Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC February - Dokdo, island of Corea in East Sea

Last Month’s Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803696

Hi I’m your substitute OP for the month while Memento is off doing some crap somewhere. By far the biggest news for us was the departure of long time mod and PSP grappledad Fatherdog: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806415

Bluedeanie posted:

Other important Rowdy Ringsports MMA news of the past month:

-As the thread title says, we passed a near-unamimous resolution declaring our resounding support of South Korean sovereign claim to the Dokdo Islands

-We discovered the real mobn was inside us all along

January was a pretty quiet month for UFC, especially after the madhouse which was December. We only had two events, with exactly zero titles on the line.

UFC Fight Night: Rodriguez vs. Penn was more or less a reminder of why “return from retirement” is always a bad idea. Yair Rodriguez beat the piss out of UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn, in a featherweight fight which was equal parts sad and impressive. Yair moved from prospect to contender via TKO, handing BJ his first career knockdown. One notable highlight from that card is Oleksiy Oiynyk’s early Sub of the Year performance with a probably-never-to-be-repeated Ezekiel choke from bottom mount.

Meanwhile UFC on Fox: Shevchenko vs Peña offered a bit more action and divisional relevance. In the W135 #1 contender main event Valentina Shevchenko, a Kyrgistani who lives in Peru, faced off against Juliana Peña, an American from Spokane who calls herself “The Venezuelan Vixen.” Goons rejoiced as Shevchenko put the much-loathed Peña away with a third-round armbar, likely cementing herself a rematch of her 2016 decision loss to Nunes. Other highlights include Francis Ngannou moving from Heavyweight prospect to probable contender with a much-needed name TKO over Andrei Arlovski, and Jorge Masvidal administering two life-changing beatings to fan favourite Donald Cerrone, in front of Cerrone’s friends and family. This card was pretty fun all around actually.

Anyway, February has a bit more activity than January.

February 4th starts us right with UFC Fight Night: Bermudez vs Korean Zombie, live from Houston. The main event has goons excited enough to get an international territorial dispute into the thread title because Korean featherweight Chan Sung Jung, the only UFC fighter promoted mostly by his nickname, is returning to MMA after an extended absence for mandatory Korean military service. We last saw him getting his arm kicked off by Jose Aldo in an unsuccessful 2013 title bid. If you’re a PSP newcomer who has never seen TKZ (as he’s known) fight, watch these now:

https://www.ufc.tv/video/leonard-garcia-vs-chan-sung-jung-wec-48

https://www.ufc.tv/video/chan-sung-jung-vs-leonard-garcia-ufn-24
https://www.ufc.tv/video/chan-sung-jung-vs-mark-hominick-ufc-140
https://www.ufc.tv/video/chan-sung-jung-vs-dustin-poirier-ufc-fight-night

TKZ is hands down one of the all-time most exciting fighters in the sport. What separates him from other action fighters is that he’s amazingly diverse and actually kind of good at fighting. He’s one of two fighters with consecutive Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night, and Fight of the Night awards (ne’er to be repeated – Cerrone is the other. Anderson Silva got all three bonuses in two fights), and one of the ten or so with a double-award winning fight. He has twice won fight of the year, he is the owner of the only twister victory in UFC history, and he is tied for fastest official* KO (0:07). His fight against Dustin Poirier (linked above) is one of my all-time favourites. All of this on top of a rad nickname.

But even without two+ years of injury recovery and ring rust, Dennis “The Menace” Bermudez is a handful for TKZ. Bermudez is the one-time owner of a seven-fight win streak (which included a split-decision win over current interim champ Max Holloway), and he has a few performance bonuses of his own. He’s essentially the archetypical stocky American wrestler who grinds his way to decision wins, though he’s capable of ending fights suddenly with a Big Right Hand or a muscley strangle. I posted a bunch of TKZ vids so have one classic Bermudez fight:

https://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-157-fotn-dennis-bermudez-vs-matt-grice

Apparently Dennis Bermudez is also the Guinness record holder for drinking a litre of juice through a straw. :shrug: This card features the return of Invicta FC standout Alexa Grasso, who will be tasked with the punching of annoying person Felice Herrig.

UFC 208: Holm vs de Randamie follows on February 11, from Brooklyn. This will be the first title fight of 2017. Former bantamweight champion, pro boxing champ, distinguished Ronda Rousey knocker-outer, and gynocological specimen Holly Holm meets Dutch kickboxing standout Germaine de Randamie for the inaugural Women’s featherweight champ.

