Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jesus you could buy a projector and make whatever size TV you want. Spend a few extra grand and you can get one powered by lasers.

Or go insane and spend literally less than half as much on something you can light up the side of a building with

EDIT welp looks like this is the year that 4K projectors come down in price

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

potentially doxing myself but a few years ago a verge writer was dating a woman who i used to date and he would very unsubtlely MY GIRLFRIEND her into any pictures he had to insert into his articles so i'd be reading some perfectly innocuous yet tedious piece about, idk, hololenses, or whatever, and suddenly my ex appears in it scowling at me

anyway the point of my story is i had sex once.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

potentially doxing myself but a few years ago a verge writer was dating a woman who i used to date and he would very unsubtlely MY GIRLFRIEND her into any pictures he had to insert into his articles so i'd be reading some perfectly innocuous yet tedious piece about, idk, hololenses, or whatever, and suddenly my ex appears in it scowling at me

lol owned

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

he would very unsubtlely MY GIRLFRIEND her into any pictures he had to insert into his articles

as far as i remember that describes several reviewers

it's almost like when you define your content as "hip and trendy lifestyle" you attract a bunch of writers desperate to prove they live that lifestyle lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeah I'm not getting that part of the story

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

carry on then posted:

as far as i remember that describes several reviewers

it's almost like when you define your content as "hip and trendy lifestyle" you attract a bunch of writers desperate to prove they live that lifestyle lmao

people who can't hack it as drug mules for vice settle for the verge

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i sort of enjoy the weird mix of news on the verge v:shobon:v

if someone can explain to me why ars technica is now ars + cars + local uk morning paper though i would appreciate it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if someone can explain to me why ars technica is now ars + cars + local uk morning paper though i would appreciate it

because nerds have ad blockers and dont generate $$$

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

conde nasty wanted to make ars technical uk but also reuse the same content they're spending money for for ars usa

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ars seems to be slightly confused while trying pretty hard to mold some sort of uncomfortable hip nerd aesthetic that combines science with fast cars with fast money along with boardgames that clicks with nothing n' nobody

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tech journalism is floundering now that "tech" is so mainstream that the audience is everyone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management posted:

tech journalism is floundering now that "tech" is so mainstream that the audience is everyone.

"let me tell you why this product won't succeed because it doesn't have upgradable ram, doesn't play ogg, doesn't run flash, doesn't let me root it, doesn't have a headphone jack"
-- tech press 1999 to forever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ars has had it kinda rough though, losing good in depth writers like stokes and siracusa while only managing to pick up a couple verge-style clickbait writers and ron "six monitors to review phones" amadeo

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

carry on then posted:

ars has had it kinda rough though, losing good in depth writers like stokes and siracusa while only managing to pick up a couple verge-style clickbait writers and ron "six monitors to review phones" amadeo

lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

ars seems to be slightly confused while trying pretty hard to mold some sort of uncomfortable hip nerd aesthetic that combines science with fast cars with fast money along with boardgames that clicks with nothing n' nobody

it's basically the front page of reddit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
Slippery Tilde

aaaahahahahshabababahaha

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hifi posted:

it's basically the front page of reddit

lol

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaaahahahahshabababahaha

that pic & man truly cannot be ridiculed enough

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is an amazingly cringey article, from the opening "lol sportsball I am supposedly technically apt but I don't understand how a car works" paragraph to the aforementioned six-monitor guy to the tedious lists of computer specs straight off of gamefaqs. ugh

I used to read Ars Technica occasionally like 10 loving years ago, but like everything else on the Internet, the comment section was just so, so awful and full of the worst kind of horrible nerds and grognards that I needed to give it up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bulgakov posted:

can't really blame ars for that. people have been getting it wrong forever. in the early 2000s everyone was trying to portray nerds as flame shirt wearing limp bizkit fans playing crazy taxi and watching tony hawk do a 900

poty
Jun 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaaahahahahshabababahaha

this is a kickass setup i love screens i wish i had 60. screens everywhere around me so when im posting and an important email arrives i can do a 360 and see it right away

