Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

grilldos posted:

Not all of Season 2's first pair of episodes is bad. The CGI battle scenes were a joy to watch, and all of the Miller scenes (with the exception of the Thoth Invasion) were fantastic, which I feel is mostly due to Tom Jane and the Roci actors. Tom Jane forces a scene to pace well. If you compare his scenes of Season 2 with Bobbie's, it's a night and day difference. He pauses, he collects himself physically. Do you remember how many scenes in the first season involved Tom Jane taking his time to do blocking bits like Stand Up or Cross A Room? It was all the loving time. Characters are drat near still in Season 2 unless the scene actively calls for something different.

So at the end of the day, most of these problems are directoral. Breck Eisner did these two, and he did none of Season 1's. I also would be willing to bet that Syfy really pushed for Big Action for the season premiere, so the Thoth Station invasion had to make it into the first two episodes. The editor had to really cram all of this in, with footage from a borderline director. I think in someone else's hands, maybe one of the 4 guys who directed season 1, things would have come out better. Especially if they didn't need to cram so much poo poo into these two episodes.

And finally, Thoth Station's invasion, specifically Miller's scenes once it's boarded, feels off. This is the one scene where all of the problems of this season premiere show themselves. You get the sense that, what, there are like 10 people on the station? That station is loving huge, and the direction does nothing to really give you a sense of the space. It feels like a set, in the way that (another Syfy show, one that is not good) Dark Matter's station sets feel like a set. The blocking is weird and without motivation for anyone other than Tom Jane, and when his invasion lackies shoot up the Matrix folks with hundreds of bullets, they're all facing eachother in a big circle and should have shot eachother up. Badly. Tom Jane also wanders around and immediately finds exactly what he is looking for, Dresden, one room over, on a station that is loving Gigantic, according to the ship fight that the viewer just saw minutes before. Dresden's rant feels less like the pointed words of a charismatic sociopath and more like an actor just spewing out lines quickly.

This scene reeks of bad direction from the start to the end, because the director simply went by the plot, which is the sign of a lovely director. The boarding party breaks in, kid gets shot, Miller notices gel, scolds his men, they find weird people, the weird people get mad, they shoot the weird people, Miller leaves everyone alone for some reason, he finds Dresden, Holden and Johnson show up, Dresden says insane poo poo, Miller shoots Dresden. All of this happens, and the director does nothing on his own accord to make any of it feel earned or the least bit realistic in physical flow. poo poo happens because it was written to happen.

I really do like the show, and I'm not at all saying it's poo poo and should be dropped or whatever extreme bullshit TV IV is known for. These were a pretty flawed pair of episodes with plenty still in them to enjoy. I am looking forward to getting on with it now that Syfy's blue balls orgasm of a premiere is done.

This is part of why the Thoth Invasion felt so off at the end of it, too. The invasion in the book was half an infantry battle and half Miller discovering the truth of that station, Dresden, and coming to a personal epiphany about who he is and what the system has become. There's none of the personal reflection in that scene. It's just action, baby! I'm fine with pure action, they gave it to us with the ship battle. So where's the character-driven emotional payoff I'd grown accustomed to with Season 1?

This is all good criticism. I liked both season 2 kickoff episodes and will watch out the remainder of the show enthusiastically but I think you're right on, with a little more attention episode 2 could have been improved significantly.

My question re: the Thoth station boarding is... what the heck? Command and control between the stealth ship, Dresden, and the security team seems to have been weak. Dresden seems to have just been chatting normally when Miller finally walked in to his computer screen room. Wouldn't he have been notified by somebody that the station's gun was actively engaging boarding pods, and that the stealth ship had engaged a hostile vessel?

Secondly, apparently there were some kind of private mercenary security teams on the station. If you were a security team armed with gel-firing non-lethal weapons, would you respond to a potentially hostile boarding pod? I think you'd get the lethal weapons from the armory before responding. You certainly wouldn't fire exactly one non-lethal round at a bunch of armed guys who just blasted their way on board your top secret station. And then that entire security team all got wiped out by apparent blind fire through a wall? Wasn't sure exactly what happened there.

mastershakeman posted:

I honestly didn't like the ship fight at the end since it seemed like the enemy ship took a nap instead of trying to get an angle on them to use a railgun

Subyng posted:

No I agree with mastershakeman. Yes they were using the station as cover, so why wasn't the stealth ship attempting to maneuver around it to get a clear shot? Maybe it was, but the way the scene was presented it seemed like the stealth ship wasn't really doing anything. Maybe waiting for the Roci to pop out of cover?

I liked the ship fight a lot too. When it was happening I made the same nit-pick. They could have amped up the idea that stealth ship was actively working to get an angle on the Rocinante somehow. My further nit-pick however is that the stealth ship fired exactly two missiles to destroy the 2nd OPA ship. I would have thought after the first two missiles were intercepted the stealth ship might have continued trying to blast the 2nd OPA ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

So.... protomolecule is extra-solar, eh? This series has xeno life forms? Don't get me wrong, Game of Thrones in space is cool but I'm stoked if we get White Walkers in space too. (Not literally)

Seems so far that the proto-molecule is more like the Halo Flood.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This shot gives me vague vertigo but I like the attempt to show how spin stations work.

I thought that shot was great! One of the best of the first two S2 episodes.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I love the sci-fi stuff going on in the Expanse. Something the show hasn't really touched on yet is how difficult it really is to get out of Earth's gravity. The Earth's navy for instance isn't really being built with any resources that are shot into space from Earth on chemical rockets, I would imagine. Are these Epstein drives also used as rockets to get equipment into space from the surface of planets? Or has Earth constructed space elevators? Or is Earth really just written off as an overpopulated but basically self-sustaining type place, and Earth's power as a force in the Solar system is derived from it's control of orbital, moon-based, and other remote space-based installations?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

No space elevators. Some ships can manage takeoff and landing with their Epstein drives. Others (I guess those without Epsteins?) rely on help from ground-based mass drivers to get into orbit. I don't recall any chemical rockets.

Pretty much any ship with an Epstein drive can accelerate fast enough to kill its crew and then some, so the ability to overcome 1g to get into orbit isn't really the limiting factor.

Interesting, cool stuff.

In case you nerds want more semi-hard sci-fi to watch that reminds you of The Expanse a little bit, I suggest you check out Outland (1981). It has a lot of the same stuff going on, and is a pretty entertaining as hell movie :) Just a smaller labor relations/capitalism run amok/conspiracy story though, no major political factions struggling for power.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but there are some ridiculous goofs in the film, like antigravity jail cells in which blood drips up towards the ceiling and people exploding upon exposure to vacuum.

It's basically a remake of High Noon in space, with Sean Connery playing Gary Cooper. Still entertaining, good performances.

Not entirely a High Noon remake in that it brings in the evils of capitalism; exploitation of human labor innn spaaaacee. But yeah, there's goofs for sure. It is all made up for with the "My men? My men are poo poo" line though. And I see Miller's space cop character as sort of a merging of Sean Connery's character in Outland and Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner, with a bit of new fun stuff brought to the table.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hey guy, not everyone here knows what's going to happen and this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I've read the books so I know, but others don't and you're straight up spoiling things. Good job.

I haven't read the books but from the get go was pretty confident most if not all of the Mars marines are going to get killed off. It would make their deaths cooler and more emotional though if they took the screen time they have now to develop them a bit better and make them more interesting (kind of like how the medic who got his head blown off was a likable and intriguing guy). Right now I don't see myself shedding much of a tear for any of them, except maybe the Earther (and the bald captain).

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 11, 2017

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Overpopulated but definitely not self sufficient. The show sort of touches on it with the sea wall in NY, but Earth has been ravaged by climate change and is dependant on the resources of the outer solar system.

Where the "lazy Earthers" thing comes from is free air, free water and free money. UBI isn't all it's cracked up to be, though.

There's the thing that bugs me a little. What is the resource they need to live on Earth that they need to get from the outer planets and asteroids? They haven't made it exactly clear yet.

Apparently there's fusion power now, so energy shouldn't be an issue. They have air (not a space balls situation). Water can't be an issue on Earth, with fusion power drinkable water should be available for all. The sky isn't shown as so polluted that sunlight isn't getting through, so I assume there is enough sun to grow crops and food isn't an issue. They're not getting space food delivered from orbital farms or anything.

I really don't see what they would need from the outer solar system, unless it is some exotic space metal or fuel needed for the advanced fusion energy technology that is only available from asteroids. Generally though anything on an asteroid is just as easily mined on Earth.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Bates posted:

The setting of the Expanse is more interesting than Space Antarctica so that's where you suspend your disbelief.

Oh yeah, no worries, I am enjoying it and suspending the hell out of my disbelief.

Accretionist posted:

Aren't these the space equivalent of guys who draw dicks in porta potties?

This is the kind of characterization that would have been great, rather than just the bickering between them. If we saw more jovial bantering, and one of them scratching cartoons on a wall in the head (toilet) it would have been great. Take some queues from the colonial marines scene in Aliens. Tweak it however you want, but in the space of fifteen minutes those early scenes in Aliens established several characters and made them quite like able.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

Well I mean they have some super fancy power armor that is literally a walking compact weapons platform on it's own, when in the previous season the guys entrusted with preventing a war by the captain of the Donnager basically just had a bit of armor on some void suits.

Only thing I was kinda reading in to it was that Bobbie's squad seemed to be also intended for ground operations, so their equipment would be different. The guys on the Donnager were maybe just the standard complement of ship board marines for ship-to-ship boarding and security only. The Donnager didn't appear to know what it was getting in to, they were just flying by to check something out. Bobbie's squad seems more like a special detachment/troop carrier situation, temporarily assigned to the ship they were on for a specific task. Hence the captain feeling like he was babysitting a bunch of knuckleheads.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I was legit worried they were going to kill off Miller and the show was going to lose pretty much the best character.

Favorite Miller quotes so far:

"We need these scientists alive guys!"
"Yeah, I did, I killed the mad scientist."
"Fred's geeks crunched all the numbers, velocity, speed, angle, all that crap"

So many more... basically every line he delivers is awesome.

Him and Amos are the dual badasses leading this rag tag group, I love it.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Miller!! Miller!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like how in the future where earth is united and the UN runs the show, all the nukes are still America's :911:

e: also are they going from silo to space in like 2 seconds holy poo poo

Hard Sci Fi nerd discussion:

Yeah, I figured the interplanetary space nukes would probably be satellite, moon-based, or fleet-based rather than Earth silo based. But whatever, it's cool. I could see keeping a complementary set of ground-based nukes for strategic purposes (hard to wipe out in a space-based sneak attack), but the bulk of the strategic nukes would probably be based on ships or satellites...

Time to go watch Dr. Strangelove again...

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

If your retaliatory nukes are on the planet you force Mars to wipe out your population and provide an incentive for you to do the same if they want to disarm you. Space or Luna based nukes leave you vulnerable to being disarmed and blackmailed, making it genocide or nothing is better MAD.

Yep, I like the cold war type reference. Ensured population death/difficulty of first strike or sabotage is the only reason to keep the nukes on the surface of Earth.

Baronjutter posted:

I want to give money to the people who make the expanse but the TV industry is flaming garbage and I can't figure it out without buying physical media disks I don't really want. Space.ca just has all the episodes for free on the website. God I wish TV shows were like buying a PC game, you just load up steam, buy the game, and the creators get most of the cut.

I bought a season subscription on youtube, 20 odd bucks. Hopefully the team gets a decent cut.

Still bummed about Miller... for me it is like if Darryl on The Walking Dead got killed off, or Jorah Mormont on GOT. Without Miller, the belter kid character is going to be tricky to watch on his own without a new awesome character to fill the void. Bobbie ain't going to cut it so far.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No, Eros is the place where the DNA of two lifeforms mixed. Venus would be the environment it grows in or whatever

gohmak posted:

Dude the imagery is there for you to see.

Neither analogy is perfect. Both aren't bad. Eros had a kind of womb-like gestation going on, with a male entering with a bomb to connect with a female. Venus did get splooged on.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

The only thing that niggled at me and it's a minor point and all but relevant - didn't Miller only have like 12 minutes of 02 left after the rip after the ship sprayed metal all over them? And then with the communication delays they display prominently he was well over an hour breathing his own C02.

One thing that niggled me was the bomb 60 second noise. If he's in a vac suit and there is a vacuum around, how is he hearing a noise the bomb is making? Did the comm in his suit have a wifi connection to the bomb detonator?

Doesn't really matter but it is one of those tiny details they could have nailed somehow without overtly explaining it. It seemed like he was reacting to the bomb, not a noise over his headset.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

gohmak posted:

Technically the metaphor for sex and fertalization occured when Julie came in contact with the proto-molecule. Mitosis is under way long before Miller arrives with the bomb. What he really does is guides the egg to the Goddess of love and beauty instead of Earth for implantation. The imagery of the crash is still a sperm meeting an egg.

Nah, it can occur at many points. Anytime one thing enters another. When Eros first entered he solar system you could say that is 'sex'. I kinda assumed the initial science team on Eros that got incinerated were also exposed to the proto molecule, so maybe they were the first ones to experience the sex metaphor?

No, Miller entering Eros is a perfectly good sex metaphor too. In a way he planted a seed in Julie's revived proto-construct. And even made an emotional connection and had a sense of togetherness. That's the best kind of sex. Let's not get distracted by a simple visual of a rock hitting a planet.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Space Crabs posted:

Also it's obvious that the launching of the missiles was the metaphor for birth control, the NauVoo was your buddy frank that likes to cockblock you all the time, and Naomi and Holden having sex was a metaphor for capitalism.

Crushing rear end to dust is an allegory for imperialism.

:D We're through the rabbit hole...

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

which episode and yo momma joke were your favorites

Error 404 posted:

Yo momma so barren the MCRN are tryin to terraform her

Was the best one.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Reminds me of an old front page article.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/science-fiction-summary/

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

bobfather posted:

Nukes obliterate ships in a single hit.

I remember some good nerd talk about nukes in space back in the BSG revival days. Nukes definitely need to actually hit and penetrate and explode INSIDE the hull in order to be truly effective. The radiant damage if they detonate on the outside of the hull really isn't so bad - it is the superhot shockwave created by atmosphere that makes nukes so deadly.

So the further question would be then; if you have your ship vented with no atmosphere on the inside, how bad would a nuke detonation even be if it went off right inside your ship? Still bad, I'd imagine, but maybe survivable if you've got a huge ship like the Donnager?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Wow, cool episode.

MiddleOne posted:

That last shot of the crew over Venus was extremely anime.

Yeah... from a non-book reader, this whole protomolecule thing is starting to get weird. It went from:

1. Alien flu bug found on a frozen rock (okay, pretty good. I like it, even.)

2. Alien flu bug used as chem/bio weapon, able to mix with human DNA and break laws of physics - the grav drive moving Eros. (okay I guess, the Julie/Miller send off episode was one of the best)

3. Alien flu bug appropriated as genetic engineering weapon (okay, follows kinda maybe).

and now-

4. Alien GOD particle on Venus. The gravity drive of Eros was one thing, but now we're disassembling ships with some kind of effortless force? ...eh..

Anyhow -

I hope we get more of Fred's Officer cute McWeirdAccent next season. Her headshotting two rebel belters was pretty awesome. And our Martian marine is starting to get very likeable too. Good stuff.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

To flesh this out in show references, Julie told Miller she had to go to Earth so "the work" could continue. She accepted Venus as an alternative, so one can presume that the work is preceding there, if much more slowly because it can't hijack Earth's biosphere and has to rely on what it started with to reprocess the nonbiological materials on Venus instead. It's building glowing towers there. Those towers presumably are meant to do something or serve as an intermediate step to a final product.

The protomolecule is an adaptive biological nanomachine that reprograms any biological material it finds to build towards more complex forms that can start manufacturing nonorganic machines. We saw a very small scale version of this on Eros, but it was designed to be launched into the primitive biosphere of Earth a billion years ago and just accidentally got snagged by Saturn's gravity. Protogen found this super complex tool they don't understand that can change biological things at a fundamental level and are hoping they can learn from it how to change biological things at a fundamental level for their own purposes and override its original programming.

I can dig it, the only non-logical thing is why would aliens put their terraforming payload on - apparently- a rock? I would think it would go on a more sophisticated probe type thing to send it to other systems, with a propulsion system.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that Eros developed some of its magical powers through the processes the protomolecule created by fusing all of the biomass together, I am not sure it's right to assume Phoebe had the ability to break physics in quite the same way.

That's what I'm saying... if you were a super-advanced civilization designing a probe with protomolecule to colonize elsewhere, and you know radiation is its food source; I would think on the probe you'd want some kind of canned radiactive material or dormant reactor to kick-start it, with maybe a solid helping of organic molecules to get'r going. Plus a propulsion source. Without some kind of propulsion, if you're relying on the payload just floating through the void until it finds something, you're going to be waiting a REALLY long time, even if you accelerate it really fast from its start point (although then you need a means to decelerate it too, or it will just zip through systems). If the civ has the kind of wiz-bang tech we got a hint at on Venus; I would think they'd go ahead and use a propulsion device of some kind rather than just send a rock into the void with some scrapings on it's surface.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See this is just a quick motion though. With a machine gun your actor has to just stand there and do zombie arms while pretending to shoot people and it looks boring and bad.

If you want to continue the Iron Man comparison, look at the drone fight in Iron Man 2. War Machine just stands there and waves his arms around.

Machine gun hands looked pretty good on the new BSG (all CGI) centurions, but otherwise, yeah, I don't think it would work very well as a practical costume on a real person. Plus... gun nerd wise... you're confined to a pretty short barrel and low caliber, and the ammunition feeding mechanism is dubious at best... not sure if it is really that good a weapon system.

Rifles, SMG's, and other small arms in combination with power armor are way cooler. With the possible exception if Bobbie had an Aliens style steady-cam smart-gun mounted to her power armor.

I thought the scene where she just walked into the room and started throwing people around with the Naomi voice-over was pretty great myself.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

404notfound posted:

Re: Holden, do you guys think a different actor would've made his scenes land better? I don't know anything else that Strait has done, but I feel like a big weakness of the character has just been the way he's written. He's kind of one-dimensional by design, and though they've taken measures to punch up his character development for the show (yes, he's even more bland in the books), I don't know how much you can alter his trajectory while still following the major story beats.

No, I think really it is script. You could debate maybe a 'better' actor would do a better job, but the script has been kinda wishy washy with his character, often using him to create a forced conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Im surprised no one has suggested yet that holden is some kind of deconstruction of the archetypal lead good guy by actually being played as an insufferable self righteous unlikeable prick

Thing is; Holden is pretty likeable - I wouldn't call him a prick. When the script machinations turn him prick-ish I feel like it as artificial, I don't really read it as his character.

Example: when he went Captain Ahab when chasing the proto-monster in the wrecked dome, yelling at Alex to Stay On Target. Holden's prick-like obsession didn't feel particularly authentic or character driven (why does he care so much about killing this thing he only learned about a few minutes ago that he would risk losing his ship and friends?). There's at least two or three other situations where Holden was used to create some character conflict that felt pretty weak.

Most of other characters haven't suffered from being used like that to create dramatic conflict.

• Locked thread