers and would've liked the sense of sacrifice that inevitably happens IRL to get the thing you want the most. You want your wife to be safe from harm but also resent you for it or you want her to follow her own path, feel fulfilled but risk death every day? Choose one, but doing so means you almost certainly won't get the other. Instead yea...let's have both and just dance off into the sunset. TBH, it's the same problem I have with Max saying 'no' to the marriage proposal for the sake of her love to Anne and yet *still* she gets to have her cake and eat it too by running the place by the end I mean cripes...up until now I felt the show did well by not pulling too much of that out of its rear end but to conclude it with such I feel just seriously undercuts so much that's been built up.

I dunno...first half of the season still felt alright enough, but the second honestly felt like the writers really had to start twisting a fair amount of things towards their wish fulfillment fantasy, to the point my suspension of disbelief seriously snapped a few times so...I'd still say Season 3's my alltime fav TBH, but kudos to the showrunners for recognizing when to fold 'em and properly close it all off. Not many know when to do that and it makes for a series that'll deffo stay in my thoughts.

Now to re-read Treasure Island again and see how well it fits!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 3, 2017

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

IIRC, there's mention that Silver has an African wife in Treasure Island who looks after his business affairs, and Madi fits that description. I guess the writers are just trying to bring the characters (well, Silver at least) into the positions they're in at the beginning of TI? Except Billy is where Ben Gunn would be, so...

Gotta say, I'd love to see The Further Adventures of Jack & Anne. I'm sure they left it open deliberately to make me all hopeful and then disappoint me. Hmph.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dekenai posted:

Except Billy is where Ben Gunn would be, so...

Billy clearly is Ben Gunn.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I liked the finale precisely because it's the only way things could have ended up without being a giant killfest or absolutely preposterous. We've all known that Flint's war was hopeless and stupid, a giant temper tantrum held together by the rage of a man with plot on his side. It had to end because Treasure Island is not set in a world where a pirate republic controls the Caribbean. I much prefer the idea that a key person had a moment of clarity and found a way out to one aimed at maximum body count. Among other high notes, I liked Flint's speech to Silver about how he was going to regret this. It draws an arrow pointing right to Treasure Island without being stupidly obvious about it. Silver's confrontation with the cook was also a nice touch, reminding us and him of just how far he's come in a fairly short while.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Billy clearly is Ben Gunn.

But... but... Ben's right there, Billy chooses not to shoot him in the water. I assumed that was going to be significant (in that he'd somehow be left behind on the island), but then he's on board Jack's ship when Rogers rams it and Billy ends up on the island. Not whining about it, it's just not what I was expecting for a lead-in to Treasure Island, is all. Maybe it makes more sense for viewers unfamiliar with the book this way, since Billy's gotta survive somehow and Ben was relegated to crewman-with-a-few-lines-but-not-particularly-important.

Eh, who cares, the whole show's been a drat good ride.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

meristem posted:

Flint, like a pet, totally went to the farm in the country. By which I mean, Silver killed him and was spinning a white lie to Madi.

Yeah this is what I thought. Silver in the Treasure Island book is portrayed as a liar first and foremost, and that seemed like too pleasant of an ending for Flint. He capped Flint in the head and made it up. Also, I thought Thomas Hamilton was dead but I admit I watch this show in a haze of weed smoke and zone out of every extended piece of dialogue

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah this is what I thought. Silver in the Treasure Island book is portrayed as a liar first and foremost, and that seemed like too pleasant of an ending for Flint. He capped Flint in the head and made it up. Also, I thought Thomas Hamilton was dead but I admit I watch this show in a haze of weed smoke and zone out of every extended piece of dialogue

Even if Silver legit was that ruthless to do that without the kind of provocation like at the end of E9 (I rather doubt it, considering he couldn't kill Billy midseason, a person who directly ordered to fire on his wife and showed no remorse for it ffs), the story he told Madi deffo represented what he wanted to be true. If it actually is or not welp...Jack's closing speech put it best.

A story is true. A story is not true. It matters less and less as time goes on, the ones we consider to be true are ones we want to be true.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 3, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The rich people prison was heaven the entire time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dekenai posted:

Gotta say, I'd love to see The Further Adventures of Jack & Anne. I'm sure they left it open deliberately to make me all hopeful and then disappoint me. Hmph.