I have to editorialize a bit here – I care about WMMA more than the average goon, and I still don't see the point of this fight or division. Basically, the UFC has been trying for some time to make some bank off of Chris Cyborg, a gigantic muscle woman known for anti tai-bo skills which rival Jose Aldo’s anti-wrestling. She couldn’t make 135 for a superfight vs Rousey, she couldn’t convince Rousey to meet her at 140, and then Rousey lost and 140 became too hard for Cyborg. The UFC made a division and a title just for her, but she turned down both Holm and de Randamie as her first opponent. Long story short, USADA came a-knocking, and now Holm is getting an opportunity to become the fourth two-divisional champion in UFC history and de Randamie gets a chance to ruin that party. There is no contender and no other fights scheduled at this weight class. The only way this will turn out well is if we see a bunch of women move up from 135 because they’re sick of cutting weight, which is actually probably a good thing for the health of all involved, and then a subsequent exodus from the 125 division into 135. The more likely outcome will see this title defended once a year on the main events of third-tier cable and FightPass cards until people forget it exists.

The co-main here sees all time great Anderson Silva attempt to snap his four-fight losing streak against Derek Brunson. Brunson is pretty much the kind of powerful-but-crude wrestle boxer who Silva made a Hall of Fame career out of countering to death. A quite-possible Silva loss here would make a strong argument for his retirement, especially if the heavy-handed Brunson manages a KO.

We end the month with UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Browne, from Halifax, Nova Scotia. The original main event of this was supposed to be Junior Dos Santos vs Stefan Struve II, but Struve got hurt and now JDS is rumoured to be fighting Miocic for the title on a different card. Instead, the good people of Nova Scotia get to see Instagram superstar Derek “The Black Beast” Lewis fight Travis “Tiki Themed Turd Golem” Browne. Prospect Lewis is coming off of a lacklustre win over a Dagestani create-a-fighter, whereas Browne is coming off of a decision loss in a rematch against former champ Fabricio Werdum.

That the co-main event pits Johny Hendricks vs Hector Lombard in a middleweight bout means that this card features the highest density of goon-hated fighters in recent memory. Browne is a wife-beating turd, Johny Hendricks misses weight because he can’t poop, and Hector Lombard is a steroid-abusing piece of poo poo. Other noted turds on this card include Sam Sicilia, who is mediocre and people seem to dislike him possibly because he trains with Pena, and Carla Esparza.

Anyway...

Important Champions (images shamelessly stolen from Memento)

Men’s Heavyweight Champ Stipe Miocic (18-2)
Stipe KOed Fabricio Werdum to win the title, and then in his first defence beat up Alistair Overeem so bad that the UFC changed its post-fight interview policies. Stipe has no officially scheduled defences, but rumours are putting him into a rematch with Junior Dos Santos at UFC 211. Dos Santos took a decision win over Stipe in late 2014. If Stipe wins he will tie the record for most heavyweight title defences (2).

Men’s Light Heavyweight Champion – Daniel Cormier (19-1)
Olympic wrestler Cormier is booked to defend his title against Anthony “Rumble” Johnson at UFC 210, a rematch of a 2015 fight for the vacant championship which saw Johnson threaten an early KO before gassing. Cormier is a champ with a lot of baggage – he lives in the shadow his sole loss to disgraced-champion Jon Jones, who has done more than any opponent more to harm his own career, he stands atop the tepid remains of was once the UFC’s flagship division, and he’s coming off of a much-panned non-title victory over Anderson Silva at UFC 200. On top of all that, he trains at American Kickboxing Academy, so he gets injured a lot.

Men's Middleweight Champion - Michael Bisping (37-7)
Bisping picked up a late-career title with a nobody-saw-it-coming KO of Luke Rockhold last year. He is coming off of his first title defence, taking a closely-contested rematch decision against wrestledad Dan Henderson. Yoel Romero is the contender presumptive, having lobotomized former Chris Weidman in Madison Square Garden, but nothing is booked. I think Bisping is injured or some poo poo.

1st AD posted:

I feel like for as long as Bisping is champion, we need to have this quote:

“Let me put it like this, I’ve sparred with Luke Rockhold recently and let’s just say, I’m the unofficial Strikeforce champion."

Men's Welterweight Champion - Tyron Woodley (16-3-1)
Tyron “The Chosen One” Woodley took his title by quick KO of Robbie Lawler last year. He is coming off of an exciting-at-times (if being kind) draw against Steven “Wonderboy” Thompson, and they’re expected to rematch at UFC 209 in March. Goons dislike Woodley and spend a lot of time arguing about why it’s right to dislike him. He was last seen teaching Sage Northcutt that racism is a thing.

Men's Lightweight Champion - Conor McGregor (21-3)
McGregor is still McGregor. The only fight to which he’s even slightly connected right now is one against retired 49-0 boxing champion Floyd Mayweather, so basically he’s not connected to any fights which will ever happen.

