Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Other important Rowdy Ringsports MMA news of the past month:

-As the thread title says, we passed a near-unamimous resolution declaring our resounding support of South Korean sovereign claim to the Dokdo Islands

-We discovered the real mobn was inside us all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Also Valentina is getting talked up as Nunes' next challenger, but I think Pennington has earned her shot imo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I agree that Dillashaw is more dangerous for Garbrandt, because Dilly Bar is actually good at generating power so he's got a much more realistic puncher's chance than Cruz did. That said, I think Dillashaw is slower and less good at dealing with movement than Cruz is, which should be to Garbrandt's advantage. If I were fool enough to put money on MMA, Garbrandt as an underdog seems like the kind of bet I'd make.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I think TJ is better on the lead than Cruz is.

That's fair and one thing I wasn't considering

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Well that sucks, I guess Valentina it is.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

Also Miesha Tate stinks

I don't think she's all that bad.

1st AD posted:

and is now physically shot so I don't put too much weight into Rocky beating that rear end.

This may be true, but even assuming it is, why is she a worse win than Julianna Pena?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The greatest card of all time, ufc 209, just got even better, as Rashad Evans is coming back and in talks to make his middleweight debut against JUDO DAN KELLY.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Please continue to report, and thank you for taking one for the team.

Counterpoint, please don't, but thank you for your service regardless

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If I had to pinpoint the biggest thing WME is doing that's obviously different from previous ownership, it's how they handle title matchups, but even that's a big maybe as most of the egregious ones can 90-100% be attributed to Conor McGregor.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

how is it different?

They've done an increasing number of interim title fights in divisions where the champion was perfectly healthy and fighting, (although this happened time to time under Zuffa anyway, so it's not even hugely different.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I like that he still found a way to sound like a huge rear end in a top hat. That took finesse.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I forgot there was a card this weekend, and will be celebrating my girlfriend's birthday tonight and her grandma's birthday tomorrow, so if someone wants to make a GDT then go hog wild.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Joe Rogan insinuated on air in an official UFC broadcast that Tate vs Rousey 1 was gonna be the "hottest title fight ever," and yet said nothing of the kind at any point when discussing Weidman vs Rockhold. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's a real Who Cares of a main event, but they're pushing Anderson pretty hard and I imagine he's still worth something in spite of the last several years.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

Four of the five fights on the ppv are actually pretty sick. Andy is Andy, Cannonier vs Teixeira is about as good as you're gonna get in a LHW contender matchup, Jacare vs Boetsch is at least intriguing and Dustin vs Jim Miller us an objectively sick fight. Can't bring myself to get excited about #10 vs 2 fight losing streak main event though.

Conversely, I completely agree with your assessment, but that doesn't necessarily translate to ppv buys so I kind of get what Lord Waffle Beard is insinuating.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

His resting heart rate was 34 BPM, which iirc is freakish even among "actual athletes", not just MMA guys

Pretty standard for a vampire though. In fact even on the high side.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Idk if I missed this but Werdum vs Rothwell got rebooked for UFC 211. That's a lot of heavyweights with a lot of time for knees and backs to get hurt.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Conor never fights Aldo again it would be a tragic waste

We're in luck, it looks like there's an event June 17 that they're targeting for the rematch.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There's still a day left for something to go wrong. I won't believe that Uncle Creepy is fighting until the first punch connects.

I dunno, I mean it seems to just be denying reality to watch a fight for a round and a half and deny it's happening

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I helped a friend cut weight for her wedding when she was too big for her dress and her husband got real mad at us when he realized we massively dehydrated her and like half their photos from the day he has a real mean scowl.

Lmao

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Of course

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3809595

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I actually did not hate de Randamie vs Holm as much as you all seemed to, but I think it was a matter of perspective. I went into it figuring that if someone didn't knock the other out, it would probably be the most dire, tepid, unwatchable dogshit I could ever imagine, so it was considerably better than I anticipated (despite Holm's best efforts to meet my expectations in the later rounds.) Even without that, I thought it was better than the Teixeira fight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I want a ufc hot dog brander

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Brain Curry posted:

I don't remember her walking out with a blind kid.

