Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mirage posted:

I realize this tournament will probably take another 60 weeks just to get through the first round, but I really want to see more of Yamashita being a doofy everyman. "Did I get the right size?"

I love Yamashita so much. I feel like the "has absolutely perfect instincts for this but doesn't realize it" angle should feel cliché, but somehow it never does. Maybe it's just that he's otherwise such an atypical character, or his complete spinelessness, but I'm never not rooting for him. I want him to wind up as head of the Kengan Association and still be as panicked by everything as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Seriously, this manga wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the Yamashita/Ohma dynamic. He was originally supposed to be gone after the first chapter, and now he's arguably the protagonist! It's great.

Yeah, 100% this. Not to say that Ohma's a bad character, but the story as told from his perspective is extremely simple, but that's fine because the manga isn't expecting you to be hugely invested in him as a person. Yamashita flat-out could not be participating in the story without Ohma (or a similar character), but he's the one you're hoping succeeds, because he is such an incredible underdog.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

For the people who've read the raws: is Nezu Mazami (Mickey Mouse guy) as amazing as I hope he is?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Thoughts:
Yay, Mokichi's alive!
Yay, Kazuo's still poor!
Wow, that is one hell of a bone that Setsuna's rocking there!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Chapter 66: Rage

That's some quality villainy, not going to lie. At least Yoshiko's mostly okay?

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 1, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Holy poo poo, Julius

Also Kazuo continues to be the best guy who's earning the undying respect of all the other CEOs

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I had a dream last night that Charlie Brown was in the Kengan matches. He referenced Ancient Rome a lot when he talked, for some reason.

In "things that actually make sense", I think that Muteba wins here because it's a lot more narratively interesting to keep him around (and his CEO) than having another one of Toyo Electric's ringers stay in.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Eopia posted:

At this point I want both these jerks to lose.

Edit- I'm also expecting some kind of twist like the Genocider was already blind or something as well otherwise no matter who wins they're both pretty crippled for future fights.

He does have blank white eyes already. Being Amoral African Daredevil does seem possible.

Also eeeeuuurgh this fight is brutal.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Regardless of brain injury, unless his semicircular canals aren't in his ears, he's completely hosed from a fighting standpoint (I mean, disregarding Anime Logic, but still). His balance will have gone all to poo poo--he'd have a hard time walking, much less fighting.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Oh god, if they go up against it's other it's going to be hell (in a cell).

Given that Muteba goes for the eyes, grabs you by the groin, etc. etc. and otherwise plays completely dirty, he's probably one of the worst opponents for Sekibayashi "I will stand there and take everything you throw at me because it's my duty to" Jun.

You say that as if Jun hasn't gone up against heels before.

Next up is Wrestler (Pro). Vs. Wrestler (Sumo), and then its... fishing grandpa versus hot blooded guy, I think?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Looking back on it, Masaki lost that fight super hard. He managed a throw on Muteba early on, choked him for a little bit, and gouged out his already-useless eyes, and bit his arm. Everything else was Muteba dunking on him repeatedly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This looks like it's going to be a goodass fight (they are all goodass fights).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

It's obviously going to be Jun because he has unlocked the secret technique of bribing the announcer so he's second to get introduced and receive exposition.

Of course a wrestler would figure it it. It all makes sense!

From a different meta standpoint, I'm still going with Jun. The author talked about wanting to do a pro wrestler who's actually strong--I don't see him saying that and then make Jun only ever lose (while looking strong, but still a loss).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I mean, it's good and all, but dammit I don't want to wait another week for this next match!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Fantastic chapter, great fight, but my favorite part is probably Kazuo marking out. It's just perfect.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I've kind of assumed that the entire plan for the series is this tournament arc. Where would you even go from here?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

With that, we're halfway through the first round!

Let's take a quick look at what we've got lined up in the second half:

1. Saw Paing vs. Fishing Grandpa: Saw Paing comes from somewhere in southeast asia, is super fired up basically all the time and, seems to know Gaolang Wongsawat. We don't really know anything about how he actually fights though. His opponent, Karo, likes beer and fishing, is huge, and is one of the qualifiers from the SS Annihilation, in which he showed himself to be real tough, and open palm slapped a dude so hard he went flying and immediately fell unconscious. I kind of feel like this is a question of "Can Saw Paing actually get in there", but who knows what his gimmick will be.

2. Nezu Masami vs. Mikazuchi Rei: THE TIME FOR DREAMS IS OVER. That is pretty much the extent of what we know about Nezu Masami, who works for Not-Disney Land and dresses up as Not-Mickey Mouse. He's going up against Rei, who's the head of one of the assassin families, basically threw away his honor so he could get it on with the CEO of the Golden Pleasure group, and completely dismantled Togo "Sharkteeth" Tomari's previous fighter in a bonus chapter. Not enough info to make a guess on what will happen in this fight.

