Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blazed through the 49 chapters in a single sitting and wow this series is fun.

Wrestler dude is probably my favorite so far. I love his personality and his fighting philosophy a ton, and the concept of a pro wrestler as an entertainer really works in the dude's favor for a series like this and a stage like the Kengan tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jedah posted:

Yeah, he's awesome.

Also, the artist pokes fun at their all-male fighting cast:

The dude's system of "rights" and "responsibility" is really neat and I hope he gets to shine more in the tournament. I like that despite his loss, he's still a really big threat, especially since he gets right back up after the match is over and doesn't really seem to be worse for the wear.

I'm also super interested in the convict dude.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jedah posted:

This guy is a perfect fit for the manga. :allears:

His character design reminds me of some badass wrestlers from the manga Garouden, mixed with WWE wrestlers.

The writer's note about visiting an actual wrestling match and seeing actual thumb tacks being used in matches terrified me, like holy poo poo, what the hell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait, a 2015 manga?

Doesn't it have way too many chapters to have started in 2015?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress yeah Haru(o).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm super excited for Mickey Mouse and Death Row Prisoner.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hassad is a neat character who just keeps surprising you.

First he's a promising fighter, then he suddenly gets chumped to round the number to a nice 32 and introduce the bodyguards as a threat, and then now he's a goofy guy who loves eating beef and wants to go have fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sad that Haru has lost and that the justice-obsessed murder cop turned out to be a jerk, but I am also super interested in how things are gonna proceed.

And gently caress yeah, it's Kure time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rangpur posted:

A lot of fighting series have this sort of line to walk, where you kinda know who's going to win already. However, if the series is good enough it can make the reader question their initial assesment, at least for a little while. I think the most successful series of this type are the ones that can manage that trick consistently. Kengan Ashura is good at it, though not every fight needs to play out that way, i.e., guy whose name I forget fighting the Kure clan next round. He's plain hosed.

(Sort of a shame Akoya's looking like a jerk, but I guess that's not saying much in a tournament where something like 1-in-4 fighters are just straight up "kills dudes for money" assassins.)

I mean, I don't mind killers, I just don't care for boring or uninteresting killers.

Look at Rain! Dude's always hyped and he has a coolass name. Taboo Child. What makes him so taboo? It's interesting, it's exciting.

Stoic doesn't necessarily mean boring, obviously, it can make a character appear mysterious and engage your curiosity (like the Wild Tiger and the Fang of Metsudo), but I can't deny that I'm more inclined towards loud and brash and jovial dudes like Seki than I am with Murder Cop.

I also don't really care for Rei for a similar reason, though at least Rei is funny when his stoic facade breaks.

Speaking of names, Taboo Child and Intelligent Barbarian (the professor who got stomped by Kiryu) are probably my favorite titles among the fighters so far. It's a shame the dude went out so quickly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've also been rereading chapters and it's neat that these two are able to get along despite their utterly brutal fight. I loving love friendships forged through battle.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

This is going to be the longest tournament arc of manga history.

Wasn't MARS pretty much a manga that was entirely one big tournament.

Was pretty fun when I read it way back.

Didn't read the sequel, though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gah!

EDIT: This is a really neat image.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Kure time.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-007-Ch-052?id=347068

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, he was a student at a prestigious medical university before he went all murder happy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, is this by the ketchup ninja guy?

edit: The art looks almost the same, so I imagine so.

From the OP's own mouth.

quote:

Kengan Ashura is a 2015 manga from Sandrovich Yabako (who also does Danberu nan kiro moteru?) and artist Daromeon (from Ketchup Ninja) and has been called the Baki of the 21th Millenium! It runs on the Ura Sunday Magazine, has won a poll to receive an anime last year and has a hundred loving raw chapters before the scanlators catch up!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

you reading japanese or korean or just ignoring the text?

Kengan is virtually unknown in Korea, as far as I can find, and believe me, I've tried really hard to find it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Interesting that the bloodline they were talking about was apparently not the martial artist bloodline, given by the implications at the end of the chapter.

I'm excited.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but Kengan appears to be the biggest and the best and the strongest, what with national leaders coming to watch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

It doesn't allow weapons though.

Well, look what happened to the one that did allow weapons.

Everyone died.

But Setsuna.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo that was brutal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't pull out my cute Inaba's hair.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Danberu updated, and it's got a cameo from the best Kengan fighter!!!!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Danberu-nan-kiro-moteru/Ch-020?id=366396

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am beyond overjoyed that the Intelligent Barbarian is still alive.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Meguro himself doesn't seem very interesting (his past was pretty interesting but the dude himself in the present is just a mindless serial killer so far) but those panels of him with the lighting are really neat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

If Muteba wins as does Sekibayashi, who are you rooting for. THERE IS ONLY ONE RIGHT ANSWER

Both of them

Oh god, if they go up against it's other it's going to be hell (in a cell).

Given that Muteba goes for the eyes, grabs you by the groin, etc. etc. and otherwise plays completely dirty, he's probably one of the worst opponents for Sekibayashi "I will stand there and take everything you throw at me because it's my duty to" Jun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SUMO VERSUS WRESTLING gently caress YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

where the red fern gropes posted:

i must have missed it but who's being compared?

The short secretary girl and the new fighter for the drunk bookstore guy.

They have the same facial features.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

i get the feeling this is going to be the best fight in the series so far

Same!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-010-Ch-076?id=379737

MOTHERFUCK YES SEKIBAYASHI YOU GODDAMN BEAUTIFUL BEAST YOU ARE LIVING UP TO YOUR NAME AS THE HELL'S ANGEL CAUSE YOU JUST CAME CRASHING DOWN FROM THE HEAVENS ABOVE AND SLAMMED RIGHT INTO MY HEART.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also a reference to this chapter.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Danberu updated, and it's got a cameo from the best Kengan fighter!!!!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Danberu-nan-kiro-moteru/Ch-020?id=366396

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A neat thing, the news in the flashback is Byakuya News, which is one of the corporations in the Kengan tournament.

His fighter was beaten and replaced by the Chinese martial artist dude.

Also this is loving amazing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DAMMIT YOU TRICKED ME INTO THINKING A NEW CHAPTER WAS UP.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe the secret to Primal Sumo is kicking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The dreadlocks fever strikes the Kengan tournament!

:rip: any fight who happens to be bald.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't the chairman state that it would be the last match?

Plus, given that Kanoh is supposed to be the strongest fighter, and Naoya is supposed to be the #3 fighter or something, I'd think they'd save it for last.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

Who the gently caress is Naoya again?

He first appeared playing shogi or whatever against, uh, Kanade? He kept on demanding rematches cause he kept losing.

He's also like Rihito and the two of them went around hitting on every woman they could find.

He's the fighter for the #3 company.

He has like, a buzz cut.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wait, it was the 4th, not the 3rd.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Uncle Khasim posted:

This fight is so good. I can't stop re-reading it. I'm even re-reading the fight with him vs Ohma just to get my fix of the magnificence that is Hell's Angel Sekibayashi Jun.

Yeah it's pretty much my favorite fight in the tournament so far.

It also feels like the most evenly matched fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"I Believe In Pro Wrestling!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sarcophallus posted:

Until your post I had completely forgotten Ouma beat this monster. Holy poo poo Ouma.

What's even more amazing is that Jun pretty much got right back up seconds after the match ended, not looking worse for the wear.

It's nice because it establishes Ouma as the victor of their battle but informs you that Jun is still a loving beast.