Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I love that pretty much all the animosity between the non edgy fighters disappears after the fights and they're just hanging out together.

I love Adam's look of confusion as he tries to keep the edgy persona going post-fight but grappler dude is just too friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How chill most of the fighters are when not fighting is still my favorite thing in this series. Imai and Dudley watching the match together :3:.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Didn't work for Haruo though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm just rooting for the cool bearded mountain man looking dude who gets to face Rihito round 1.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rangpur posted:

New chapter's up.

TBH seems like they're setting up Muteba to lose, and that makes me sad. I'm indifferent to Mr. Genocider himself, but Tomari is great whenever she shows up so I want her fighter to last as long as possible. (So until the next round, basically, since he'd be fighting Julius.) Also, he's still more interesting than a generically bloodthirsty psychopath. Either way, one of them is probably a dead man.

Winner of this fight goes against the winner of the next. Julius fights that tiger dude who's won like 300 fights.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Muteba Bazinga is definitely up there with Sekibayashi Jun on my cool characters list.

Next fight is Jun isn't it?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I want to see Jun win because I think Jun vs Mutemba would be more interesting than sumo vs Mutemba.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Even so I don't think there were many surprises so far, if only because the left side had like, 5 guys so far who were either really heavy favorites or built up well before the tournament. (Ohma, Raian, Cosmo, Takeshi, Julius)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

Setsuna and Mikazuchi are on the right side.

That and I left out Sekibayashi because he's already gotten a fight vs Ohma.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Glad Jun won. Gizenga though is going to be the worst possible matchup for his style of defense.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I agree with most of those picks except that I really like Gensai's grizzled mountain man looking design and have him as my dark horse pick. I think he beats Setsuna and maybe even Rei.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

bando yohei and fishing grandpa are definitely going to win

Yohei maybe but I feel pang vs rei is meant to happen.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My prediction for Dudley is that his friendship with Cosmo continues to get more adorable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

Re: Gensai

Reminder that Rihito is up against Gensai cause nobody wanted to fight him.

He gets one jab to the chest with those finger guns and someone's gonna be pretty hosed up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

El Burbo posted:

It even won it before mob psycho did, but mob psycho got animated first

Kind of glad it went that way since Mob season 1 was so good. Also kengan is such a fun series but Mob is pretty well in the running for best series I've read.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Rihito is probably going to give mockey dude competition for being the biggest jobber. Also think Gao wins because he looks like he'd be a better matchup vs Fang.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Finally, we can start seeing why this man, who has had no Kengan matches before now, is getting so much hype alongside the likes of the Kure assassin, Wakatsuki, Muteba, and the Fang himself.

Maybe Rihito pulls off the upset. :rip: Rihito

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol--012-Ch-097---Rakshasa?id=404844

Turns out that Kuroki Gensai had actually "gone easy" on Rihito.

Did he even move from where he was initially standing?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

Don't read this if you're not reading raws. Seriously

You should put these in a link instead of a mouseover spoiler this is pretty big.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Where's the best place to read the raws btw?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression Naoya is actually one of the stronger people in this tournament and probably could beat a number of the competitors (though super doubtfully the fang).

Fang's side of the bracket also faces him against Gaolong next and then probably Sen. It's pretty well set up to where he's not just fighting some jobber at any point.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What chapter does that fight begin on again?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I want to see Cosmo take one of these guys on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't think Kaneda would have much chance vs Okubo, at least if they fought in the first round, just because Okubo has such a wide skillset that Kaneda would probably take too long to figure him out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
When you're around a man as powerful as Kazzy you have no choice but to show respect.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ohma oversleeps and misses his fight with Raian. To avoid disqualification, Kazzy reps his own company in the match, and ultimately wins the tournament.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

Maan, whatever power Kazzy has is super cool. I'm guessing it's his innate ability to judge people, which includes their fighting abilities. His abilities are putting him in more of a mental wreck than usual, so many insane psychopathic fighters.

Guessing just like, really good instincts/intuition. He's kinda like Kaneda in that he has like, the mental traits that would have succeeded as a fighter but not the physical body for it. Probably could have used those traits to succeed in something else but lacking too much in self-confidence.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jose posted:

its not genetic modification its just smashing their heads with metal poles for 1300 years so that they're born with skulls that are resistant to metal poles instead of having to do it as part of training

or was it not metal poles i forget how saw piang did his training

Pretty sure it was just a big ole hammer.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I was re-reading some of the earlier chapters, and I forgot how ridiculously strong Adam Dudley apparently is

Yeah I wonder how his physical strength matches up against the other physical powerhouse type fighters.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Final is going to be Ohma vs Rihito when Rihito subs in after everyone in the right bracket shatters their fingers on Saw Paing's skull.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
worst fight

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Magissima posted:

What a bullshit move

Also the kind of defensive move that doesn't fit into the rest of Rei's speedy assassin style at all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Assuming this fight is decided, I don't expect Rei makes it any further than this. If Setsuna wins next match then he probably wins right side bracket to face ohma in finals. If Gensai wins he's already been mentioned as an assassin whose style is better suited than Rei's for winning a straight up fight.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

julius isn't a nice guy, but he's so amazingly eccentric that i still like him despite how he destroyed the ballet dude.

We might see him be a bit more chill now that he's lost. We know he's polite enough to ask restaurants permission to bring in his protein shakes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

He won specifically because he fought Gaolang in a brutal punch-up for an entire match that involved Gaolang taking multiple brutal headshots, then snuck in a single grapple completely out of nowhere to wrongfoot Gaolang for just a moment, which in turn allowed him to finish it with a strike.

The point is that the only reason why it worked is because of the switch up, not because "oh he could have owned Gaolang at any time if he just used his grapples". Gaolang is a top tier fighter, it's not like he's never fought a dude who can grapple before in his life. Fang is deadly because his adaptation and improvisation makes it incredibly difficult to actually get a read on what he's going to do.

Yeah, I'm guessing if Fang had even just done the switch up earlier in the battle it might not have worked. It's similar to the mindset behind Cosmo's zone. At the end of a tough fight when the opponent is really trying to go for the kill is when they're most vulnerable to that sort of thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I imagine a situation like this is like being a murderous kid in a candy store for Muteba, assuming his employer wants him to join the fray instead of just waiting things out. It'd be like if there were burglars breaking into Wayne Manor hoping to steal all the valuables.

Yeah, the previous chapter talked about armed vs unarmed fighters, but Muteba is the guy who decided the best way to go after a group of armed mercenaries is to just climb up on the ship mostly naked.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Julius was only working for Toyo in order to maximize his muscle growth potential. Now betrayed he has no animosity towards the others.

It also implies that these guys continue to hang out together after this tournament ends. Wonder who hires Julius after the tournament?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's nothing stopping him now from just ambushing ohma later and demanding a fight. Knowing setsuna though this could just be simply to deal with an abrupt murderboner.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kuroki's got this, Rei's burning through too much flashback here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bushmeister posted:

It's funny that it's his third appearance and we still know relatively little about Gensai and his motivations. We know he's dedicated to karate to the point of perfection, an assassin that knows many of the movers & shakers of the previous generation if not the current one, but like no reason as to why he chose to come to the fights now or why his CEO chose him. I would imagine that anyone on Gensai's level would have been approached to fight in Kengan matches previously.

He truly is the most powerful wielder of the flashback fu.

He's just a very good teacher whose current students are the entire tournament roster.