Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm rereading the translated 'ga now and it's making me laugh how the businessman guy's character is he's super perceptive & in chapter 2 he's floored by the revelation that you have to kill things in order to eat them.

It is kind of a recurring point that his extreme perceptiveness is subconscious. He just kind of picks stuff on gut feeling and it ends up being exactly right without him knowing why it's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I felt the fight itself was extremely weak and lame("heh, you could take me...at 10% of my real power level!") but I really liked Inaba's background and his relationship with the CEO.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rangpur posted:

My favorite quick joke of this fight was the panel of Yohei (convicted murderer) and Muteba (tattooed merc) pondering what a shocking technique it is to use your own hair as a weapon. They're both totally bald.

It seems beyond obvious to mention it now, but establishing most of the fighters are just there to do a job turned out to be a smart move. Reading about this bag of mixed nutcases bouncing off each other between fights is one of my favorite parts of the series.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Even Ohma, who definitely just likes fighting dudes, is basically completely chill outside the arena.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fellis posted:

Yo as brutal as this series is, the little relationship things are super heartwarming and make everything own that much more. I know it's been said a lot but drat do I enjoy the slice of life of this setting and the CEOs/Fighters

Also can't wait for the Kure clan sniper to crossover into the other series

The thing that separates this from a lot of other fightmans manga is that except for a couple of rear end in a top hat characters the fighting generally stays in the ring. Like two people can beat each other nearly to death and then in the next issue they'll be sitting sipping mojitos next to each other in their bandages. It rules.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jon joe posted:

I actually kind of like the guy who says he needs no techniques. I hope he comes back after his defeat (as is this series' modem operandi) so he can defeat more fighters with flexing.

Being able to block attacks that should break your bones by simply flexing certain insanely overdeveloped muscle groups is a technique in and of itself, so he's kind of a hypocrite.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZeroCount posted:

I want Muteba to win because his CEO loving rules and he's over the top enough to be kinda fun too. He's got a literal fight boner. I don't give a poo poo about the slavering beastman dude who so far has just been 'crazy' in all the most generic ways.

Yeah in a cast of pretty interesting characters beastman dude has been pretty much "ya ha ha, I am anime crazy because I LOOOOOOVE KILLING DUDES!!!!" Maybe his backstory dump will make him more interesting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eopia posted:

At this point I want both these jerks to lose.

Edit- I'm also expecting some kind of twist like the Genocider was already blind or something as well otherwise no matter who wins they're both pretty crippled for future fights.

I actually think this might be the case. Muteba's blank white eyes coupled with his first comment being "your breathing is very heavy" instead of wondering why the gently caress Meguro is crying tears of blood make me believe that he might have already been blind.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

muteba's fun in the ring but lets face it meguro versus sekibayashi would be way more fun since they both have infinite endurance

also lets not forget that muteba's a weirdo sex pervert

Calling the dude fighting AGAINST Meguro the weird sex pervert is kind of .

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That was probably the most clinical deconstruction of an opponent in the series so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

On the one hand, I want to see more of the actual plot.

On the other hand, this crossover is so absurd that I'm okay with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

I came off wrong. This fight is cool and I especially like it because I think Japanese pro wrestling is bad rear end, but I think the series would have benefited from cutting the intricate backstories for the jobbers and just skipping ahead to the result (dead guy with little sister, judo psycho) One of this series strengths is its varied characters and good research but I feel like we're a bit lost in the weeds and the roster is already full to bursting with loveable second-tier fighters.

I'd say the intricate backstories for even the lamest of jobbers are a really important part of the story for the reason that since everyone is given huge helpings of backstory it basically makes it impossible to determine who will win any given fight(Ouma's fights being the only exception to this), which is a huge weakness of most tournament arcs. When both characters are given the same amount of attention in the pre-match hype build, it makes it really hard to simply go "so and so is obviously going to win". Plus, Kengan Asura is generally really good about keeping even losing fighters around as side and background characters after the fights, so them being established characters who we've had a glimpse into means that it's nice to see the other fighters on the sidelines hanging out and talking.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The entire premise of the manga is a tournament arc so it's okay that it's a tournament arc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

This has got me real worried how his next fight is gonna play out. Mutaba seems like the worst opponent he could have.

