Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HenryEx posted:

Of all the non-Japanese nationalities, i have a feeling that a German has maybe the best (read: a very faint one) chance to beat a Japanese fighter. At least in the first fight. I dunno, they seem fond of Germans in fiction for some reason.

OTOH, Reinhold has what might be the most boring design yet, so i'm not exactly rooting for him.

IIRC Meiji Japan explicitly based its modernized military and governmental structure on Prussia's (and I think brought on a lot of Prussian advisors). Japanese admiration of Germany basically gets its roots from that, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

When are we gonna see Machio in a Kengan match?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Hate-Senpai posted:

I like how SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is a battle cry in Kengan Ashua. It's one of those small things that just sounds cool.

This is very common in Chinese because it's literally just shouting "KILL" at the top of your lungs. It's a fairly common as a battle cry in Japanese too, but I don't know the reason there.

Sure sounds cool tho

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Also holy poo poo stop putting everything in quotes constantly. Why do they translate it like this?

It's a Japanese delinquent stereotype I think

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You aren't doing it 「right」 until you've mastered the 「art」 of fancy quotation 『marks』

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Sen looking an awful lot like Jetstream Sam on that last page

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

This forest is the same one the Danberu girls went hiking in

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Haraguchi sounds like "stomach mouth", good for the CEO of a food company

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I'm imagining her voiced by Aoi Yuuki doing the Shuten voice

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

"He's huge. Somewhere around two meters, I'd say."

man i always get hosed when the actual height of characters in manga is brought up, because i always subconciously add like 5-6 inches to them.

here's a mountain of a man, who needs to duck under under door frames. he's around 6' 4-6"

4 inches or so is roughly the difference in average heights between Japan and the US, so...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jose posted:

Sister complexes are such a weird anime/manga thing so I want mokichi to lose

Uh, the US has the exact same thing, just usually on the part of the father rather than an older brother

And actually no-poo poo-threats-with-a-shotgun real instead of overexaggerated trope

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, he's a fighter, not a killer, he needs someone like the Kure clan.

Given the plainclothes people attacking him right now, it would be perfect if Kure-sensei from dumbbells showed up to rescue Koga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I'm guessing in Mandarin it would be "mei wen ti"

Interesting that Cantonese is closer to the Japanese pronunciation of the same characters (mondai)