Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Since this is the first fight I wouldn't be surprised if Gaolang lost as a way to drive home Purgatory being a real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want all the purgatory fighters to wound yumigahama because they all liked jose

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I forget, is there a reason that we're supposed to think it's bad for Purgatory to win here? It's seems like the only thing at stake is who controls the Fightman Arbitration organization.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Iirc, it's for who controls Kengan + Purgatory, which in turn is so strong they will control Japan's economy, which in turn will protect the nation from its enemies

Purgatory is portrayed as bad because the people in charge is one guy, manchild

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I forget, is there a reason that we're supposed to think it's bad for Purgatory to win here? It's seems like the only thing at stake is who controls the Fightman Arbitration organization.

Honestly, no. From the perspective of the fighters Seki had the most appropriate reaction. It's just a change of label but the fighters will keep on fighting. From the perspective of the companies it's not actually that terrible either since until we hear more specifics; association won't be losing money from this just losing direct control which only really impacts people in Nogi's position. The biggest game changer would be rule changes to matches overall as to which organization will determine the paradigm. And maybe businesses in the Kengan Association will have to take on new rules for their business settlement matches. I don't think Purgatory would outlaw this practice but probably demand a cut of any battle and broadcasting rights.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's bad from a plot perspective because the worm are bad and they have identified purgatory as a weakness

We dont give a poo poo because Toyota loves kazzy like we do

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

The Kengan Association characters are also the ones we are familiar with giving them a kinda home team feeling.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Now that Kazzy is in charge, the Kengan Association are the de facto underdogs, and therefore we are rooting for them :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mary Annette posted:

Ring out = instant DQ is the only Purgatory rule I don't care for and I hope it doesn't figure into any results but if it was a compromise Nogi had to make to get Jerry and Sayaka as our announcers it was the right call to make.

I think the ring out rule will be very important. It means characters like Julius and Takashi can lose even if their opponents wouldn’t be able to win in a death match. Not to mention the Purgatory fighters are used to these rules while the Kengan ones aren’t.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Two fighters land blows at the same time.

One is knocked out and one is knocked out.

However the one who is knocked out loses because being knocked out is instant, while being knocked out requires a count of 10.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

It's bad from a plot perspective because the worm are bad and they have identified purgatory as a weakness

We dont give a poo poo because Toyota loves kazzy like we do

To be fair, the plot only shows that Purgatory made a deal with Wu to put a fighter on their team. While it's safe to assume there are imposters within purgatory as well, the Kengan association has been corrupted on virtually every level by the worms. There's a lot more obvious rot on Nogi's side of the field right now. Even Ghost didn't get bodysnatched until after he left the purgatory circuit, not during or before.

Toyota went from being an imposing figure in his introduction to a veritable bro. He's not out to kill anyone, had actively aided in the investigation towards the worms in the kengan association, and has tried his hardest to be Kazzy's friend. The whole idea that he is or might be a villain got sidelined ages ago, this is purely business but nothing bad or evil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we don't know what the wu even want, not even in the most vague of terms. they want the kengan association for some reason, but it's all a mystery. they are huge assholes so whatever they want must be bad, but bad for whom? if it's just a matter of screwing over a bunch of ceos then it is nbd.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, the plot only shows that Purgatory made a deal with Wu to put a fighter on their team. While it's safe to assume there are imposters within purgatory as well, the Kengan association has been corrupted on virtually every level by the worms. There's a lot more obvious rot on Nogi's side of the field right now. Even Ghost didn't get bodysnatched until after he left the purgatory circuit, not during or before.

Toyota went from being an imposing figure in his introduction to a veritable bro. He's not out to kill anyone, had actively aided in the investigation towards the worms in the kengan association, and has tried his hardest to be Kazzy's friend. The whole idea that he is or might be a villain got sidelined ages ago, this is purely business but nothing bad or evil.