A policy of taking every blow for the sake of putting on a show is a really bad policy to have when your opponent is a guerilla warfare assassin who specializes in permanently killing/maiming people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Kaneda's style literally required him to have the poo poo beaten out of him so he could get used to his opponent's style.

I don't think he's gonna last long.

This is actually why I'm interested in Jun vs Muteba. Pro-wrestling pride forcing you to soak up all your opponent's attacks might not be the best plan against a guy who is actually trying to destroy your body's ability to function rather than fight you. It worked against Sumo Lad because Sumo Lad was trying to prove a point about his personal style of martial art rather than trying to simply murder Jun from the get go.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 23, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's amazingly impressive that the terrifying bendy mass murderer is debatably the less unsettling competitor here.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

From a societal point of view Bando losing is the dramatically better option, because he's a crazy mass murderer and Doctor Death is actually an extremely competent doctor who doesn't kill people at random.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

didn't he exclusively kill yakuza? that's a victimless crime.

He's basically a government-sanctioned assassin, so he gets sent in to kill people who the government can't bring to justice in a normal way. Still evil as poo poo but way less evil than random mass murder.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah they didn't actually explain what Kaneda's deal is, just that he's always been weird.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He's a boxer, not a kickboxer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Begemot posted:

The reveal was this chapter!

He was only using regular boxing and not MMA or kickboxing because he didn't think Kaneda was worth it.

Yeah, this is what I was thrusting at and didn't make it clear enough, my bad. He's fighting as a boxer because he's here on a job and that's his professional vocation, not kickboxer(despite him having that knowledge). He doesn't view any of these opponents as worth fighting for the sake of it until Kaneda suddenly is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's entirely possible that he started off in Muay Thai at the beginning of his career but all of his actual mastery, skill, and experience comes from being a boxer and his Muay Thai isn't actually that good so he doesn't use it. Every character in the manga identifies him as a boxer and that seems to be where all of his fame comes from, so it's probably safe to say that he's just a boxer.

I guess maybe he could bust it out in a desperate situation where boxing isn't working?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

i hope fang turns out to be an incredibly basic person who is just really interested in fighting

This is what I immediately thought. I just assumed that the dude had focused so much on training and fighting to become the beast he is that he didn't have time or care for anything else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hubris is a pretty common trait in this series, since most of the characters are freakish superhuman prodigies of training and talent or the heirs to ancient assassination techniques or the best athletes in the world in their field.

The subtitle for the series might as well be Pride Goeth Before The Fall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That guy falls into the "freakish superhuman prodigy of talent and training" category. It's just that his training is to be really good at bullshitting instead of punching.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rihito is super dangerous to anyone who isn't a freak of nature or a peerless master of their martial art because him just touching you causes horrific bleeding wounds. It's like how martial arts instructors will tell you the best way to fight unarmed against a guy with a knife is to run the gently caress away if possible.

His big matches just had him against a freak of nature(Ohma) and a peerless master(Gensai). If Rihito was one of these weirdo assassin clan prodigies or a professional fighter instead of a guy who works at a packing company during the day and fights people in parking garages by night he'd probably be a nightmare to face.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The scary thing about Muteba vs Jun isn't that Jun will stand there and soak up his attacks until he dies, it's that all it takes is Jun to try to soak the wrong attack one single time for Muteba to gouge his eyes out or smash his windpipe or pop his eardrums or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Fishing Grandpa may be dead because of Saw Paing

It's understood that if you willingly step into a Kengan ring there's a non-zero chance you're gonna die.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bushmeister posted:

edit: oh no this is not gonna end well because that cop is a murderous psycho and is not gonna stand down if told to

Yeah the lovely cop has already proven that he doesn't give a poo poo about his CEO's opinion when it doesn't help him justice murder people so if she tells him to stand down he's gonna go "i guess you are worthless to me" and keep going without her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mary Annette posted:

This bad apple is spoiling the bunch!

