Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kengan Ashura is a 2015 manga from Sandrovich Yabako (who also does Danberu nan kiro moteru?) and artist Daromeon (from Ketchup Ninja) and has been called the Baki of the 21th Millenium! It runs on the Ura Sunday Magazine, has won a poll to receive an anime last year and has a hundred loving raw chapters before the scanlators catch up!

Story

Yamashita Kazuo is a depressed salaryman in his 50s and a loser at life. On his way back from the bar, he has a chance encounter with Tokita Ohma, a young fighter who easily defeats an enormous roughneck who just challenged him. This proves to be the foreshadowing of something bigger, as Kazuo's boss, President Nogi, introduces him to manage Ohma as a fighter and compete in the Kengan Association, an underground fighting ring in which every large corporation in Japan participates and solve their differences and competitions by putting fighters to beat the absolute poo poo out of each other!

Why should I read it?

Because it's BAD loving rear end and INSANE. Also it has JERRY TYSON.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like kengan ashura and i'm going to marry adam dudley

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This series is extremely good.

A Baki for the modern age.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Why should you read Kengan Ashura?

It has action!!!

It has comedy!

It has politics! :smugdon:

It has capitalism battles!!

It has anime women! (LGBT friendly)

It has Jerry fuckin' Tyson, the human SCUD missile!!!

And it has these cute intermissions, where the creators talk about their behind-the-scenes process:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Kengan Asura is extremely good

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

I've seen the raws, and I love all these goons

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://www.hokutonogun.com/ is translating it, along with a bunch of other manly series.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I love it.

It is much better than Baki.

I'm going to read it again and again.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Danberu and Kengan. Sandrovich is truly a lover of the muscle arts

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Hell yeah bitch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mary Annette posted:

I love it.

I'm going to read it again and again.

Let's not say things we can't take back now

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Wanna see the big-rear end fishing industry grandpa fight soon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back now

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bushmeister posted:

Old Man Fisher-Dude's match is Round 9 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-006-Ch-042?id=332964#18

We are still at Round 2, and it seems to take about 2 to 3 chapters to go through each round. It's gonna take a while to get to Fishing Grandpa's match.

EDIT: And that's assuming we don't get a sudden interruption to the entire tournament ala Naruto's chunnin exam's final tournament and Orochimaru's invasion.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mary Annette posted:

Bushmeister posted:

:yeah:

Big rear end fishing industry grandpa. Enjoys fishing, beer, and duels to the death.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The fishing grandpa fight starts in chapter 83.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I want to see the fight of "the man from dreams" who's famous catchphrase is "the time for dreams has ended"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

I want to see the fight of "the man from dreams" who's famous catchphrase is "the time for dreams has ended"

That's Donquixote Doflamingo and he was already defeated.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think he means the not-Mickey Mouse guy.

Also, one of the tags in the OP is broken.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kengan ashura is kind of like baki if everyone in baki wasn't covered in grotesque tumors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it takes itself a lot less seriously than baki too. both are good

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kengan ashura is kind of like baki if everyone in baki wasn't covered in grotesque tumors

Hm... Kengan Ashura is kind of like Baki if everyone wasn't male, and there were actually some female characters.

But Jose is right, both are good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jedah posted:

Hm... Kengan Ashura is kind of like Baki if everyone wasn't male, and there were actually some female characters.

But Jose is right, both are good.

There's only 1 that's a fighter though, and she's not even in the tournament.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

There's only 1 that's a fighter though, and she's not even in the tournament.

Sure, but a bunch of the CEOs are women, who are important/influential characters within the context of the story.

Compare that to Baki:
There's Baki's girlfriend, Kozue. And Baki's Mom, Emi. :rip: Neither are fighters.

There's Tokugawa's sister (who appears for like, what, 3 chapters) and who else? Being very generous, we'll include Jack Hanma's Mom, Jane, who is barely ever seen, and Natsuki, Doppo's wife. Although she rarely gets a cameo. Oh, and there's Yujiro's Mom, who was extorted by her infant son.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
All the main characters in the most important work of the Kengan Ashura canon, Danberu nan kiro moteru?, are women.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'd definitely agree that the series could use some more female fighters, but the female characters we have are pretty solid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blazed through the 49 chapters in a single sitting and wow this series is fun.

Wrestler dude is probably my favorite so far. I love his personality and his fighting philosophy a ton, and the concept of a pro wrestler as an entertainer really works in the dude's favor for a series like this and a stage like the Kengan tournament.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wrestler dude is probably my favorite so far. I love his personality and his fighting philosophy a ton

Yeah, he's awesome.

Also, the artist pokes fun at their all-male fighting cast:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jedah posted:

Yeah, he's awesome.

Also, the artist pokes fun at their all-male fighting cast:

The dude's system of "rights" and "responsibility" is really neat and I hope he gets to shine more in the tournament. I like that despite his loss, he's still a really big threat, especially since he gets right back up after the match is over and doesn't really seem to be worse for the wear.

I'm also super interested in the convict dude.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

All the girls in this series are top-tier

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Burbo posted:

Fujoshi secretary is fantastic.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

The dude's system of "rights" and "responsibility" is really neat and I hope he gets to shine more in the tournament.

This guy is a perfect fit for the manga. :allears:

His character design reminds me of some badass wrestlers from the manga Garouden, mixed with WWE wrestlers.

El Burbo posted:

Definitely. Togo Tomari is somehow scary and cute. She's a wonderful broke brained weirdo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I loving love this comic, it's so gratuitously violent and the style is pretty unique for the anime fighting genre as well!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jedah posted:

This guy is a perfect fit for the manga. :allears:

His character design reminds me of some badass wrestlers from the manga Garouden, mixed with WWE wrestlers.

The writer's note about visiting an actual wrestling match and seeing actual thumb tacks being used in matches terrified me, like holy poo poo, what the hell.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Seconding that the portrayal of pro wrestling and indeed everything else about this manga is Top Notch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hate-Senpai posted:

The writer's note about visiting an actual wrestling match and seeing actual thumb tacks being used in matches terrified me, like holy poo poo, what the hell.

Yeah that's called extreme wrestling, it's pretty gross.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also it actually won the poll in 2015 (before mob psycho did), not last year. Hope that happens soon...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait, a 2015 manga?

Doesn't it have way too many chapters to have started in 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It started in 2012, it just won a poll in 2015.