Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - https://bato.to/reader#a1fde634738b9d26

"Talking is an integral part of pro-wrestling." :hellyeah:

Holy poo poo this chapter is so good.

It really shows how effective Jun's form of fighting can be when up against the right opponent. It didn't really work on Ouma, cause Ouma got manhandled and had to bust out his super mode so the fight ended relatively quickly, but in this long, grueling, brutal slugfest, we see that Jun's really good and creating a storyline, playing the crowd, and mentally getting to his opponent.

It's especially notable given that Jun is considered one of the older (in terms of age) fights, whereas Kiozan vanished.

It's not just a fight between 2 beefy dudes or 2 different forms of martial arts, it's a clash between the younger generation and the older, with a grizzled unyielding veteran against a hot-tempered impulsive youngster. It's a fight about your pride in your art and opposing ideals.

It's the best fight ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jun wins by DQ due to his opponent leaving, pro wrestling is real and it is the most powerful martial art known to man.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I believe in pro wrestling.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mary Annette posted:

I believe in pro wrestling

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo I didn't realize this connection.

Bando (the convict) is a former Teito University student.

His opponent, the doctor dude, is the fighter for Teito University.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's like the 4th grudge match.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Teito had a lower seed too, so they specifically picked that match.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Man the next few fights up until Murder Doctor Duel are gonna be so HYPE as well

this is the best series

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The 2nd bracket definitely has the more interesting fights, yeah.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He was on track to become a doctor, but he couldn't help himself with his little raiding yakuza offices habit. Truly a tragic tale. I never caught that it was a grudge match, good find!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

McTimmy posted:

Teito had a lower seed too, so they specifically picked that match.

Ooh, that's interesting.

Looking at the other 3 grudge matches...

1) Jun vs Kiozan
Gandai was 16 and Magatanien was 5.

2 Gozo vs Wakatsuki
United Clothing was 19 and Furumi Pharmaceuticals was 13.

3) Sen vs Chiba
Nogi was 28 and Yoshitake was 21.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's another grudge match: Naoya vs Agito(aka Fang). Muji TV had 4th(iirc) choice for the bracket but they chose the "worst" spot.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And then I ended up being really interested in the order + placement so I numbered them and color coded them.

Interesting stuff.

Most of this stuff is probably just me overthinking it, but it's fun to do so!

Until Muteba vs Meguro (4 vs 10), the CEOs avoided choosing one another as their opponent. After that you get plenty of matchups between the the first 10 and the second 10 CEOs.

Also, as expected, most of the CEOs who got to pick first tried to stay away from Kanoh as much as possible. The first 5 all chose to stay away, then Muji TV for some reason decided to take on Kanoh right off the bat. CEOs 11 to 20 also tried to avoid the right bracket when possible it seems. The corner with Kanoh has 6, 8, 17, 21, 28, 29, 30. Assuming Teito (17) is set on exacting revenge on Bando (Juoh is 8), then with the exception of Yoshitake Real Estate, everyone else didn't really have much choice. The only other option for them was where Rihito ended up, fighting against Kuroki Gensai. Maybe the dude's a loving big deal, or maybe the CEOs figured that they could stake their chance on Muji TV's fighter dealing considerable damage to Kanoh. Given that Muji TV's corporate ranking is 4th place, that's not a wild fantasy.

Granted, corporate ranking =/= fighter ability. Byakuya News has a corporate ranking of 3 but their fighter got utterly chumped by the Chinese dude that Hayami hired.

Hayami claims to have 2 people on his side passing to Round 2. We know Julius is one of them, but it's questionable who the other one is. The fighters on the left bracket are Cosmo, Akoya, Raian, Ouma, Wakatsuki, Julius, and Muteba. I figure you can strike off Ouma cause there's no way in hell that's happening, but it's really hard to guess among the rest. Togo (weapons dealer) doesn't seem to be someone who'd bow down to someone else, and given that her fighter had to fight against Meguro, who's working for Hayami, it seems doubly unlikely. Under Mount's CEO is too devoted to Kenzo to do such a thing, so unless Kenzo ordered him to work with Hayami, I don't think it's likely. Wakatsuki is up against Julius, and the two were literally 2 numbers away in the selection order (11 for Hayami, 13 for Furumi) so I don't think that's likely? Which leaves Cosmo and Akoya. Eh, who knows. Hayami was able to blackmail the Murder Music chick cause her company was relatively small, but none of the other companies in the left bracket (except Kazzy) are small enough for him to push around that easily.

It's also weird that Hayami placed Julius in a matchup that would pit him against Meguro in the semifinals if both fighters passed. Especially since Umichi was 10 and Hayami was 11. What were you thinking, Hayami?????

Also weird is that the Under Mount dude placed himself in a position to go up against Kazzy in Round 2, since Kazzy is Kenzo's dad. Given the jamming signal, Kenzo probably couldn't reach him, but even so, you'd think he might have gone for the spots that 25, 27, or 31 took.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Which also means that Gozo literally meant it when he thanked his employee for giving him the chance to go against Wakatsuki again. I thought it was just "thanks for letting me fight in the Kengan matches where I had the chance of going up against Wakatsuki", but it was actually "thanks for ensuring that I am guaranteed to have a rematch with Wakatsuki."

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Cosmo and Wakatsuki were both targeted by Hayami's replacement fighters. As was Rei on the right side.

Hayami said he has six secured slots.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

McTimmy posted:

Cosmo and Wakatsuki were both targeted by Hayami's replacement fighters. As was Rei on the right side.

Hayami said he has six secured slots.

Oh yeah, that completely slipped my mind. Can't be Cos or Waka then.

We know 3 of the 6 slots Hayami has secured (Julius, Meguro, Ren).

