Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fereydun posted:

gensai is going to make it to grand finals because he is akuma and the master of the fist

I have Gensai pegged as a final boss or almost final boss figure. He seems to have knowledge about Important Stuff like Niko and everyone who is theoretically in the know avoided him like the plague while seeding, even preferring to fight the Fang instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It turns out that maybe it helps to have some techniques even if you're like, really, really strong.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JamMasterJim posted:

So Hayami hired like a dozen fighters, got two extra spots and all his fighters lost in the first actual official fight they took part in.
A brilliant bid for the Chairman seat.

There's a reason why he's been chasing after the seat for so long without winning it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

Completely agree with Fang, Waka is really loving dull. He relies on pure power waaay to much. This fight would have been better if it was before Raian vs Ohma, in which Ohma used technique to defeat Raian vs just pure brute force.

On the last page was it a translation error when it was said "What made the ultimate difference was TACTICS"?

...He won the fight by tricking his opponent and pulling out a clever move that he hadn't ever shown off before and his opponent didn't expect, which is basically the definition of tactics.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Joseance posted:

Ohma realising he wants to win to prove he's the strongest is the biggest reason setsuna won't be in the final

Yeah Setsuna's "rivalry" with him is a poisoned suicide pact and nothing more, so Ohma's come-to-jesus moment in the Raian fight should push him to not really give a poo poo about that anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If you asked me at the start of the tournament if Muteba would be one of my favorite fighters, I would have said no, because I would have bet on him being a midboss mook for someone to take out on their way through the bracket.

But he's great, because he somehow manages to combine being a ruthless mercenary who will gouge your eyes out and smash your testicles to paste to win a match with not being a TOTAL shithead about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I can't believe we might have gotten a boring generic Russian dude instead of African Mercenary Daredevil.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

on the plus side, the next chapter is titled "Breakup"

Hopefully the breakup is referring to Rei's skull and spinal column as Saw Paing climbs to his feet yet again and tries another Hammer of Burma.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You know, as absolutely great as Muteba is, I think Tomari helps sell the chapter just as much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Unless Gensai decides to explode Setsuna's heart with his magic fingers that can carve stone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

In retrospect, isn't Haruo's whole gimmick sorta similar to Wakatsuki's? I feel like he also had some "innately abnormally high strength" thing going on. If anything, they made his strength seem even more exaggerated in some ways than Wakatsuki's (like the crazy backflipping as a morbidly obese dude stuff).

Yeah Haruo's whole thing was that he was a tribesman who was an impossible physical prodigy and he turned into a giant goon because his CEO decided the best way to control him was to tempt him with decadent modern society.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Haruo had an entire modern childhood mainlined into his brain in the space of like a year or two. That's a lot of cartoons and video games for one man to take.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Muteba has an advantage insofar as Wakatsuki got absolutely mangled by his last match while Muteba is relatively unscathed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

He's not unscathed; his hearing is messed up, such that he's forced to resort to these robo-eyes (which is almost certainly more of a downside than an upside).

He says that Jun deliberately didn't permanently damage his hearing and he's already capable of holding a normal conversation with Tomari, so his hearing is pretty much fine. The robo-eyes are being treated as a trump card; he was going to bust them out in respect to Jun for sticking through everything before Jun collapsed, and he's currently "testing" them to make sure they work properly for the next match.

Like when he's about to turn them on he talks about being able to fight like a warrior again. That's not "oh no this is my last resort backup" talk, that's "i've been hiding my power level" talk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

https://mangadex.org/chapter/466470/1

New chapter. Holy poo poo the art on crazy Setsuna's faces.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Gensai also says "you've managed to make me abandon my left arm": https://mangadex.org/chapter/467203/19

Which leans towards at least unusable for now

He's literally holding Kiryu back with his left arm in the page before that, with a grip strong enough to leave visible indents on Kiryu's muscles. Hell, the panel before that. He doesn't seem actually hurt at all, unlike the previous person we saw get hosed up by Rakshasa's Palm.

I read that line as "you forced me to deliberately take damage in order to kill you", like a sort of "it's regrettable that my invincible technique got pushed this far", rather than "it's regrettable that my arm is busted and unusable now".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly hope that Setsuna is actually dead. It would be a really great twist for the crazy prodigy psychopath rival with the tragic murderboner-for-the-protagonist backstory to just get unceremoniously killed by someone completely unrelated to his murderboner due to one of his many crimes catching up to him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

this fight is already good, i'm really glad that fang is not a boring character

It's absolutely shocking how easy it would be to be a boring milquetoast super strong fightman guy since he's been built up, but thankfully Kengan rules.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Exercu posted:

I feel like even losing fighters tend to get a bit of spotlight by the manga, so I don't think it'll be just that. My bet is that he'll be able to beat Agito as long as Agito sticks to boxing only until Agito consciously abandons the boxing style - at which point Agito has won the match, but essentially lost on pride? At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I could see Agito and Gaolang punching each other until Gaolang is winning, so Agito abandons boxing and begins beating Gaolang, who is then forced to abandon pure boxing and mix in Muay Thai. Both of them end up losing their "pride" in this scenario.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

The only pride Gaolang has is pride in his country. :colbert:

Gaolang definitely has some "pride of a warrior" poo poo going on, given his reaction to Saw Paing giving up after losing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

You'd be mad at Saw too if he stopped smiling. Dude's a broken man now and Gaolang can't stand to see his friend down in the dumps.

