Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

I've always really liked how Nikaido treats the people who came from Hayami's faction as comrades even though it was a very loose alliance that quickly went south. It's not a very in your face character trait, but you see it in stuff like him interacting with Julius in this chapter, that comedic side story with all the jobbers who infiltrated the ship meeting up in the diner (played up for comedy, but you can tell he was trying to take care of them), and Nikaido being the only one who visited Meguro's grave(?) after the annihilation tournament ended. He's a weirdo, but it's easy to see why the Heavenly Wolves are so fiercely loyal to him.

Yeah, Nikaido's a bro.

The 4koma stuff revealed that he was pretty shy as a kid, too.

It's nice how you get stuff fleshed out even among characters who got knocked out of the tournament early on. It's sort of what I feel has been (mostly) lacking from Purgatory's fighters so far, though the hospital scene with Carlos/Falcon helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad I got to see my boy Raian murder the gently caress outta someone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Things of note for me.

1. There's a Korean in Purgatory, who could have tagged in if anyone had chosen to step out.

2. Meguro was the eldest son, which means that he must've had siblings. Maybe Masaki 2 is related to him after all!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carlos: Had the poo poo beaten out of him handily, only won via PURGATORY rules
Falcon: Used poison, sorta, but still the closest thing to an actual victory
Naidan: Let himself get killed by Ryuki (and that was his goal all along), so he won via PURGATORY rules
Alan: Murdered, and ergo won via PURGATORY rules (also the Kure fully expected this to happen*)

*Raian did offer Alan a chance to forfeit (and therefore net the Kengan Association a win) and live, but living is for people who know

Meanwhile, Kengan's wins have been:

Julius: Won fair and square, no techniques* used, only strength
Misasa: Won fair and square in a special arena
Agito: Won fair and square

*Acute muscle control does not count as a technique under Julius's rulebook

Mirror matches were...
Gaolong vs Carlos: Boxing vs Boxing but somewhere along the line it stopped being a mirror match
Julius vs Todo: Strength vs Strength
Misasa vs Yumigahama: Fang vs Fang, more of a status thing than a fighting style thing
Agito vs Lu: Formless vs Formless
Raian vs Alan: Kure vs (Alt-)Wu, both descended from the same clan
Masaki vs Jurota: Judo vs Judo

Only 2 that weren't mirror were Ryuki vs Naidan (who were still connected via the Worm) and Rihito vs Falcon.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanos posted:

I am too strong and bored. I will go off and train in the mountains for 15 years in hopes that this psychotic murderer will eventually hunt me down so I can have a Good Judo Match, because that's what will make my life worth living.

Yeah he's kind of a nut.

He wasn't waiting to be hunted, he was training so he could go after Masak because he wanted a Good Judo Match. Still a nut, though!

Plan: Masaki (pre-murder) is a promising judoka who will make it to the top, so I'll wait for him there.

Then the murders happened.

Plan (Revised): Masaki (post-murder) is an insane dude who can't stop killing with judo, and there's no chance of him ever becoming an official judoka (given everything he's done), so I'll give up everything except judo to go underground and find him myself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

wokow6 posted:

I think the solution is simple... Well, simpler. Hayami is a clone of Meguro, made right after Katsumasa (had to look up his first name) took in Meguro, who was the one who did the murders. I think the twist is going to be that while Hayami has the same issues as Meguro did, he was able to develop much better control on it, and tries to be a good boy fighter in spite of it. Jurota is just convinced that this is the same dude, cause he can see some of what Meguro had in him.

Crack Theory: Hayami isn't a clone, but rather a different personality implanted into the corpse/barely alive body of Meguro to make him more controllable, which is why he wears earphones (Muteba ruptured his eardrums, if I recall) and has a fake/mechanical eye (Muteba stabbed one out). It's also why Jurota is so sure that Hayami is Meguro: it's because it's Meguro's actual uncloned body.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artelier posted:

He is going to reveal that he level upped his judo so much that he doesn't need arms to throw

I mean Jurota hesitated when he thought Masaki was going to throw him just by grabbing onto his pants with his toes, so the fact that he thinks Masaki can do it (though he may have been overestimating Masaki's skills) means that there's a good chance that Jurota himself can pull it off.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god I can't access old Kengan chapters anymore cause MangaDex is down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think he wanted the mental state / drive / determination to kill while at the same time keeping Masaki's intellect intact so he could fight more strategically. At some point Meguro went from being able to present himself as a normal member of society on the outside as a kid to unhinged murdering murder with nothing but murder on his mind, so presumably Hayami wanted the former.

