Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I can't wait for Thanos appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
daromeon specifically said NOT to make these type of requests

https://twitter.com/daromeon/status/1321250071430582272?s=20

he cannot help us

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, no Shang Chi after all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

yum posted:

daromeon specifically said NOT to make these type of requests

https://twitter.com/daromeon/status/1321250071430582272?s=20

he cannot help us

This doesn't say I can't ask for goro from mortal Kombat to appear though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since the cowards at Tekken won't do it I was going to ask Daromeon to be the man to put Kazama Kiryu in his manga tournament but I'm denied even in this format!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fabricated posted:

It's mostly weird because the Niko style was developed to overcome the issues with the Gaou style really just being a utilitarian style to get by. Gaou developed the Niko style and trained a bunch of people, presumably an entire generation.

So what's the timeline? Was it really only like 15-20 years ago? It felt like the Niko style had been kicking around a while with the various Nikos, including the one who trained Ohma, but Gaou was still alive to train a kid in an older style? Or did he develop Niko style after?

Timeline as best known is

Gaou comes into the bad areas of japan/tokyo in KenganVerse and tries to "CLEAN UP THIS MESS" with his fists as a young man. Eventually develops what will become the Niko Style along the way. During this period of 20-30 years he realizes that one man can't do it alone so he comes up with making an army who will all depend to be the same dude, the Nikos. Persumably he bangs at least one chick along the way and has a child of his own in this time frame. The Niko Project itself goes bad in that they basically Highlander each other rather than working as a team, (probably due to worm, there is some long going poo poo between Gaou and the Worm) Surviving Niko meets Ohma who is quite possibly a Clone of Gaou created by the Worm, this leads to Kengan Asura. Meanwhile Gaou's descendant has a kid of their own who looks a lot like Grandpa but not 100% which is Ryuki. Gaou ends up raising the child (probably due to Worm based events.) Gaou teaches Ryuki what he knows but also the importance of murdering the heck out of the worm. Gaou possibly passes away at some point either shortly before or shortly after the events of Kengan Asura and Ryuki basically wanders until he arrives at the Kengan Association, and this leads to the events of Omega. Gaou was in his 50s or 60s when he did the Niko Project. Probably in his 70s through 80s raising Ryuki.

There is some speculation on Gaou based events that will probably get revelation later on in Omega (maybe in some Ryuki flashbacks this fight.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

and you call it a worm despite the fact it is obviously a centipede?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
centipedes are just worms wearing clothes

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Has anyone seen the raws to know if the centipede/worm confusion is reflected in the original Japanese? The Worm certainly sounds and has stronger connotations than the Centipede in English, but Naidan's tat...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope the next time someone flashes a worm tattoo it's drawn like a snake or an eel or something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Caidin posted:

I hope the next time someone flashes a worm tattoo it's drawn like a snake or an eel or something.

double impostor

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Its a worm with legs. A Superior Worm to reflect their goal of attaining the Superior Human

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Worms used to have legs until the Original Sin

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

So, the character they use for the Worm is 蟲, chong, which in Japanese is "mushi." Same as Mushishi. In both Chinese and Japanese this translates to something closer to "bug." The thing is, the general "bug" category this covers, especially in Chinese, includes basically anything gross and slithery on the ground. It is sometimes used to refer to everything from earthworms to snakes, and has been translated as "wug (worm+bug)." It also has an implication of hidden infiltration- stuff that erupts from burrows and beneath the earth- and poison.

I think the translators are using "Worm" in an attempt to preserve the implication of infiltration/burrowing. Worms do fall under chong so it's not incorrect.

On another note, the Gu ritual (the thing Agito got shoved into as a child) is directly related to chong. The folkoric recipe for the perfect Gu poison is to put hundreds of chong in a sealed container and milk the poison of whatever survives, as that must have absorbed and multiplied the poison of the other chong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

For anyone who reads this manga and hasn't seen it the night comes for us on netflix is the cloestest you're ever gonna get in love action form

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That sounds p sweet I will have to try and remember that!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K Prime posted:

On another note, the Gu ritual (the thing Agito got shoved into as a child) is directly related to chong. The folkoric recipe for the perfect Gu poison is to put hundreds of chong in a sealed container and milk the poison of whatever survives, as that must have absorbed and multiplied the poison of the other chong.

Yeah that's why i think Agito was probably going to be a Worm recruit before Metsudo's people had him rescued (and related to why Metsudo has a bone to pick with the Worm)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1092374/1

poor horsey

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah that's why i think Agito was probably going to be a Worm recruit before Metsudo's people had him rescued (and related to why Metsudo has a bone to pick with the Worm)

I do think the masked man in Purgatory is a clone of Agito since they have a near identical stature and a similar hair pattern on the back of the head and come on, he's a masked fighter in an arc that introduced clones. For all the mirror matches this tournament has thrown at us, it's time we got an actual faceoff between palette swapped characters.

So Nidain despite being an absolute monster is here to literally die for the cause? A bold move, guess Ryuki is just that important to sacrifice one of their top men

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Brought To You By posted:

I do think the masked man in Purgatory is a clone of Agito since they have a near identical stature and a similar hair pattern on the back of the head and come on, he's a masked fighter in an arc that introduced clones. For all the mirror matches this tournament has thrown at us, it's time we got an actual faceoff between palette swapped characters.

