Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene in the house where Billy and Flint were arguing I was distracted by the return of Billy's MASSIVE ARMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

Last Season? :smith:

Well, it is kind of realistic. Pirate careers didn't exactly last very long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BurtLington posted:

Also how did Blackbeard, one of the most feared pirates and best fighters, lose a fight to pretty boy privateer Woodes Rogers? When did he suddenly become amazing at fighting, did I miss something?

Its how Blackbeard was defeated IRL. Not Woodes Rogers but the whole thing with the guy he was fighting tricked him by just holding all his men under the decks until after they boarded.

Also laughing like hell that the Japanese pirate is still around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

I honestly did not know that many of these characters are based on historical figures. I thought this was just based on the characters established in Treasure Island, which I also did not realize featured people who actually existed in reality. Do you guys have any recommendations what books/resources I should look for to read up on how this all went down? It would be awesome if a writer like Erik Larson tackled the subject since his books read more like novels rather than dry, boring history text books.

Of the main characters these are real people:

Charles Vane
Jack Rackham
Anne Bonny
Benjamin Hornigold
Woodes Rogers
Israel Hands
Blackbeard

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Were Jack and Anne really that infamous, though? I think as far as the British were concerned, it was Edward Teach and a bunch of random pirates. So if you've got this big hulking dude who wants to fight pirates and smash 'em with a hammer, let him go nuts, whatever.

Nah, "Calico" Jack Rackham is one of the big pirates of the era. Remember, he was the one who actually stole the Urca gold.

Speaking of which, it was kind of funny how last week had that bit where they just hand waved away last season's subplot about the Spanish attacking the island if they didn't get the money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dekenai posted:

Gotta say, I'd love to see The Further Adventures of Jack & Anne. I'm sure they left it open deliberately to make me all hopeful and then disappoint me. Hmph.

Yeah, they kind of had to stop it there for Jack because things don't end well for him.

• Locked thread