Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Liked the Genesis quote at the start with the underwater shot too, though yea Silver surfacing was shot drat well too, felt my chest tightening with that dull heartbeat sfx.

Otherwise, all ready to see some deaths deaths deaths and see it all tie to Treasure Island. It's been a p cool journey and it feels good to know this is the last run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PlushCow posted:

UGH ok I've updated the OP hope you are happy :argh:

OP gud, tho missing two more RIPs by my count if you feel like adding it - Benjamin Hornigold and Dufrense. In Eleanor's words, gonna miss that old lady and Patrick Lyster acted him p well - plus killed by Flint personally so... And Dufrense, his Quartermaster, became well...rather a shitbird, but still his death was kinda the start of Long John Silver's legend.

But...I am happy even so. :glomp: In your own time and if you like, I can write it up and you just copypasta.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PaybackJack posted:

drat that was such a fine coat. :perfect:

Nothing even comes close. Sure, Blackbeard's coat might have a lot more utility with those pistol holsters but...ain't none of 'em got half the style.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Terrific! Love it!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
It does make sense he'd do what he did. He never was onboard the whole slaves & pirates shtick in S3, and that + newfound authority definitely would lead to him insisting on the welfare of his own men over that of the slaves.

Even so, yea...failed his own 'none of us are safe, until we are all safe' creed with this bonehead move, and right as the militia is bearing down on them all too. But hating Flint can cause that, lol.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CODChimera posted:

That was a great end to the stand off but it's still sad to see them fight amongst themselves.

It reminded me of Flint's appraisal of him in S3: "We all face certain death with our own kind of lie. Billy's is that he thinks he can fight his way out of trouble." Wish he'd remember that before yapping more threats at him lol, poor choice that.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
In the convo between them, it seemed as if Flint may have let go of his hand at the time, though definitely not intentionally. Billy did put it aside when he'd returned, but yeah...both that and considering Flint was even the reason as to why both of them were dawdling out there due to asking about the letter he had found, and then finding out Flint had killed Gates,...all that poo poo pissed him off with good reason.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The time it took was deffo a big factor in just how uncomfortable that was to watch. Cripes...

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, Jack would've had to shoot not only at Teach, whom he'd idolized at that point, but also at Anne...and that is just not something that I think he could do, nor she at him. You can see Teach's utter dissapointment at this too lol! Maybe they counted on being all held captive long enough to escape, not knowing just what Rogers does if victorious, when pushed far enough. Really, Teach's mistake was to board the vessel in the first place and ultimately, that's another thing about this episode. Both sides had the opportunity to not make a fatal mistake and just loving end it, right there and then, but both gave in to their pride/bloodlust too much and lost it all.

Teach could've just opened fire, sunk the sloop and trusted that the intel was good and that Rogers was dead on board. But he had to try and make a trophy of him, so he got made a trophy of himself since that's exactly what Rogers was prepared and counting on.

And Berringer could've just literally acted upon the 'I win' card that Max and Eleanor handed him over...but he had to try and make a trophy of Silver, so he got made a trophy of himself since that's exactly what Silver was prepared and counting on.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 13, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I feel like Jack's problem has always been exactly what Vane noted about him in the first season: "You're too clever for your own good, Jack." His original ideas and schemes are actually very good, and often worth carrying out...but then he always either overthinks them or convinces himself that leadership just boils down to outwitting the other person. It doesn't. Sometimes it really is just about how far you're willing to go and whom/what you're willing to sacrifice for victory. Rogers was willing to die along with all his men, if it meant Eleanor got to escape to Philadelphia and bring back the forces to win the war, maybe also if it meant taking out Teach. Jack, however, was not willing to see Anne and Teach die, even if it meant winning the war.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dreylad posted:

But I gotta say Chris Larkin did a great job with Berringer, I thought. His physicality, barely fitting in his ruined uniform, alternating between his English civility and his Heart of Darkness-soldiering personas. I thought he did a lot with the role, given his time on the show.

I'm dumb and don't often notice or appreciate performances, but I liked his.

It's one of the main reasons I love this show I think. A lot of the side characters, even ones that don't last for too long, have some really good actors behind them. Similar to Chris Larkin was Langley Kirkwood as Captain Bryson in S1. Just about everything about him screamed of a coldhearted and cunning man. And he was around for only 3 episodes I think, but he left a really chilling impression on me. Or hell, Ned Low in S2 didn't last very long, but his first introduction to Eleanor in her own bar is still a very good way to introduce a complete psychopath.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LemonyTang posted:

The rowing out, the "shock" that not everyone on the boat was dead, the unconditional surrender. This show is so loving predictable. The pirates never win. This episode tried so hard to be suspenseful and it fell so completely flat.