Sure, Masaki took advantage of Jurota's unwillingness to kill him / use non-throwing techniques, but he also managed to level up in this fight, and he's shown the desire to get even stronger.

What Jurota (and probs Hayami) saw in Masaki was his potential.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

I feel like that was sort of a nothing flashback but maybe it'll pay off later. Come on Akoya, biting folks is a loser flag in this manga!

It was brought up on Reddit but Jean pretty much did the whole Resurrection thing that the Wu practice, and the dude did it by himself, without any clan techniques. He worshiped Nicholas to the point where after killing Nicholas, he brainwashed himself into believing he was Nicholas.

That's pretty impressive!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no they don't? nicholas le banner always wins, so the blond guy who just fought obviously wasn't him.

Uh, the buff blonde guy who punched out Akoya and the thing blonde guy is Nicholas Banner.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah even the refs themselves acknowledge that they don't have much use in an actual match.

That said they have symbolic significance in that they mark the official beginning (and ending) of matches.

Jun vs Kiozan and Nicholas vs Akoya aside.

Guess there was also Gozo vs Wakatsuki though that's less sucker punching and more Gozo going "Don't try order superhumans around."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Could Terashi be the Tiger's Vessel????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ain't it the Other Niko who supposedly died at Ouma's Niko's hands (according to Setsuna who is not very reliable).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What happens if Nicholas kills himself, who becomes Nicholas in that scenario?

Also Kengan is rapidly losing me with this Fei stuff, I really do not care for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

verbal enema posted:

so pissed waka didnt land that blast core

still my boy tho

Wakatsuki's one of my favorites (though top favorite will always be my man Jun) cause he's generally a chill and relaxed dude but when he starts fighting the man is brimming with fury. Like there's so much fire in the man, which is especially clear in his fight against Ohma where he's roaring and rushing Ohma and utterly dominating the match, and the man has one of the most murderous glares in Kengan as if he wants nothing more than to break every bone in your body.

Wakatsuki rocks.

I don't think Fei is bad as a character, but I just really think this super mode is stupid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

^^^ It'll be free for a week in a day. You get 5 free keys if you make an account, that's how I read it.

Their business model is also pretty bad. No sub, you pay for keys which unlock chapters(which I assume you then own). New chapters are free for a week though(after 24 hours of the initial release)

Is this bad, it just sounds like a standard (non-fast-pass) Korean webtoon payment model, except Korean webtoons don't give you the newest chapters for free.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://mangadex.org/chapter/e7157117-9971-4fc8-a772-892c50e45b79

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also when Kazzy meets Koga he immediately knows what martial arts Koga uses and has an insanely accurate read on Koga's level of strength.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

My favorite part is that series that have lots of chapters can have two different free chapters available. One that's the most recent chapter simultaneously released in japan and another some 50 chapters back as the translations are catching up with itself.

I remember when Kimetsu was like that in the Shounen Jump app cause they only updated the Kimetsu vault with weekly chapters (in the final arc or something) and chapters from volumes officially released in English, so for some time you only had like, 1 ~ 40 and then partway through the last arc available.

I think.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's gonna turn out that the strongest Wu is the 4th backup.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the thing about the Edward fight that sucks is more that nobody could land a proper hit on Edward and it took Erio using himself and his family as bait to allow Xing to land a single hit, and then this chapter is just Raian and Edward trading blows until Raian wins. There's no real proper back and forth for most of the fight so Raian suddenly being able to play on Edward's field feels awkward.

Edward was built up as a Beard-tier fighter, but then curbstomped 4 Kures + the head of the main Wu clan without breaking a sweat, which I doubt even the Beard could do, and then died after being tested for a single chapter. I feel like it would have been more natural if they'd actually managed to get in some hits on Edward or show him getting worn down in some manner, but none of that happened.