3. Rihito vs Kuroki Gensai: FINGER BATTLE! In case you have recently been powerbombed by Jun and lost all your memory as a result, Rihito's gimmick is his fingers are strong enough to rip apart coins, or rend flesh with a casual swipe. Gensai we haven't seen very much of, but in the sequence showing off all the fighters on the ship, he was using his fingers to jab holes through the inch-thick steel side of the ship. You can do it Rihito, I believe in you! 100k on Gensai... no, make it 200k.

4. Nikaido Ren vs. Kiryu Setsuna: Ren is one of the 'assassins' sent out by Toyo Electric to replace other companies' fighters. He defeated the old-rear end man fighting for Byakuya news, and seems to be a Chinese ninja or something; he previously threw a surreptitious dart at Kazuo, which Kazuo expertly dodged like the terrifying martial arts master that he is. His opponent, Setsuna, is Ohma's rival, is ridiculously gay for Ohma, and popped a terrifyingly large boner at the idea of fighting Ohma. Oh, and he's a really good fighter, too, he took down Muscle Professor easily, and killed his own master (who had killed Ohma's master and was basically Akuma). Sorry Ren, but I'm pretty sure you can't defeat the power of ~*~true love~*~

5. Chiba Takayuki vs. Hatsumi Sen: Chances are, you don't remember who Takayuki is, and I don't blame you, because he's barely shown up--he was the guy that took Suekichi's place in the business of beating people at Shogi for money back on the SS Kengan--his words when doing so were "Sure, I've become a Shogi player before", so I assume his deal is that he's just Taskmaster. Sen is a dangerously chill dude, and is the guy that Chairman Nogi selected as his personal representative over Ohma--he's described as one of the people with a very real shot at beating the Fang of Metsudo, so I'm going to assume he's extremely strong until proven otherwise.

6. Hanafusa Hajime vs. Bando Yohei: CREEPY DOCTOR FIGHT. Hajime, though incredibly creepy and offputting, has proven to be a very good doctor, saving Mokichi Robinson's life. As for how he fights, well, your guess is as good as mine, we haven't had a hint as far as I can remember. Bando isn't technically a doctor, because he spent his med school days killing Yakuza barehanded for fun before turning himself in--in the prison fight, he took down weird cult dude with a single blow that we didn't get to see.

7. Gaolang Wongsawat vs. Kaneda Suekichi: Gaolang, the THAI GOD OF WAR, is a world champion boxer (as revealed via Danberu) and always ranks high in character popularity polls for Kengan Asura because it has a significant Thai fanbase. I don't think we really know much about him beyond that? Suekichi wasn't the original pick for his company; he just tagged along with the CEO and then beat the previous fighter. His thing seems to be that with enough info, he can analyze his opponent's movements and then bring them down basically perfectly, assuming he can last that long. It's going to be a test if Gaolang can just punch his head off before his blows stop connecting.

8. Dead Meat vs. THE FANG OF METSUDO: Look, we all know how this is going to go. Okubo's a dead man walking--he hangs out with Rihito, has as much luck with the ladies as Rihito does, and otherwise has basically no defining features. His CEO chose this match for him specifically so I can only assume that they hate his guts. Kanoh Agito is the FANG OF METSUDO, is the strongest guy in the tournament, and is going to turn Okubo into paste. We haven't seen much of him or his personality, or any of how he fights, so this is up in the air.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Two new chapters of Danberu!

Chapter 29 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Danberu-nan-kiro-moteru/Ch-029?id=385174
In which the gang enters an amateur talent competition.

Chapter 30 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Danberu-nan-kiro-moteru/Ch-030?id=385177
Can you guess which one is the hidden Kure clan member??

I love that this thing this exists in the Kengan Ashura world. It's just so wonderfully dumb.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 28, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tarezax posted:

When are we gonna see Machio in a Kengan match?

Machio knows better than to enter. He'd point them to Hibiki, the true hidden talent at their gym.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really hope it's Julius.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

He's great, but he is fuuuuuuuucked. Rihito's got knives for fingers, Gensai's got jackhammers.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Saw Paing is Highly Excitable

I'm guessing next week is learning more about fishing dude, and then the chapter after that is the actual match starting.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

So that's where Kamogawa learned his training techniques.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I mean, he can jab holes in steel plates. Whatever that does to a human body isn't going to be pretty. That's "punch you and pull out your internal organs" territory.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Huh, that flex-unflex thing is actually pretty relaxing. Thanks, Murobuchi Gozo.

Speaking of which, I went back and read his fight, and god drat I can't wait for Wakatsuki vs. Reinholdt.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The crowd's loud roar for bloodshed... it fills you with determination.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Okubo's putting up a much better showing than I would've expected. Honestly, there's been very little outright jobbing in the series--Mockey is the only case I'd really call egregious, and the author notes on that one were pretty much "I did want to give this guy a chance to show off, but I realized partway through that there wasn't really another way that fight could have gone, sorry"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It's a bit premature of me (sorry Okubo, but you backstoried first), but here's a preview of our Round 2 Matches!

