Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Missed translation opportunity by not having him say "They used to call me Kazzy the Tosser!"

but maybe that's having a little too mucn fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was better than every other Street Fighter comic that's been produced in the past 25 years of Street Fighter comics

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That Zetton/Ultraman poo poo is really good and a pop culture reference that's probably lost on a lot of people

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

RareAcumen posted:

Also, what's Zetton? My mind immediately goes to Disgaea but I doubt that that's it.

The last boss from the original Ultraman TV series

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Theme music to today's chapter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVTfVmubY0

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Main characters being kinda middle of the road compared to their wild and crazy foes (who often go on to become supporting cast) is kind of de rigueur in fiction that revolves around climactic clashes between colorful weirdos. Just look at Batman.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My immediate reaction to this chapter was to wonder if that was the Kure Clan there at the end of John Wick 2

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can tell that 2/3 of the people involved in the creation of this comic are heavy into real world martial arts

I mean it's not capital R realistic but there's a lot of texture that most battle manga are lacking

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dr Christmas posted:

"What? It turns out Seki was Jun the whole time?! There's no way we possibly could have known!!!"

"IT'S ME, OHMA!"
"Aw sonovabitch!"
"IT WAS ME, OHMA! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, the whole "losing the tournament doesn't mean you're out of the story because of shady background poo poo" plus "characters too injured to fight in future rounds and this can be substituted (potentially with fighters who have lost already) give this comic a leg up on your typical battle manga elimination tourney

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I imagine a situation like this is like being a murderous kid in a candy store for Muteba, assuming his employer wants him to join the fray instead of just waiting things out. It'd be like if there were burglars breaking into Wayne Manor hoping to steal all the valuables.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something I like about this comic is that it is such concentrated martial arts battle manga bullshit that it almost feels kind of academic in how it demonstrates stuff.

That being said, I have to say, I definitely prefer more out of left field abilities like Doc's body mods and Muteba's Daredevil senses to increasingly granular methods for counters. Realism was kind of thrown out from the moment we had a berserker mode for Ohma, so the more conservative special abilities feel kind of like being lazy in the name of some faulty sense of realism. Either that, or it's all just setup for one big "BUT WHAT IF THE ULTIMATE ABILITY IS BEING TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE?" bullshit, which would also be boring. That was entertaining to me approximately once, in a Deadpool comic from 1997

I'm not saying I necessarily want full bore fighting game insanity but like... okay maybe I want that, but for a slightly less crazy fighting game? Like maybe Soul Edge levels, there were no beams in that and only one 100% supernatural entity

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really hope the anime is good

That CG teaser they showed a while back didn't exactly inspire confidence

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
In my head I expect Agito to win this because he seems to have some sort of beef with either Niko or the Niko style, but I kind of want Gensai to win since I never expected him to be such a beast

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Yeah but Gensai's reaction was more "Hmm, Niko's student" and Agito's was like "FUCKIN NIKO" and therefore way more interesting

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There are other fights in other battle manga that probably have more narrative stakes and story impact than this, but I think this might be my favorite pure tale of two guys trying to punch each other harder

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wait, the next volume isn't until after the series resumes in January? Were there not enough chapters to cover all of part 1 in collected form?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Makes me wonder what Gensai is going to do now. He doesn't seem to be in regular circulation with the Kengan matches, so I don't see him signing up under a different CEO.

And with Lemmy not becoming chairman, whoever Nogi picks to be the actual champion is gonna have a lot to prove.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Brief summary if it hasn't been said elsewhere yet:

-2 years later
-Yamashita Trading is still just three people
-New kid 1 is a karate man, has some kind of beef with Ohma, is a good fighter but not Kengan Matches good. He seems to be highly motivated and reminds Kazuo of Ohma ("I HATE THE IDEA OF THERE BEING SOMEONE STRONGER THAN ME") so he gets a job as a trainee fighter
-New kid 2 clowns on Nikaido and gets to talk to Metsudo, who recognizes that he's apparently related to Tokita Niko's teacher (and looks exactly like Ohma); Gramps decides to introduce him to Kazzy, which will probably happen next chapter. He's also very soft spoken and mellow, which is weird, considering his character associations.
-Cosmo finally has a decent haircut and has worked on improving his striking game

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 16, 2019

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Jose posted:

sharing bath water is gross

how exactly does this work in households, anyway? I can only tolerate the notion in Japanese bathhouses because the idea is you wash off before you get in the water, and you just soak