At least there was some rear end kicking at the end

I think the suspense of what happens in the very end is deffo not why I like to watch it, given there are 3 characters that you know will 100% survive at the end as per Treasure Island. And I also don't think they intended much suspense for that, and moreso for how the characters react to it. I mean...what suspense is there to be had as to that not everyone on the boat is dead, when literally at the start of this episode you see Rogers packing said boat like a clown-car with soldiers during the speech, and know that if Blackbeard ever boards that ship, he's playing right into his hands? Although I do agree that Rackham's surrender was shot p poorly and just comes across as weak poo poo, lol...still waiting for a gif of Blackbeard's look of utter dissapointment right then at that turn of events, since Ray Stevenson's face is like...an amazing conduit of communication.

It's also not much point to bet on suspense, since anyone can know well beforehand that Blackbeard, Vane, Rackham and Anne all died historically and the show's been pretty consistent in offing those types of characters in similar-style situations (see Blackbeard going down to p much the exact same tactic IRL).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 14, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, trust Israel Hands to be the voice in this latest ep for all the "Too much talking" people ITT lol.

Also...thought they'd never get back around to it, but sure enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WNaHuAHKFU. Whoever called the role reversal between Rogers and Flint in what comes next seems to have been on the money. And whatever the outcome, I'm p certain of one thing now - Rogers and Eleanor will lose it all by the end. Because with friends like these...

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 26, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Spanish anthem doesn't actually have any lyrics so I think you meant to link this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tgC2kBCRu5o

Yea, I know, but the one with lyrics is just hilariously upbeat, despite its sordid fascist-tinted history, so screw it. Felt it was more appropriate in this instance.

And welp, I suppose Max just becomes full on Quisling without NPD in this last episode, while Eleanor was the Quisling with NPD. I'm glad they're at least lampshade hanging it, but jesus cripes were this anything like the real world she would've been dead meat 2 times in this season had the pirates not needed their 'twenty good men (tm)' and had Jack "I can't feel my balls" Rackham not been the textbook definition of passive-aggressive pirate. And it's annoying as poo poo to have side characters vouch for her good character, when no - she totes crossed the pirates and chose a goddamn side after they were the ones who made her rich, yet gets to skate off with it scot free since by now it's abundantly clear that the pirates and Rogers lose to her in the end. Plus that cat parable was also complete bullshit, when it wasn't the cat (pirates) that killed Eleanor in the end, but the rage-filled father (civilization).

At least I'm still curious as to how poo poo goes down between Flint and Silver but yea...looks like it's shaping up to be another really great work that looks as if it's describing something very drat well, but in the end falls completely flat on its face with its thesis.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 12, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Spain retreating did make sense, since it's standard procedure for them to raid, burn poo poo to the ground and then leave it behind as a smoking ruin. But governor Raja just leaving Rogers behind in charge while saying: "Oh, we totes squared off dat spanish treasure brah, cuz my king tells me to, also in no way will I have my revenge on you in any way, even though you sadistically tortured and murdered my younger brother due to your own bloodlust!"...that was the super stupid part for me that I cannot buy. I mean...it's p obvious this had to just get handwaved, since it's the only way to get Madi in his custody and let that drive Flint and Silver apart, but cripes does it make precisely zero sense for a proud spanish governor of Havana to not just straight up murder all the englishmen, plus someone who killed his younger brother out of sheer bloodlust, after their use has expired in the raid. And at a time of war between the two countries, no less!

Also I dunno...I feel like Billy turning traitor was warranted, given how no thought was given to his safety during that spanish attack. Had it not been for his former buddy there, he would've been dead now so yea...that and the brutal beating from someone whom you put into that position of power would piss most anyone off, to be sure.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 13, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Pretty much the main interest of it was the very end, setting up Skeleton island and Hands' odd choice of letting Flint haul the cash off the boat, but being happy to chase him down afterwards, rather than just let that poor sod they knifed earlier take the shot and take down Flint on the ship without him catching any flak for it. My guess is he'll happily kill Flint...but lmao if Silver thinks he'll let the cash be retrieved and not stash it someplace on that rock for later his own drat self.

So here's me hoping the last two eps deliver. I can forgive all the bullshit, Max' character essentially arriving at the exact same spot that she was at the start of Season 1 (that love matters more than ambition) and utterly wasting the audiences time for the sake of :shlick: ... I can forgive all the bullshit times people really should've been long since dead as a dodo...I can forgive all the writer self-inserts into side characters...

Just gimme a solid pirate story for the last two eps, and you're okay in my books, show.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

meristem posted:

Glad to see Flint back to his usual "my way or the highway, I lost my beau so you can't have yours either" hypocrisy.

