Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Marathoned the first season this week in time to catch the premiere. I know the science and physics on the show are fairly accurate, but are there any good articles on how accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Excellent. I was also looking for some kind of primer on Belter slang because every now and then some Belter extra will say something that sounds like utter gibberish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Phy posted:

Any Texans - is Cas Anvar's Mariner Valley drawl for Alex anything like a real Texas accent or does he sound like some goob trying to imitate Mission Control? Because honestly that's what I pictured the Mariner accent as anyway.

It varies. He doesn't usually hit cartoon levels of drawl, but it's an obviously affected accent. I like it, but the real test would be to hear him pronounce milk, jalapeņo, tamales, and find out if he hates Dallas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is just me making assumptions, but I don't think actual Good Samaritan doctors would purposely break a quarantine and hack an airlock. They had to be Protogen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Eiba posted:

It seemed plausible to me. They mostly figured out what was actually going on- that an entire city had been wiped out as some kind of sick experiment. As far as they knew, no one else knew anything, and so it was worth risking their lives (and incidentally everyone else's lives) to get the information out there. They weren't going to do things by the book, because the people who wrote the book were responsible for this, and they weren't going to stand for it.

Their perspective made sense. Holden's actions made sense. A good person killed good people because of a hosed up situation.

I guess I can see both arguments. I hope they keep the answer vague, at least for a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All of the Eros transmissions have sounded like noise to me except the screaming as it avoids the Nauvoo. Besides DON'T TOUCH ME, what else has been in the transmissions?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Subyng posted:

The whole thing with Miller and the dead man's switch on the bomb seemed a bit contrived.

Is this in the books as well? Feels like Miller has more close calls than anyone else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

OB_Juan posted:

https://gifsound.com/?gfycat=AliveExhaustedHarvestmen&v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Just saw the new episode, drat.

Every episode should have a freeze frame indicating when it's Miller Time.

I really need a montage of all the Miller Time moments set to the Curb theme

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wxhode posted:

I'm really mad that the show got rid of the gel-filled crash couches rotating to adjust to different thrust vectors.

Similarly, they haven't shown the chairs injecting (what I'm assuming were) stims/andrenaline since the first couple episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is a very different discussion from the orbital mechanics thesis papers in past pages.

I bought Leviathan Wakes last night. I was expecting a cheap paperback, didn't realize it was a big brick of a book. Has the show completely covered Book 1 yet?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saw Feynman diagrams on a cable sci-fi show, this is officially the best goddamn show currently on TV.

RIP Miller, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him again as some kind of protomolecule recreation. The show seemed to be telegraphing the possibility, what with the extended shot of the protomolecule hand being formed, Julie Mao, and their last conversation.

Also noticed this cool bit on Wikipedia (very light book spoilers regarding a non-plot cameo): "In addition, Andy Weir's novel The Martian takes place in the same continuity as The Expanse.[8] This link is made semi-canon with the mention of a ship named the Mark Watney, based "out of Mars," in Babylon's Ashes."

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 24, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Platystemon posted:

The authors confirmed this on Twitter.

That's cool as hell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

darnon posted:

Really it could just be literally a reference to the book character. Don Quixote canonically isn't real just because they named their ship Rocinante.

Although maybe the series will end with Holden flying into a black hole in Cygnus....

I found the relevant tweet

It's not a set-in-stone thing, but still pretty cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
An inner system war would be a great smokescreen for diverting attention from your large-scale experiments. MCRN and the UN Navy would be less willing to allocate vital ships and personnel toward going after Protogen assets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Roci crew also had time to prep for that fight. The Martians were taken by surprise and rushed into battle.

Also :laffo: at the typical TVIV confusion over the captain's death. Cap was hit by debris/stray UN round, not assassinated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Toast Museum posted:

That's an interesting question. I have no idea how badly it'd tear up the hull, but I think the radiation would cook the crew and most of the electronics. You might be (relatively) okay if you happened to be on the other side of a large water tank when the thing went off, but otherwise you're probably hosed, even if the ship is salvageable.

Is it ever mentioned how ships in The Expanse handle radiation shielding, both from space itself and from their drives? Assuming that shielding is in the hull, would that be enough to protect the crew from a nuke's radiation?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Fringe taught me to treat Jared Harris characters as villains, and I'll be doing the same here. gently caress Dawes :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm not a fan of Bobbie at all, but that's mostly because the show hasn't really given us a reason to care about her yet. She may seem one-dimensional now, but I have faith in the showrunners to turn that around. I couldn't stand half the cast until halfway through season one and now I can't imagine the show without them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zigmidge posted:

Thanks to Bobbie I'm learning that tviv is as unempathetic as games.

It's been a trend for a long time. See; goon attitudes toward Skyler White

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm ok with Holden the character, but that actor is easily the weakest link in the chain when it comes to talent. It would be a bigger issue if the rest of the cast wasn't picking up more than their fair share of the slack.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Earth is George Lucas, Mars is Lucasfilm under Disney, the Belters are people who demand a theatrical cut blu-ray set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven't read the books and I could care less about spoilers, but 95% of the book spoilers that have been posted here have been behind giant walls of black that are incredibly easy to avoid. You'd have to be really careless to a) stumble over them and b) remain hovered over them long enough to actually read the spoiler itself.

This thread is good by TVIV standards and splitting it into a zero spoiler thread and a book spoiler thread would just give you two mediocre threads.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not that Star Helix is a shining beacon of integrity, but they could have just been wearing the Star Helix uniforms as a pretense for boarding ships.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Justin Credible posted:

Surprised no one mentioned the most disgusting thing in the entire series happening in the last episode. loving Amos drinking canned chicken juice. God drat.

Everything on this show involving Amos and food is a goddamn home run.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's the lovely beard

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Holden is someone playing Mass Effect as a pure Paragon with the occasional accidental Renegade. That's why he seems so boring compared to the rest of the crew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That grenade was just the pizza party trying to tell Amos his table was ready

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If Bobbie scarfing down sandwiches didn't win people over, then I'm not sure what will.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe you'll find that Miller was cool from his very first scene. I get that his arc reached a satisfactory conclusion, but the back half of this season definitely could have used some extra Miller Time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AirborneNinja posted:

I'm a little underwhelmed with the power armor so far but Bobbie is definitely cool and I hope next season does her and her supersuit justice.

I think part of the problem is that it's a SyFy budget costume and there's no way to look cool using a forearm-mounted machine gun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

See this is just a quick motion though. With a machine gun your actor has to just stand there and do zombie arms while pretending to shoot people and it looks boring and bad.

If you want to continue the Iron Man comparison, look at the drone fight in Iron Man 2. War Machine just stands there and waves his arms around.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Subyng posted:

Holding your arms out to shoot would not be functionally different than shooting a pistol with one hand, I think.

Yeah, but it doesn't make for a very dynamic shot (no pun intended). It's easier to make an interesting shot out of someone holding a gun because it looks more natural.

I didn't intend for this derail to go on this long, but at least it's not a page of book spoilers :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Snooze Cruise posted:

how did people missed this, it was what the entire episode was about

Goons are bad at watching tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009