Yeah, they kind of had to stop it there for Jack because things don't end well for him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I tend to assume a scene that's actually shown on screen is real, unless it's specifically called out as a fantasy. If Silver had just told Madi "Yeah, we sent him to a farm upstate where he can run around and chase the cows," then I'd think there was a chance he was lying, but the fact that they actually cut away and showed them arriving at the colony, all the way up to Flint embracing Thomas, makes me assume that this is what actually happened. It would feel kinda cheaty for them to "show" a fantasy, right down to the details that Silver wouldn't have known about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you try to tell me that flint didn't live out his days in peace and happiness and romantic walks I will cut you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Baronjutter posted:

If you try to tell me that flint didn't live out his days in peace and happiness and romantic walks I will cut you.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Phenotype posted:

I tend to assume a scene that's actually shown on screen is real, unless it's specifically called out as a fantasy. If Silver had just told Madi "Yeah, we sent him to a farm upstate where he can run around and chase the cows," then I'd think there was a chance he was lying, but the fact that they actually cut away and showed them arriving at the colony, all the way up to Flint embracing Thomas, makes me assume that this is what actually happened. It would feel kinda cheaty for them to "show" a fantasy, right down to the details that Silver wouldn't have known about.
I don't know, if it's shown while Silver is telling his possibly false story to Madi, then it could just be part of his story. On the other hand we actually did see someone demanding to know if a certain prisoner was at a place at the beginning of the episode. And I just don't think Silver would kill Flint especially after Madi has already been rescued. I guess if Flint just refused to give up his war he might have to, but then we did see that scene at the prison early on, and that's the same story they gave Grandma Guthrie even though she wanted him dead. I feel like they left it up to interpretation but it seems to be leaning on the he lived side.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What DID happen to the coat?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VagueRant posted:

last I remember...lost somewhere in that S3E2 storm...or still chillin' stress-free and drinking mojitos on maroon island, which is where Flint got his final-form coat.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know, if it's shown while Silver is telling his possibly false story to Madi, then it could just be part of his story. On the other hand we actually did see someone demanding to know if a certain prisoner was at a place at the beginning of the episode. And I just don't think Silver would kill Flint especially after Madi has already been rescued. I guess if Flint just refused to give up his war he might have to, but then we did see that scene at the prison early on, and that's the same story they gave Grandma Guthrie even though she wanted him dead. I feel like they left it up to interpretation but it seems to be leaning on the he lived side.

Yeah, there's no reason at all for Rackham to lie to Granny Guthrie in that conversation if Flint had indeed been killed, on the contrary, it could've had disastrous consequences for both him and those closest to him having told her that he had already reneged on one of the main agreements that their deal hinged on

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

VagueRant posted:

they put it on ebay

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

they put it on ebay

They have some pretty nifty items on auction now.

You too can own some of the Urca treasure!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Roman Reigns posted:

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show, in any case. Toby Stephens loving killed it.

Flint was in irons so I'm assuming the former.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Flint pretty much had to survive to create the map that is used in Treasure Island, correct?

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Flint pretty much had to survive to create the map that is used in Treasure Island, correct?

Very good point.

There will be a Treasure Island show or mini-series within a few years. I feel it in my Bones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dudikoff posted:

Very good point.

There will be a Treasure Island show or mini-series within a few years. I feel it in my Bones.

I just want more Toby Stephens. He's in some movie about the IRA with O'Brian from star treks. He's playing that lovely PM they had in the 90's haha oh man he pulls it off well.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Watch the Pierce Brosnan Die Another Day Bond film, Toby is the villain in it

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Watch the Pierce Brosnan Tomorrow Never Dies Bond film, Toby is the villain in it

He sure ain't in the credits.
But he's in this one! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Another_Day

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh jesus, he WAS the North Korean dude who became the white English guy with the diamond laser, wasn't he?

poo poo, I never realized that until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I want toby stephens to play a hard scrabble space ship captain in a sci fi series or movie

Edit: maybe we could call it treasure planet

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread