Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
black hawk helicopters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dan Didio posted:

Misha Cirkunov, Rick Story and Lorenz Larkin are apparently no longer on the UFC roster.

every single one of those dudes should be like co-main free TV cards. what the heck UFC

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ummmm... alright.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Work Friend Keven posted:

UFC sells a lot of ppvs and doesn't have to pay their talent that much, I don't know why anyone would think it isn't bare minimum profitable.

yeah. I've seen websites on the internet point toward UFC 206 Holloway vs Pettis as being a failure cause it only did 150k buys but they easily paid all of the purses that night with ticket sales. Even with a low buyrate, all those PPV sales are just profit.

It's gonna take quite a few years to earn back the $4.2 billion they invested but every month they're generating like $50-100 million in revenue. They'll get it back. And firing Mike Goldberg was the first step

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

They have a lot more costs than just fight purses

well yes of course but those other costs are much more fixed (things like production, promotional material, flights, hotels, per diem, and all the assistants they have helping fighters). I doubt if those costs are much more than a million per event though. The bulk definitely has to be paying ~24 fighters anywhere from $10k to $100k, more for bigger events.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Balthesar posted:

You're forgetting overhead back office staff, executive compensation, etc, etc

The UFC incurs many costs even when they aren't putting on a card.

...and UFC also has more ways of making money than just PPVs and ticket sales, but I wasn't talking about the whole company, just each event. That's where a ton of their money goes and where they get a lot of money back.

And more to your point, WME-IMG has already laid off dozens of UFC employees because a lot of the office staff was redundant between the two companies. If anything they're saving money now on that front.

The first step to maximizing their profits was definitely getting rid of Mike Goldberg though

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

http://streamable.com/yhaku

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

eddie should be fighting the loser of ferguson/khabib anyway. or maybe barboza

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC probably wants Floyd vs Conor for $50 million

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC: Seoul 2 is gonna be insane

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if you combined all the talents of chan sung jung and none of the talents of dominick cruz you'd end up with the perfect fighter!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

rogan, anik, and cormier are gonna commentate 208

WME-IMG hated Goldberg so much that they fired him immediately with no send-off, had no replacement already locked up, and are now probably paying a little more money to have 3 guys do commentary. that's how much they hated Goldberg.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Dokdo meme isn't funny.

3 things that will probably always be funny:

1. Sage Northcutt sex jokes
2. Territory disputes between countries
3. That Chael Sonnen video clip about Travis Browne

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I never appreciated how hard Bisping hits Rockhold after he rocks him and Luke gets back to his feet. I always though Bisping just shoved him down before teeing off on him, but nope, that was another clean (and harder) shot to the jaw.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tsyni posted:

I was looking at the rankings and I noticed that Carla Esparza is still #3 straw weight...and has an upcoming fight against an unranked opponent. What's the deal there?

The deal is I've watched every women's strawweight fight and I couldn't name more than 5 women in the division if you held a gun up to my head and demanded I name more. Sean Shelby is in a similar predicament, as is Luke Thomas, the guy who creates the rankings pages.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think Aldo.... wins.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'm glad Cody No Love exists & is champion.
signed,
Dominick Cruz fan for 8 years

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

bring back fatherdog

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

I wonder if the UFC is on board. Maybe they will just get 10% of Conor's purse or something. But if they aren't I wonder how long they could hold it up in court. Its unclear how enforceable UFC contracts are w/r/t other sports, especially with how close MMA comes to falling under the Ali act

what I was wondering is if UFC is involved/on board, would Mayweather vs McGregor PPV benefit from all if UFC helped stack it a little bit? That PPV probably does 2 - 3 million buys on its own, but if UFC were to throw a decent title fight or two on it and maybe Golden Boy puts a good boxing match on it too, it might bolster that number up a bit. I could see it contending with the Floyd vs Pacquaio PPV record with UFC's help.

Trast posted:

I understand why Conor wants to do this. I'm not sure why the UFC would be on board past a short term gain. Having their bell cow get pointed by a past his prime boxer hurts the brand.

eh even the most casual of combat sports fans will understand that Mayweather is in a different class from McGregor when it comes to boxing. As long as Conor doesn't get TKO'd, which may happen but probably won't, his reputation won't suffer too much from a 12 round loss.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

I don't think the undercard matters. For Floyd /Manny every single Filipino in the US watched it. It's tough to quantify which % of my people the whites would tune in but I bet the number of people who would be swayed by a stipe fight or GGG or something on the undercard would be completely insignificant

Yeah that makes sense, and would be a bit of a bummer. I thought it was a bit silly when Floyd and Manny charged $100 for their 1-fight PPV but I understood why they could get away with it. I wish that bump was more significant cause I could see a megacard between UFC & boxing's greats actually being worth $100+ and doing really well, but like you said the undercard ultimately won't matter so we won't get to see it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it's gotta be gsp vs bisping. they do the yoel vs jacare rematch. anderson fights some other bum (or nick diaz rematch) in the meantime to earn his title shot.

gsp gains little from coming back and fighting anybody but woodley at 170, and even then, not as much as he would have back when johny hendricks was champion. 185 or 155 are the classes gsp needs to consider.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC is in a weird place where they're letting legit top 10 guys like rory macdonald and kyoji horiguchi walk but are focusing on derrick lewis and belial remember the name muhammad to headline all their cards.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

roy jones jr. is my favorite rap artist. and boxer

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I like Johny... but I really really hope that's being prophetic in more ways than one

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Losing a top 5 guy who has only lost to the champion I can forgive, but cutting Nikita Krylov is an act of cruelty

it's super weird cause Nikita Krylov has never had a fight go the distance in his UFC career (or his entire career for that matter). Krylov is guaranteed entertainment. If that dude can't even hang around as a mid-carder then what the gently caress kind of product is UFC trying to sell us

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it got played out for a little bit but Cody is the horniest fighter of all time, which may explain why he's the greatest one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

If I had to guess, WME plans to run way fewer shows.

yeah. fewer shows and fewer international cards.

• Locked thread