Men's Featherweight Champion - Jose Aldo Jr. (26-2)

Men's Interim Featherweight Champion - Max Holloway (17-3)
Holloway and Aldo both suffered their last losses to Conor McGregor, who since fled featherweight to become the first two-division concurrent ufc champion by KOing Eddie Alvarez. MacGregor has since been stripped of the 145 lb belt, holding only the lightweight title now. Aldo rebounded by outclassing Frankie Edgar for an interim title, which was then promoted to full championship so that Holloway parlay a 9-fight winning streak into an interim title fight against former Lightweight champion Anthony Pettis. These two guys will fight, and it will be rad, but we don’t know when it will happen.

Men's Bantamweight Champion - Cody Garbrandt (11-0)
“No Love” actually outclassed long-time Bantamweight kingpin Dominic Cruz for the title in December. No defence scheduled, Garbrandt is coaching The Ultimate Fighter Season 25 opposite former champion T.J. Dillashaw, with filming beginning in January and a projected April air date.

Men's Flyweight Champion - Demetrious Johnson (25-2-1)
“Mighty Mouse” is one of two champions (alongside Women’s Strawweight Joanna Jędrezjczyk) to enter and leave 2016 with a belt. He has defended his title 9 times (tied with GSP for second most title defences behind Anderson Silva’s 10) and he is generally awesome. His most recent fight was a surprisingly competitive scrap against Tim Elliott. No reasonable challenger presently, to the extent that some are wondering if he’ll head for 135. It’s likely that he’ll try first to set the record for title defences if he decides to do that.

Women's Bantamweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (14-4)
Nunes mauled Ronda Rousey in December in her first title defence. Most likely her next challenger will be Valentina Shevchenko, who armbarred Julliana Pena this month. No date or official announcement yet, though. Bluedeanie observes that Raquel Pennington also has a solid claim to a title shot. Pennington is presently the owner of a four-fight win streak with a dominant win over former champion Meisha Tate, and her last loss a split decision defeat to former champion Holly Holm.

Women's Strawweight Champion - Joanna Jędrzejczyk (13-0)
Joanna Champion, with Mighty Mouse, is the other champ to enter and exit 2016 with an intact belt. She was roughed up a bit by Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205, but she was ultimately successful. No challenger, though Jessica Andrade has made a good case, should she pick up a win this month.

Credible news sources:
http://www.mmajunkie.com
http://www.cagepotato.com/
http://www.f4wonline.com/
http://www.mmamania.com

I guess this is where Memento usually puts the upcoming events. I did them at the top, with more commentary.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

CommonShore posted:

Apparently Dennis Bermudez is also the Guinness record holder for drinking a litre of juice through a straw. :shrug:

how appropriate

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Other important Rowdy Ringsports MMA news of the past month:

-As the thread title says, we passed a near-unamimous resolution declaring our resounding support of South Korean sovereign claim to the Dokdo Islands

-We discovered the real mobn was inside us all along

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
In their picture Bisping and Stipe look awfully similar. Never noticed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

“Let me put it like this, I’ve sparred with Luke Rockhold recently and let’s just say, I’m the unofficial Strikeforce champion."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Also Valentina is getting talked up as Nunes' next challenger, but I think Pennington has earned her shot imo

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

For whatever reason people didn't really admit Rockhold's flaws and limitations as a striker even after Vitor punked him. You can't really just write it off as "TRT" when a guy's entire striking game is shut down like that.

(I have now made two posts in a row about Vitor and don't know how I feel about that)

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Twitter Man posted:

For whatever reason people didn't really admit Rockhold's flaws and limitations as a striker even after Vitor punked him. You can't really just write it off as "TRT" when a guy's entire striking game is shut down like that.

(I have now made two posts in a row about Vitor and don't know how I feel about that)

Rockhold didn't take bisping seriously. He clowns bisping like 8 outta 10 times in my opinion if he fights to his potential

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The op is so Fuckin long lol

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Skip My Posts posted:

Rockhold didn't take bisping seriously. He clowns bisping like 8 outta 10 times in my opinion if he fights to his potential

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact Bisping had a perfect game plan and that Rockhold's weaknesses played to his strengths.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dan Henderson beat Michael Bisping twice

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Rockhold wasn't shut down really. Vitor was moving well which made it hard for Luke to get anything going, but at the same time Vitor wasn't really doing much better on the feet. Both guys were getting countered on when they tried to close the distance, so we got a bunch of staring and tepid leg kicks and spinning poo poo until Vitor's spinning poo poo actually landed and stopped the fight.

Also I consider Vitor's late career resurgence as a result born out of PED usage - I don't think he would've been able to commit to the kind of training needed to develop a well-rounded kicking game in a 3-4 year period without having loads of drugs that helped him with recovery.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

1st AD posted:

Also I consider Vitor's late career resurgence as a result born out of PED usage - I don't think he would've been able to commit to the kind of training needed to develop a well-rounded kicking game in a 3-4 year period without having loads of drugs that helped him with recovery.