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

poty posted:

this is a kickass setup i love screens i wish i had 60. screens everywhere around me so when im posting and an important email arrives i can do a 360 and see it right away

i have three and it's great, even if they're all different resolutions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

i, too, wish for the most boring f451 future

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

can't really blame ars for that. people have been getting it wrong forever. in the early 2000s everyone was trying to portray nerds as flame shirt wearing limp bizkit fans playing crazy taxi and watching tony hawk do a 900

I skipped work to go to the 99 xgames and saw tony hawk do the first 900 in competition

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
holy poo poo the writing in that piece is high school af

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
verge editor an idiot?

more like verge idiot an editor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

George posted:

holy poo poo the writing in that piece is high school af

2017_journalism.txt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
past 2 tvs i bought i got with a single dead pixel that made them half price ftw

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Smythe posted:

past 2 tvs i bought i got with a single dead pixel that made them half price ftw

this is very bad for my 'tism

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i kinda want to get one of these to use as a monitor but idk it seems kinda silly

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
kind of, yeah

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

And its loving LCD lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do projectors still need your room completely dark to not look like poo poo

there's a pacific asian place by me that has a long wall with 3-4 projectors on it and they show naruto or whatever on them

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

hifi posted:

do projectors still need your room completely dark to not look like poo poo

i wrote a zillion word post but it was boring so the answer is

yeah, probably

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I used to read Ars Technica occasionally like 10 loving years ago, but like everything else on the Internet, the comment section was just so, so awful and full of the worst kind of horrible nerds and grognards that I needed to give it up

They ran that experiment where in a the middle of an article related to gun control, they put a line that said "If you've read this far, mention bananas in your comment".

first bananas mention was on the third page of comments

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the only comments i read are hacker news ones but even then it's just been confirming my assumptions.

i was going to post this earlier but i spaced on it, that dudes 8 monitor desk looks retarded, if you fullscreen a browser window on a non-laptop you don't deserve more than 1 monitor. that said bolting a pdu under your desk looks like a good idea. my trick for ideal browser width is to go to youtube (for some reason typing in "you" and pressing enter takes me to "youcancallme.al" but i can press tab to search youtube like normal, so i've seen paul simon - you can call me al something like 100 times this week) and then resize the window so it gives me the large video player. it's a little under 2/3rds of 1920 pixels. another fun fact is somehow i have a 2048x1152 monitor (plus the regular 1080p one). i dunno how that ever caught on.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hifi posted:

the only comments i read are hacker news ones but even then it's just been confirming my assumptions.

i was going to post this earlier but i spaced on it, that dudes 8 monitor desk looks retarded, if you fullscreen a browser window on a non-laptop you don't deserve more than 1 monitor. that said bolting a pdu under your desk looks like a good idea. my trick for ideal browser width is to go to youtube (for some reason typing in "you" and pressing enter takes me to "youcancallme.al" but i can press tab to search youtube like normal, so i've seen paul simon - you can call me al something like 100 times this week) and then resize the window so it gives me the large video player. it's a little under 2/3rds of 1920 pixels. another fun fact is somehow i have a 2048x1152 monitor (plus the regular 1080p one). i dunno how that ever caught on.

hell yeah drinking

if u aint and then typed that, then well

glad you ain't my son

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont drink

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hifi posted:

i dont drink

that's a mess of words otherwise. sad!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

like it ain't even a manic clear-headed mess of words worth a pass by a vice editor. shameful slop of english too busy to get rubbed n' tugged at a city overpass on its way to the municipal dump.

gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a friend who writes for ars, mostly on zfs, or various network equipment they send him (recently did an article on various routers, and he hit me up going oh poo poo were you the one telling folks about mikrotik like 5 years back? I got some of their kit it looks like it'll break but it's cheaper, faster, and better than my homebrew bought it off alibaba shitbox).

Also I bought a 43" 1080p TCL for my garage for like $250.

Works for me, good set, disabled network as soon as I got it, don't give a gently caress about roku, just won't you do start up on the HDMI input instead of making me choose each time you shitbox tv.

• Locked thread