We're a lot more familiar with the rot in the Kengan association because all of our perspective characters(bar some very brief interludes with Toyoda) are Kengan members or associates. It's entirely possible that like 3/4 of the Purgatory team and/or Toyoda himself are Worm body doubles and we wouldn't know it yet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

We're a lot more familiar with the rot in the Kengan association because all of our perspective characters(bar some very brief interludes with Toyoda) are Kengan members or associates. It's entirely possible that like 3/4 of the Purgatory team and/or Toyoda himself are Worm body doubles and we wouldn't know it yet.

Knowing the kengan side more doesn't change how I look at this. The story has kept the corporate ramifications of the merger mostly non-descript. I don't even know if Nogi would be out of a job but it doesn't seem the case. From the perspective of the fighters who have been given the most time there would be nothing bad that happens. Again, Seki has already shown us this. He directly mentors Jose and nobody is really broken up about who runs the show so long as the show goes on. Putting the worm situation to the side for a second, this is nothing more than Nogi and Toyota reenacting the kengan annihilation tournament stakes a 2nd time around and I don't think anyone considered Katahara a bad person just because he was trying to hold onto his seat of power.

As for worm infiltrators. Toyota has more than proven to be on the ball with how he had Falcon sniff around to find a corpse that shouldn't have even been identifiable to figure out where his former fighter had gone. I doubt his fighters are as compromised as 2/3. I would even doubt beyond the figher Wu recommended they have replaced anyone else on the Purgatory roster. It would be more likely of a bribe but to what end? The only target Wu specifically wants dead is Raian and the remaining targets are in the stands watching the fights unfold.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

We don't really know poo poo about Purgatory's inner workings or really anything about Toyoda beyond the surface level meetings we've seen. It's possible that he's a cool guy who wants to be Kazzy's friend and is treating this all like a big game like Katahara was treating the Kengan Annihilation Tournament, it's possible that he's actually a dickhead who's doing something shady, or it's possible that he's actually a Worm agent and he's playing everyone for fools in an effort to remove the Kengan association from play because the Kengan Association has several high level members who are openly opposing the Worm. Toyoda helping them investigate some nobody one-off fighter who jobbed immediately and was conveniently no longer associated with Purgatory doesn't really prove that he's clean or that Purgatory is uninvolved in any way yet.

We don't know enough yet.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I feel like another reason that Toyoda is nice to Kazzy and the Kengan Krew is because that he is super confident that he will win the tournament. If he become the boss, they're going to be working together in the future anyways.

Same reason why he helped the Kengan Association with the worm, once he becomes boss, they're going to be his problem as well. I suspect he purposely allowed the worm to infiltrate Purgatory as part of his plan to expose them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Also Purgatory's fights actually have sane rules that don't let you brutally murder your opponents.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Three more Danberu posted!

https://mangadex.org/title/19600/danberu-nan-kiro-moteru

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
They post one per day, just like HnG did in their Kengan Rush (everything is translated and edited, they just do typesetting)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

JamMasterJim posted:

They post one per day, just like HnG did in their Kengan Rush (everything is translated and edited, they just do typesetting)

Oh didn't know, I just thought it was a bored scan group picking up something during quarantine and mass releasing. Danberu was like 2 chap released a time, every month or so from the other group.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't think I've asked this yet but: How many of you are ambivalent over Ohma's revival, and the concept of cloning in this story? Did the author plan this from the beginning of Omega?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I don't think I've asked this yet but: How many of you are ambivalent over Ohma's revival, and the concept of cloning in this story? Did the author plan this from the beginning of Omega?