Hiyama - can't control murdercop, knows murdercop may go wild and kill spectators, has no contingency plan whatsoever

Nishihonji - actually not a bro, not a bro at all!

Well, we already knew that Hiyama and murdercop's relationship was deeply unhealthy and super hosed up from the getgo so it's not entirely surprising that she has absolutely no way to rein him in. As for Nishihonji, well, he lays it out. As nice as he is, he did willingly recruit a high schooler to fight in pseudo death matches for his personal gain, and sending a fighter into the Kengan matches is something you only do if you're willing to see that fighter get horribly killed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah she's much more interested in validation from him than he is in her help.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Girl just needs therapy to get over the realization that her cousin murdered her uncle and dad and tried to kill her and maybe make friends who aren't an immoral arms dealer and crazy murder cop.

But mostly the murder cop.

At least the immoral arms dealer cares about her well-being.

While she is definitely mentally disturbed, she's also a direct accessory to Akoya's murder spree. Like she's gone beyond being a passive victim to actively helping this guy honeypot people to murder them. It's a little beyond "she just needs some friends and therapy" at this point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ohma has kind of been doing a slow burn character arc where it's all but stated that the Ohma we've seen fight up to this point isn't the "real" Ohma, which is good, because the Ohma we've seen fight so far has basically just been doing a knockoff of the Kure Clan thing.

Given how basically every real fight has been loving insane so far, I've got high hopes for Ohma, Except He Actually Remembers How To Do The Niko Style.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think there'll be a lot of room for Ohma to bounce off people once he starts to work his personal issues out a little.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

How you gonna work on your personal issues without other persons?

He's going through a weird amnesia thing right now where he's slowly beginning to remember who or what he is on his own. Seems to be working out so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Raian is the single most boring fighter in this entire tournament, and that includes the gibbering insane guy and Mockey.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

The thing I don't like about the power-up is that it's not really clear how much stronger it makes people. Like, how would Raian with "removal" fare against Julius or the nice swole guy I forget the name of (the one who people have commented on having a chance against the Fang)?

With the sole except of the power-ups, fighters' physical strength seems to mostly correspond to their actual size/muscle mass, which makes sense.

For me, one of the things this manga is best at is how attacks line up with the fighters getting hurt. Rihito ripping part of your skin off is treated as a big deal. Gigantic hits like Akoya landed on Imai had an obvious toll and added to the tension of the fight. Muteba vs the crazy dude was a cringe-inducing nightmare fight. Even Jun soaking up punishment and fighting through isn't treated as him shrugging it off, he's obviously suffering, he's just bearing it.

So it bugs me that in this fight we see Raian take a bunch of gigantic huge smash attacks that in most of the other fights would have had serious consequences but instead it turns out that due to his Naruto powerup he just...didn't take any damage. It makes it harder to parse what matters in the fight when that kind of stuff happens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

I like how Julius and Niko have the same idea about techniques.

From completely different angles, too. "Techniques are required for the weak to defeat the strong" leads to both "Therefore I'll come up with the best techniques to defeat anyone" and "Therefore I'll become so unbelievably strong that I simply don't need techniques".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Do you love named techniques? Because that's what we're getting all the time now

I'm cool with this being a thing mostly restricted to Ohma, because the Niko style is the heart and soul of his character and it's supposed to be his big moment when he finally embraces it. It gives him flavor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm really curious how they're going to address Ohma's health, since we now have explicit confirmation that Ohma has been killing himself as long as he's been using the Advance. Add that to getting kicked around by Raian and it seems like he should be about ready to die or be permanently crippled, heartwarming revelation or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Okay, I laughed my rear end off at Julius's backstory. "He took so many goddamn steroids that he became a superman!"