Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Netflix still isn't announcing Season 2 .... hope I don't have to stream it from somewhere else...

April for Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I see Naomi is/was wearing one of those new disappearing sports bras. Nice to see, or rather not see, they are becoming popular. :heysexy:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

There was a slight time lapse in the scene between Naomi and Holden. They go from half nude to completely naked when the camera is looking through the door.

Holden pressed the Invisibutton™ on her FutureBra, it's an evolution of the see through of today.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's AQUA not agua. As in the Latin for water. :colbert:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Really? It sounds a lot like a G when he yells it. No other Spanish in the show tho...

I just rewatched it with my partner and the phonetic sound the belter shouts is definately akwa.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Eros is drat big peanut. It would take a hilarious amount of energy just to slow it, and all that would do is alter it's orbit a little bit. As it is a live (moving) load you are talking about an n (2?) body problem, so you have to stop the spin first, then stop the delta-v relative to the sun and it still wouldn't have had much effect.

They mentioned that spinning up Eros was a milestone for humanity in the belt and only topped by spinning Ceres up. It was a stupid idea that would never have worked.

Stupid plans dont work in the world of the Expanse. I think this is a thematic failure rather than it could never have worked anyway. They didn't "do the math" at all. They did the dramatics well enough though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That is to say, it would not work like a satellite that orbits the earth. Earth orbiting satellites are still within the atmosphere of the Earth itself, which extends out a very very long way. So those satellites still need some impulse to keep them in orbit or their velocity will degrade, which means they start to fall back to earth.

Eros is orbiting the sun by means of the gravity curve around the sun, as it is very small so far out then the period is so very much slower, that is that the rock is very slowly falling towards the sun, but because of the curve of space it never gets any closer.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Isn't there the almost exact same type of banter while they are on Gannymede? Before Caliban attempts to rape Miranda?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yes. Dawes is back.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They were previously an item. Bit of trivia, Muss (or Mus) is Old English for mouse.

Dawes running to Ganymede is motivation for the Roci crew to go there. Hopefully the show version of Marco. With Marco removed altogether. The whole history there and his relationships are gigantic, and very hard to swallow, coincidences]/spoiler] that needed half a [spoiler]book to explain. Replacing him with Dawes would make perfect sense. Dawes asking when Diago was born and saying that he ran with the same crew about then implies that could be his father, so he could replace Filip.. Dawes was probably manipulating him though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

and saw her friends torn to shreds.

She was their CO, and she let them die. She let them down and they died. She lived and now has PTSD and survivor's guilt.

jfood posted:

Why must every work of... I dunno... speculative and/or supernatural fiction... be required to have one sad-brained warrior woman waifu? WHY!?!

'I am strong, but I am broken inside...' so loving cliche.

It's almost like women suffer from the same consequences as men in the same circumstances. Like the gender isn't the main thing factor, it is the role.

It would be more realistic for her to wear a rainbow jumpsuit, call her friends, and have a girl's night out. Talking and dancing her problems away.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Responding to "[historical figure] was racist/sexist/whatever" with "well, that's just how things were back then" serves to inflate our esteem for people we might otherwise have a more mixed opinion of. Also, it ignores the fact that various forms of bigotry, while they were often more socially acceptable than they are today, were not universal; there were people pushing back against it, and "that's just what it was like in those days" can serve to minimize their efforts.

You would have totally done it differently, of course.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

My roommate tore into belter creole last night. Initially I was defensive, because nerd social fallacies, but I'm pretty sure he's not wrong. He felt like the show was doing a disservice by having it, that the characters sound stupid -- both that the speech sounds asinine and that it makes the characters seem unintelligent. That belter-speak is questionably racially charged, relying on some of the queues of stereotypical African American Vernacular English. And that the series would be more seriously considered if it didn't have to have it's own con-lang, a decidedly pulp-fiction inclusion for annoying con-going fans.

Your roommate is a navel gazing tryhard knob, tell him that for me? AA Vernacular English? I once saw an american on telly who described a black English actor as an African American Englishman.

I will admit that reading the incoherent verbiage on page was painful and they should dial it back a bit. I would be more than happy to sacrifice authentic speech for something I can understand. So that I can follow what is going on? Half of my displease for the Free Navy scenes was because for their conversation was hard to follow. I just skipped most of it.

Hardly spoilers but this is TVIV and people may will cry.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The most convincing part is the signing that the belters use. It makes a lot of sense. The creole is just local colour to distinguish them as the other.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Exotic! It's always a rare pleasure to hear the deep insights of a man who managed to develop a background in English.

Or read a post by someone who has a background in idiocy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Edit away....You can see the Martian Marines that Mei is waving at, nice attention to detail there.

