Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Billy is sort of an idiot this episode.

Eh... Billy has a lot of grudges against Flint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It would have been less cruel to push him into a literal meatgrinder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

She's an important character because she's the only representation of Nassau's merchants/non-pirate residents, but yeah the character hasn't really been doing much for like 2 seasons.

I don't understand where in the past 2 seasons LJS's character became The Pirate King. I know when he lost his leg his crew started liking him more, but when did he became this pirate messiah character?

He stomped a guys face in and then Billy concocted a wholesale propaganda word-of-mouth campaign to mythologize him. This then peaked with him presumably getting the credit for the pirates winning the season 3 finale.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno, I think it was poignant that her vane attempt to outmaneuver literally everyone ended up with her dead by the hands of some Spanish soldier nobody who just refused to die.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 6, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hello friends, I'm thinking of picking this show back up. I remember enjoying it, not sure why I quit watching. I got up to the finale of S1. It's been quite a long while though, would someone mind either linking me something to read for a summar, or summarize S1 for me? Assume I remember basically nothing.

In season 1 they spend the entire season chasing a Spanish treasure galleon. Silver steal the information about its whereabouts and burns the original documents, making him the only one who knows where it is and invaluable to Flint (The captain). As Flint, Gates(the quartermaster) and Billy(At this point just some random crewman) try to work out how to deal with Silver Flint gets his captaincy challenged. However, Flint outwits and kills this challenger by having Silver lie to the crew about a piece of information. Billy and Gates knows about this and Billy is very conflicted. Billy eventually confronts Flint about this a couple of episodes later in the middle of a storm and Flint pushes him/lets him fall into the ocean.

Time goes and they keep getting closer to the galleon until they think they've finally found it, but instead they find a massive Spanish warship at its supposed location. Gates tries to get Flint to back down from the obviously suicidal attack but Flint chokes him out in the captain's quarter with the support of Silver. Flint walks out, tells everyone and the attack is on. This then culminates in the season 1 finale where the two pirate vessels under Flint's command get utterly annihilated by the warship. They then wash up on a beach which as it turns out is right next to the beach where surprise the actual treasure galleon had shipwrecked (explaining its absence), this the season cliffhanger.

There's also a lot of subplots going on but that's the general gist of it.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 12, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

You forgot to mention The Coat in that summary. Unless The Coat was introduced in season 2.

The coat was on the Man-o-War.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

Well this episode was so boring that I imagine the next two will be the best ever.

Find the person who thought having the exact same scheming scene repeated with the different characters back-to-back was a good idea and make him walk the plank.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

We're not keelhauling people now?

As the show established keelhauling is how respectable badasses go out. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

Pretty much the main interest of it was the very end, setting up Skeleton island and Hands' odd choice of letting Flint haul the cash off the boat, but being happy to chase him down afterwards, rather than just let that poor sod they knifed earlier take the shot and take down Flint on the ship without him catching any flak for it.

He made it pretty clear, if Flint died then Silver would just instantly suspect him anyway. He needed Silver to be the one that made the call.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dessel posted:

Well we certainly waited years for the unsheathing of that particular sword. drat.

I'd like to imagine that this was always the plan.

Also, man were there many dead long-time extras in this episode. I re-watched seasons 1-3 recently and this show really strives to keep the background actors around right up until the point where they die quick and horrible deaths. :(

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 27, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

Assuming people are not firing guns, yes banging swords is really noisy.

Sounds kinda dangerous.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I wish I were joking, but I have filmed people doing it and have participated myself. I have also been around re-enactors who get very into swinging said swords.

After banging them? Sounds kinda gross.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha poor Billy. Anyone mind steering me in some direction on how to watch/read/listen to Treasure Island?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just assumed that there's a Frankenstein situation here with right and wrong ways to go about it since the only context I've ever heard about it outside of this show is in reference to US lit classes. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's the lead on Netflix's Lost In Space.

I got nothing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dekenai posted:

Except Billy is where Ben Gunn would be, so...

Billy clearly is Ben Gunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah this is what I thought. Silver in the Treasure Island book is portrayed as a liar first and foremost, and that seemed like too pleasant of an ending for Flint. He capped Flint in the head and made it up. Also, I thought Thomas Hamilton was dead but I admit I watch this show in a haze of weed smoke and zone out of every extended piece of dialogue

The rich people prison was heaven the entire time.

• Locked thread