Cosmo vs. Judge Dredd

It's been a while since we've seen these guys fight! Cosmo was in the very first bout, taking down our sweet, innocent boy Adam Dudley with a vicious choke hold, after using his special gimmick technique to get in on his larger opponent. Akoya beat down Haruo in the second match, which... wasn't really about Akoya that much. He had a weird cooperation gimmick going with his CEO, which didn't work so he just did things his way. Itherwise the only thing th at really memorable was a good defense against strikes. Which... seems less than useful against Cosmo. Tentatively calling this for Cosmo.

Ohma vs. Raian

Hey, it's Ohma! In a fight that I can't say I really care about that much! There's a couple ways this could go, to be honest--it could be a dumb Limiter Removal slugfest, or Ohma could decide not to do the thing that kills him and try and eke out a victory on technique. Either way I'm calling it for Ohma because main character and Raian is an rear end in a top hat that can go eat a bucket of sand, but there's not much more analysis I have than that.

WAKATSUKI TAKESHI vs. JULIUS REINHOLD

This fight is going to be incredible. Forget technique, these guys both have the gimmick of "I have ludicrous levels of physical strength". This is going to be a brutal slugfest and I am READY. Leaning Wakatsuki because he clearly has more to show, but I could see Julius taking it

Muteba Gizenga vs. The Man, The Myth, the Legend, Sekibayashi Jun!

Not gonna lie, I'm worried for Jun. I can respect his commitment to "I will never block", but I have to question it's effectiveness against the guy who has mastered every dirty trick in the book and is ridiculously strong on top of that. It's very Face vs Heel, but... one way or another, this isn't going to be great for Jun.

Yoroizuka Saw Paing vs Mizakuchi Rei

Really not sure about this one, because we haven't seen a *ton* out of Mikazuchi. I'm sure that the power of repeated cranial trauma will keep Saw from getting chumped, but I don't really know how he'll get hits in,except maybe just going for trades Coinflip!

Kuroki "Devil Lance" Gensai vs Kiryu "Colossal Erection" Setsuna

I think this will be a good match. They both have great defense, both have a technique that makes their hits absolutely brutal. I think Kiryu's Ohmaboner is going to give him that extra bit of motivation to take this one

Hatsumi Sen vs. Bando "probably dead by this point" Yohei

See above. Even if Bando is still alive, he's going to be severely weakened, and even if he werent, Sen is no slouch. Easy victory for Sen.

Gaolang Wongsawat vs. Kanoh Agito

Man, I wish there was uncertainty here, but... it's the Fang. The only peoplenO see him losong to are Sen, Setsuna, or Ohma. I think this will be the fight where we really see him cut loose (as well as Okubo is doing, I think we're only going to see a glimpse of Fang's true power). Hopefully Gaolang punches him in the face a bunch on the way out.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 10, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Honestly, I don't think there'll be much in the way of fighter swapping. Maybe swapping out Bando, because he's going to die, but otherwise you're probably better off sticking with your proven winner than grabbing a loser, and you'd need to offer serious bribes to snag an upgrade.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Alternatively: Real American Hero Adam Dudley pulls out a gun (Americans are legally required to concealed carry at all times) and shoots Akoya in the face until he is dead.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cosmo, you let go of the hold too soon!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Now I really need that spin-off series where it's just the women's division of KA duking it out.

I, too, would love to watch Hibiki one-punching the poo poo out of everyone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jose posted:

I know wakatsuki is practically a main character like Cosmo but im hoping he loses so we can see ohmas technique Vs Julius muscles

I'm pretty sure that Wakatsuki is muscular on par with Julius. I mean, not in bulk, but it was established that his weight is (presumably) waaaaaaay heavier than you'd expect by looking at him, and he was able to lift THE Morobuchi Gozo with one arm that was in a lock. It's going to be the hyper-muscle thing like that one kid in Germany.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That series better end with Hibiki winding up as a Kengan participant.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I mean, he's presumably getting paid extremely well, two days ago he got to kill a man with his bare hands in front of a cheering crowd, and his time since then has been spent eating fine food, sleeping, and having sex with dozens of beautiful women.

Muteba's life is pretty loving great right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

New Chapter

Making that substitution was a brilliant move, Gandai

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This is Toyo Electric out of the tournament entirely, right? Wonder what else he has planned.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Look at that masterful feint by Gensai. He's made it look like he's having the first flashback, but it's actually a flashback for Setsuna's teacher. This not only gets Setsuna to let his guard down, thinking flashbacks are now safe, it obliges him to also flashback at length about his training, weakening him further.

Also I like how the teacher was initially portrayed as basically Akuma, but we now see he was a pretty chill guy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure Shion would be confronting Sen with that information hard if it were the case (also I don't think the ages line up).

In non-speculation news, drat that's a good entrance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

People said the same thing about Kuroki Gensai and look at how that one turned out.

Could've swore someone posted the tournament bracket with all the numbers for who picked in what order but this is the best I can do.

I wonder what the optimal pick position is. It can't be going first, because while you do avoid the Fang guaranteed, you don't get to have any control over your matchups at all.