Solid ep there. <3 Drummer takes no poo poo.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 16, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

vermin posted:

I wonder if Mars is footing the bill for Ganymede so they can have a greater presence in the Belt than Earth or if they're just doing it because they don't want a war that badly. But asking a question like that borders on asking book people for spoilers.

With the exception of one event, Martian politics has had more screen time on show than in the books, so far.

The reality is, the authors haven't bothered telling us anything other than, they (Why? For what reason? They never explained this.) have better scientists, and better ships (Again why do they have better ships? They were built more recently? Did Earth just stop building ships?).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Terraforming I know is this sacred thing to Martians but they have like 7 billion people living quite well without a blue sky. The priorities are keeping living conditions for those on basic stable, raising conditions in the belt, then terraforming mars with what's left over. Earth can become a utopian paradise, mars can get terraformed, and the belt can be raised up to a new system-wide guaranteed standard of living.

It is a fudge, if they didn't have the project they would have a lot of unemployed people just like earth. Which brings us back to why the Martian propaganda is flawed, surely the UN have a lot of unemployed people lying about to help clean the place up?

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Selection effects, a disproportionate percentage of Martians are smart, energetic people. They had to be, to save up and decide to go or be worth it for an employer to sponsor them. They also have environmental effects driving their culture towards more effort and ingenuity.

One thing that's weird about the books is that a really high percentage of Belters would seem to need 120+ IQs to be able to do a lot of what they do, like fly ships and run highly technical poo poo in zero g and vacuum. I can't believe that they've simplified it enough that anyone can do it. Some of the book belters do discuss their belief that all of the reckless people who didn't follow checklists died off and they've probably got a much higher percentage of "don't be a gently caress up" genes than Earthers.

:biotruths: I once read an EE Doc Smith book, probably Skylark, where the protagonist harped on about how the USA would always be ahead of Europe intellectually, because all the talent emigrated there, as it was the intelligent thing to do, like self selecting geographical eugenics. It was bullshit then and it is bullshit now and would be just as much of a steaming pile of poo poo in this future. This kind of genetic, intellectual determinism is pure quackery. Away with you. They could have just said that living at 1/3g increases brain capacity, since we just don't know if that would be true, yet.

Still doesn't explain the ships, those stealth mini-ships that Mao built, poo poo all over the pride of the Martian navy, and they were built by/in/on Earth. Earth has the money, technology, and capacity to embarrass Mars. The authors haven't given us a good reason why Mars is better, other than we said so. There is a lot of that where Mars is concerned. Like 7 billion Martians, and all of them serve?. :what:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I decided to work out how many Martian would be serving in their military if everybody has to serve.

If we are super conservative it would mean 400m-500m service personnel, aged 18-26, not including career soldiers. That seems like...a lot.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Daktari posted:

The Errenwright confession; is it a fake out? Yeah, he handed over a lot of intel Adersevala (sp) didn't have, but I don't trust the bugger

To be fair the show has been at pains to present him coming to the realisation that he has been dropped like so much flaming dog poo, and that Eros made him reassess his priorities. He is cutting a deal as best he can. There is zero chance that the 2nd in command of Earth would be put on trial for anything during a time of heightened tension/war with Mars.

Oh and Caliban is the son of Sycorax, a deformed child (possibly the counter character of Puck).

Wikipedia "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare posted:

After his island becomes occupied by Prospero and his daughter Miranda, Caliban is forced into servitude. While he is referred to as a calvaluna or mooncalf, a freckled monster, he is the only human inhabitant of the island that is otherwise "not honour'd with a human shape" (Prospero, I.2.283). In some traditions he is depicted as a wild man, or a deformed man, or a beast man, or sometimes a mix of fish and man. Caliban is a Cambion, the half-human son of Sycorax by (according to Prospero, though this is not confirmed) a devil. Banished from Algiers, Sycorax was left on the isle, pregnant with Caliban, and died before Prospero's arrival.

The name refers to the PM monster and how they make the monsters and I assume the attempted rape of Miranda was the attack on the Marines/Bobbie. That could make Bobbie Miranda in that analogy.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 31, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought the first step in terraforming mars is run a bunch of Oort objects (very large space icebergs/spaceberg?) into it. What would be the next step?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

a few more notes

i like the direction we're going with errinwright. anything that gives more motivation and internal depth to characters on screen is good. we really do seem to be pushing the angle of "maybe mars is working with mao", we don't really know, but the fact that mars is talking about reparations and such with earth is not consistent with an idea that mars has a new super powerful bioweapon

second, im not a plant biologist, or an ecologist. do people really talk about cascades like that? or was it invented wholesale by the writers/scripters?

