Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet Haru could gently caress some poo poo up if he was non-fat and improved his technique.

I hope Rihito doesn't lose his first match, even though it's pretty likely. Also can you imagine how hosed that guy from the first fight of the series would have been against these guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Haha, you might be right! Nice find. I thought he was based off the Lemonhead candy mascot, but I can totally see him being a grown up Nester, too.

Lemonhead guy looks far more similar (though I'm not sure why the character would be based off of him). His similarity to Nester isn't as significant (and there'd be no reason to make his head to side if he was aiming to make him look similar). Not to mention that, more importantly, it seems Nester was just from the American Nintendo Power magazine and it would be strange if the author was familiar with a character from the American Nintendo Power that most Americans aren't even familiar with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kinda impressed that Rihito wasn't seriously injured and Raian apparently required doing that much collateral damage to their surroundings to defeat him.

I'm rooting for Rihito since he's probably the most over his head guy in this entire tournament.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I like the priest who don't wanna let anyone gently caress his girl... I hope he kicks this guys rear end. But the assassin guys gotta win.

While I think the assassin will probably win, I'm actually not 100% sure. I'd give the priest maybe a 10-20% chance. There's clearly something special going on with him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chefscientist posted:

The artist lived in America for many years. But Lemonhead is probably it.

Wait, is this by the ketchup ninja guy?

edit: The art looks almost the same, so I imagine so.

vvv Ah sorry, missed that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The final fight will be between Raian and Rihito. I won't hear otherwise.

Regarding Rihito, I feel like he'd benefit from learning some sort of grappling martial art, since given his superhuman grip strength it would be virtually impossible to break out of his grip.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

This guy doesn't seem to have much to him other than "is really crazy and obnoxious"

Nah, he'll have some other ridiculous thing going on involving his ~bloodline~.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I hope Rihito gets far in the tourney surprising everyone.

Same here, Rihito owns. I feel like if he were more creative there are a lot of ways he could use his superhuman fingers/grip strength.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

Yeah, hopefully he learned from his loss to Ohma and developed more techniques than "give 'em a pinch".

He's not really pinching people so much as scraping their skin/flesh off because his fingers are so strong they can be kept firmly in the same position no matter how much force he applies to them.

I feel like he would be well suited to some sort of grappling martial art, like Robinson in this chapter. There's no way Rihito would lose to anyone with the "hand-wrestling" thing that happened this chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I hope we get a flashback that shows off just what the gently caress actually happened in that bathroom. Both seemed completely unharmed despite it all.

Raian whipped out his dick and pissed blood all over Rihito.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Presumably all the best Western fighters are fighting for Goldman Sachs in the US version of the kengan matches.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Don't worry. I'm sure Kure guy will say something about his sister and give Sherlock the power to fight for another chapter.

Yeah...we haven't really seen Mokichi's "come back from a point when it seems like he's losing" reveal yet, so I think he still has a chance of winning (though I still think Raian is much more likely to win).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet he's going to literally be the descendant of King Arthur or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Mokichi will at least do some sort of comeback in the next chapter, though that doesn't necessarily mean he'll win (it might be the sort of thing where he just manages to force Raian to take him seriously while using his bloodlust).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Relin posted:

no westerner can hope to overwhelm the power of the yamato bloodline...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that is because all the strongest westerners are fighting for Exxon, Goldman Sachs, etc in the international Kengan matches.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mokichi... :(

I liked him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i'm curious about what Fang of Metsudo's gimmick will be. He actually doesn't have much of a "final boss" look to him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I looked ahead through the next 4 or 5 fights in the raws, and there are a couple that actually weren't that predictable (to me at least). One I just wasn't sure from the beginning and the other I thought I knew who would win and was wrong. The others were fairly predictable but still badass.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, I just came across the first genuinely surprising match result. I'm curious to read the translated text for some of these later fights.

edit: Haha, Dudley rooting for Cosmo in his second match. Also he says "Yo! Fuckin' ZASHIKI WARASHI"

edit2: Okay, make that 2 unexpected results, with the second one being *really* unexpected.

edit3: Hahahaha

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 18, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Same. Jesus this gets brutal. I mean, the brutality is mostly extended to characters who are made out to be unrepentant psycho murderers but still.