So Nidain despite being an absolute monster is here to literally die for the cause? A bold move, guess Ryuki is just that important to sacrifice one of their top men

That is 100% what is being implied

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i am very sad :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Waste of a world class fighter. I hope this tiger vessel nonsense turns out to be an actually fruitful plan worth spending all these resources to acquire

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

if he's identical to agito it is more likely that agito is the clone.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Waste of a world class fighter. I hope this tiger vessel nonsense turns out to be an actually fruitful plan worth spending all these resources to acquire

this is so loving funny to me that people are concerned about the proper allocation of resource of a shadowy organization of assassins in a manga. Like "oh no, I hope the HR department at the worm is ready for the influx of new hires after raian and ohma killed like 50 of their members"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eustace posted:

this is so loving funny to me that people are concerned about the proper allocation of resource of a shadowy organization of assassins in a manga. Like "oh no, I hope the HR department at the worm is ready for the influx of new hires after raian and ohma killed like 50 of their members"

The investors in this ancient assassin guild really aren't gonna be happy!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

AtomikKrab posted:

ghost naidan watching himself fight from heaven

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope he filed an expense report for that literal out of body experience.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the out of body sight poo poo reminds me of the last arc of tough lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eustace posted:

I've been thinking this since the fight when Ohma showed up. Remember how all those low level grunts that didn't die to Raian all died to the poison they consumed beforehand? Makes perfect sense for the rank and file worms to be 100% expendable, outside the guy impersonating a Kengan official those guys are probably entry level impostetrs. But Naidan here directly reports to the top brass in this organization and they just sent him here to trigger Ryuki and die.

I demand my shadowy organization of assassins be more conservative in their efforts. You don't spend half a decade training a guy, who then kills your trainer who could have raised more recruits, and then send him on a completely avoidable suicide mission. It might help if we actually knew what they wanted with Ryuki that a blood sample and quick cloning couldn't accomplish.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if he's identical to agito it is more likely that agito is the clone.
Maybe? But we know Agito was in a Gu experiment they were running before Metsudo found him so if mask de smith is an Agito lookalike, I would read it as the Worms recouping what they lost with a backup.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I was going to say about Tough. Especially since it's the only series I think I've seen Mongolian wrestling in too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think that when Monkhbat said he was going to demonstrate the power of the Tiger’s Vessel, he meant Ryuki, and that seems to be the #1 goal for the Worms, everything else be damned

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Call me crazy but I get the impression that they want Ryuki to fight out to take his oppenent's life as part of their goal. He'll still lose but somehow pushing him to be more like the cop helps their plans going forward somehow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So the guy who thinks of himself as the only Niko style heir is on the purgatory side as well right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jose posted:

So the guy who thinks of himself as the only Niko style heir is on the purgatory side as well right?

Yeah, "Tiger's Vessel" is part of the Purgatory roster. Or was. Maybe he bailed and mystery second Worm is some other random rear end in a top hat.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Going by these two pages it would seem that he's not since you can count all 13 purgatory reps in his speculation. Meaning that Edward didn't ask for more than the one slot he got from Chapter 13 which would be Alan Wu. The tiger vessel guy is spectating this one just like the other 2 worm executives from the Asura epilogue.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Plutonis posted:

the out of body sight poo poo reminds me of the last arc of tough lol

I'm actually re-reading Tough right now and just got to the part where Kiibo sees himself fighting from a bird's eye view lol.

Wonder if its an homage or something.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
We can safely eliminate Alan Wu and the first 4 purgatory fighters since the tiger's vessel infiltrator referred to them specifically as separate from themself. The tiger's vessel infiltrator is probably one of the 8 remaining purgatory fighters and is standing among them in that second page group shot wondering if any of them are also worm infiltrators.

Terada, the mysterious masked man, is the most obvious choice from an aesthetic standpoint, which makes me doubt it's him. He also seems to be playing the role of the semi clueless mid level fighter that Lolong corrects a lot of the time.

Liu Dongcheng, the man that Naidan whispered to just before this fight is another majorly suspicious possibility, though he did seem more confused than anything at Naidan's whispers. He looks incredibly similar to the mysterious figure that was the tiger's vessel in the Ashura Epilogue in terms of build, and the shoes/pants they wore looked quite similar as well. He also mentioned something odd about his "father's will" saying he couldn't go first in the opening of the tournament. I'd call Liu the definite frontrunner.

Another similarly suspicious character is Arashiyama Jurota. Based on the positioning of Alan Wu next to the blacked out figure compared to the group shot if that was taken into consideration by Daromeon, he's perfectly positioned to be the mysterious figure, and was also one of the few who recognized Kazzy as a major threat.

Lolong Donaire is another decent possibility since he's being set up as the big final boss of purgatory, though I think it's more likely his allegiances lie firmly with purgatory. The rest of them with one exception seem pretty unremarkable so far and I haven't seen enough to guess at their allegiances.

The exception would be Lu Tian, the wildcard in the trenchcoat and formal wear. He has the moniker "Three Demon Fists:Centipede" and had a somewhat early presence in the story so he's my personal favorite guess for the infiltrator at the moment, but it's still a bit of a long shot. He isn't built like a main character, but neither was Kuroki, and he is covering most of his body in layers of thick clothes so he could be hiding a full body worm tat under there. At the very least I think that he is a worm, if not the main one.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 6, 2020

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i love those /a/ edits

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I loving love Naidan, ultimate jobber v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

[speculation]

So, it's gonna be Fei Wangfang, isn't it?