He did literally tells us he merely fell into a long slumber.
And I am still kinda curious what the whole issue about the Tiger's vessel and Worm's overall goal are, so I am not soured on it yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Muteba got given bionic eyes and the doctors blood is a virus and he has bone blades in his arms so not really bothered about cloning

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll decide my stance on the cloning when the story inevitably gets into mind transfers. the current applications are fairly restrained.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Grouchio posted:

I'm not. It even fits with what we learned in asura of the various Nico's running around who would make sense as a bunch of clones trained to be fightmans.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jose posted:

Muteba got given bionic eyes and the doctors blood is a virus and he has bone blades in his arms so not really bothered about cloning

Even Kuroki, who is known around here for being "basic karate man with super strong fundamentals", has fingertips so strong he can carve statues out of stone with them and he can outspeed a gunshot. KA is well beyond realism.

Honestly the only problem I have with Ohma's return is that Ohma's ending in KA was absolutely sublime. If they do cool things with him in KO then it'll be worth bringing him back.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Kanos posted:

Even Kuroki, who is known around here for being "basic karate man with super strong fundamentals", has fingertips so strong he can carve statues out of stone with them and he can outspeed a gunshot. KA is well beyond realism.

Honestly the only problem I have with Ohma's return is that Ohma's ending in KA was absolutely sublime. If they do cool things with him in KO then it'll be worth bringing him back.

Yeah. His death was a strong emotional moment for me and that return soured that a bit. I really hope that Tiger Vessel plot is worth undermining both culmination of previous series and current protagonist story.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I'm fine with Ohma's return as long as he is a side character (i mean even side characters get plenty of time in this comic tho), this should be Koga and Ryuki's story

Also there are like 300 chapters of goodwill and great storytelling that the author has built up, I'm willing to stick it out and see what they have planned

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
a.) There was a sentiment in this thread that it was somehow good and refreshing for Ohma to die pointlessly with no resolution. This never made sense to me and I'd always assumed he was coming back.
b.) Clones don't seem that radical a departure for the series. It's not a topic I find intrinsically interesting but it's like, sure whatever.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 22, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The cloning stuff gives me Baki vibes tbh

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Wave posted:

a.) There was a sentiment in this thread that it was somehow good and refreshing for Ohma to die pointlessly with no resolution. This never made sense to me and I'd always assumed he was coming back.
b.) Clones don't seem that radical a departure for the series. It's not a topic I find intrinsically interesting but it's like, sure whatever.

I felt Ohma had a pretty good resolution initially. He got revenge on the guy that killed his master, reclaimed his memories, and died doing what he loved, fightin'

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean yeah, but at the same time we had foreshadowing of the Tiger Vessel. I get the feeling we are going for a bad end scenario for this tournament or it gets derailed pretty quick

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Ohma's death was a shock to me but it nicely capped off the ending. One poster responded to my comment with "the party couldn't keep going" and it was totally true. He was pushing his body to the limit, he was fight because he loved fighting.

Then he came back... that was super weird imo. I thought he would be in the shadows, fighting the worm but then he was front and centre again??

Maybe the authors planned this then screwed up the execution. Or maybe they're winging it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

I felt Ohma had a pretty good resolution initially. He got revenge on the guy that killed his master, reclaimed his memories, and died doing what he loved, fightin'

Yeah, Ohma closed the book on basically all of his character beats from the beginning of the manga in an immensely satisfying way. The Tiger's Vessel stuff didn't get resolved, but there's nothing that says that Ohma himself had to be the one who investigated and resolved it. Ohma certainly didn't care enough about the Tiger's Vessel nonsense to bow out of the Kengan tournament and not die fighting in order to figure it out, after all, despite being given multiple opportunities to do so.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ohma seemed interested in the other Niko and that kind of requires him

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ohma had to come back because the real point of the manga is fighters hanging out and being idiots and a dead Ohma can't do that.

It's also why one of the few deaths to stick was someone too crazy for that who we have a much calmer clone of now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Side chapter coming in!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad the artist was able to hire enough assistants to stop overworking himself.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 23, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was it ever explained why Ohma using advance doesn't just gently caress up his new heart? Was it explained as the Kure teaching him tricks or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he overused it due to amnesia. moderate use is fine.