Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

money worship posted:

Yo momma so fat that if they had used her instead of Nauvoo to knock Eros out of it's orbit the several pages of physics discussion would have been like "Oh yeah, that checks out"

I'm still going through the thread (this is from page 30 or so?) but goddamn this post :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

If proto Eros took on Julie's personality, then that means the proto monster got some child's personality...which explains why it was so child-like with its single minded focus on getting what it wants. hosed up. :cry:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

huge spoiler so don't click unless you've completed book 2/ started reading book 3

do we know if miller is coming back on the show

Nothing concrete yet

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The BSG Marines always get died in droves so they probably don't have many volunteers.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The original robot Cylons met the alien-human-robot-guys and wanted human-like bodies. So the slavers are technically regular Cylons who have ascended or whatever you wanna call that.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Oh I wasn't trying to disagree with you, I meant to show support in my own awful way. My bad!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

They made a TV movie called "The Plan"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

sebmojo posted:

a giant tray of cucumber sandwiches is like five bucks.

That's two 40s

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

While I wait for season 3, I'm watching Battlestar Galactica. I never actually finished the show, so I'm going in from square one with the miniseries.

It's a drat good miniseries. Couple quibbles about the time frame though, and just how the hell Baltar survived a nuclear shockwave destroying his house and Six's body but leaving him with a cut on his cheek.

There's a good reason for that which is actually consistent with one of the themes of the show.

God did it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Everyone in space must really fuckin hate California in that universe.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Season 2 hits Prime on Feb 7th.

Thank god, I need to rewatch this so badly

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Prose is solid B work. Straightforward, well edited.

I mean, don't expect great literature. The first book -- all I've read -- has that loose, inexpressive style to it that doesn't exactly scream "I'm a novel". Feels more like someone's novelisation of an unmade film script or whatever. But if you can look past that then it's pretty smooth sailing.

That's why the TV show is so tight - the book writers are also the show writers and were more than willing to adapt to the medium at the expense of the original material to produce a good product.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

It actually originated FROM a tabletop RPG :eng101:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/the-evolution-of-james-s-a-coreys-space-epic-the-expanse/

quote:

Franck hadn’t forgotten his world, however. It was well suited for gaming, and while it wouldn’t become an MMO, he started to run it as a roleplaying game on a post-to-play gaming forum. He opened up a private forum with threads for each round, for each character, their actions and out-of-character commentary. It was here, online, that a story began to emerge. What had been distant elements of a world were now together in a vibrant setting, alongside a grand story of human societies in competition with one another. Now, all it needed were some characters.

The game heavily influenced what would one day become the book: a crew of a water hauler is caught in the midst of an interplanetary war when they stumble upon an alien protomolecule on the asteroid Eros. Many distinct elements of the game made their way into the novel: characters, locations, ships, and events (Franck killed off one of his gamers when the player had to leave the game early; his out was a spectacular death). They key components of the larger story began to fall into place through various runs of the game, fleshing out the setting and testing out the logic of the world. Core elements of a narrative began to coalesce. Gamers developed the narrative’s central characters: Holden, Naomi, Amos, Alex and Shed, who navigated the solar system and the delicate balance of power around them, aboard the corvette battleship Rocinante.

“A lot of the characters in Leviathan Wakes are from the game, most notably the crew of the Roci. There were as many as eight crew members at some points in the game… [They] were condensed down for the books, but the core four crew members are recognizable from the game,” wrote Raja Doake, who I met on the set of The Expanse in Toronto. He’s named along with Tom, Sake Mike, Non-Sake Mike, Porter, Scott, Jeff, Mark, Dan and Joe in the novel’s acknowledgements—the original inhabitants of The Expanse.

The game that played out on the forum eventually fizzled out. Liza Williams, who observed it at the time, noted that, “it was a bit like starting to read a book and getting invested in the characters, and then having it end just once things had gotten interesting.”

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't know their names but the worst space cops are the ones who allowed Black Market to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

-Will Miller come back some how due to alien space magic? Maybe he'll become Venus like what's her name became eros.

Only if Venus keeps that sweet 'do

• Locked thread