Yeah but his reaction wasn't "holy poo poo Saw what's the problem, are you alright buddy", it was "jesus christ you loving disgust me, dude, get ahold of yourself".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Is that the first time we've seen Gaolang smile?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I figured that given how much they were playing up Gaolang being The King of All Strikers, he would probably end up losing to a grapple.

It's actually pretty clever to get a guy into an extended punch-up for a whole battle and then suddenly spring a grab on him out of nowhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, "striking" would be a better term. Doesn't change anything about the fact that Fang was still using only extremely limited part of his skill-set, trying to beat Gaolang at his own game and won instantly when he decided not to do that. :shrug:

He won specifically because he fought Gaolang in a brutal punch-up for an entire match that involved Gaolang taking multiple brutal headshots, then snuck in a single grapple completely out of nowhere to wrongfoot Gaolang for just a moment, which in turn allowed him to finish it with a strike.

The point is that the only reason why it worked is because of the switch up, not because "oh he could have owned Gaolang at any time if he just used his grapples". Gaolang is a top tier fighter, it's not like he's never fought a dude who can grapple before in his life. Fang is deadly because his adaptation and improvisation makes it incredibly difficult to actually get a read on what he's going to do.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Fang doesn't really come off as a jerk to me, just hyper-focused on doing what he does. He chatted with Okubo just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kengan Ashura Japan has a gigantic fenced off Mad Max sector and every single major dispute in the economy is resolved by gladiators fighting death battles, hell yeah it is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

huh, did i miss it or are mizakuchi and his boss not there?

Given all past appearances, Rei was probably getting some head-in-lap time somewhere and then the Guardians showed up and he violently murdered them all and went back to head-in-lap time because he doesn't need to hold back outside of Kengan matches.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hopefully enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ohma has been at enough of a remove from everyone character-wise that I could see him going out fighting but winning in the process.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I can't tell if it's a factor of him getting his memories back or just them trying to get their names into the speech bubble.

It's an intentional speech quirk that Ohma's always had. He's always referred to Kazzy as Yamashitakazuo(one word) and he used to refer to Kaede as Akiyamakaede(one word) before she told him not to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I just remembered it having a space between their first and last names beforehand. My bad.

He only does it to people he's on friendly terms with, which boils down to Kazzy and Kaede and now Cosmo, so he doesn't do it a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Last chapter
Imai: "All going in accordance with my plan!"

This chapter
Narrator: "It did not, in fact, go in accordance with his plan."

The problem with relying on being able to predict all of your opponent's moves is when they do something you didn't predict.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

i don't really like ohma that much compared to the other fighters. the others reach an epiphany, analyze their opponent, enact a plan, try a new move they came up with, etc. ohma just pulls out another move niko taught him.

Ohma is only capable of doing this stuff now because he reached an epiphany, he just had the good sense to do it before somebody was killing him in real time.

Ohma digging deep and focusing on his martial arts training to win matches instead of going berserker super mode at the drop of a hat is just as much of a development as Cosmo beating Akoya because he decided to start fighting dirty because he didn't want to die.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm thinking there'll be at least one moment where Wakatsuki tries to trick Muteba with sound and gets dunked on when Muteba reveals he can see now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As much as I enjoyed joking about Rei getting violently murdered by Saw Paing, I think Rei just needs to make friends with someone who isn't Rino and he'll be fine. I'd actually like to see him be a super awkward dork around some other people, because the times when he's a super awkward dork around Rino's subordinates are actually pretty funny.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm laughing my rear end off at these two basically reenacting this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkBuKQEkio

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Normally you'd think "this guy took one solid hit and then tapped out" would be a lovely fight, but it's really good because it makes 100% sense here and is really good.

Whatever Muteba was being paid was probably insufficient to compensate for spending a year in traction from getting his entire skeleton smashed to paste by a superhuman monster to win a fight that isn't even the last fight he'd need to win today, especially since he can now make even more money as a mercenary.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

breaking himuro's arm was kaneda's sole accomplishment in life. him fighting gaolang was more one-sided than rihito vs. gensai.

If Kaneda was able to beat Himuro, imagine what Himuro vs Gaolang would have been like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Not only is Muteba a deadly combatant, a snappy dresser, and a brilliant tactician, he's also adept at customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm not sure what Setsuna's aiming at, here. If his goal was just to fight Ohma again, it would make more sense for him to try to kill and replace Wakatsuki, and if his goal was a rematch with Kuroki it doesn't make sense why he stopped where he did.