Yeah, the fight I'm 95% sure you have in mind constantly made me cringe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think she's an obvious spy but everyone around her is so oblivious that they don't notice.

Her fujoshi sentiments are genuine and don't you dare suggest otherwise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'd be curious to see how some of the fighters who (likely) won't ever be paired against one another would fare in a fight. Dudley's gimmick seems to mostly be "can punch really really hard", which is also similar to the gimmicks of folks like Haru and that guy Cosmo is friends with (who both seem to have "is really strong" as their main trait). I wonder how he would do against another strength focused character like that. My guess is that Cosmo's friend is significantly stronger (since he seems to be one of the top fighters, period), but I'm not so sure about everyone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how Inaba would fair against a lot of the other fighters. I imagine that, at the very least, the strength based ones would be a big problem for him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like it's a bit of a problem that Ohma had to resort to his trump card in a fight like this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

i want to see kazuo accidentally get put into one of the fights

He will awaken his secret power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Just a simple, fast slugfest between probably two of the physically strongest fighters in the tournament. I really like this fight, you really get a sense of the incredible amount of superhuman force being delivered with each blow.

Pfft, I think the decathlon guy is out of his league. Wakatsuki wasn't bothered much at all by his blows (I'm assuming this is the fight that just got translated?).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Oliva is this super cultured/refined guy who also has an morbidly obese wife/girlfriend.

I look forward to some of the future Kengan Ashura fights being translated. There are two I have in mind that had unexpected results, with one being REALLY unexpected.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

not sure why thats spoilered when it doesn't actually tell us antyhing tbh

Knowing that Muteba has a move that hurts someone in a cringe-inducing way is basically the same as saying "at the very least, this character isn't going to get steam-rolled like Wakatsuki's opponent was (for example)."

This fight is a pretty cool one and is one of the handful of fights that have shown up in the raws that wasn't really predictable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I wasn't sure about him at first, but Muteba owns.

In retrospect, I think this is the first fight where I wasn't sure what the results would be, though it was more due to neither fighter being an obvious winner than it defying expectations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sumo guy is kind of forgettable too, just in terms of his character design and how he's been presented thus far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zerilan posted:

I want to see Jun win because I think Jun vs Mutemba would be more interesting than sumo vs Mutemba.

You know, I can't see Jun vs. Mutenba going well for Jun. Mutenba's whole thing is attacking inherently vulnerable body parts, like the eyes/ears/etc, that can't be protected simply by virtue of being super swole.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Even so I don't think there were many surprises so far, if only because the left side had like, 5 guys so far who were either really heavy favorites or built up well before the tournament. (Ohma, Raian, Cosmo, Takeshi, Julius)

I can assure you there will be some surprising results later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gozo is the creepiest looking character in this comic, followed by the ex-medical student guy. Gozo's smile scares me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What are your thoughts on the right brackets? They're the more unpredictable ones, mostly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What did Kazuo have to gain from the Nogi agreement? Doesn't he still have to pay back the price of admission to the tournament?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

everyone in baki looks like a pile of tumors

They have cheek abs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You guys haven't gotten to Rihito's fight yet, right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe it's sorta like when American comics bold things?

edit: I mean, assuming the quotes were in the original Japanese and directly carried over.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rihito needs to beat Gensai and then also beat Setsuna, causing Setsuna to fall in murder-love with him instead of Ohma.

edit: Does anyone have any predictions for Kaneda vs. Gaolong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Rihito could be really, really strong if given actual proper training in a martial art. Like maybe some sort of grappling or something, using his Super Fingers. He's spent pretty much his entire career just relying on his finger slicing stuff, so if he expanded his repertoire he could do a lot more.