Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Some brutal panels in this one, though I was kind of expecting the ending stinger since Ohma said "neither of them was fighting seriously," earlier. Seems unlikely it will mean an upset, but I wouldn't have expected Motobe to lose to a Sumo wrestler either. Also another example of rundown salaryman's curiously on-point fighter analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A lot of fighting series have this sort of line to walk, where you kinda know who's going to win already. However, if the series is good enough it can make the reader question their initial assesment, at least for a little while. I think the most successful series of this type are the ones that can manage that trick consistently. Kengan Ashura is good at it, though not every fight needs to play out that way, i.e., guy whose name I forget fighting the Kure clan next round. He's plain hosed.

(Sort of a shame Akoya's looking like a jerk, but I guess that's not saying much in a tournament where something like 1-in-4 fighters are just straight up "kills dudes for money" assassins.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

:rip: Intelligent Barbarian. At least his legacy as a bestselling author of bodybuilding manuals lives on.

TBH the fights I'm most interested in seeing play out are the ones where the fighters have a similar body-type. Not necessarily the fighters I'm most interested in, mind. It's just.... Slim, fast dude vs. slow, bulky dude is a dichotomy you see so often in this type of series, I'd honestly appreciate the change of pace. Helps a lot that the artist has a knack for incredibly visceral brawls.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That was an especially weird direction for the series to take, considering it started off as a shoujo romance. (You're probably thinking of MAR, but to be fair I didn't remember it was spelled that way either until I looked it up. :v: )

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Pretty much everyone in the tournament is really meaty except for two people and other than Haruo there aren't even any comically huge guys left. Even Julius is just like one head taller than the rest of them.
Everyone is ripped, as one might expect for a Baki-like, but compare Ohma to his first opponent the Sadako expy. (Also Murder Music fighter vs. Julius, but I suspect that one's gonna finish up pretty quick.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, almost certainly. Seeing someone outmatched trying to stage a comeback tends to be when these fights are at their most interesting, though. And who knows, sometimes it even works! Probably not this particular time, however.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Welp.

lol at Setsuna's reaction though

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Our boy Toma (remember him?) is fighting him in the second round, and since it is exceptionally unlikely he'll lose, Raian won't leave uninjured. He might be the strongest member of the Kure clan at peak condition but if he's been through the wringer beforehand, Karla can just rip out his heart or something. Which she'll pretty keen to do if Raian tries to kill the future father of her children as well.

Macksy posted:

also fang of mustard is a dead ringer for toffee from star vs the forces of evil.

It's uncanny
gently caress I can't unsee this now

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What is her deal, anyway? She's been keeping an eye on Ohma, Yamashita et. al on Nogi's behalf, but that's always been really obvious and the storytelling keeps hinting there's something more to it. Best I've got is Nogi wants to make sure he can trust them with his dreams when his chosen fighter inevitably jobs to the Fang.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You're thinking of the assistant to Koyo University's president. Who might also be a spy, but even spies need hobbies man.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Someday I may get tired of the "Yamashita gets overestimated" running gag, but today is not that day. He's probably going to lose most of it betting on something stupid during the break between days of the tournament though. Also, shout-out to the series' breakout character, Ohma's New Shorts.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Money really changes people, huh?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Careful, Inaba. You know what they say: pride goeth before a follicle.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My favorite quick joke of this fight was the panel of Yohei (convicted murderer) and Muteba (tattooed merc) pondering what a shocking technique it is to use your own hair as a weapon. They're both totally bald. :v:

It seems beyond obvious to mention it now, but establishing most of the fighters are just there to do a job turned out to be a smart move. Reading about this bag of mixed nutcases bouncing off each other between fights is one of my favorite parts of the series.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The fight itself may very well be over. Note that there are 3 chapters left in volume 8, titled 'Tiger,' 'Monster,' and 'Rage,' respectively. Coincidentally, the first couple of those titles also match the nicknames of the favorite in this bout, and the next. We'll likely get a chapter of denouement before Sawada jobs to The Most Muscular Man in History but Goro is almost certainly down for the count--incapable of continuing if not outright KO'd/dead.