Actually, I find it hilarious that the main reason for this poo poo going down the way it did was because Silver didn't listen to Hands on being ruthless when he decides to spare Billy. You cut someone off like that in this biz, you absolutely have to go all the way on it. Because of that Flint's plan to get Madi out was killed in its crib, since he knew all the routes for his men to get in and got them caught and executed (hell, it's the reason Rogers even knows to ransom her off). Tho I agree that Flint really not having that much of a post-war plan indicates he'd be the absolute worst choice for doing anything after it was done. Although he sorta admits to this too, by emphasizing Silver and Madi would be better suited to that part than him.

Basically, Madi should've been put in charge over them all since the beginning with Israel Hands advising her is what I'm saying. Every other one of the pirates has made one or more significant errors in judgement, even Silver.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 20, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd say pirates IRL certainly were political, after all they had their personal reasons for being such (not just due to some being ex-slaves, but also the vast majority of the last pirate golden age being ex-British navy that got shortchanged after Britain finally stopped warring nonstop). If they came across any group of people that they saw as loving them over before, they'd often act on the impulse to kill them if they could get away with it, profit be damned.

It's just that, yea, the vast majority of them basically had show Rackham's mindset about it (minus the constant passive-aggressiveness for just straight up aggressiveness) and were political in the opportunistic sense, rather than the zealous one that Flint is in this show. In the end, even Rackham can just say: "Charles Vane's dead...I gotta take care of myself and my own and drop this war. But I am gonna try and make this rich bastard pay along the way, so the story doesn't end with him winning."

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 23, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Invalid Validation posted:

I'm glad they aren't trying to redeem Flint. He's had his sympathetic moments but they have never tried to make him a good guy which is nice. That man is a piece of poo poo and they don't try to hide it.

I'd say the initial label of him in Season 1 still rings super true. "The man is arrogant and presumptious." IMO, in terms of the cold hard truth, he is almost always right about what's needed for the war to be won. The problem is he's just never learned that that does not mean what he says should happen must always happen, because it winds up killing a ton of people far better than him who otherwise would not have died. And also leads to him breaking his word literally every goddamn time lol.

Basically, the guy's been getting people killed for the sake of his war (and it really is only his and was maybe also Charles Vane's) ever since losing Thomas, be it indirectly or directly.

But yea, Toby's portrayal of him is simply goddamn brilliant and somehow it makes me like what his character is about and understand his position far more than I should. The very moment in this last ep that he just looked at the table and recollected himself, while Silver demanded he follow him on this, I knew he was gonna just lie through his teeth to him in a composed manner, and sure enough by the end of the episode... :D

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 24, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
In the terms of this show, I don't feel weirded out by that premise at all, because it does make perfect sense. Chiefly, because beneath Flint's rhetoric is a very simple and personal reason - he lost his home and people he loved to this thing called civilization (buggery hiss!), so he intends to make it pay. Similarly, Madi's and her mother's reasons for going along with it are also very simple and personal - they'd like a place to call home where they don't have to live in constant fear of being taken away in chains due to the color of their skin (drat darkies!). I find revolutions against that kind of prejudice to be very understandable and historically apt, much moreso than POTC's general, jokey and non-descript reasons for a 'revolution' mainly for the sake of the spectacle of it in the 3rd movie. Basically...the primary motivations of the characters in the show do make sense for being the seed in which this sort of resistance can certainly happen (except in a few glaring cases this season like Rackham not just dumping Max's body before even allowing her to see Anne or Raja not murdering Rogers and all his troops at the end of his raid).

It's just that yea, there is a reason why such a thing never happened when it came to pirates (though it deffo did happen in terms of slaves, look up the Haitian revolt vs France https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution ) a) It'd take an absolutely ridiculous amount of luck for all the parties between pirates and slaves to agree to it, not to mention survive to even start it, which again is actually lampshaded occasionally by the show (last season Teach saying to Flint: "Either you're unkillable, friend, or long overdue." is basically this) and b) While I think that to just say none of these types of pirates ever existed in history and that they were all just utter scum is not to know human nature, there was ultimately a LOT more scum IRL than the kind shown in the show, obviously. So there never was enough of a critical mass to try for something like this, when everyone other than said revolutionaries (civilization included) was primarily looking out for short-term self-interest and daily survival in that region. Basically, Julius' point of view. Then again, the same could be said of the whole Max/Eleanor subplots of there being a suspiciously large number of women that quietly wield power, or there just so happens to be another one for Max to make a connection with in Philadelphia (how handy), as opposed to RL where they, sadly, far more often found themselves chained by their husbands or dead whenever they tried for it.

So yea, I'd be interested to see something super-realistic like that on pirates but lol...you can label that deficiency on just about ANY show set in any historical period before the 20th century TBH, be it fictional or adhering to some measure of 'reality'. Even 'Vikings' carefully omits a ton of absolutely scummy poo poo they did and so, when it comes to commercial shows, we must all endure our 'monuments to compromise.' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk0bKyxn-jk

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 25, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alienwarehouse posted:

Toby Stephens crushed it in this series, and I hope he lands some good roles elsewhere in the future because of it. That final conversation between him and John Silver...holy poo poo.