When we have a closed artificial system like Gannymede, with associated experts and jargon, then I will let you know. It does sound technically probable, but I am no agritech.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

So I'm listening to the podcast and the authors just said the people we saw this episode are NOT on Basic, they are unregistered. The guy on the med school waiting list may be an exception who's there trying to help.

He couldn't get into a digital learning program because? I can't think of a good reason other than access to a terminal. Bits/bytes don't exactly cost much if anything. Or he was lying. Or it was just pathos play for Bobbie.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holden is someone playing Mass Effect as a pure Paragon with the occasional accidental Renegade. That's why he seems so boring compared to the rest of the crew.

Why is he called Holden and the others by their first names*? Even Naomi (nobody calls her Nagata), the woman who is having sexy times with him, calls him Holden.

Also he is always wrong about the small and medium things. If he makes a snap decision they should always do the opposite. It would make for some interesting comedy.

*This is also true of other characters, like Avasarala (always Chrisjen or Madam Whateverhertitleis) and Errinwright (is always that). Interestingly Fred Johnson is almost always referred to as Fred Johnson. That is until he is christened Fred "Motherfucking" Johnson. At the end of S3 I assume :v:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Maybe he doesn't like his first name? :shrug: I dunno, I go by my middle name because I have the same first name as my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather (actually now that I think of it, two great-grandfathers).

Is your family Scottish or of that origin? My family is the same, only if there are multiple boys, the second and third born get: William, Robert or John (whichever was not the fathers name). We have a family tree that goes back to the 13th century and its always the same. It can get super confusing at weddings.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

He's an unaligned rear end in a top hat in a boat that happens to be obviously Martian-built, which would make him either a defector or a hijacker...

Is there some reason why the fleets didn't start shooting at each other when the Karakum went down? Does Earth have stealth torpedoes?

None. It was a black ops boat but hardly something they can deny.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probably best not to push their luck, they are clear.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

How come Naomi can speak clearly and use real words while most belters all talk in their heavy dialect? Is she code shifting when around real humans vs belters? There were a few scenes where she was trying to relate to some lower class belters and suddenly she adopted all their accent and slang but around the Rocci she talks properly.

Probably from her time on the Cant. Her workmates probably got sick of it and got her some elocution lessons.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Subyng posted:

I dont think errinwright was pretending. From his point of view his life is basically over once it goes to the courts, so he doesn't exactly have anything to lose by betraying avasarala. This is basically his last ditch attempt at trying to salvage the situation.

The turning/flip point was when she told him she was meeting with Mao. He got a bit jelly.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Jasper thing is a bit stupid though? They just decided that nah we want to keep the character. A spear through the chest is no biggy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Did the book do it logically though? Spoilers for next season If the whole of the ship was transported at once, then that means every part of the ship is affected by the slow zone entirely, including maneo. He should have had as much inertia as every atom of the ship including the hydrogen and oxygen in the air. Which by all rights should have ignited on being crushed if it didnt. What about the fixtures? How deep into the hull does the slow field penetrate. By rights his ship should have exploded after being turned into a disc of pure nutronium one atom thick. The amount of kinetic energy his ship had and it 100% transfered into only Maneo? Humph. Not hard sci-fi, but cool sounding sci-fi.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rewatching the second season again. When Johnson holds that speech with all the clans, a certain clan is named loudly and there isn't even any flinching from specific parties.

I'm kinda hoping Marco just ends up as a "trusted" lieutenant of Dawes, who would be a far, far better mastermind for coming apocalypse. With fine actor and an established fanatic character.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

All the human-built structures on Eros and the very rock itself would crumble under the forces involved.

Earthquakes devastate large portions of Earth’s surface and that’s child’s play.

Either the protomolecule can apply force to individual atoms or it skips Newton’s second law and manipulates velocity directly.

It’s magic, and that’s okay.

It could possibly have something to do with the higgs field. :iiam:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

I loving hated the peaches redemption arc. Filip also. gently caress that noise

Brainwashed children raised to worship their demigod megacorp solar system dominating ceo father, do stupid things because they believe stupid things in the belief they are doing good by their worship figure.

A story older than the bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Why did they write a time jump then? They must have a completely different ending for the TV show in mind. They are not even up to end of the second book yet. This one has got to end with the opening of the gates. If the plan is for 5 seasons where do they go from there?

I'm going to spoiler the speculation, don't read it if you don't want to know the plot of future books.

Are they going to have earth bombed and the martians through the gates in the first episode, spend half the season killing Marco and saving earth with the martians coming back in their new ships in the latter half? Or something entirely different?

At what point can they end the show satisfactorily?

• Locked thread