If there are any matches that end in a single blow, Watatsuki, Julius and The Fang would be the ones to bet on. I'd expect the next chapter to cover Goro's discovery of the Kengan matches, how their first clash went from Watatsuki's perspective, and whatever error made it's way into his pre-fight bio. (FWIW, I resisted the temptation to look at the raws thus far so don't bother mentioning whether I have it right.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kingdom is at like 535+ chapters, with no signs of slowing down, so I guess it depends on when you stopped? I would say he's improved somewhat, but Shin's personal shortcomings as a tactician fall to the wayside as the scope of the battles expands. The current arc is pure clashes of wits between Ousen and Riboku. Shin's unit is there as a viewpoint but it isn't the focus.

edit: upon review, I also see that this is not, in fact, the miscellaneous shonen thread so instead let's discuss whether the full lineup of Kengan fighters could beat Shin's unit in a fight. I say 'yes.'

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 13, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

But Haruo gimped himself by drowning in decadent Japanese hedonism. Julius lives a sensible & efficient German lifestyle, starting each day with a sliced grapefruit, two pieces of whole wheat toast and half a BMW.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You know on a second read, I'm curious what Hayami's goons would even need to ask Miss Murder Music CEO. If her fighter loses (he will), then it wouldn't make a difference who she supports for chairman. That's the whole point of putting his fighters in a bunch of different slots in the first place.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

what vile dog would bring a gun to an honorable fisticuffs fight

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

New chapter's up.

TBH seems like they're setting up Muteba to lose, and that makes me sad. I'm indifferent to Mr. Genocider himself, but Tomari is great whenever she shows up so I want her fighter to last as long as possible. (So until the next round, basically, since he'd be fighting Julius.) Also, he's still more interesting than a generically bloodthirsty psychopath. Either way, one of them is probably a dead man.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Crying Man's problem isn't that he's a killer. Lots of dudes in this tournament are killers. His problem is that he only cares about killing.

Like, say you've got giant fisherman grandpa & Sekibayashi talking about their favorite beer or something. Then oh look here comes goddamned Meguro again and the first words out of his mouth are "Boy fellahs, I sure do love killing! I killed a guy just now and it was great! Let's talk about killing..." Not so much as a hi, how you doin'? Just kill-kill-kill all the loving time. Spoils the mood, see?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Still rooting for Muteba, but I admit Judo-tossing someone to death is a pretty impressive serial killer quirk.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Man y'all weren't kidding about this one being brutal.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

New chapter dropped, with the conclusion of the Meguro/Muteba fight. It remains super gross!

Bonus intrigue: we also meet Sakura, who Watatsuki referred to earlier in conversation with Akiyama. Appears to be her sister. So that's neat.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

i feel like the mysterious second fighter working for the hundred pretty much has to be the judge dredd guy
Well it's not Ohma, and Cosmo seems exceptionally unlikely since he's fighting on behalf of his cousin. Raian, maybe? It's against their code but he clearly gives no fucks.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nikaido (the Kung-Fu guy) is facing Kiryu in the first round, and we know what motivates Kiryu already (Ohma's smokin' hot bod) so that rules him out. Two-face said his group had six slots though and we only know 3 of them. If I had to guess, I'd say Kaneda (fighting for Kazuo's drinking buddy who owns the bookstore chain) is likely, and Gaolang is at least a possibility. Admittedly I'm basing this on the fact we haven't seen his CEO yet.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And now we know why those two CEOs are built like brick poo poo-houses, too! A good chapter.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

from 'who the hell is this sumo guy, he's got no presence' to 'hype as gently caress' in the space of 3-4 chapters

poo poo like that is why I enjoy this goofy-rear end punchmans comic

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I like Kazzy but tbh I don't think he's a good counter to Chun-Li

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well you notice he didn't have his arms around Seki's chest anymore either. Looks like maybe he kicked him from one side of the head while palm striking from the other. Setting aside whether that's physically possible to do in a remotely effective way, that would probably gently caress you up pretty good. Also,

CEO: 'Sekibayashi has something you lack, Cosmo. You must learn what it is during this match.'