It's not easy having to act both, an emotion and stunt intensive role over 4 seasons of a character that's essentially a nonstop PTSD kaledioscope. And yea, though I saw it coming ever since that convo he and Silver had in ep4 about trading the war for Thomas, manly tears were still shed at his final scene together with Silver describing him as finally awakening from his nightmare.

ShakeZula posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that Silver and Madi seemingly ended up together? Really undercuts her character, and coupled with the whole "Flint and Thomas reunited" thing makes Silver come across as some kind of happy ending machine. Also undercuts Silver's suffering at deciding whether or not to betray Flint.

Nope, you're not. I honestly thought that part was a bit too much wish fulfillment by the writers and would've liked the sense of sacrifice that inevitably happens IRL to get the thing you want the most. You want your wife to be safe from harm but also resent you for it or you want her to follow her own path, feel fulfilled but risk death every day? Choose one, but doing so means you almost certainly won't get the other. Instead yea...let's have both and just dance off into the sunset. TBH, it's the same problem I have with Max saying 'no' to the marriage proposal for the sake of her love to Anne and yet *still* she gets to have her cake and eat it too by running the place by the end I mean cripes...up until now I felt the show did well by not pulling too much of that out of its rear end but to conclude it with such I feel just seriously undercuts so much that's been built up.

I dunno...first half of the season still felt alright enough, but the second honestly felt like the writers really had to start twisting a fair amount of things towards their wish fulfillment fantasy, to the point my suspension of disbelief seriously snapped a few times so...I'd still say Season 3's my alltime fav TBH, but kudos to the showrunners for recognizing when to fold 'em and properly close it all off. Not many know when to do that and it makes for a series that'll deffo stay in my thoughts.

Now to re-read Treasure Island again and see how well it fits!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 3, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah this is what I thought. Silver in the Treasure Island book is portrayed as a liar first and foremost, and that seemed like too pleasant of an ending for Flint. He capped Flint in the head and made it up. Also, I thought Thomas Hamilton was dead but I admit I watch this show in a haze of weed smoke and zone out of every extended piece of dialogue

Even if Silver legit was that ruthless to do that without the kind of provocation like at the end of E9 (I rather doubt it, considering he couldn't kill Billy midseason, a person who directly ordered to fire on his wife and showed no remorse for it ffs), the story he told Madi deffo represented what he wanted to be true. If it actually is or not welp...Jack's closing speech put it best.

A story is true. A story is not true. It matters less and less as time goes on, the ones we consider to be true are ones we want to be true.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 3, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Baronjutter posted:

If you try to tell me that flint didn't live out his days in peace and happiness and romantic walks I will cut you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VagueRant posted:

What DID happen to the coat?

last I remember...lost somewhere in that S3E2 storm...or still chillin' stress-free and drinking mojitos on maroon island, which is where Flint got his final-form coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PaybackJack posted:

It really is amazing how Silver turned the corner. Everyone hated him in the first season and he was dismissed as a babyface hero that was being thrust into the spotlight by the producers. However he was so well written and the actor did such a great job that he won the crew over as he won the fans over. I wonder if that was part of his long term scripting that he shows up and is a little overexposed in the beginning so as his role diminished, we'd forget a little about him so by the time he started his ascent to power our initial hatred for him would have tempered.

I think in the first season, in general, he's just entirely that self-serving, morally grey kind of character that, as always, gets caught up in crazy hijinks donchaknow? But yea, already by mid season 2 something very subtle starts happening and I love how by the end of it the actor portrays the knowledge, that he was going to change whether he likes it or not. Not just with him losing his leg, but also with being voted for Quartermaster. And yea, by season 3 you can see to what point he's matured and it finally comes into full force in season 4.

Luke Arnold did drat well on that score, I feel. It might've looked like he was over-acting it in S1, but...I feel that was moreso due to how he was written then, from S2 onwards he very much so holds his own to Toby Stephens and yea...that is no mean feat. But yea, if you told me in S1 that he was literally gonna become some sort of pirate Jesus by the end of it all, AND make it completely believable as well as deserved,...I'd call you a liar. Yet he pulled it off drat well indeed.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

This show fascinates me because most of the time TV characters start out as nuanced individuals and gradually descend into broad caricatures but Black Sails did the exact opposite

Well, especially with the last few episodes, I think it does a very good job of demonstrating that behind ever rationalized 'big broad masterplan' or 'ideology', there's actually a p simple and specifically personal reason why the characters do what they do. It's honestly a lot truer in that regard to how people IRL act, I'd say, even if the dialogue remains moreso wordy.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 7, 2017

• Locked thread