We know he approached Kenny, but that was after the boat trip, so even if Kenny (and Kaneda by virtue) are on Hayami's team, they'd be the 7th and not the 6th.

We had 4 fighters pass through from the pre-tournament elimination - Ouma, Rihito, Sawada, and Yoshinari (big grandpa fisherman). Among them, Murder Music (ranked 87, represented by Sawada) was targeted. Kazzy wasn't, and there's nothing to target Rihito with (he's his own fighter, and he doesn't really have an actual business worth threatening). That leaves Yoshinari, whose company is ranked 382. That's super loving low. Among the ranks we know, the only ones lower are Kazzy and Rihito (unranked) and that chick who bet on Ouma (414 out of 417). So his employer is a potential target I guess.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

Oh yeah, that completely slipped my mind. Can't be Cos or Waka then.

We know 3 of the 6 slots Hayami has secured (Julius, Meguro, Ren).

We know he approached Kenny, but that was after the boat trip, so even if Kenny (and Kaneda by virtue) are on Hayami's team, they'd be the 7th and not the 6th.

We had 4 fighters pass through from the pre-tournament elimination - Ouma, Rihito, Sawada, and Yoshinari (big grandpa fisherman). Among them, Murder Music (ranked 87, represented by Sawada) was targeted. Kazzy wasn't, and there's nothing to target Rihito with (he's his own fighter, and he doesn't really have an actual business worth threatening). That leaves Yoshinari, whose company is ranked 382. That's super loving low. Among the ranks we know, the only ones lower are Kazzy and Rihito (unranked) and that chick who bet on Ouma (414 out of 417). So his employer is a potential target I guess.

wouldve been great if they originally targeted kazzy but then he 'targeted' them first with the soda can and they're like whoa ok lets back off

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

where the red fern gropes posted:

wouldve been great if they originally targeted kazzy but then he 'targeted' them first with the soda can and they're like whoa ok lets back off

Kazzy's bloodlust was so great that it overwhelmed and shut down Julius' bloodlust detection senses. Of course they'd be intimidated after such a display of ruthless aggression.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So Jun is about to get hosed probably

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I really hope Jun gets a win here. He's way more interesting in the long run than the sumo man. But then again a benched Jun joining the peanut gallery could be fun. But more pro wrestling would be way better.

The author has an odd idea regarding a "sadistic look" imo. That concept art just came across as :geno: to me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the haters need to understand that sumo man is about to body slam jun into hell and theres nothing anyone can do about it

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the haters need to understand that sumo man is about to body slam jun into hell and theres nothing anyone can do about it

But that ain't gonna stop Jun from having his FUN. Sumo man is going to be introduced to some more cool rear end suplexes in a moment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where is your unshakeable faith in Jun now peons?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Venuz Patrol posted:

Sumo Man has disappeared from the arena, fleeing in terror after seeing the power of pro wrestling, as of the latest chapter.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope Sumo man wins because I want to see him ascend to new levels of upset.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gozo is the creepiest looking character in this comic, followed by the ex-medical student guy. Gozo's smile scares me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sumo man getting real angry as a spectator would be cool and good

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Ytlaya posted:

Gozo is the creepiest looking character in this comic, followed by the ex-medical student guy. Gozo's smile scares me.

However, having just re-read it, Gozo's fight is one of the best in the series. Its short, but it hits all the high notes of the series. Crazy backstories, peak muscle man, supersonic action, bone-crunching damage. All in the span of two chapters

edit: also im betting the not-Disney fighter is gonna be some sort of anorectic super-freak to rival Gozo in the expression department

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jun has to win, because otherwise how is he going to inspire the former STRONGEST MAN OF THE HIMALAYAS to become a pro wrestler?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jun has to win, because otherwise how is he going to inspire the former STRONGEST MAN OF THE HIMALAYAS to become a pro wrestler?

He has to lose to show him that it's okay to lose.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bushmeister posted:

However, having just re-read it, Gozo's fight is one of the best in the series. Its short, but it hits all the high notes of the series. Crazy backstories, peak muscle man, supersonic action, bone-crunching damage. All in the span of two chapters

edit: also im betting the not-Disney fighter is gonna be some sort of anorectic super-freak to rival Gozo in the expression department

They really did a great job of building up a first round loser as an absolute monster, and his opponent as an even bigger monster. It felt like Gozo would have gone 2 or 3 rounds with a different bracket. We're gonna be getting Reinhold v Wakatsuki in the second round and I can't loving wait for it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Venuz Patrol posted:

im going to go with the ironic prediction and say that the plot sets up like haru is going to be inspired by jun, but sumo guy crushes him and haru decides to take up sumo instead

hope youre ready for this

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Venuz Patrol posted:

He's the loving Hell's Angel.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jun is 1000x times cooler than the Sumo man

Maybe if Sumoan was a Sumo and not some big bitch who wanted to do not Sumo but had to make his 'primal sumo" which is just Sumo styled take downs and strikes + a kick

I know we've seen his teleport headbutt before so I'm assuming that it happening the second time but in a Actually Fight it's not gonna fly since this isn't random mook or a former sparring partner this is Jun

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

RareAcumen posted:

Where is your unshakeable faith in Jun now peons?

I believe in Jun just like I believe in Helck.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Eopia posted:

I believe in Jun just like I believe in Helck.

Helck would be a phenomenal pro wrestler.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Helck cut a number of good promos on the human race during the demon tournament at the start of the series.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I was dumb and read the RAWs, so I can't say anything. But I love how passionate you guys are about this fight, it's definitely one of the best we've seen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I skimmed through the raws really quickly so I'd forget most of the details, that way I get to read it twice. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I skimmed the raws but this was way back and I only got as far as Raian fighting that dude and him waking up under the doctor's care before I gave up since I couldn't tell what anyone was saying.