Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm not sure what amazes me more about this article. that idiot tech "journalist" and vergin editor nilay patel bought a $500 tv, that he did not know why you don't buy curved tvs, or that he didn't return it when he discovered his wife hated it.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/30/14439362/samsung-curved-tv-review-un40k6250af-mistake

quote:

A few months ago I did something extremely out of character: I went out and bought a TV without obsessively reading product reviews. I just drove to Walmart and purchased the nicest-looking TV in stock for $500. It was a curved Samsung. This was an enormous mistake, and I should have just bought a Vizio E-Series. My wife Becky loudly reminds me of this mistake nearly every time we turn the TV on; she hates this product more than any other half-baked gadget I have forced into our lives. So I asked her to explain why, and she gave me this, which begins with what I can only describe as a vicious character assassination. — Nilay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
so you work for the Verge op?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
holy poo poo his wife just owns him repeatedly

quote:

Several years ago I asked Nilay for a new suitcase for Christmas, expecting a sturdy Samsonite or Tumi. You know, a suitcase. Instead, I received what he had deemed the “prettiest one.” It was subsequently destroyed both aesthetically and functionally after its very first journey in the hands of American Airlines.

quote:

“I bought the prettiest one,” he said. Again. Those were the words uttered by my in-house technology expert, who quit his job as a lawyer for a new career writing technology reviews.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
curved TVs are a gimmick so bad that i actually get annoyed just thinking about it. to willingly purchase a TV with it- well, he deserves all the anguish he gets

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well, she married him, so who's the idiot?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also what the gently caress is Samsung's excuse for not using a matte screen? i don't care if it's a $500 TV, that's shameful

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this definitely needed its own freaking thread

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
not only is it a curved piece of poo poo, it comes preloaded with adware and constantly annoys you to update its firmware

the future loving rules

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i love this review

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Marriage Verge Score

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Marriage Verge Score

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Marriage Verge Score

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Management posted:

I'm not sure what amazes me more about this article. that idiot tech "journalist" and vergin editor nilay patel bought a $500 tv, that he did not know why you don't buy curved tvs, or that he didn't return it when he discovered his wife hated it.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/30/14439362/samsung-curved-tv-review-un40k6250af-mistake

whats wrong with a curved telly

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The OP and everyone else in this forum linking to and reading this guy's content and talking about him like clockwork even tho they apparently hate him, you know, like he wants.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Genius editor.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it probably works on some models but its mostly a new gimmick to sell tvs since there hasn't been any real advancement since 1080p became the norm for content distribution. a $500 tv is gonna suck rear end regardless of gimmicks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why dont they make the tv curved the other way

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

hifi posted:

why dont they make the tv curved the other way

i remember how psyched i was when i got a sony trinitron that had a flat screen back in the day

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i remember how psyched i was when i got a sony trinitron that had a flat screen back in the day

still have one, weighs a loving ton due to how thick they had to make the glass

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hammerite posted:

whats wrong with a curved telly

it's like a parabolic dish for concentrating reflections at your face. every light in the room is reflected at you and it magnifies motion so slight movements of your head create disproportionate motions of the reflections on the tv.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i had one back in college and i asked a friend to help me move it and he was like "what? it's just a tv, i can lift it by myself"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my parents' sarnsung tv will artifact and glitch if there's too much white being displayed in the scene

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

so a guy bought a tv at wallmart and was amazed when it turned out to be poo poo?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my parents' sarnsung tv will artifact and glitch if there's too much white being displayed in the scene

reverse racism!!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol, just lol if you buy a tv for under $20k

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I mean, we already know he chooses things based on aesthetics instead of quality

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

my new house will have a small theater with projector and stressless sofas in a stadium seating setup. I honestly don't understand why you would watch a movie any other way.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweevo posted:

so a guy bought a tv at wallmart and was amazed when it turned out to be poo poo?

also the guy is the chief editor of the internet's largest tech blog, who you would expect to not be a total idiot when buying tvs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

also what the gently caress is Samsung's excuse for not using a matte screen? i don't care if it's a $500 TV, that's shameful

glossy screens "pop" more because the blacks look darker but they're worse at everything else

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Management posted:

also the guy is the chief editor of the internet's largest tech blog, who you would expect to not be a total idiot when buying tvs

and laments not buying a different tv made by vizio, who i have never heard of but am assuming are equally bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

and laments not buying a different tv made by vizio, who i have never heard of but am assuming are equally bad
vizios are usually considered the best of the poverty tier but they got bought by le eco so they'll probably be terrible real soon

ultra lol at dude having a $500 tv budget

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i recently got a new 4k tv after looking at rtings.com and choosing the model that had the features i cared about so I guess I am smarter than the guy whose job it is to pay attention to tech poo poo. look at me. look at me. i am the nilay now

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i have an old LG plasma that overheats i think and turns itself off after an hour, then back on again after about 10 minutes. its probably lovely caps on the power supply board. i could probably open up the back and see, but :effort:

i just dont watch tv for more than an hour at a time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

i recently got a new 4k tv after looking at rtings.com and choosing the model that had the features i cared about so I guess I am smarter than the guy whose job it is to pay attention to tech poo poo. look at me. look at me. i am the nilay now
Post your spiked bracelet

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

vizios are usually considered the best of the poverty tier but they got bought by le eco so they'll probably be terrible real soon

ultra lol at dude having a $500 tv budget

I got a $550 50" 4K Visio at Costco back in June. Works for me, it's for baseball and hockey.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

curved tvs exist for the same reason samsung edge phones exist: to make up a problem that didn't exist that they "solved" with a new tech.

taht said, the lucky goldstar curved screens are pretty mild, but the samsung ones are curved a lot and look bad and dumb

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I'm trying to buy a TV and it's loving terrible

Like they all monitor your viewing habits now gotta have more garbage data for the garbage data throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

same. it was free and picking it up was a pain in the rear end. I don't like how television becomes the focal point of a room so it lives in the closet and is only used for old games

• Locked thread