Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just caught up on the season, it's really good poo poo.

I don't recall Bobbie being this aggressively hawkish in the books though, so I think that stands out weird so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

His ship maintained a constant acceleration over 4g's for several weeks. 4g's means he weighs 4 times what he does on Earth and since he was Martian born he was already used to a lower gravity so he wasn't able to move. This was a first because the Epstein drive was able to maintain acceleration for weeks or even months at a time when humans were still using chemical drives to do short burns in order to transit between worlds.

He died on the ship and it's still out there, going far beyond the solar system. Earth had a fleet in transit to blow up Mars at the time over a resource conflict and Mars bought peace by giving Earth the drive technology so they also had access to the near infinite wealth of the Solar system and the cold war has persisted until the shows timeline.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They could have definitely cut a bunch of Bobby scenes throughout the season and given her half an episode to go through some bonding and then the Ganymede scene. I'm interested to see how fast they accelerate her from this point on though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The show really likes to ignore physics for theatrical effect in this season, I really liked season 1 based on the fact it tried to be realistic. The spacing is a good example, she floats there for several seconds as she loses her breath rather than being explosively decompressed and blown into space like a rocket.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you think of Mars as space Israel it starts making a lot more sense.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

Well, everyone gets chemically sterilized at birth and needs to prove economic stability to get it reversed, IIRC.

There exists a sizeable underground population though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Basic in the books just seemed... well, basic. You had a tiny apartment, rationed access to necessities, enough food/simple clothing/etc to survive on. If you had any ambition for anything better you had to fight tooth and nail to get a job or some sort of training. If you were satisfied with just vegging out in your shoebox on the space internet forever then you were taken care of.

Then there's an underclass that fell through the cracks in a variety of ways that isn't on Basic, which is what Amos talks about and what I assumed we were seeing this episode.

The guy said he'd been on the vocational list since he was 17. He's got basic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Again, just because they might have Basic doesn't mean they wouldn't be out on the streets trying to make money (scrip), acquire other things, or participating in other things. Again, Basic doesn't equal money/scrip.

Bolow posted:

University students who are on basic still have to pay for some things, in the books a lot of them work their rear end off for a year or two before heading off to college to just barely make it by. If they don't find employment a couple years out of college they also get thrown back on basic and all that work was for effectively gently caress all

Yeah but that wasn't what I was addressing. Grand Fromage was saying that the people we saw were probably the underclass that exists below basic, but they aren't, basic is just that lovely.

It's kind of strange though. Because my impression of basic was that it was just above squalor because it's a measure to ensure social stability. But if your underclass lives that like it's gonna be anything but stable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think New York, the epicenter of the global UN government, would be an upper tier example of basic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah, as someone who grew up in D.C. in the 80s and 90s, this was very true during that period. One of the most dangerous areas was along North Capitol Street within full view of the Capitol Building.

Yeah but you also had leaded fuel back then.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Need more self contained arcologies, like the system on Ganymede.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There was one biodome experiment where the tree's ended up collapsing on themselves from their own weight, because there was no wind in the system to strengthen the tree's.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Avasarala is still being a bit two faced about the whole thing though. The evidence she was handed clearly exonerates Mars from anything to do with the proto molecule and puts the blame squarely on Mao and his UN cronies, but she tries to use it as a lever to open up Bobbie.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I would have liked Alex to be older like he is in the books. I get why you can't have an old pot bellied hero in today's television world but one character wouldn't have made the show any less than it is.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's actually kind of surprising that major population hubs in the belt haven't been wiped out by someone going super ballistic and smashing into a station at relativistic speeds. How would you even counter someone trying that? How could you intercept in time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

'I was just making sure they didn't lose our luggage'

:getin:

• Locked thread