That said I'm a big Raian stan so I'll give this chapter a 10/10.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Omega has ever hit the highs of Asura but Asura was just really good in my opinion, and Omega is serviceable.

And even Asura had fights that people hated. I (think I) remember Saw Paing vs Sasuke and Cosmos vs Ohma being particularly controversial.

The answer here is to stan Sekibayashi Jun, every one of his fights was certified gold.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kazzy has 2 sons, you know.

The elder son was the one who warned Kazzy that the Worm might be after him, since he clued in onto the Worm after talking with Bando (as foreshadowed at the end of Asura).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artelier posted:

Yo Saw Paing vs Sasuke had a bad result but I will always be hype for the HAMMER OF BURMA

Cosmo vs Ohma I personally enjoyed a lot. Yeah it didn't really make sense but there was a nice rhythm of back and forth, a small amount of flashbacks, and my favourite defeat panel with the "main character of another story" memory spread

I appreciated it as a 'soft-style' fight that's pretty rare in Kengan, where it was less about being a punchman.

It was also probably necessary for the two of them because they were majorly hosed up from previous fights compared to the other members of the cast.

I should reread Kengan now that MangaDex is back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right I forgot that Asura is legally available.

Guess I can just buy the chapters.

What's the pricing on Comikey?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait Comikey only has up to chapter 50, what the gently caress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, 100 keys for like KRW 42,000, that's like 50% ~ 100% pricier than the standard Korean webtoon.

Still not a bad deal, I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this idiot thought that he had created the ultimate warrior based on ???. so naturally hayami's bodyguard, who is not the ultimate warrior, could easily subdue him. it's the perfect plan!

I don't think Hayami considered Masaki the Ultimate Warrior at that very moment, but that he'd grow into the Ultimate Warrior. After all, Masaki got his rear end handed to him by Purgatory's Judo guy and only won because of his inhuman pain tolerance and the no-killing rule resulting in the Judo guy having to hold back later on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah I am happy to have more Koga shenanigans.

It's funny to go from the tournament where we see only the top tier fighters and then we go to Koga who's just happy he managed to win against a dude who never won a Kengan match.

I'm also interested in the Koga and Masaki friendship, especially considering what Masaki's hiding about Hayami's death and his potential insanity.

And gently caress yeah, excited about Ryuki and Setsuna shenanigans too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of good designs died this chapter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Worm feels so toothless now.

I remember that right after Koga's qualification fight, the head of the qualification division got murdered by his coworker, who was actually one of Xia's mooks. And he got mudered really brutally, in a, OH gently caress kinda way, that sort of showed you how deep undercover the Worm were and what they were capable of.

Said dude nearly kills Koga.

Then Ohma and Raian come and own all of Xia's dudes, and Xia gets curbstomped and loses all his charisma, devolving into a whiny cockroach.

And the Worm just kept on not really impressing, like Lu Tien, who's just Agito with way less depth and character.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Speaking of double Jobbing...

Poor Wolf Soldier...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo we finally get some Korean representation*!

(*I know he appeared in a side chapter but that doesn't count.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hrm.

https://comikey.com/read/kengan-omega-manga/k2VEdk/chapter-150/

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Wave posted:

Lol another developed fighter dead in a flash. Like.... why. I get that Liu Tian wasnt going to be a major character but why delete him?

More like DEAD BY A FLASH(LIGHT)!!!!!!!!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, also, there was this side chapter that was really nice and just makes me sad that 1/2 of them are dead now. Poor Liu...

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/t2SFv5s/1/1/

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm curious why the leader of the Worm says he's dismantling the (current) Worm for the Connector's sake.

Just what is their objective??? Are they gonna make a new Worm after this????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://comikey.com/read/kengan-omega-manga/DM6Vne/chapter-153/

Please give my boy Ryo a win, I want him to get some Ws badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember why Himuro hates the Worm.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Tbf, "hating Worm" is like one of the main character traits for Himuro, so it's nice he is finally fighting one. Even if he will lose.

Also Himuro's main trait is being the only one of the 4 Idiots to be popular with ladies.