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if Kaenda is gonna be heavily involved in Koga's training. I imagine his brainiac approach to fighting would be a good match for someone who's got them Kengan eyes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
what is this boner that Netflix has for CG anime

about the only times I didn't wince at the result were Expelled from Paradise, Wooser, that one weird Disney series of shorts, and that weird Tatsunoko crossover show

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think whether or not this guy is a goober is going to basically boil down to how much of this scheme is his own VS whether or not he has some evil vizier type, maybe Worm-affiliated, pulling his strings

If he's an actual threat to the Kengan Association of his own volition, he's probably not just a braindead trust fund scumbag

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

RatHat posted:

Not sure why they made up someone rather than just using the actual guy(Honda Tadakatsu). He didn't die from a trap though.

The same reason it's Nentendo and not Nintendo and Super Japan Pro Wrestling instead of New Japan Pro Wrestling

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Looks like at least some of Koga's problems are maybe not psychological as much as they are strategic. It makes sense, given that he's from a regular rear end sports/street punk background that he wouldn't quite have a grasp on the secret sauce of nigh-superhuman level combat tactics.

It'll also make the moment when he figures out how to use his latent Kengan powers an even more dramatic a power up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I found a leaked picture that depict Koga's future special move

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6sNkBRWkAAyUwc.jpg

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I remember seeing the CG parts in Baki and thinking "I can understand why they did this, but I still kind of wish they hadn't."

I'm pretty much convinced the Kengan anime won't be GOOD, so the question is whether or not it will be good ENOUGH. The casting has been good, so that's one thing that might get me to at least listen to the episodes in the background.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Chapter 28 is out and I have to say, if we get many more chapters like this it's going to really suck the air out of the already fairly obvious reveal that Koga and Kazuo are distant relatives

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wait, the teacher is Karla's mom? Now I'm really disappointed that she didn't cross over more while Ohma was alive

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Are we supposed to be familiar with this particular ex-Fang? The only ones I remember are the guy who has the muzzle to hide his Glasgow smile, baldy, and ponytail

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Magissima posted:

Am I the only one who finds the centipede/impersonation/Niko plot to be confusing and boring so far? It feels like we keep getting more questions piled on but not many reasons to care.

I get the feeling it's supposed to be confusing, considering how much of it is about identity theft and maybe even bodyswapping or whatever

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

RareAcumen posted:

I hope Kengan Omega fixes one of the things missing from the last series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyICTg3pvuk

Verticality.

did you not read the sekibayashi vs sumo punk fight

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the kengan series(es) are so good i would buy them in physical media form if they were licensed, although i'd probably be disappointed that the legal TL isn't as good as the Hokuto no Gun versions

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Oh no, Koga is gonna get his rear end kicked (again).

But that's okay, because from the direction the story is going, the Worm is going to kidnap him, turn hiim into a cyborg, only for him to escape before the brainwashing and fight them as a hero. Kamen Kengan, Narushima Koga, fights the evil organization Worm to protect humanity's freedom!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing about a character in a battle manga who gets his rear end kicked is, the more often it happens during the character's ascent, the more sweet that moment when he finally crests over the peak into winning fights is

Remember, even Goku had to fight in three World Martial Arts Tournaments before he won one

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Brought To You By posted:

We are quickly becoming a story authored by Hideo Kojima.

Kuroki, standing defiant as a giant technorganic monster lashes out at him with misshapen, morphing, carbon-fiber limbs, only to have every blow blocked before an orthodox karate knife hand pierces it's chest and ruptures it's nano-repair unit

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have every faith that Kengan Omega will be able to do what Dragonball failed to, i.e. successfully and consistently passing the protagonist baton to the second gen character

but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wanna see Ohma get a rematch against at least one top tier Kengan Asura opponent. Specifically either Agito or Kuroki.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This makes me wonder if the story is just gonna go in a whole different direction, considering that if we follow the Kengan Krew throughout the entire tournament it'll be extra rehash city with Ohma present while Ryuki and Koga are out.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Jose posted:

Rereading the end of ka and I think the fang Vs gensai fight is probably the best manga martial arts fight made

The whole "predict what the guys going to do before he does it and vice versa and it goes on and on" poo poo is a pretty ancient trope as far as martial arts fiction goes, but Kengan is one of the few times where I don't just roll my eyes and imagine making a jacking off motion when it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This guy is gonna lose because Kengan rules dictate that you do not min max if you want to get anywhere