TRT Vitor was such a guilty pleasure. Sort of feel the same way about Romero he just doesn't seem human.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nifft posted:

TRT Vitor was such a guilty pleasure. Sort of feel the same way about Romero he just doesn't seem human.

Poor guy just wanted to go to his car.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
TJ opens as a favorite over Cody no love

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

My money's on agent cody no love

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cody has the power to finish and dealt with Cruz no problem but I think TJ is more dangerous for him. Even money fight in my opinion

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

excited for this fight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Cub beat Choi and Artem beat Teruto

We need Swanson/Lobov to determine who really has claims to Liancourt

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

100% agreed, but it's not like PEDs took the place of skill and talent. They just let him develop his skills and use his talent more effectively. Talking about Vitor's debut in that other thread got me thinking what a hell of a career he's had.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There's a timeline where Bones tapped to that armbar and Vitor is still champ and also the president.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HEY NONG MAN posted:

There's a timeline where Bones tapped to that armbar and Vitor is still champ and also the president.

The great what if of that fight is Vitor missing the legal soccer kick.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Not saying I'd pick Cody to win or actually put money down myself, but I feel an underdog Garbrandt's gotta be a good value pick against anyone at this point.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sprecherscrow posted:

Not saying I'd pick Cody to win or actually put money down myself, but I feel an underdog Garbrandt's gotta be a good value pick against anyone at this point.

It was like -130 for TJ and +100 for no love. So not much there

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

It was like -130 for TJ and +100 for no love. So not much there

Even odds on Cody is still value I think. Curious how the line moves closer to the fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I consider it a pick'em fight but who knows

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I agree that Dillashaw is more dangerous for Garbrandt, because Dilly Bar is actually good at generating power so he's got a much more realistic puncher's chance than Cruz did. That said, I think Dillashaw is slower and less good at dealing with movement than Cruz is, which should be to Garbrandt's advantage. If I were fool enough to put money on MMA, Garbrandt as an underdog seems like the kind of bet I'd make.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He's not slower than Cruz by any means

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The more I think about TJ + Bang and their kickboxing formula, and the way garbrandt attacks, Im leaning towards a KO a little bit. Not sure for which guy. Probably garbrandt

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm going with no love in spirit and money.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think TJ gets all hot and bothered again and gets beaten by Garbrandt. I just want champions to win, I don't care who. Defend a belt for the love of god, is all I ask.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If TJ wins by stoppage i think it will be tko or sub after hurting him with strikes. I don't think he will get a KO unless he hits him with a big high kick or something. TJ doesn't seem to have a lot of power

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I think TJ gets all hot and bothered again and gets beaten by Garbrandt. I just want champions to win, I don't care who. Defend a belt for the love of god, is all I ask.

if defending a belt were easy it'd be called jiu jitsu

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't think tj's attacks are more difficult to defend against than Dom's and I can't stop seeing Dom committing to, and whiffing, a dozen strikes in a row.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

I don't think tj's attacks are more difficult to defend against than Dom's and I can't stop seeing Dom committing to, and whiffing, a dozen strikes in a row.

Skip My Posts posted:

If TJ wins by stoppage i think it will be tko or sub after hurting him with strikes. I don't think he will get a KO unless he hits him with a big high kick or something. TJ doesn't seem to have a lot of power

i think tj does more damage than cruz and hes committed to trying to wear the other guy down and beat them up unlike cruz

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think TJ is better on the lead than Cruz is.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think it's going to be a great and competitive fight. I gotta go with Cody though. His hands are accurate, fast, and powerful and his wrestling seems good enough to manage the threat of a take down from TJ.

I think the big thing to take away from the Cruz fight is that Cody is a much more intelligent and disciplined fighter than anyone expected. Mostly because he kept knocking people out real fast and there wasn't a lot of footage to look at with him. He game planned the gently caress out of Cruz.

If you can still find and have not seen that BJJ scout post fight video, it's worth a watch to see how Cody knew almost all of Cruz's habits and was always one step ahead of him with his footwork.

Unrelated, but Jorge Masvidal beating the poo poo out of and schooling Donald Cerrone, all while yelling every time he landed anything was cool as hell this past weekend.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

That's fair and one thing I wasn't considering

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

i think tj does more damage than cruz and hes committed to trying to wear the other guy down and beat them up unlike cruz

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

The more I think about TJ + Bang and their kickboxing formula, and the way garbrandt attacks, Im leaning towards a KO a little bit. Not sure for which guy. Probably garbrandt

TJ leads with his head a lot (trying to bait for a counter) and I think this is a bad idea against Cody.

• Locked thread