Lmao

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

To be fair, it does kind of look like de Randamie is ducking Cyborg when she calls out literally every other fighter in the division.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Does she even *need to* duck Cyborg? I genuinely don't believe Cyborg is ever going to make 145 without either getting of the steroids (which she won't do) or using diuretics (which she'll get popped for). I think she's pissed herself into irrelevancy.

It was a joke about how the division consists entirely of three Germaine and two other people, but yeah I guess I don't really disagree too much.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I get wanting things to be as fair as possible, and I also get why there are a lot of reasons this is an imperfect metaphor, but I think ultimately it's impossible to regulate physiology to be "fair" to everyone in the same division even within the same gender. Like Jon Jones has stupid physical advantages in that he has gibbon arms and is not 43 years old, and no one argues that he shouldn't be allowed to compete at light heavyweight until he catches up in age to the division's average and gets arm shortening surgery. Bigfoot Silva obviously took hormonal matters into his own hands and rear end, but his pituitary disorder arguably could have been considered a physical advantage as it made him big and powerful or whatever, and people didn't make it super weird about him fighting at heavyweight either.

Again, I know there's a lot more to it with trans fighters, but if people are cool with getting in the cage with Jon Jones knowing he can pluck their eyes out from across the cage, I don't have a problem with people getting in the cage knowing their opponent changed genders or whatever if everyone is cool with it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

willie_dee posted:

I think Derrick "The Black Beast" Lewis Vs Travis Browne should be really good, im really rooting for Derrick as he seems to be very funny on social media.

Please tell me he hasn't got any horror stories in his closet and hes a legit nice guy.

He has a horror story out in public and it was his last fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

What if Nate and Conor see the opportunity to come together snd defeat their most dangerous mutual enemy (not having enough money) by performing the fusion dance, could Nator McDiaz defeat Floyd then

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

In a 2-on-1 match where Floyd has to defend himself against Diaz and McGregor in boxing, I do believe Floyd would get KO'd.

That's not how the fusion dance works, not to be rude or anything but please try not to weigh in on technique discussion if you don't really understand it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

if you surgically grafted nate diaz's arms onto conor mcgregor that would be a pretty scary guy. just spooky looking.

I think we need to firmly establish universe rules for this fictional fight, is it in DragonBall z rules or is it in MGS 2/4 rules? DBZ definitely favors McGregor/Diaz, I think MGS is much more even.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

We never settled Batman vs Anderson, but that's ok. New matchup: Modern Era Aquaman (magical hand made of wwter that grants him powers beyond breathing underwater and talking to fish) vs Majin Boo in that form where he is obsessed with candy?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

There's a lot of tape on GSP, but now everyone thinks his set up to the double leg is to freeze in place for 10 seconds and spin a hoola hoop on his face

Nice

Also, while I think only the second of the late shots was particularly egregious, if the commission is smart it will seize this opportunity to declare that the women's featherweight belt legally no longer exists, never existed and cannot exist in the future.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's important for champions to have a character: dominick cruz is a cat in human skin, georges st pierre is a robot driven insane by reconciling his customer service politeness programming with being a fighter, and tyronewoodley was raised machida style by an overbearing parent who played the yoshi's island mario crying noise to him in his sleep every day of his life

I'm surprised that despite this, Mark Hunt remains the only person to pull off the Yoshi's Island butt slam mid fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I see the Les Múscle Terribles project has gone well

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

That is insane and stupid, to me.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

A lot of weird news. That sucks about Horiguchi.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Personally I am real glad Misha and Horiguchi are gone but the UFC had the good sense to keep Chris Avila (0-2), Angela Magana (0-2), Thibault Gouti (0-3), Kailin Curran (1-4), and Jessica Eye (1-5) around.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

There's a card tonight. It's probably going to be bad. Unlike the hit new M. Night Shyamalan film "Split," certified "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810694

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

I bet Travis Browne also doesn't know the difference between CApSA and TERN but I bet he does know the difference between Net (what they trapped him in to bring him to the UFC) and Gross (how he physically looks)

Lmao

Gramps posted:

Sombody hurt Travie's feelies

That is the exact opposite reaction I had when I watched him get knocked the gently caress out this weekend, actually

• Locked thread