Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, he's not aligned with the Chairman or CEO Two-face. At this point I'm assuming Nogi hired him to help accomplish whatever his actual goal is in arranging the Kengan Tournament. I don't think he'd mind being the big cheese, but the way they frame it makes him look like he wants more than just money & power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, I'm really curious about that too. I guess he might be working for two face trying to take out fighters.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Uncle Khasim posted:

This fight is so good. I can't stop re-reading it. I'm even re-reading the fight with him vs Ohma just to get my fix of the magnificence that is Hell's Angel Sekibayashi Jun.

Until your post I had completely forgotten Ouma beat this monster. Holy poo poo Ouma.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You guys know that if the series is popular enough, we'll end up with Sengan Kagura Exceed or whatever, with an even bigger International tournament.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

*rad as heck sumo vs. pro wrestling fight happens*

in an extremely wienery voice: "oh, no thanks, i'd much rather get back to the main plot"

I came off wrong. This fight is cool and I especially like it because I think Japanese pro wrestling is bad rear end, but I think the series would have benefited from cutting the intricate backstories for the jobbers and just skipping ahead to the result (dead guy with little sister, judo psycho) One of this series strengths is its varied characters and good research but I feel like we're a bit lost in the weeds and the roster is already full to bursting with loveable second-tier fighters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I wish this series had a much stricter editor so that we could cut the crap and not still be reading this tournament arc in 2022.

In most cases a tournament arc feels out of place and just a cheap way for the author to showcase fighters without having to properly design multiple encounters. But this arc is literally based around the idea of pit fighters going at it 1v1 and the flow of the story is set up to give proper characterization to pretty much every fighter shown. It works extremely well and it sets Kengan Asura apart from the rest.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sarcophallus posted:

Until your post I had completely forgotten Ouma beat this monster. Holy poo poo Ouma.

What's even more amazing is that Jun pretty much got right back up seconds after the match ended, not looking worse for the wear.

It's nice because it establishes Ouma as the victor of their battle but informs you that Jun is still a loving beast.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've kind of assumed that the entire plan for the series is this tournament arc. Where would you even go from here?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've kind of assumed that the entire plan for the series is this tournament arc. Where would you even go from here?

International Kengan with non-japanese companies

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Lord of Hats posted:

Then it's just a slice of life comedy about Kazuo running the Kengan Association.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
A doubles tournament arc?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Fantasy. Werewolves, Vampires, ogres, trolls.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Aliens invade -> Galactic Tournament

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Aliens invade -> Galactic Tournament

So big bad boys from outer space? Sent here to body slam the human race?

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pewdiepie posted:

I came off wrong. This fight is cool and I especially like it because I think Japanese pro wrestling is bad rear end, but I think the series would have benefited from cutting the intricate backstories for the jobbers and just skipping ahead to the result (dead guy with little sister, judo psycho) One of this series strengths is its varied characters and good research but I feel like we're a bit lost in the weeds and the roster is already full to bursting with loveable second-tier fighters.

I'd say the intricate backstories for even the lamest of jobbers are a really important part of the story for the reason that since everyone is given huge helpings of backstory it basically makes it impossible to determine who will win any given fight(Ouma's fights being the only exception to this), which is a huge weakness of most tournament arcs. When both characters are given the same amount of attention in the pre-match hype build, it makes it really hard to simply go "so and so is obviously going to win". Plus, Kengan Asura is generally really good about keeping even losing fighters around as side and background characters after the fights, so them being established characters who we've had a glimpse into means that it's nice to see the other fighters on the sidelines hanging out and talking.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Even so I don't think there were many surprises so far, if only because the left side had like, 5 guys so far who were either really heavy favorites or built up well before the tournament. (Ohma, Raian, Cosmo, Takeshi, Julius)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brought To You By posted:

If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Even so I don't think there were many surprises so far, if only because the left side had like, 5 guys so far who were either really heavy favorites or built up well before the tournament. (Ohma, Raian, Cosmo, Takeshi, Julius)

Come on man, you're leaving out Sekibayashi, Setsuna, and Mikazuchi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Setsuna and Mikazuchi are on the right side.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

That being said, I wouldn't mind having some idea of what the hell Medicine Man is planning.

I think that even the writer doesn't know that yet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

Setsuna and Mikazuchi are on the right side.

That and I left out Sekibayashi because he's already gotten a fight vs Ohma.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I really wish this had the hundred untranslated chapters finished so I could catch up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Piriwi posted:

I think that even the writer doesn't know that yet.

I'm pretty sure this manga is finished already but just not in English yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The vietnamese TL that has reached the raws is still on the semifinals lol

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I just want you guys to know-

Brought To You By posted:

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

I appreciate you :allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zerilan posted:

I can assure you there will be some surprising results later.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Do the mid battle flashbacks end in round 2 since we'll have already gotten the introductions out of the way or are we going to have them forever?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we only have partial backstories for some of the fighters, like the jerkwad cop.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think Wakatsuki got any backstory at all, only that athlete dude's.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I don't think Wakatsuki got any backstory at all, only that athlete dude's.

there was a very short flashback of him as a kindergartner beating up a bunch of high school students

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The raws are at chapter 199 and in the semi-finals still.

Some winners will get flashbacks.

Some losers won't get flashbacks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo I was so wrong, I thought this was finished.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ah, whoops, wrong prefix. 199 Chapters and they're in the quarter-finals.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

yeah like from a storytelling perspective or whatever obviously this is pretty garbage (esp that chapter that was literally just introducing the fighters and nothing else) but Kengan Ashura has decided to be this and be this so hard that its actually good. You will never read a manga that is more invested in a tournament arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, does there really need to be an overarching storyline besides "BIG BEEFY MEN DUKE IT OUT SO THEIR CORPORATE OVERLORDS CAN RULE THE JAPANESE ECONOMY?"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: BIG BEEFY SHIRTLESS MEN

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
BIG BEEFY SEMI-ATTRACTIVE SHIRTLESS MEN?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of them are very attractive, yes.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

I mean, does there really need to be an overarching storyline besides "BIG BEEFY MEN DUKE IT OUT SO THEIR CORPORATE OVERLORDS CAN RULE THE JAPANESE ECONOMY?"

agreed, all else is secondary to this bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The entire premise of the manga is a tournament arc so it's okay that it's a tournament arc.