*next round Cosmo shows up wearing dreadlocks*

CEO: 'Goddammit Cosmo.'

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, he's not aligned with the Chairman or CEO Two-face. At this point I'm assuming Nogi hired him to help accomplish whatever his actual goal is in arranging the Kengan Tournament. I don't think he'd mind being the big cheese, but the way they frame it makes him look like he wants more than just money & power.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sometimes a fighting manga where the main conflict is explicitly not tournament-related is still entirely about a tournament, for no particular reason. actually i think that's just anzai nobuyuki, who is a hack.
Most battle shonen ends up in a series of 1-on-1 fights sooner or later, whether it's framed as a tournament or not. Hell, Anzai's done it both well AND poorly depending on which series you're reading. (MAR is the bad one, for the record.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To be fair to the psycho arms-merchant & assassin duo, I don't think they would go out of their way to kill an opponent if it wasn't necessary to win. In Meguro's case it was probably necessary, and if that isn't strictly true, well... both the actual readers and their analogues in the stands are willing to overlook it because he was bugfuck crazy. (In particular, he's too crazy to score those entertaining character beats outside the ring.) Sekibayashi is tenacious but not a mad dog--a Muteba win might cripple him for life but I don't think he'd kill him unless he was paid to do it. By the same token, Tomari probably wouldn't tell him to kill someone who couldn't fight back unless she had a specific grudge.

(She'd absolutely tell him to kill Rino's fighter, tho'. Not that I think he'll make it far enough to try.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That was a good fuckin' chapter, I tell ya what.

Have we seen the panel from the OP with Jerry Tyson yelling JESUS CHRIST yet? There's been some crazy poo poo already so I'm keen to find out what gets that kind of reaction out of him.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

I like how SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is a battle cry in Kengan Ashua. It's one of those small things that just sounds cool.

shaaa

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

FWIW this panel from the OP:

Is almost certainly the beginning of the fight between the Fang and Muji TV's fighter at the end of round one. So a cool fight is likely, albeit with a foregone conclusion. Also implies considerably greater presence than that fighter's had so far, so I'm curious to see what his deal is. It's notable that their CEO had other options based on the choosing order, but still put his fighter into a disadvantageous position.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I appreciate that Adam Dudley and Guile seem to have heard of one another. Also that every Kengan character's reaction to seeing a Hadoken is 'What the gently caress was that?'

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RatHat posted:

Maybe it's some martial arts memory manipulation bullshit.
More likely trauma-related memory loss. Once you cast doubt on Ohma's recollection of events, it changes the context of everything we've seen him recall. Kiryu, of all people, is now a more reliable source. What does he recall? Well, we know at some undefined point in the past, Ohma (probably using 'Advance') beat the everloving poo poo out of him. We also know that Kiryu killed his own master. What we haven't seen from him is a memory of his master killing Ohma's master (i.e., how Ohma's unreliable memory recalls events).

There's a pretty strong implication at this point that Ohma killed Niko himself, albeit with enough wiggle room in the plotting that it may yet be another fake-out. For one thing, even within Ohma's limited understanding of his teacher's capabilities, 'The tecnique formerly known as Advance' was insufficient to defeat him.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If they ever make an anime of it, Asta's VA from Black Clover is going to be a top pick to voice Saw Paing.

I'm bummed we didn't get into giant fishing grandpa's fight yet, and more bummed it's supposedly a fixed match. Series has surprised me before though, so I'm inclined to let it ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It won a vote the magazine ran a couple years back, but those aren't legally binding so :v:

(there was another fairly popular series running in the same magazine that did get one though, so I wouldn't rule it out even though the odds of a theoretical anime making it to this point in the series are... remote)